Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Article: Stones Songs From The 90's That Don't Suck
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 2, 2011 21:06

More Hot Rocks
JumpingKentFlash
More Hot Rocks
I hate Steel Wheels being asssociated with the 80's. Wish it came out in 1990.

Like that would help. Knowing how Stones fans behave these days, you'd just end up getting the "In 1990 everything still sounded like the 80s" comment.

You have a point...sad isn't it

Very.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 2, 2011 22:55

jamesfdouglas
Tate
I'm in the minority, I think, but my fave of the nineties is Baby Break It Down. I love the slow groove, the guitar riff, the vocal harmonies.

It's definitely one of my favourites. Jagger laying down decent vocals and harmonies over some great stuff that sounds and feels like a really good Winos track. Nice to see someone else loves it!

Yes, this is a good track.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 2, 2011 23:41

71Tele
Gazza
lettingitbleed
[popdose.com]

Comments? Thoughts?

The vast majority of them dont 'suck' in any shape or form.

In fact, apart from 'Suck On the Jugular', 'Anyway you look at it' and (I know this aint a popular choice, but I've never cared for it) 'Mean disposition', I find the rest of their 90s output listenable at worst, mostly pretty good and occasionally magnificent.

There just wasnt enough of it.

Hmm...what do you think is magnificent?

A sizeable portion of Bridges To Babylon. 'Love is strong' and 'Thru and Thru' from Voodoo Lounge. 'High Wire' too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-02 23:43 by Gazza.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 3, 2011 03:48

Gazza
71Tele
Gazza
lettingitbleed
[popdose.com]

Comments? Thoughts?

In fact, apart from 'Suck On the Jugular', 'Anyway you look at it' and (I know this aint a popular choice, but I've never cared for it) 'Mean disposition', I find the rest of their 90s output listenable at worst, mostly pretty good and occasionally magnificent.

A sizeable portion of Bridges To Babylon. 'Love is strong' and 'Thru and Thru' from Voodoo Lounge. 'High Wire' too.

I find Bridges dated and unlistenable, but ok. "Thru and Thru" is very good. I would have a hard time applying the adjective "magnificent" to anything after Tattoo You. That's when the magnificence ended for me. But if you really think anything from Bridges is up there with Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Tumbling Dice or Gimme Shelter (all of which I would put in the "magnificent" category maybe I will give it another listen.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 3, 2011 03:51

Frankly most of their songs from the nineties don't suck in fact they are quite good.

Date: March 3, 2011 05:45

71Tele
Gazza
71Tele
Gazza
lettingitbleed
[popdose.com]

Comments? Thoughts?

I find Bridges dated and unlistenable, but ok. "Thru and Thru" is very good. I would have a hard time applying the adjective "magnificent" to anything after Tattoo You. That's when the magnificence ended for me. But if you really think anything from Bridges is up there with Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Tumbling Dice or Gimme Shelter (all of which I would put in the "magnificent" category maybe I will give it another listen.

Who says the term 'magnificent' has to be so limited?

And why cant they just be judged on their own terms (or, if you like, against what else was around at the time) instead of exclusively against what theyve done previously?

By that yardstick, they may as well have split after 1972 as they should have known nothing was going to live up to those lofty standards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-03 05:47 by Gazza.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: March 3, 2011 06:00

Tate
I'm in the minority, I think, but my fave of the nineties is Baby Break It Down. I love the slow groove, the guitar riff, the vocal harmonies.

Me too. First time I heard that song was through my walkman on a beach on the Island of Paros in the Agean in that wonderful year of 1994 . . .

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: March 3, 2011 07:48

treaclefingers
jp.M
...I don't see songs which "suck" in the 90's or other decades...only some are better than others..!!!!

Back to Zero, Hold Back (Don't Hold Back?...I get mixed up), Winning Ugly???

And that's just from one album.

It's ok to have a favourite band that has songs that suck.

I think that 1986 might be considered the 80's instead of the 90's. Nothing they did in the 90's sucked. Some of my favorite music. Voodoo and BTB. I was in high school for Voodoo and college for BTB and I turned on many new fans to my all time favorite band with these two albums alone. No greatest hits packages or classic albums. Just their latest work. It's a shame people are so closed-minded. They miss some really good shit cause they think it ain't as good as something from 1969.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 3, 2011 09:22

'Thru and Thru' is the on that don't suck from them two studioalbums...

2 1 2 0

Date: March 3, 2011 10:24

Gazza
71Tele
Gazza
71Tele
Gazza
lettingitbleed
[popdose.com]

Comments? Thoughts?

And why cant they just be judged on their own terms (or, if you like, against what else was around at the time) instead of exclusively against what theyve done previously?

By that yardstick, they may as well have split after 1972 as they should have known nothing was going to live up to those lofty standards.

Well, because words have meanings, and "magnificent" is a pretty high compliment. We are talking about the Stones here, of course, so it's relative to their previous work. "Magnificent" to me would mean equal to the Big Four era, which nothing in the 90s is, so I would use a lesser adjective. I reserve "magnificent" for the best of the best. Nothing in the 90s or later falls into that category.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: March 3, 2011 10:56

Gazza
lettingitbleed
[popdose.com]

Comments? Thoughts?

I agree with this. But I would probably add a couple more from Voodoo Lounge that I really don't care for.

Date: March 3, 2011 12:02

The 90's..not like there is lousy material. Like others have said: the main rpblem with Stones since 89 has been the shortage of material.

STEEL WHEELS - used to be one of my least favorite albums. But the rough mixes reminded me this is a Stonesalbum, and the songs are actually strong. They just mixed and mastered them to clinical sterility.

VOODOO LOUNGE - a bit too long. And Don Was obviously was trying to create an epic Stonesalbum. A great album doesn't set out to become a classic; it just sets out to be the best it can be. Was tried to bite it all off. About half of the songs are good: Love is Strong, Out of Tears, Thru and Thru, Bay Break it Down, The Worst, are almost great

BRIDGES TO BABYLON - now IMO this is a great Stonesalbum; up there with the best. A killer opening track "Flip the Switch"; a great single with it's own sound, strong hook in ASMB, "Lowdown" a Keith open G rocker, "Already Over Me" good ballad, "YDHTMI" might be Keith's best original reggae song. "Control" and "Saint" should be in the warhorse canon of the Stones. "Juiced" worked perfectly. The two closing Keith numbers are some of his finest work. The closing Sax solo with Charlie is opne of the best Stones passages recorded.

STRIPPED - not a live album. But I always though their version of "Like a Rolling Stone" was beautiful and appropriate, a classic. The re-cut versions of early material, and older covers work well.

BIGGER BANG - here I got a problem. This is an album that was released too early IMO. it's just not "finished". The song and sequencing needed more work; they all sound like rough demos. They don't have the clever bits, that make them individual or special. they needed to be tossed around in a studio with the band for a couple months. So, non suckage? "Radar" and " Laugh I nearly died",Rough Justice". But not sucking doesn't really spell "good", does it?

Date: March 3, 2011 12:58

71Tele
Gazza
71Tele
Gazza
71Tele
Gazza
lettingitbleed
[popdose.com]

Comments? Thoughts?

Well, because words have meanings, and "magnificent" is a pretty high compliment. We are talking about the Stones here, of course, so it's relative to their previous work. "Magnificent" to me would mean equal to the Big Four era, which nothing in the 90s is, so I would use a lesser adjective. I reserve "magnificent" for the best of the best. Nothing in the 90s or later falls into that category.

I regard How Can I Stop as a song that holds its ground together with songs like Wild Horses, Moonlight Mile (Two of my definite favourites) and I Got The Blues. It gives me the same chills.

How Can I Stop is simply amazing, and it shows that people forget quickly - when they say that nothing after 1981 are magnificent or brilliant, imo.

It's the Stones we are talking about here - there will always be a pearl in there somewhere - like She Was Hot, a rocker that imo is among the best they've ever done. Love Is Strong should have been a classic. Continental Drift is a very, very nice piece of challenging music. The Worst is brilliant and soulful. Anybody Seen My Baby was a very good single - well written, well produced, well-played. So was Saint Of Me.

I also like Back Of My Hand. Not for its authenticity - that's very hard to "reproduce" this late in their career - but rather for the effort and the feel they manage to get across to me. It certainly wouldn't have clouded the quality on any of the big four albums either, imo.

I'm a sucker for Keith ballads, though. So This Place Is Empty gets a nod here as well smiling smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 3, 2011 13:24

I think the list is accurate. Love is strong was very good, maybe the best. Saint of me sounds very dated and slick but it's a good pop song. Out of tears is the best ballad and sadly a gladly repeated formula of Micks. I like Thief in the night but it's probably not a great song. Very good filler though. There's not much to choose from.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: March 3, 2011 13:29

Highwire is a good song. Voodoo lounge to me it's maybe one of their best, Love is strong is so powerful, and Sweethearts togheter is a masterpiece. The only songs I didn't like on the album are Brand new car and suck on the jugular. The rest, is the best!
BTB is something to forget about. I just can't find good songs, good sound, good playing. Maybe Saint of me, but not much.
ABB is much more good. There are filler, of course, but This place is empty, Let me down slow, Rough justice, and specially The back of my hand, what an impressing playing! The boys as bluesy as can be... as in the early days. I think the sound of the album is good also, sounds so "rough", not like BTB.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 3, 2011 13:36

StonesTod
how do stones fans behave these days?

I beleive that a good handful (not everyone) put them down. The Stones could put out a masterpeice and alot of people on this board would say it's terrible. I think people are just miserable sometimes.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 3, 2011 15:32

More Hot Rocks
StonesTod

I beleive that a good handful (not everyone) put them down. The Stones could put out a masterpeice and alot of people on this board would say it's terrible. I think people are just miserable sometimes.

let's not confuse opinion with behavior. let's not confuse reasonable disagreement over the merits of their music with opinions of the band. and let's not confuse a dislike for a given piece of music with the state of a poster's disposition in general.

i find it fascinating that certain posters take it as a personal affront when a critical remark is made of the band and its music.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: March 3, 2011 15:45

The modern day Stones records don't deserve the criticism that they sometimes recieve...It's odd because upon arrival they are usually hailed as the best Stones record since "Exile on Mainstreet" only to be torn apart a year later by the same publication that praised them upon release.

I think much of the Stones output (both as a band and solo) from Steel Wheels on has actually been quite good and sometimes great. Sure, there is the occasional clunker/filler (Sweet Neo Con/Driving Too Fast etc.) but for the most part on the rare occasions (4 studio albums in 21 years) the Stones work together they usually put out quality music.

If some unknown band released "Plundered My Soul" "Saint of Me" or "Love is Strong" they would be hailed as the next big thing.

In my opinion one of the biggest issue the Stones face is that they are the Rolling Stones and people want to compare every release to "Let it Bleed" and "Sticky Fingers" If the audience could accept that it's not 1972 anymore the Stones modern day music would be given more repect.

I am 100% convinced that with the right producer the Stones have at least one more classic album left in them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-03 15:47 by James Kirk.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 3, 2011 16:35

The recording of Honest I Do is at least from the 1990s. But how could they have picked Dead Flowers from Stripped and not Gimme Shelter from No Security or Flick The Switch from Bridges?

Date: March 3, 2011 16:35

StonesTod
More Hot Rocks
StonesTod

let's not confuse opinion with behavior. let's not confuse reasonable disagreement over the merits of their music with opinions of the band. and let's not confuse a dislike for a given piece of music with the state of a poster's disposition in general.

i find it fascinating that certain posters take it as a personal affront when a critical remark is made of the band and its music.

Becasue people are passionate about The Stones. You should defend something you love. People love the band becasue it's part of them. Yes disposition is a big part of it. I agree with you but on some things but is it any different than going to a parade for your home team that just won a championship. No. People love The Stones. Charlie has even said it a few times.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-03 16:56 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: March 3, 2011 17:12

More Hot Rocks
StonesTod
More Hot Rocks
StonesTod

Becasue people are passionate about The Stones. You should defend something you love. People love the band becasue it's part of them. Yes disposition is a big part of it. I agree with you but on some things but is it any different than going to a parade for your home team that just won a championship. No. People love The Stones. Charlie has even said it a few times.

i'm as passionate about the stones as anyone here; but i'm not gonna defend something that's not defensible. this is not my father or brother we're talking about it - it's a rock'n'roll band. love 'em, sure? beyond criticism? no way.

and i still don't get the 'you must be miserable' to be able to critique the stones. how does that work again? something's wrong in my life so i think i'll take it out on the stones? haha...ok.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: March 3, 2011 18:17

Because they 'breathe' a little more as live tunes, I think the argument can be made for 3 B2B songs which are on No Security: Thief, Saint and OOC. The studio versions of HCIStop, ASMBaby and MAWGJuiced hold up fine. Add one more real rocker to B2B and re-do the cloying over-singing/enunciation of AOM, and there's the post-1981 classic everyone was waiting for. I also enjoy VL's LIS, Thru and Thru. I think the article missed a lot of good ones, and didn't need to bring up older rehashes from Stripped to make his point.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 3, 2011 18:22

nonfilter
treaclefingers
jp.M
...I don't see songs which "suck" in the 90's or other decades...only some are better than others..!!!!

Back to Zero, Hold Back (Don't Hold Back?...I get mixed up), Winning Ugly???

And that's just from one album.

It's ok to have a favourite band that has songs that suck.

I think that 1986 might be considered the 80's instead of the 90's.

Date: March 3, 2011 19:00

71Tele
Gazza
71Tele
Gazza
71Tele
Gazza
lettingitbleed
[popdose.com]

Comments? Thoughts?

No. It's 'magnificent' based on one thing and one thing only. The amount of pleasure I happen to get from listening to it. The era it was recorded or released is of no significance.

You're pigeonholing the expression into belonging exclusively to standards set in one one four-year era. They produced several songs from that era which fell short of that category, and a large number of songs from either side of it which most definitely belong in it.

Date: March 3, 2011 19:10

StonesTod
More Hot Rocks
StonesTod
More Hot Rocks
StonesTod

i'm as passionate about the stones as anyone here; but i'm not gonna defend something that's not defensible. this is not my father or brother we're talking about it - it's a rock'n'roll band. love 'em, sure? beyond criticism? no way.

and i still don't get the 'you must be miserable' to be able to critique the stones. how does that work again? something's wrong in my life so i think i'll take it out on the stones? haha...ok.

StonesTod. I know what you're saying. People could win the lottery and still bitch that it wasn't enough.

Date: March 3, 2011 19:11

More Hot Rocks
StonesTod
More Hot Rocks
StonesTod
More Hot Rocks
StonesTod

StonesTod. I know what you're saying. People could win the lottery and still bitch that it wasn't enough.

well? IT WASN'T!!!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 3, 2011 19:39

Date: March 3, 2011 19:49

StonesTod
More Hot Rocks
StonesTod
More Hot Rocks
StonesTod
More Hot Rocks
StonesTod

well? IT WASN'T!!!

your miserable today aren't you?

Date: March 3, 2011 19:53

i'm always miserable - but i'm just doing my job as a miser. part of the job, naturally, is to endlessly criticize my favorite band, in the hopes that others will share in my misery, which loves company, of course.

Date: March 3, 2011 19:59

Gazza
71Tele
Gazza
71Tele
Gazza
71Tele
Gazza
lettingitbleed
[popdose.com]

Comments? Thoughts?

No. It's 'magnificent' based on one thing and one thing only. The amount of pleasure I happen to get from listening to it. The era it was recorded or released is of no significance.

You're pigeonholing the expression into belonging exclusively to standards set in one one four-year era. They produced several songs from that era which fell short of that category, and a large number of songs from either side of it which most definitely belong in it.

I can see how you would say that, and I certainly agree there were songs earlier and later that were "magnificent". I just think if "magnificent" is the highest superlative, it does not apply to anything in the 90s, on a comparative basis of their own best work. I am not saying everything from the Big 4 period was magnificent. So for me, if you say "Love Is Strong" is "magnificent" I would have to come up with a higher superlative for stuff at the level of Brown Sugar and Honky Tonk Women. I don't know, maybe "spectacular"? By your criteria, I don't get the same pleasure from listening to Bridges To Babylon as I do from listening to Exile. But admittedly that's subjective of course.

I went back to Bridges after reading your post. It sounds to me like two solo albums fighting it out. One of the least cohesive Rolling Stones albums, in my view. That doesn't mean I don't think there are some good tracks on it, I do. But the trendiness of some of the especially Jagger material and the sense that these two people were not even in the same building when most of it was recorded makes it a difficult listen for me.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2071
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home