Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Scotty Moore lick that Keith can't get down
Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: March 30, 2011 16:23

Keith "Life"
It's on "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone." I think it's in E major. He has a rundown when it hits the 5 chord, the B down to the A down to the E, which is like a yodeling sort of thing, which I've never been quite able to figure. It's also on "Baby Let's Play House." When you get to "But don't you be nobody's fool/Now baby, come back, baby..." and right at that last line, the lick is in there. It's probably some simple trick. But it goes too fast, and also there's a bunch of notes involved: which finger moves and which one doesn't?

I'm trying to figure out what lick he's talking about. Is it perhaps in the solo? After the rundown from B to A to E which is played twice?

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Re: The Scotty Moore lick that Keith can't get down
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 30, 2011 16:49

I wonder how many of Keith's licks that Scotty would manage without problems ..

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 30, 2011 16:56

The lick he describes is here:
[www.megaupload.com]

The end of the line "Don't You Be Nobody's Fool" is first in this sample, and at the 15 second mark of the 2nd song.
I mashed them together so you can easily hear the identical riff (although in slightly different keys).

It doesn't seem particularly hard, I think KR was more referring to Scotty Moore's incredible feel that is so hard to recreate.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 30, 2011 17:17

The descending pattern on the E string of Baby, Let's Play House?

Sounds like a standard rockabilly guitar lick to me. One of the first Elvis songs I learned. Think you're right Munich. Must be the general loose rockabilly feel that Scotty pretty much created.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 30, 2011 17:47

The rundown from B to A to E, which he says has a "yodeling" feel (Which starts at 00:20 in the sample posted here) it's not on "Baby Let's Play House", is he talking about the lick Scotty plays after playing that bass note, while the acoustic guitar plays the turnaround?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 30, 2011 18:11

Wonder if Keith heard The Rhythm Kings tribute to Scotty Moore. Nice version of "Baby, Let's Play House" on there.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 30, 2011 19:12

stones78
is he talking about the lick Scotty plays after playing that bass note, while the acoustic guitar plays the turnaround?

Only Keith truly knows what Keith's talking about, but I think it must be that same lick after the bass note that you refer to. This lick is also in Let's play House although not exact. It is all over the place behind the vocals. Most prominently in the sample its after the word 'Fool' - behind the first 'Baby'...
Just smooth classic Scotty Moore.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 30, 2011 23:20

I remember hearing this when a public radio station was playing excerpts from the audio version of 'Life' and I thought wow, I've had trouble nailing that lick as well. Glad to know I'm in good company...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-30 23:24 by ChrisM.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 31, 2011 11:21

Keith Richards, Scotty, Elvis and Ron Wood @ Keith's dressing room

@The Peabody Hotel

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 31, 2011 12:24

There are some imposible licks. In my case, the intro of long cool woman by the Hollies.
Everyone can play it, but me

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 1, 2011 18:09

Turo, who are the people in the last of your photos? The man with the blonde hair looks like a man I saw having lunch with Mick in Montreal back in 1998. Just curious to see if he's a close friend.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 1, 2011 18:28

Toru A
Keith Richards, Scotty, Elvis and Ron Wood @ Keith's dressing room

There we go... I always knew the news about the death of the King were heavily exaggarated...

- Doxa

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 1, 2011 18:46

Sort of OT, I once heard a reunited Stray Cats on the L.A. radio show "Mark and Brian" and they did the most incredible version of Mystery Train, with Brian Setzer performing sheer magic on his guitar. I wish it had been a record I could buy.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 1, 2011 19:01

Mystery Train, that's a Scotty Moore's lick I could never get right.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1809
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home