Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Satanic Majesties appreciation thread
Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: March 8, 2011 12:04

I totally agree with "straycatuk" with those songs , the album whould have been one of my favorits, on the Top Ten List !!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 8, 2011 12:07

skipstone

kowalski
Without Satanic Majesties no Beggars Banquet.

Blahblahblah. How convenient of you to say that. NO appreciation from me for this LP really, just certain songs. Shit album, their second worse after Dirty Work.

My point is they had to go to this dead-end that is Satanic Majesties to go back to their roots and start all over again with a new cycle. Which happened with Beggars Banquet.

About the album itself, while there are some nice songs on it and while She's A Rainbow can be seen as a true Stones classic of the 60's, it can't compare to their previous efforts. At least those had an artistic direction and they were trying to write the best pop songs ever heard.

The album is, of course, still good as they are the Stones : whatever they do there is always something of some interest in their music. I like to see it as an album made of jams sessions. And it's actually great to hear such a band putting things together and see what happens. At the end it sounds like they experimented ideas but never bothered to finish them off.

By the way some of the best songs of the Satanic era are not on the album : Dandelion and Child Of The Moon.

Date: March 8, 2011 12:08

Ruby Friday
I totally agree with "straycatuk" with those songs , the album whould have been one of my favorits, on the Top Ten List !!
Totally; and if you worked "Child of the Moon" in there to replace either "Another Land" or "On with Show" we'd have a top LP. It's similar to ABB.
I think when we diss a Stones album here, it is usually just a couple tracks that would fix it.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 8, 2011 12:31

I find the recording sessions and what was going on in and around the Stones camp more interesting than the actual album. It was a fascinating period for the group, certainly. As an album, it's so-so. There are 4 or 5 excellent tracks and the rest I find to be atrocious. I prefer it to Dirty Work, though.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 8, 2011 13:25

It's a great album. Just don't take it too seriously and don't compare it to other Stones albums. It's a one off. Relax your mind and let the pictures come.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-08 18:52 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: March 8, 2011 18:30

I really like the song's I chose for the compilation, I think this album stands (or falls) on it's own, you can't compare it to Sgt. Pepper, Piper, Doors, Hendrix, VU or any other psychedelic classics of the time.

I liked reading through the old threads, seems like this is a love/hate kinda record.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 8, 2011 18:42

coffeepotman
I liked reading through the old threads, seems like this is a love/hate kinda record.

i think so - you generally either love hating it or hate loving it. i remember once love loving it, though, so you never know...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 8, 2011 18:47

For the last time, Child of the Moon may have been attempted in 1967, but the released version and the satanic session outtakes were recorded in 1968 thus it cannot be part of an album released before that time.

2nd worst album after Dirty Work? Bollocks! There's loads of worse albums from the stones, anyway I'd much rather hear them try to do something different than simply re-hash tired old riffs again and again like they have been doing since circa 1974.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-08 18:49 by His Majesty.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: March 9, 2011 07:41

I've noticed that original lp's of the 'lenticular'cover have become more rare in the store bins lately...anyone know exactly how many were pressed ?...I would assume at least a million..anyone collect lp's with these 3D covers from other artists ?...the only others I own or even know about are from 'Captain Beyond'...'The Stranglers' "The Raven".....peter

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 9, 2011 11:10

His Majesty
2nd worst album after Dirty Work?

Dirty Work is another "sessions" album, like were Black & Blue and Their Satanic Majesties. It seems that every 10 years or so they have to record this kind of album...

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: March 9, 2011 12:12

One of my favourite Stones albums and I LIKE Sing This All Together (See What Happens)!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 9, 2011 12:30

His Majesty
2nd worst album after Dirty Work? Bollocks! There's loads of worse albums from the stones, anyway I'd much rather hear them try to do something different than simply re-hash tired old riffs again and again like they have been doing since circa 1974.

Ha, Ha! That's what I like - a bit of passion! It's all down to individual taste. I totally understand your love for Satanic, though I don't share it.

Date: March 9, 2011 12:46

His Majesty
For the last time, Child of the Moon may have been attempted in 1967, but the released version and the satanic session outtakes were recorded in 1968 thus it cannot be part of an album released before that time.

"For the last time" ? winking smiley. Hey. we're just conversing here. I might have to talk about "Child of the Moon" and Satanic once again at a later date; not sure yet. LOL
But since the entire premise of my post is hypothetical anyway, and COM
s genesis is from the Satanic sessions - I feel like it makes perfect sense to include it in a wishlist of possibilities.
It's only rock'n roll

Date: March 9, 2011 13:36

Palace Revolution 2000

"For the last time" ? winking smiley. Hey. we're just conversing here. I might have to talk about "Child of the Moon" and Satanic once again at a later date; not sure yet. LOL
But since the entire premise of my post is hypothetical anyway, and COM
s genesis is from the Satanic sessions - I feel like it makes perfect sense to include it in a wishlist of possibilities.
It's only rock'n roll

grinning smiley Twas not directed at you specifically, it always pops up when the album is discussed.

Thing is we don't know whether it was attempted during TSMR or not, all we have is some dubious info that it may have been, no actual recordings etc.

Including Child of The Moon makes as much timescale sense as including Jigsaw Puzzle etc, they most likely could not have been included on Their Satanic Majesties Request because they probably didn't even exist as songs in 1967.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-09 14:12 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 9, 2011 14:10

Fantastic album, but judging on the boxset of outtakes they went a bit overboard in the final stage. They took it a bit too far.

But if you take out both versions of Sing This Song, and include We Love you and Dandelion it would have been one of the best spychedelic rock albums of the 60's.

Mathijs

Date: March 9, 2011 14:10

Big Al
His Majesty

Ha, Ha! That's what I like - a bit of passion! It's all down to individual taste. I totally understand your love for Satanic, though I don't share it.

thumbs up

I am puzzled how so many can think much of the stones music released post Goats Head Soup is superior to Their Satanic Majesties Request. Perhaps recycled open G riffs and familiarity = good for a lot of people!? confused smiley

Silver Dagger
It's a great album. Just don't take it too seriously and don't compare it to other Stones albums. It's a one off. Relax your mind and let the pictures come.

Exactly! It's a trip, an experiment and there are some unique feels and emotions in there that you don't find on any other stones albums.

Their Satanic Majesties Request and it's outtakes are fantastic and imo it's a shame that they didn't allow more of that unique feel to carry over in to Beggars Banquet! smoking smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 9, 2011 16:43

Bunch of junk. It's the only album that I haven't replace with the CD.

Date: March 9, 2011 17:09

His Majesty

But I like it as part of my compilation CD. I think it's fits nicely right after 2000 light years and before the last minute of See What Happens. The last song being On With the Show.

Someone made a fantastic instrumental compilations from the outtakes, it's in one of the other threads, well worth checking out. Great job.

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: March 9, 2011 17:15

A good Stones album of consistent quality. I think it has 5 good tracks, and no bad ones. It seems to have parodistic elements, like some of their other work of the Brian Jones era seems to have. Definitely a core Stones album.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: March 9, 2011 17:48

Love it. Agree, could have been much better. Keith said it was an album made "under the influence of bail." Too true.

Posted by: purepop ()
Date: March 9, 2011 18:02

Sleepy City
coffeepotman
I don't care for it

My least fave (apart from See What Happens) is probably The Lantern. I've always loved Gomper though! smiling bouncing smiley

I Love Gomper too!

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: March 9, 2011 18:09

There is 2 good songs on the entire album - a complete waste of an otherwise amazing and historical summer.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: March 9, 2011 18:11

When did VU become "pyschedelic"??

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 9, 2011 19:18

harlito1969
There is 2 good songs on the entire album - a complete waste of an otherwise amazing and historical summer.

but...but....but, it came out in december....ok a waste of a summer if you were down-under, i spose

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: March 9, 2011 19:29

coffeepotman
Someone made a fantastic instrumental compilations from the outtakes, it's in one of the other threads, well worth checking out. Great job.

Better still, someone managed to overdub vocals from the released takes onto some of the instrumental outtakes (these "outfakes" of '2000 Light Years From Home' & 'She's A Rainbow' work especially well).

Date: March 9, 2011 21:30

coffeepotman

But I like it as part of my compilation CD. I think it's fits nicely right after 2000 light years and before the last minute of See What Happens. The last song being On With the Show.

Be as well sticking any song from any era if it fits then.

Date: March 9, 2011 21:52

His Majesty
coffeepotman

Be as well sticking any song from any era if it fits then.

That's the joy of making your own compilation, you can put what ever you want on it

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: March 10, 2011 00:44

I should have said the recording over the summer. There had to be other songs that were much better.

Date: March 10, 2011 00:53

harlito1969
I should have said the recording over the summer. There had to be other songs that were much better.

Some of the outtakes are musically superior to stuff on the released album and show they were already at the Beggars Banquet type sound in 1967, the many overdubs hiding this on the finished recordings. Whether these outtakes were good songs remains a mystery as there aren't any vocals on them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-10 00:57 by His Majesty.

Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: March 10, 2011 01:35

Gold Painted Nails is a cool outtake cool smiley

“There are things known and things unknown and in between are The Doors." James Douglas Morrison

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1716
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home