Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Lonely at the top
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 17, 2011 00:19

How can he ruin such a good outtake like this ... would have been perfect for Some Girl Deluxe version.

Re: Lonely at the top
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 17, 2011 00:28

The STB version is actually not bad, the only song on that album that sounds like Mick Jagger. The SG outtake version is a good one.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 17, 2011 00:54

I don't like the SG version. Sounds as though the speed just drags, and the vocal is poor.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 17, 2011 01:29

The Stones version is great. A little work and it should have been complete.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 17, 2011 01:50

It's actually a Emotional Rescue outtake from 1979.

Posted by: hedegaard ()
Date: March 17, 2011 02:13

Jaggers solo version really rocks - the stones version is nothing IMO.

Bo

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 17, 2011 05:59

The outtake shows what the song might have become. Good one as far as my opinion is concerned. Those sessions were very productive from a creative standpoint. Some Girls should have been a double album, or Emotional rescue made stronger with some other tracks where the outs we now know really showed some promise. The Mick solo treatment of "Lonely at the Top" is sad compared to what the Stones were originally working on.

Date: March 17, 2011 14:37

filstan
The outtake shows what the song might have become. Good one as far as my opinion is concerned. Those sessions were very productive from a creative standpoint. Some Girls should have been a double album, or Emotional rescue made stronger with some other tracks where the outs we now know really showed some promise. The Mick solo treatment of "Lonely at the Top" is sad compared to what the Stones were originally working on.

...awful treatment

Date: March 17, 2011 14:45

STB version: OK, not bad at all.
Live Aid version: Hilariously bad, imo.
Stones version: Interesting, at best.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 17, 2011 17:12

Ah shit, how awful that Jagger's Live Aid performance is. Tries so hard, over-moves, over-acts, but nothing actually moves or happens. He lost so much during those three years out of stage - from the omnipotent self-secure rock god into nervous pop star wannabe. All form, no substance.

- Doxa

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 17, 2011 17:20

.....Doxa...it was the coke....

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: March 17, 2011 17:41

The ouutake sounds promising, but it's just so lazy! ...

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: March 17, 2011 21:33

I agree with Handova, I prefer the Mick Version LP version from 1985.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 18, 2011 05:10

Not sure if we can speak of two VERSIONS of the same song ... sounds more like two totally different songs which have just the song title in common ...

Posted by: Dayokay ()
Date: March 18, 2011 18:04

I like it a lot. groovy feel. Bill is on fire!

Date: March 18, 2011 20:27

alimente
Not sure if we can speak of two VERSIONS of the same song ... sounds more like two totally different songs which have just the song title in common ...

Unfortunately is the same song and so...no Deluxe.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 18, 2011 20:58

Unfortunately, it is the same song - that's why Mick gave Keith a co-writing credit on the album and why a song on the same album with the same name of a Stones outtake - "Lucky in Love" (Stones outtake bootlegged as "Do You Get Enough?") doesn't have a co-writing credit for Keith.

Date: March 18, 2011 22:19

Rocky Dijon
Unfortunately, it is the same song - that's why Mick gave Keith a co-writing credit on the album and why a song on the same album with the same name of a Stones outtake - "Lucky in Love" (Stones outtake bootlegged as "Do You Get Enough?") doesn't have a co-writing credit for Keith.

...this is safe!

thumbs downthumbs down

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 18, 2011 22:24

Do You Get Enough sounds nothing like Lucky In Love! And Mick's Lucky In Love is much better - except for that horrible guitar.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: March 18, 2011 22:25

Is Keith lonely at the Top !!!!

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: March 18, 2011 22:38

Doxa
Ah shit, how awful that Jagger's Live Aid performance is. Tries so hard, over-moves, over-acts, but nothing actually moves or happens. He lost so much during those three years out of stage - from the omnipotent self-secure rock god into nervous pop star wannabe. All form, no substance.

- Doxa

I agree with you to a point, Doxa. It all seems very glossy and superficial musically and visually. However, Jagger's vocals were still far better then than what they have become in recent more years. Same with his moves. Everything is exaggerated, although i still feel he was capable of delivering the goods, with perhaps a change of attitude. Now, i feel, the magical has gone forever.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 19, 2011 06:35

it's amazing that he thought this was the approach that would win him Jackson-level superstardom as a solo artist. He seems just totally coked up and sloppy. I guess that's part of his appeal as a true blue rocker, but with the faceless, alarmingly trend-oriented '80s backing, he seems without any context. When Tina joined him, at least there was some entertainment.

plus, how brazen was it to come out for a major charity event and plug your new material?

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: April 1, 2011 19:41

I liked the live aid version. He was on the outs with the rest of the band at that time so he was doing his rock star thing. Besides the drugs(lol) Mick could go out and let it all loose. Shit he only had four songs to do and didn't have to worry about his pipes as he would on a tour. If you remember the disaster Keith and Woods did with dylan at that show Mick came out smelling like a rose.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2276
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home