Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Jagger Grammy Rehearsal for "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" in HD
Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: May 6, 2011 11:25

Has this been on IORR before? Never saw it up, great footage...

Re: Mick Jagger Grammy Rehearsal for "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" in HD
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 6, 2011 11:55

I've posted about this before elsewhere, but I think that nothing bad will happen if I post again. it fits on

This is expert from the interview with Terrance Taplin trombonist with Raphael Saadiq's band

The Grammys had to be exciting, but I’m sure there were expectations by Raphael, Mick Jagger, and all concerned that things be perfect. Talk about the process of rehearsing with a legendary master entertainer who has been on top for 40 years.

As Raphael is respected as having one of the tightest bands in the industry, we were asked to back Mick Jagger in a tribute. We had two rehearsals before the Grammy performance. The Grammys rented the rehearsal space, so there were other performers there as well. Bob Dylan and Willow Smith were two artists rehearsing at the same time we did. Raphael has one of the best bands in the business so rehearsals went smoothly. Mick was great as well and displayed high energy every take. Despite his legendary status he is really a friendly guy. He wanted to meet everybody in the band and was very encouraging.

Between takes the band would keep things loose by playing, like when we spontaneously launched into a slow Muddy Waters-type blues. Mick was ready and surprised us when he pulled out a harmonica and started to jam with us. He can play very well. That really blew us away. Then he began to sing an improvised blues which floored us as well.

There was also a dress rehearsal at the Staples Center. I remember how the security was not messing around. The size of the stage and the production was a bit overwhelming at first, but once we took the stage it was like any other bandstand.

Were there any other notable people hanging around during rehearsal?

It was kind of cool to be behind the scenes watching the other artists rehearse. I remember Rihanna’s SUV rolling up and seeing her high-tail it to the stage so she could rehearse with Dr. Dre and Eminem.

During the final run-through on the morning of the day of the show I literally bumped into Usher on the way to the stage. We passed Cee-Lo on the way to the stage and he gave us some encouragement as we set up to play. As we waited in place for the signal to begin the performance, Mick began to do a little call and response chant to get us pumped and loosened up. The performance felt good and natural, just like a hundred others, so there were no jitters. We rocked the house.

What about the after parties? Did you and Jamelle hang til the early morning sipping champagne and schmoozing up business lunches with the rich, famous, and “pretty” people? You gotta think that there are some people who would literally sell their souls to be on the guest list and have access…

After the show my wife and I grabbed a bite to eat, then went to bed. The day was long and we were tired, so we didn’t do the after party thing. Mick wrote everyone a thank-you letter a few days later. We also received gift baskets from him. We all thought that was very classy and we appreciated it very much. Well, that’s the Hollywood story.

[www.nola.com]

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 6, 2011 12:55

Nice video, good quality this time. Thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 6, 2011 12:57

Pop Quiz: Raphael Saadiq
...Saadiq talked about jamming with Mick Jagger at the Grammys.

Q: How did you get the call to play with Mick Jagger at the Grammys?

A: He just called me and said, "Hey, it's Mick." He's a regular cat. He's the type of dude who can walk into any bar. The Stones are like that. They're just a blues band.

Q: Are you as upset as everyone else that he didn't acknowledge you onstage?

A: He did! He brought me up there. He said my name a few times. He calls me Ray. He was screaming my name the whole time. Sometimes small things can kill a person who wants to be big. That was a very small thing.

Q: When you won your own Grammy in 2003, you were kind of indifferent about it.

A: Awards don't clap for you. The music academy is great. There are a lot of great people who have won a ton of awards. But, for the most part, I did it with Mick. I wouldn't trade that for a trophy.

Read more: [www.sfgate.com]

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 6, 2011 13:34

CrissCrossMind
Has this been on IORR before? Never saw it up, great footage...

Yes,CCM,The Sicilian had posted it before .winking smiley
See here :
[www.iorr.org]

xox from France

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: May 6, 2011 22:12

Thanks my dear Sway :^) I'll give it one more spin, excellent quality and all...

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: May 7, 2011 11:32

fantastic stuff

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: May 7, 2011 11:33

wanna copy to facebook : anyone know how to ?

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: May 7, 2011 18:02

"Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" has got to be some of the Stones' weakest material.

I think Jack and Jill went up the hill is more complex musically and melodically.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-05-07 18:02 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 7, 2011 18:36

I didn't know about people being "upset" because Mick didn't say Ray's name. Did he? I don't remember. What does it matter? I dunno.

Is there a better version of this? Not so fuzzy I mean?

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 7, 2011 18:44

skipstone
Is there a better version of this? Not so fuzzy I mean?

May be the CBS' one ? cool smiley

Or on your TV ?

smiling smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home