Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Ideas for new tour and album
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: March 29, 2011 23:25

dewlover
your obvious disliking of the band

haha...adorable!

Sorry dewlover, am I missing something here? Did you happen to sit in with the band and Michael Cohl when they were hashing out new tour ideas? You seem VERY confident that your suggestions are actual options for them IF/when they go on tour. And yes, you've tweaked my theory to your favor. I spoke about what would most likely happen...which is: we'd get the same dog and pony show we always get. You came and gave us all these hypotheticals about unplugged tours and club shows. I was talking about what they would bring to the table on a new tour, musically. The fact that they can change the format of the show is great...it still depends on how well they can play. I've already explained my issue with Keith above. It's about the MUSIC not whether or not they play with acoustic guitars for 2 hours.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 29, 2011 23:38

scaled down arena tour minus all the frills and high prices, or do something like cream did a few years ago that would sit fine with me

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 29, 2011 23:47

do something like cream did a few years ago that would sit fine with me

yeah that would be cool.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 30, 2011 00:47

sirdoug
"The Rolling Stones Play Chess" - all blues covers by Little Milton, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Buddy Guy, Chuck Berry, etc.

Can't you see the album cover? A lame 60's type photograph of Keith and Hubert Sumlin playing chess outdoors in some Chicago park.

As far as a tour is concerned? I don't care. I just want new music...or in this case new, old music.

Brilliant!

(Its a good idea musically too - although they'd never do it. There's no royalties).

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 30, 2011 01:57

If its going to be The Stones last tour I think it would be really cool to see The Stones wearing their suits while they're performing with invited guests doing the same.The same sort of dresscode they have for musicians and guests on the night they induct someone into The Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame..smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-30 02:16 by colonial.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 30, 2011 04:53

I think that we should leave the poor Rolling Stones alone! lol

Plus we in the fan base are getting old, and I bet most of us haven't gone to concerts regularly in years.

If there is a heaven, then it should realize all of your fantasies. Seeing the Rolling Stones live in the Sixties and Seventies is on my list. I am going to see the show at MSG in 1969 and have a blast! lol I am going to check out the Summer of Love. I'm going back to Expo67.

The Stones don't need to tour, time has really caught up with all of us. I wish that we could turn the clock back sometimes but we can't.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 30, 2011 05:20

The Stones don't have to have these gigantically inflated costing tours if they do indeed tour again - they could do it like everyone else does - at more sane prices. Lose the stupid inflatables and fire works and backing band and now yer talkin' some cost cuts.

Of course they don't and won't tour for the love of music - it's strictly for the love of tons of money. A new album is moot and not needed.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 30, 2011 13:24

skipstone
The Stones don't have to have these gigantically inflated costing tours if they do indeed tour again - they could do it like everyone else does - at more sane prices. Lose the stupid inflatables and fire works and backing band and now yer talkin' some cost cuts.

Of course they don't and won't tour for the love of music - it's strictly for the love of tons of money. A new album is moot and not needed.

thumbs up A new album is not needed above all if it's similar to the awful ABB.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 30, 2011 14:09

MileHigh
I think that we should leave the poor Rolling Stones alone! lol

Plus we in the fan base are getting old, and I bet most of us haven't gone to concerts regularly in years.

The Stones don't need to tour, time has really caught up with all of us. I wish that we could turn the clock back sometimes but we can't.

Speak for yourself, mate! smiling smiley I think there's quite a few of us who still go to lots of shows in clubs and other small local venues and whose concert-going existence isn't dependent on the Stones.

With the Stones not having toured in four years, I've probably been to more shows than ever before in that time, even though I've had less money to spend on them. Travelling around to Stones gigs fairly drains the financial resources. Whilst I'd like to see them again, their absence has done me a bit of a favour as I've been able to discover lots of other music that I probably would have missed otherwise.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 30, 2011 16:50

During the recording of Voodoo Lounge, the band was based out of Ronnie's former home in Dublin. During the recording of A Bigger Bang, the band was based out of Mick's chateau in Pussy sur Sissy (Pocé sur Cissé).

So why not next set up the base at Charlie's place or Keith's place? Especially Keith's house above Ocho Rios would be great, given the fact they could bring in the local reggae influence in person of Wingless Angels drummers as guest artists.

Rob Fraboni did a great job as co-producer on Bridges, so why not let him do the whole album?

Given Ronnie's recent popularity in the media, he deserves to get a lead vocal on a Stones album. It's about time. How about splitting the lead vocals up as 2 by Keith, 1 by Ronnie and the rest by Mick?

"A Bigger Bang" totally lacked the band's country influence. It would be great if they could present more country and English folk influences on the next album.

Revisiting the 2002 Paris Licks sessions for new material could be a good idea, too.

The tour? No stadiums anymore. No huge stage setup anymore. That way, it would not be too expensive to have several days of rest between gigs.

Date: March 30, 2011 16:55

Didn't Keith sell the house in Jamaica?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 30, 2011 17:06

MileHigh

i can't speak for most - but i'm sure there are many like myself who are seeing more live music in our 40's and 50's than we ever did in our relative youth.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 30, 2011 17:20

StonesTod
MileHigh

i can't speak for most - but i'm sure there are many like myself who are seeing more live music in our 40's and 50's than we ever did in our relative youth.

yeah!

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: March 30, 2011 17:58

No more tours, just open the vaults and make all the fans happy!

Date: March 30, 2011 18:10

I would love leftovers of Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock'N'Roll, Black And Blue, Some Girls, Emotional Rescue, Undercover and Voodoo Lounge to be released instead of a new LP. Not reissue each album either, just put out the 'rarities' disc like they did with Exile as a stand alone album.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: March 30, 2011 21:41

No Justin, you are flat out wrong again...Your exact statement was; "there's nothing new they can bring. Seeing a show would really make us painfully aware how better they were the last time they were on tour."

That, my friend, as i have already established, is a totally false statement...Unless your point is that there has already been Rolling Stones concerts in the past, you are incorrect...Nothing was "tweaked" pal, no where in that post did you say anything about "most likely happen", you are now revising what you actually said, i was responding to what you said, not your revision of it...

Now you can either retract what you said, or accept the fact that it is untrue...There clearly are many approaches that would be something "new" for them...Whether or not it is likely they will do anything i described is a separate matter, and irrelevant to my point...

btw, who made you spokesman for ALL Stones fans? I'm looking forward to seeing them again, and "painfully aware" that there are naysayers out there who like to post negative comments about the band...

Date: March 30, 2011 21:57

dewlover
btw, who made you spokesman for ALL Stones fans?

i did. the pay sucks but there's great prestige.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 30, 2011 22:02

For the glory, StonesTod, it's all about the glory.

Date: March 30, 2011 22:47

StonesTod
dewlover

Haha. I'll need to go back to my tailor for a refitting of my cape and sash. I don't wanna look like a fool, after all.

dewlover, we're coming from different sides. My statement was clear to those who see the same things as me. I've reached a point where I've outgrown my fanboy hat and I'm taking a harder stance on the quality they're putting down. As a musician myself, I know the ups and downs of being "on the ball" musically. I understand Keith's logic...less is more and all that stuff. But his blatant disregard for the music and his unwillingness to admit his own physical limitations does not sit well with me--ESPECIALLY when I shell $400 a seat.

We see different things. You see your favorite band playing those songs and won't notice that Keith isn't giving it his all or Ronnie is slacking off...or that version of "Sympathy For The Devil" was stale as hell. Hell, if I'm at a show...I'd have a good time too. But it's hard to embrace the fact that I'm attending these shows simply for the spectacle and the company and no more for the content--the music. It takes a secondary position.

What the Stones would bring to the table in a new tour is nothing we haven't seen before: Huge-ass stage (with accompanying B-stage, gigantic screen and enough lights to rival the Vegas strip), warhorses, Keith playing even less and less rhythm, Charlie steady as a rock, Ronnie picking up the slack for Keith thereby compromising the role he was hired to do (support and complement Keith---not FILL IN for Keith) and Chuck laying down a foundation underneath the guitars to fill in for the missing rhythm playing.

I'm not even sure what we're arguing anymore...what they COULD do, what they WILL do or what they MIGHT do?? I'm talking to the whole package...the tour approach (arenas/stadiums/clubs) and quality of performances. The latter being the biggest issue--which I assumed EVERYONE on this board would be most concerned about--- not if they did stadium shows. Damn, I wouldn't care if they did stadium shows forever if only they played those songs DAMN well. But they don't--not to my ears---or wallet.

In the meantime, I'll fill out these forms to retract my statements if that makes you happy. It takes 2-3 weeks for the forms to process.

Date: March 30, 2011 22:52

justin case you missed it....a very fine post, my man.

Date: March 30, 2011 22:56

Thanks, can I get that raise now?

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: March 30, 2011 23:00

Great post, Justin!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 31, 2011 00:26

Excellent post Justin

Date: March 31, 2011 03:53

A comment Justin -

the t-shirt(s) you get at a Stones show is always going to be better (sharper, obviously) than the "band"/concert - plus it lasts longer. But not much if you wear it. These t-shirts, just like the Stones, wilt under hot lights.

Date: March 31, 2011 21:05

Thanks, guys.

I dread going over to the merch table because I'm a sucker for the crap they sell. I usually walk a way with a shirt and a poster...

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: March 31, 2011 21:13

Justin
StonesTod
dewlover

Haha. I'll need to go back to my tailor for a refitting of my cape and sash. I don't wanna look like a fool, after all.

dewlover, we're coming from different sides. My statement was clear to those who see the same things as me. I've reached a point where I've outgrown my fanboy hat and I'm taking a harder stance on the quality they're putting down. As a musician myself, I know the ups and downs of being "on the ball" musically. I understand Keith's logic...less is more and all that stuff. But his blatant disregard for the music and his unwillingness to admit his own physical limitations does not sit well with me--ESPECIALLY when I shell $400 a seat.

We see different things. You see your favorite band playing those songs and won't notice that Keith isn't giving it his all or Ronnie is slacking off...or that version of "Sympathy For The Devil" was stale as hell. Hell, if I'm at a show...I'd have a good time too. But it's hard to embrace the fact that I'm attending these shows simply for the spectacle and the company and no more for the content--the music. It takes a secondary position.

What the Stones would bring to the table in a new tour is nothing we haven't seen before: Huge-ass stage (with accompanying B-stage, gigantic screen and enough lights to rival the Vegas strip), warhorses, Keith playing even less and less rhythm, Charlie steady as a rock, Ronnie picking up the slack for Keith thereby compromising the role he was hired to do (support and complement Keith---not FILL IN for Keith) and Chuck laying down a foundation underneath the guitars to fill in for the missing rhythm playing.

I'm not even sure what we're arguing anymore...what they COULD do, what they WILL do or what they MIGHT do?? I'm talking to the whole package...the tour approach (arenas/stadiums/clubs) and quality of performances. The latter being the biggest issue--which I assumed EVERYONE on this board would be most concerned about--- not if they did stadium shows. Damn, I wouldn't care if they did stadium shows forever if only they played those songs DAMN well. But they don't--not to my ears---or wallet.

In the meantime, I'll fill out these forms to retract my statements if that makes you happy. It takes 2-3 weeks for the forms to process.

That sums it up!!!

I believe the fans would appreciate it if Keef said..."Look mate, my guitar playing days are very limited, my fingers are fcked up, so I'll play a little guitar, while we welcome back and old Mate to help us out...Mr. Mick Taylor!"

Date: March 31, 2011 21:20

To me, the ONLY way they could possibly justify $400 tickets on the next tour is only if they bring on Mick Taylor. That in itself is beyond impossible. But I think that's the only way they can pull another one over us and say "yeah, we'll go on tour...we're charging $400 a seat...but we got Mick Taylor. Deal with it!"

But the current lineup in their current condition? I dunno about that. Bring the tickets down to $100-$150...damn, Keith can just sit there on stage and read a copy of "Life" and I'll be just fine.

Date: March 31, 2011 21:21

Bingo
Justin
StonesTod
dewlover

That sums it up!!!

I believe the fans would appreciate it if Keef said..."Look mate, my guitar playing days are very limited, my fingers are fcked up, so I'll play a little guitar, while we welcome back and old Mate to help us out...Mr. Mick Taylor!"

i like it. keef could just be the Emcee and maybe help with ushering chores, shaking everyone's hand as they exit and thank them for their patronage through the years and whatnot. a very lovely and fitting end to a career.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 31, 2011 21:44

StonesTod
will the announcement come via boat? helicopter? train? go-cart? other forms of transportation"?

Probably a rollator.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: March 31, 2011 21:48

A tour like No Security looks great for me. I would love.
Concerning a new album I think the Ben Waters idea very good. A boogie woogie album would be great. But of course the Stones never will release something like that. But maybe a lot of blues songs, soul songs with an old atmosphere. Well, I am crazy. It´s just a dream.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1005
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home