Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Anti Keith vibe
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 6, 2011 15:59

Rolling Hansie
tatters
If Mick feels he's been put on the defensive, that his side of the story needs to be told, he can write his own damn book if he wants to. Better yet, let him channel his anger (if he is angry) into making a kick-ass solo album and taking it on a great solo tour.

I can agree with that, especially the if's. Simply because I think that Mick really doesn't care.

Right. I don't think he cares either. In the words of the great Sir Bob, "If you're so hurt, why then don't you show it?"

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 6, 2011 16:04

he alrady did...2 songs on Primitive Cool...he's moved on...they redefined their relationship in 89...people shouldn't worry about either of those 2...

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: March 6, 2011 16:25

Each one of them separately isn't doing that great job as SOLO artist,
but together they rock the world.

People here loves to bash the members of the Rolling Stones every now and then.
Except for Charlie who seems to be evicting any criticism.

I just wish they'd get together soon for recording sessions and a tour (final one?)

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 6, 2011 16:29

Rip This
people shouldn't worry about either of those 2

Right on. But some people just have to worry. Maybe a hobby ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 6, 2011 16:32

Elmo Lewis
Forget the bashing and let's rock.

Yeah, that's why it's called "Rock 'n Roll" and not "Bash 'n Nag" tongue sticking out smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: AngieBlue ()
Date: March 6, 2011 19:22

Rolling Hansie
Elmo Lewis
Forget the bashing and let's rock.

Yeah, that's why it's called "Rock 'n Roll" and not "Bash 'n Nag" tongue sticking out smiley

Amen Hansie!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 6, 2011 21:19

PHD - Age killed the Stones not a book!!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 7, 2011 21:43

Stoneage
Bianca: This may sound stupid, but I think that it has always been safer for a man to favour Keith in this, perpetual, "Keith or Mick" discussion. A man "idolizing" Mick could look a bit silly or be mistaken for not having a normal sexuality. Maybe, all this have changed a bit now when Keith's reputation has fallen a bit?

its unimaginable to me that someone could be so confused in life as to think it more macho or manly to idolize one man over another man.to make this sad,pathetic logic even more twisted the so-called tough guy weighs probably 135lbs and has spent most of his life wearing scarves and eyeliner,lately eyeliner OFFSTAGE.
and by the way,that rainbow colored headscarf keith was wearing a couple of years ago wouldve made members of the san fransisco gay pride day parade look at him sideways.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 7, 2011 22:21

Of course you are right, lem motlow. The amateur psychologist in me was just trying to explain the fact that most male RS-fans tended to (at least before Keith's book) show partiality towards Keith rather than Mick.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: March 7, 2011 22:32

I would've thought that most male Stones fanatics would be more than comfortable with their own sexuality, whether straight, gay or (like myself) bisexual. They've never a strong heterosexual image like (say) Tom Jones or Bruce Springsteen.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 7, 2011 22:35

Stoneage
Of course you are right, lem motlow. The amateur psychologist in me was just trying to explain the fact that most male RS-fans tended to (at least before Keith's book) show partiality towards Keith rather than Mick.

To the average Joe (or Jane), gay or straight, Jagger IS the Stones.
The "Keef" worship comes from the more hardcore fan, and/or guitar player.

The "Jagger hate", however, comes from those 'Keef' worshippers who feel conflicted and confused by Mick's androgony and love of dance music since he it tickles them in places they're not ready to come out and admit yet.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: phd ()
Date: March 7, 2011 22:38

slew
PHD - Age killed the Stones not a book!!

Nope. I've seen Charlie in Paris in October. He was great and seems to be fit to tour. Mick has been doing a lot of promo and some good live performances. The issue seems to be Keith. Strange. And this book.

Date: March 7, 2011 22:48

The Stones
andy js
IF Keith had died or gone to jail in the 70's, just imagine how revered the Stones would be. They'd have left behind a pretty faultless catalogue instead of the bloated corpse it's become

I kind of blame Jagger for what it/they became. Massively succesful with more money than sense, yes. A sad replica of what they once were. Undoubtably

Either you've been smoking crack again or you might be referring to the fact that AC/DC died with Bon Scott.

It's a f disgrace they've kept the name AC/DC when they should call themselves Johnson, Young x 2, Williams and Rudd. Shit sandwich.

You being a Bon Scott fan doesn´t rock the fact that they were more successful than ever after Johnson joined the band.

Date: March 7, 2011 22:50

71Tele
Keith's image has gone through roughly these stages:

1962-1965 Awkward teenager
1966-1968 Pop rebel
1969-1972 The "essence" of Cool. The Keith character at its best
1973-1979 Wasted decadent junkie
1980-1990 Drunken rock icon
1990-2011 Wise, Beloved elder statesman

Admittedly subjective, but you get the picture

LOL! A big cheer for the last era grinning smiley

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 7, 2011 23:19

jamesfdouglas
Stoneage

To the average Joe (or Jane), gay or straight, Jagger IS the Stones.
The "Keef" worship comes from the more hardcore fan, and/or guitar player.

The "Jagger hate", however, comes from those 'Keef' worshippers who feel conflicted and confused by Mick's androgony and love of dance music since he it tickles them in places they're not ready to come out and admit yet.

ha ha ha,damn that was funny.true story,when i was about 15 a friend took me to see queen.now i dont know how many of you ever saw them but this band was F/CKING PHENOMENAL live.this was around the sheer heart attack album.so i started taking everyone i knew to see them,girfriends,my buddys.i didnt give a shit it was my thought that everyone should see queen live at least once.i wouldve taken my freakin parents if they wouldve gone.

the absolutly hilarious thing was to watch some of the guys,a few of them football player types go from a confused ,sort of whaaa? to the end of the show,pumping their fists in the air yelling...FREDDIE!!!..who by the encore couldve been wearing anything from leather mini-shorts to a fully sequined body suit.it was too good...guess i just didnt have real insecure friends.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 8, 2011 01:07

BIANCA, I am standing up applauding you!! I kind of like the explanation of why Keef fans find it hard to defend or embrace Mick...maybe there are a lot more closet queens around here than I thought that are not comfy admitting adoration of the Mickster!! LOL!

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: March 8, 2011 01:40

I've always seen Keith's coolness (besides of course his talent and musicianship) to be mainly image-wise (hair, clothes) and that's until 81' (after that I can't find much coolness in his persona). I couldn't care less about his lifestyle, the rotten teeth, the drugs, the "blade", etc.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 8, 2011 02:09

Perhaps Keith jumped the shark of coolness when he changed fingers for his skull ring - which was after the 1981-82 tours.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 8, 2011 02:20

I hope Keith starts writing graffiti, good for the fingers, could inspire some songwriting.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 8, 2011 03:00

cc
some anti-keith vibe is a necessary corrective to the pro-keith mythology that had grown since the '80s. There may currently be some overcorrection, but hopefully soon the right balance will be struck.

Yep.
Keith's assholiness (a term I learned from Skip, thanks Skip.) is old news.
It is to me at least. I suspected Keith was the bitch a long time ago. The Barbara Charone book (1979)encapsulated it for me very well.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: March 8, 2011 03:06

bianca
I never understood the appeal of even the mid-70's Keith.

Why do we think it is "cool" when someone acts irresponsibly and foolishly? Mick never is out of control. I find that to be cool.

Keith became a drug addict in the 70's and as a result, was unable to be a productive member of the band. Is that cool?

Perhaps it is the self promotion...the proposterous stories about fighting and carrying weapons and all the other nonsense. Maybe people buy it.

He wrote a book last year that was so devoid of details and interesting observations that it was tough to finish. He must have known that his insulting comments of Mick would forever tarnish the band's reputation (as many threads on this board have claimed). That is a shame.

The skull rings and the pirate person would look ridiculous on a 20 year old, nevermind a man near 70.

If there is an anti Keith vibe anywhere, the only surprise to me is that it has taken so long.

Just wait for the Depp lovefest to come out....

It will never end.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: March 8, 2011 10:05

>>The "Jagger hate", however, comes from those 'Keef' worshippers who feel conflicted and confused by Mick's androgony and love of dance music since he it tickles them in places they're not ready to come out and admit yet.

True dat. A male fan can idolise Keith and not fear accusations of being gay.

Keith has not been high on my hit parade for quite awhile. But I refuse to ignore evidence that shows he is not a complete jerk:

The fact that both his daughters say their parents are their favourite people. How many kids say that?

The fact that his sister-in-law wrote such a glowing interview about him.

The fact that he was close and supportive of both his parents til their deaths.

The fact that he has always supported Anita, never cut her out of his life, and she has never said a word against him

The wonderful warmth and humour that comes out in so many of his interviews.

His rescue of the cat Voodoo.

Date: March 8, 2011 14:37

Bliss
>>The "Jagger hate", however, comes from those 'Keef' worshippers who feel conflicted and confused by Mick's androgony and love of dance music since he it tickles them in places they're not ready to come out and admit yet.

True dat. A male fan can idolise Keith and not fear accusations of being gay.

"There's got to be that little special something. It's a bit of magic, it's a bit of men together, clenched fists, leather jackets, spiky boots. It's a bit of a sexual thing with some pretty girl in the front row, sometimes it's even a bit of gay sex, in the sense that sometimes, particularly in English speaking countries, I will joke about homosexuality. And sometimes there will be somebody out there who is homosexual. For me it's an important thing to be able to make a joke and not offend them. And I hope that I can do that, and I hope that they will allow me to do it!"

-Ian Anderson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-08 14:39 by tatters.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: March 8, 2011 15:29

jamesfdouglas

What? Glossing over the fact that it's been a long time since you could look at Mick and consider him to be androgynous I don't hink that liking Keith makes you hate Mick (or vice versa). I certainly don't think it would ever have occurred to me that liking Mick would somehow be gay.

Being a fan doesn't mean that I don't want to be like Keith or Mick, it doesn't make me gay or straight it just makes me a fan who loves the music, loves the band and yes, certainly when I was much younger, loved the image.

Date: March 8, 2011 17:07

What's all this talk about Keith not being cool anymore? Keith is just as cool as he ever was. It's just that as YOU grew older, YOUR ideas about what is and what is not cool, changed.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home