Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: My Top-3 Jimmy Page Session Man Moments
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 8, 2009 12:14

The three videos below represent, imo, the best of Jimmy Page as a session musician. All three were recorded in 1964.

What does everyone else think?

Dave Berry – my baby left me

First Gear – leave my kitten alone

The Blue Rhonodos – baby I go for you

Re: OT: My Top-3 Jimmy Page Session Man Moments
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 8, 2009 18:32

Another Jimmy Page session...

drinking smiley

Date: March 8, 2009 18:49

Thats disputable. Although Jimmy Page was probably involved on some Tom Jones sessions, he isn't playing the lead on this track - its supposedly Big Jim Sullivan. He may have contributed some strumming work, though.

Date: March 8, 2009 19:05

Bald Headed Woman - The Who.

This probably Pages only contribution to a Who record. According to Townsend, he only features because he refused to lend the band his fuzz-box. Jimmy Pages guitar can be clearly heard in the fade-out.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 8, 2009 20:30

Problem is, he's rarely playing on his own, there is usually another guitarist, Big Jim etc, so what you think is him may not actually be so. Sometimes it's obvious, but...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-08 20:33 by His Majesty.

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: March 8, 2009 21:35

how about Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man"?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 9, 2009 06:12

That first one is a monster solo, just great.
The second one sounds more like Beck with the Yardbirds
(I'm not saying it is, it just sound a bit like him).
Is there a good compilation of Page's studio stuff?
I'm sure there's a few, but is there one better than the other?

Date: March 9, 2009 07:43

thkbeercan

He didn't play on that.

Donovan likes to say that he invented led zeppelin, that page, bonham and jones played on that track, facts are that only JPJ's played bass and arranged the track.

Clem Cattini played drums, Donovan acoustic guitar and tamboura, the electric guitar(s) are by session man Alan Parker, future member of the studio band Blue Mink.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 9, 2009 11:53

He also played on some Johnny Halliday's records (boo boo!)

Date: March 9, 2009 12:33

His Majesty
Problem is, he's rarely playing on his own, there is usually another guitarist, Big Jim etc, so what you think is him may not actually be so. Sometimes it's obvious, but...

Absolutely - though Big Jim Sullivan has confirmed that it is Page who performs the lead guitar on Dave Berry's My Baby Left Me: it was the very first session in which both guitarists worked together.

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: March 9, 2009 17:30

How about "Baby Please Don't Go" by Them. The signature riff and guitar on that track is superb

Andy

Date: March 9, 2009 23:07

nashville
How about "Baby Please Don't Go" by Them. The signature riff and guitar on that track is superb

Andy

The guitarist from Them, Billy Harrison, has said he played the guitar on that, I think he also said Page was present, but did not play on that track.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 10, 2009 00:58

His Majesty
thkbeercan

He didn't play on that.

Donovan likes to say that he invented led zeppelin, that page, bonham and jones played on that track, facts are that only JPJ's played bass and arranged the track.

Clem Cattini played drums, Donovan acoustic guitar and tamboura, the electric guitar(s) are by session man Alan Parker, future member of the studio band Blue Mink.

isn't Alan Parker also the guy who actually plays the "Rebel Rebel" riff, credited to Bowie? What a track.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 10, 2009 01:30

Jimmy Page (&JP Jones) did some of his best session work with the underrated Donovan, whose sometimes "childlike" lyrix detract from his talent as a proto-"world" explorer (Caribbean, Indian, eastern, etc) and melodist. Hey, I;ll take him over Elton anyday!. Check 'Epistle To Dippy" which sounds like Page droning furiously away (an oxymoron?) if not my other choice, the may-may-not-be-Page (sounds rather like him, but I Know nada about Parker) Hurdy Gurdy (Page, JPJ yes, Bonham no) among many interesting items in his 1965 - 75 catalog. Also let's not forget Stones connections! Don'van collaborated with the original Led Zep, meaning Jeff Beck Group (Ron Wood, M Waller, Hopkins, Jeff natch, not Rod) on that band's final studio session (May 1969), for the ferocious, 'molten' "Barabajagal" (wow!), the more pedestrian "Trudi", and "Stromberg Twins" all on the 2004 remaster of "Barabajagal" cd; plus "Homesickness" used on 1971's "HMS Donovan". Still more Stones-relevant. AO Oldham produced the man's 1974 lp "Essence To Essence" w/ Chris Spedding among others. And of course Don married Brian Jones' ex-lover and raised Brian's one Jones' son Julian!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-10 01:56 by john r.

Date: March 10, 2009 12:44

His Majesty
nashville

Andy

The guitarist from Them, Billy Harrison, has said he played the guitar on that, I think he also said Page was present, but did not play on that track.

I have always doubted that Jimmy Page performed the solo on Baby Please Don't Go. Imo, it doesn't sound like him at all. I do, however, think he contributes the lead to Here Comes The Night. The tone and style is very reminiscent to the mid-60's era Page-sound

Date: March 10, 2009 19:43

Talkin' 'Bout You - The Red Caps

A Certain Girl - The First Gear

Date: March 10, 2009 20:59

My favourite Page session thing is his excellent fuzz guitar on Brian's A Degree of Mudrer soundtrack during the murder secene.

Date: March 10, 2009 21:04

His Majesty
My favourite Page session thing is his excellent fuzz guitar on Brian's A Degree of Mudrer soundtrack during the murder secene.

Do you have a link to this? smiling smiley

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: March 10, 2009 22:30

Pag-ies lead on Heart of Stone from my NOW! Acetate...a fragment of this version is heard in the film "Charlie is my Darling". And now also on my one sided 7" acetate...san pedal steel...

JR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-25 23:50 by stone-relics.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 11, 2009 04:55

Thanks for reminding me of Brian's score for A Degree of Murder...never knew why given the big names playing on there the soundtrack wasnt issued on elpee or cd (I mean "Todays Pop Symphony directed by Keith Richards" gets regular reissue) btw the new Dick & Dee cd, called 'singles' or something has both sides of their Stones backed single from '65...see Nico's news site

Date: March 11, 2009 08:05

john r
Thanks for reminding me of Brian's score for A Degree of Murder...never knew why given the big names playing on there the soundtrack wasnt issued on elpee or cd (I mean "Todays Pop Symphony directed by Keith Richards" gets regular reissue) btw the new Dick & Dee cd, called 'singles' or something has both sides of their Stones backed single from '65...see Nico's news site

Perhaps the traumatic events that followed it's completion had something to do with such a thing never even being considered. I haven't seen/read anything from back then about the possibility of an LP release.

It seems such an obvious thing to do, cash in on a famous person doing a soundtrack by releasing it on record like George Harrison did with Wonderwall, what a pity that didn't happen with Brian's soundtrack!

I think the where abouts of the master tape is unknown, bootlegs of the soundtrack just feature the sound from the film unfortunately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-11 08:13 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 11, 2009 08:25

>How about "Baby Please Don't Go" by Them.

That was the first one I thought of. How about this monster?

Date: March 14, 2009 14:13

Jimmy Page was a member of Neil Christian and The Crusaders prior to becoming a session musician, and although he didn't record with them whilist a member, he did return to help them out on the odd recording.

Neil Christian - Honey Hush

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-14 14:13 by Big Al.

Date: March 25, 2009 23:45

A definite Page performance here:

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: March 26, 2009 02:00

Believe it or not, I just walked past Jimmy Page today in High Street Kensington (London). He went into Argos!

Date: April 2, 2009 00:11

This track features Jimmy Page on slide guitar and was recorded as part of a collection of songs for the French market in 1965.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: April 2, 2009 03:42

Thats FREAKIN' GREAT!

Thanks....never heard it before...

JR

Date: February 13, 2010 16:10

Another track featuring Jimmy Page on fine lead-guitar duty.

Date: February 13, 2010 16:33

His lead guitars on Joe Cocker's first (?) album with "Just Like A Woman", "Bye Bye Blackbird", "I Shall Be Released", such a superb album anyway.

Date: February 13, 2010 16:36

This is reportedly one of Jimmy’s favourite session appearances

Once In A While – The Brooks

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1251
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home