Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Downloading ?
Posted by: NWSooner ()
Date: February 22, 2011 04:30

Ok, long time IORR member and lurker, read almost everyday but seldom Post. Been a Stones fan since 1960 when I was 8. I have never heard a bootleg, will someone please educate me on downloading some of these or point me to a legit site to purchase say the top 5 or 10 boots? Detailed instructions would be awesome if available.....

Thanks in advance....JH

Re: Downloading ?
Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: February 22, 2011 04:37

Head on over to the Hot Stuff forum!

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: February 22, 2011 11:11

i hope you find some bootlegs from 1960 - 1962. >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-22 11:11 by guitarbastard.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: February 22, 2011 11:23

NWSooner
Been a Stones fan since 1960

Quite impressive considering the fact that The Rolling Stones were formed in 1962smiling smiley

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 22, 2011 11:45

Maybe he's got some of those pre-Stones recordings of Keef working out Malagena in his bedroom. eye popping smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 22, 2011 11:47

22 post on 5 years...A Beatles-Fan!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 22, 2011 12:08

in case a link to the "hot stuff" section would be helpful: [www.iorr.org]
have fun!

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: February 22, 2011 13:33

He might mean 1960's...Give the guy a break.

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: February 22, 2011 13:48

NWSooner
.. a legit site to purchase say the top 5 or 10 boots?

I doubt that you can legitimately buy bootlegs. A strange situation, but it's material that by definition has not been officially released for distribution by the artists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-22 16:35 by lsbz.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: February 22, 2011 13:49

How can a Stones fan of such a long period NEVER have listened to a bootleg ?

I mean, are you an all-time casual fan, a collector of official releases, please tell us more about you.

I am a more recent Stones fan, but I had bootleg live recordings long before having all the official releases (not even counting the compilations).

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 22, 2011 16:29

Pretty sure he/she meant the 60's.

Head over to Hot Stuff. LOTS of stuff there. Download it then either burn a CD or load it into a player of your choice.

Among many, ya gotta have "Stripped Companion" and "Brussels Affair".

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 22, 2011 16:36

People don't understand the word fan.

I've met people who have told me they're big fans, they own six Stones LPs. Last tour on the radio a 'huge fan' said he'd never seen them live.

I have every Bob Dylan album and have seen him 7 times. I consider myself some one who loves his music but not a fan.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 22, 2011 17:02

Me too! But I'm a Fan...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: February 22, 2011 17:33

Yeah you are right, the GR

Being a fan is something really subjective
Some people are lucky enough to have time and money to go see the Stones regularily and all around the globe, some people truly love the few songs of the band they know.

I can understand that someone with low income living in a remote city has had to wait until some recent dates to see a band (eg people from some european countries like Montenegro, Romania, Poland, or some US cities recently visited like Wichita or Boise)

Date: February 22, 2011 22:00

"Quite impressive considering the fact that The Rolling Stones were formed in 1962"

Typo for sure, especially since I wasn't born until 1961- Should have read a fan since 1969 . . . . . .

"I doubt that you can legitimately buy bootlegs. A strange situation, but it's material that by definition has not been officially released for distribution by the artists."

I meant point me to a seller who is reputable, if a reseller of bootlegs can be considered reputable, is that what your getting at?

"How can a Stones fan of such a long period NEVER have listened to a bootleg ?

I mean, are you an all-time casual fan, a collector of official releases, please tell us more about you."

I've been married to the same woman almost 26 years, we have 6 healthy children, I'm a commercial Insurance broker. I own a pro-street 55 Chevy that makes 550 HP unless I give it the juice, then she'll hit 700 HP. My wife has nicknamed my Chevy "The Mistress"! I also play golf and love the St Louis basbeall Cardinals. I also love to BBQ and that doesn't mean lighting a GAS grill and throwing on a helpless piece of frzen meat, rather real american bbq means slow smoking a brisket or pork shoulder for 10 to 14 hours over real charcoal and hickory. Lastly, I'm a Christian man that loves good strong beer, scotch whiskey, bourbon and cigars.

I've seen the boys live only 7 times, the 5 cds in my player in the garage right now, are Exile, Sticky Fingers, Let it Bleed, Some Girls and Black and Blue.

Finally, Elmo thanks for the most helpful post in the thread, I very much appreciate it.

Peace to you all. . .

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: February 22, 2011 22:31

NWSooner
"I doubt that you can legitimately buy bootlegs. A strange situation, but it's material that by definition has not been officially released for distribution by the artists."

I meant point me to a seller who is reputable, if a reseller of bootlegs can be considered reputable, is that what your getting at?

No; just that selling bootlegs will probably not be legal anywhere. The strange thing of the situation is that some buyers would probably be willing to pay the artists legal money if they could, but that the bootleg products they're interested in are not officially released by them.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 22, 2011 22:36

Download baby!
Bootlegs, in my opinion, should not be sold from one person to another.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 22, 2011 23:15

so are they going to sign Pujols?

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: February 22, 2011 23:26

As others have mentioned pop over to the hot stuff section of this forum,and download the show you would like. It will ordinarily download as a rar file and you will need a program to extract the tracks.

I would suggest a no frills program like Extract Now [www.extractnow.com]

Download that and drag and drop the already downloaded rar file into the program,press 'Extract Now' and there's the show.

On top of the shows already mentioned,i would also recommend You Cant Do That Baby,the Ladies and Gentlemen soundtrack in great quality and Berlin 1970,decent quality and a great show

Date: February 23, 2011 16:07

"so are they going to sign Pujols?"

I sure hope so, I know for sure they regret not getting it done last year now. If he were to sign with the cubs, I'll be on a suicide watch so will you please remember to check on me?

"As others have mentioned pop over to the hot stuff section of this forum,and download the show you would like. It will ordinarily download as a rar file and you will need a program to extract the tracks.

I would suggest a no frills program like Extract Now [www.extractnow.com]

Download that and drag and drop the already downloaded rar file into the program,press 'Extract Now' and there's the show."

On top of the shows already mentioned,i would also recommend You Cant Do That Baby,the Ladies and Gentlemen soundtrack in great quality and Berlin 1970,decent quality and a great show"

That's awesome and it's the kind of detailed information I need, thank you so much..also for the show reccomendations too!!!!

Carry on my friends.....I'll be back if I get stuck....NWSooner

Posted by: marko ()
Date: February 23, 2011 16:47

IF i were you,i would first get only the classic bootlegs,which are soundboard recordings,well most of them.
By collecting soundboard recordings only,you´ll easily get 100 bootlegs.
Just ask any question on hot stuff section,someone will allways answer.

Posted by: neylon79 ()
Date: February 23, 2011 17:38

I think a great place to start is with the incredible posts of members UrbanSteel and Keessie. I had bought some bootlegs years ago, but about 2 years ago decided to really build my collection, downloading great shows from every tour pretty much. These two members have so much out there, it's a great place to start. As for how the process works, you click their link to megaupload, enter the security code, and after 30 seconds or so, the link shows up. I don't know if you are familiar with mp3 and flac and what to do once the files are downloaded?

Most downloads come in a zip file or a .rar file. You need to decompress them first, I use 7zip, it's free and simple. Google search it, install and it will allow you to extract with a right click on the file.
One you have the files, you can burn on to cd or load on to your mp3 player if that's what you're using. If you plan on using cds, download flac files, as they are perfect cd quality. I use a program called free:ac it is free. You can convert the files from flac to wav and burn them with your standard windows cd burner.

As for information on what shows to start with and so forth- I would start with brussels 73 and Handsome girls from 1978. Both are available from urbansteel.
He does a good job of explaining the different types of recordings also in his collected uploads posts. Here is his collection of mp3s- iorr.org and his flac collection- iorr.org
As far as I know, he puts everything up in both formats, he updates it when he uploads a new show and so forth. There are many other members here who have uploaded incredible stuff, but I started with UrbanSteel because it was so extensive and organized on one page. Keessie has many uploads also, tons of great stuff, just search his name with the search function.

If you have any questions about converting, formats, etc. just post here.
Enjoy!

Date: February 24, 2011 17:42

Marko, & Neylon, excellent info, thanks so much....I'm so pumped to get started this weekend....I think the consensus is Belgium 73 for my first ever Bootleg listen.....Note to self: Get good Cigar and Whiskey to enjoy while experiencing this great event!

Rock on friends. . . .

Posted by: marko ()
Date: February 24, 2011 17:57

I´m going to upload all the available shows since 1969,some of them are remastered,some are not.Also,i´m uplaoding ALL the versions i have.So people can download whatever they need,or all of them.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 24, 2011 18:24

You could also try Little Boy Blue And The Blue Boys - now that one DOES have stuff from 1961. Here's the cover.

Date: February 24, 2011 18:26

NMSooner wrote:

I've been married to the same woman almost 26 years, we have 6 healthy children, I'm a commercial Insurance broker. I own a pro-street 55 Chevy that makes 550 HP unless I give it the juice, then she'll hit 700 HP. My wife has nicknamed my Chevy "The Mistress"! I also play golf and love the St Louis basbeall Cardinals. I also love to BBQ and that doesn't mean lighting a GAS grill and throwing on a helpless piece of frzen meat, rather real american bbq means slow smoking a brisket or pork shoulder for 10 to 14 hours over real charcoal and hickory. Lastly, I'm a Christian man that loves good strong beer, scotch whiskey, bourbon and cigars.

I've seen the boys live only 7 times, the 5 cds in my player in the garage right now, are Exile, Sticky Fingers, Let it Bleed, Some Girls and Black and Blue.

Finally, Elmo thanks for the most helpful post in the thread, I very much appreciate it.

Peace to you all. . .

You sound like someone I'd like to hang out with - except a local kid that I taught plays cornerback for Nebraska (Alphonzo Dennard). When supper gonna be ready? Cheers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-25 18:19 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: neylon79 ()
Date: February 24, 2011 23:10

Sounds like a great plan with the whiskey and cigar. You should post here what your reaction is to the first listen. I remember when I first heard that show. I was in high school, all my bootlegs were studio outtakes and a cd store owner told me to come back in a couple weeks when I told him I was way into the stones. He'd ordered brussels and some random live compilation of 70s stuff. I was blown away by brussels. I kind of envy you being able to hear it for the first time.

If you like it, there are plenty of great 73 and 72 shows on here to download, varying sound quality, but there are a decent number of soundboard recordings out there.

If you have any issues with the programs, converting, playing, etc. just post here.

Matt

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 25, 2011 17:59

and down goes Wainwright... bummer.

Date: February 25, 2011 18:22

NWS, got your email. Will be back in touch sooner or later. drinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-25 18:23 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: February 25, 2011 19:19

NWSooner

Here's a mini-list of live recordings you will probably enjoy listening to :

Leeds 1971 (Best known as Get Your Leeds Lungs Out by the Swingin' Pig label)

Brussels 73 (awesome soundboard bootleg) to be found easily under diffferent names, the most famous being Brussels Affair (existing in a definitive edition from Rattlesnake label)

Houston, July 18 1978 ( Handsome Girls is one of the titles of the bootlegs feat. this show)

1981 : Hampton Roads (many versions, easy to get)

1989 : Atlantic City ( The definitive 4CD edition by the Swingin' Pig label is a must)

1995 : Tokyo (soundtrack of the exclusive japanese Laserdisc that came out back in these pre-DVD years)

These are the basis, the absolute must-haves.

There are plenty more great recordings:
7th of July 1990 - Wembley
Tokyo 1990
Cirkus Stockholm 2003
Ahoy 2003
Halloween 1994
Rio 1995
Bremen 1998
Paris 1998
Hollywood Bowl 2005
etc...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-25 20:15 by Doc.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1578
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home