Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
The "best-sounding" Stones tracks ever
Date: November 25, 2013 14:59

In terms of recording, mixing and production, which tracks do you think sound the best?

My suggestions (in no particular order):

Honky Tonk Women
Hot Stuff
Jumping Jack Flash
I Got The Blues
Far Away Eyes
Beast Of Burden
Little T+A
She Was Hot
Rocks Off
2000 Light Years From Home

Re: The "best-sounding" Stones tracks ever
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 25, 2013 15:05

We Love You
2000 Man
Jigsaw Puzzle
Gimme Shelter
Let It Bleed
Monkey Man
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Dead Flowers
Rocks Off
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
... probably a few more

There's a definite window of 1967-1973 of a particular sound that has to do with the drums and acoustic guitars especially that has never been improved upon. The only other best-sounding Stones tracks outside of that would be from EMOTIONAL RESCUE and perhaps TATTOO YOU.

Date: November 25, 2013 15:14

<The only other best-sounding Stones tracks outside of that would be from EMOTIONAL RESCUE and perhaps TATTOO YOU.>

What about the songs on Black And Blue?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 25, 2013 15:21

I think it's tough to decide on what sounds "best", because "best" may denote "technically best" or "artistically best" (roughly speaking).

I absolutely love some of the really rough stuff on Beggars Banquet and Exile that has tons of depth and mystique (for lack of a better word). Songs like Parachute Woman and Sweet Black Angel are quite low-fi but very enjoyable, very beautiful, original and well made.

But if I look at it from an engineer's or producer's viewpoint, I think Rocks Off, Tumbling Dice and Loving Cup are fantastic. Lots of depth, lots of clarity (although many would disagree on that one) and still rough enough not to sound too slick. Brown Sugar is also very balanced and tight.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-25 15:25 by LieB.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 25, 2013 15:31

I Am Waiting
Out Of Time
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
She's A Rainbow
Gimme Shelter
Midnight Rambler
Sympathy For The Devil
Wild Horses
Can't You Hear Me Knocking?
Dead Flowers
Hot Stuff
Hand Of Fate

Generally for me I like an uncluttered sound. I hate walls of guitar overdubs that make the general sound too thin. For me sonic perfection is a mix of acoustic and electrics (no more than 2), drums, bass, keyboards and vocals. You got to let the music breathe.

I dream of the Stones remastering Goats Head Soup in HD so that you can hear all the instruments as I think that was one of their most ambitious albums in terms of going for a wide sound. Unfortunately that muddy mix did not do the album credit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-25 15:32 by Silver Dagger.

Date: November 25, 2013 15:46

Silver Dagger
Generally for me I like an uncluttered sound. I hate walls of guitar overdubs that make the general sound too thin. For me sonic perfection is a mix of acoustic and electrics (no more than 2), drums, bass, keyboards and vocals. You got to let the music breathe.

My impression is that the Stones have generally put tons of instruments on their songs. Of course there are sparse things as well (like Play With Fire or Lady Jane), but even a very simple sounding thing like No Expectations has two guitars, bass, organ, piano, and so on. Often they have two or more guitars, two keyboards, and brass on one song and it still doesn't sound too cluttered, which is pretty impressive. (Although admittedly, "cluttered" is a very subjective word). I've always been inspired the Stones whole catalog in my own music making, but it's difficult to make that many instruments work well without clashing too much.

Date: November 25, 2013 15:53

I'm with you all the way, Mike, about the overdubs.

However, there are a few exceptions, where Keith in particular really did a few genius touches with guitar overdubbing.

Down In The Hole, for instance, is perhaps the best evidence of guitar weaving ever. A few places in there a couple of subtle overdubs tied it all together beautifully - because obviously something was missing in there. Listening with headphones with this in mind - is pure joy, imo.

I should have put Gimmie Shelter and Monkey Man on my list, together with CYHMK.

Not "best-sounding", but "best authentic-sounding": You Gotta Move. Brilliant! thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 25, 2013 16:18

I'd go for the cuts off Sticky Fingers, Black and Blue, Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You (in particular), for 'sound quality'.

Date: November 25, 2013 16:20

Some of the Chess recordings from the 60s also sound remarkably good:

Confessing The Blues
It's All Over Now
Look What You've Done

And tracks like What A Shame and I Just Can't Be Satisfied also has that same recording cleanness that most of the 60s recordings didn't have, imo.

I Am Waiting was a good choice! thumbs up

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 25, 2013 16:21

DandelionPowderman

However, there are a few exceptions, where Keith in particular really did a few genius touches with guitar overdubbing.

Down In The Hole, for instance, is perhaps the best evidence of guitar weaving ever. A few places in there a couple of subtle overdubs tied it all together beautifully - because obviously something was missing in there. Listening with headphones with this in mind - is pure joy, imo.

I should have put Gimmie Shelter and Monkey Man on my list, together with CYHMK.

Not "best-sounding", but "best authentic-sounding": You Gotta Move. Brilliant! thumbs up

Really love Down In The Hole so obviously it's passed the SD too much clutter test. >grinning smiley<
On my views about too cluttered sounds, I love Led Zeppelin but there are points on Physical Graffiti were it's just overkill. You think, why do you need 6 guitars on this song guys?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 25, 2013 16:22

It's 'Tell Me ' from UK Mono Decca LP
and 'The Spider and The Fly' from US Mono Decca LP
and 'Parachute Woman' from UK Stereo Decca LP

hard ones to beat as best-sounding...

2 1 2 0

Date: November 25, 2013 16:24

Come On

With the crackles and all grinning smiley

The Spider And The Fly sounds great. PW is perfect lo-fi blues thumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 25, 2013 16:31

DandelionPowderman
Come On

With the crackles and all grinning smiley

The Spider And The Fly sounds great. PW is perfect lo-fi blues thumbs up

smiling smiley Yes they are really resilient. grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 25, 2013 16:32

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

Really love Down In The Hole so obviously it's passed the SD too much clutter test. >grinning smiley<
On my views about too cluttered sounds, I love Led Zeppelin but there are points on Physical Graffiti were it's just overkill. You think, why do you need 6 guitars on this song guys?

Maybe it was only one guitar, but a sextuple neck instead of a double neck?

Date: November 25, 2013 16:35

treaclefingers
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

Maybe it was only one guitar, but a sextuple neck instead of a double neck?

Played with a long bow...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 25, 2013 16:44

One of my favourite sounding tracks is Little Red Rooster.

Everything sounds ace and distinctive whilst blending well together. Assuming the details about it's recording are true it's surprising that it was recorded at Regent Sound. I thought for a long time that it had been recorded at Chess, the sound being similar to the actual Chess recordings you've mentioned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-25 16:46 by His Majesty.

Date: November 25, 2013 16:49

His Majesty
One of my favourite sounding tracks is Little Red Rooster.

Everything sounds ace and distinctive whilst blending well together. Assuming the details about it's recording are true it's surprising that it was recorded at Regent Sound. I thought for a long time that it had been recorded at Chess, the sound being similar to the actual Chess recordings you've mentioned.

It is on the "The Chess Sessions"-release.

It sounds fantastic indeed.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: November 25, 2013 16:55

Side 2 of Tattoo You

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 25, 2013 17:01

DandelionPowderman

Down In The Hole, for instance, is perhaps the best evidence of guitar weaving ever.

A good one, but I say Beast of Burden tops it in both the weaving and sound department.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 25, 2013 17:04

Love In Vain album version.

After Black N Blue, I think LIB is the next best mixed album.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-25 17:10 by ryanpow.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 25, 2013 17:14

I always loved the production and mixing in Dance Little Sister, and Hand OF Fate, and 2000 light years from home is pretty awesome too..And Beggars Banquet, Aftermath and Let It Bleed albums sound great to me...

(The worst is Undercover album )

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: November 25, 2013 17:15

If I should choose only one song in this category, it will be Honky Tonk Woman. The ultimate Stones sounding...Or maybe Tumbling Dice '76 live version.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 25, 2013 17:19

Anything that hasn't subsequently been "Digitally Disastered" !

Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: November 25, 2013 17:23

Under My Thumb has to be one of their best...the recording, mixing...just a great Job.

So many..too many to list.

Entire Let it Bleed album

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 25, 2013 17:55

anything from 'Undercover'?

I think 'All The Way Down', 'Pain Of Love' and 'Feel On Baby" sound great, real Stonesy with a bit of grunge.

Date: November 25, 2013 17:57

It would be easier to list the worst, I suppose.

Some of Between the Buttons and Satanic is a little chaotic to say the least.

Many early tracks are pretty rough, although it's not really fair to compare them to stuff from more technologically (and artistically) advanced times. Some of them could have benefitted from a better producer than Andrew.

It's Only Rock 'n' Roll is pretty flat sounding.

Goats Head Soup is muddy and washed out, but I love it.

Undercover is kinda flat and thin but it has its own identity.

Dirty Work, Steel Wheels and Flashpoint are way too 80s sounding. Keith's "acousitc" guitar on Paint It Black on Flashpoint is the worst Stones guitar sound ever recorded.

Voodoo Lounge and everything after is an improvement but suffers from lack of character and dirt, IMHO.

Posted by: JerkyLittleGIJoe ()
Date: November 25, 2013 18:46

Tumbling Dice. Great production only because they really worked on it painstakingly for weeks

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 25, 2013 18:55

I like albums that sound dirty, raw, huge and powerful and gutsy.. I always feel that real rock n roll should have loud and dirty electric guitars in your face, - So I guess Undercover is the worst thing they ever did, it's so lame... everything on Undercover sounds clean, tiny and thin..like Mickey Mouse singin in a dentist office or something.

If I had to choose one song it would be Dance Little Sister from Only Rock N Roll album.

There you go: Stones dont sound better than this:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-25 18:57 by seitan.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: November 25, 2013 19:04

This confirms what I've always thought, dispite recording advancements and technology in the last 40 years they still can't make a song sound better than they could in the early 70's.

Date: November 25, 2013 19:05

seitan
I like albums that sound dirty, raw, huge and powerful and gutsy.. I always feel that real rock n roll should have loud and dirty electric guitars in your face, - So I guess Undercover is the worst thing they ever did, it's so lame... everything on Undercover sounds clean, tiny and thin..like Mickey Mouse singin in a dentist office or something.

If I had to choose one song it would be Dance Little Sister from Only Rock N Roll album.

There you go: Stones dont sound better than this:

The mix on DLS is dry and hilariously bad, imo - still I wouldn't change it for the world smiling smiley

What's wrong with the mix/sound on Tie You Up and Pretty Beat Up?

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1533
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home