Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
"Hopefully we'll do new songs..."
Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 24, 2013 14:10

In July Mick said:"I'm always writing new songs, so hopefully we'll do new songs one of these days soon..." and then in September:"I've been doing some songwriting, I write all the time..."...So, it was refered to a possible solo work, possible new Stones album in the future, or only a "chat" like Ronnie usually does?!

Re: "Hopefully we'll do new songs..."
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 24, 2013 14:57

Well they'd better be a BIG improvement on Doom n' Gloom and One More shot .....

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 24, 2013 15:10

It starts to look like that 'talk is cheap' behavior has moved from Keith to Mick. Wheras Mick talks about 'writing all the time', Keith actually is making a solo album.

Jagger, we are waiting for action. Dumb the movie projects and get your ass to studio! What about rehearsing the upcoming leg of the tour in a studio by making an album (and ask Taylor join in, too)? Okay, okay, this is idealist fan boy talk...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 24, 2013 15:22

He's written or co-written the greatest body of work in rock and roll. That's a lofty claim but true isn't it? he can do what he wants.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: November 24, 2013 15:59

I'm hoping for something like "I Just Wanna See His Face"...

Did't understand that one when I first listened to Exile
but nowadays I consider it one of the masterpieces...

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 24, 2013 16:08

since nobody forces them to do only old stuff, I consider this to be just Jagger-blahblah, signifying nothing!

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: November 24, 2013 16:11

It's unlikely now - but three months till Eastern shows.

Even a single would be nice - a la Highwire.

I think D&G was a highlight. Lively, different, well-played and sung. Superb graphics/video.

Date: November 24, 2013 16:17

paulywaul
Well they'd better be a BIG improvement on Doom n' Gloom and One More shot .....

I'll be more than happy with songs of that caliber myself.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 24, 2013 16:18

DandelionPowderman
paulywaul

I happen to think Doom n Gloom is one the best tracks of the past ten years - by anyone.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 24, 2013 16:32

duke richardson
he can do what he wants.

Absolutely correct

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 24, 2013 17:14

Send It To me
DandelionPowderman
paulywaul

I happen to think Doom n Gloom is one the best tracks of the past ten years - by anyone.

thumbs up

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: November 24, 2013 17:22

treaclefingers
Send It To me
DandelionPowderman
paulywaul

thumbs up

Yep, D&G straight up rocks. OMS, was a weak effort, I think could've been better with improved lyrics that refer to one more shot (of smack) one more shot in the spotlight etc., and brooding ode from an aging rock god.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 24, 2013 17:23

treaclefingers
Send It To me
DandelionPowderman
paulywaul

thumbs up

Doom & Gloom is very appealing & works great in concert; howvever, One More Shot, doesn't. Mixed Emotions or even Route 66 would be a better follow -up to D & G in setlist.

Posted by: wicked67 ()
Date: November 24, 2013 17:29

after Doom and gloom, one more shot can also do less to make a new record!Then there is the new solo album by Keith incoming......

Posted by: wicked67 ()
Date: November 24, 2013 17:31

indeed I am very curious to hear your version of one more shot of keith solo...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 24, 2013 17:50

i really hope, there wont be any more crap songs like doom and one more shite.

really looking forward to Keefs new album and the Stones shows in Europe though.

Jeroen

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: November 24, 2013 18:12

Well, sorry to spoil the Gloomy party -

but i really like OMS - and he pulled it off well live, (at O2).

Heavens, isn't it good to get anything new/different in these latter day setlists?

I wasn't much impressed by ABB album but it was good to get any stuff off that album on tour. Jagger is more committed and so is the band.

Date: November 24, 2013 18:15

Deluxtone
Well, sorry to spoil the Gloomy party -

but i really like OMS - and he pulled it off well live, (at O2).

Heavens, isn't it good to get anything new/different in these latter day setlists?

I wasn't much impressed by ABB album but it was good to get any stuff off that album on tour. Jagger is more committed and so is the band.

While I prefer D'n'G I think OMS worked better in concert.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 24, 2013 18:15

DandelionPowderman
paulywaul

I wouldn't ! Each to theirs .........

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 24, 2013 18:53

I am one of those who long for a studio album of new songs. And also for Mick Taylor to take part in the recording of it.

Such a new studio album, and as many songa as possible from it to enter setlists - hopefully With Mick Taylor on stage at least during all those new songs - is what will change my mind. Without it, I will in a more reserved manner still try to go to one more Stones concert in Europe. However, with new recorded songs in setlists, I would desire with passion to be in the audiences to more than one concert, if possible.

So, please, make a studio album. I think it might vitalize live playing of old numbers, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-24 18:54 by Witness.

Posted by: LookoutMountain ()
Date: November 24, 2013 19:23

Good to know there are more songs"in the hopper" -- especially now. I agree with you Witness that the addition of Mick Taylor would add a lot to the mix. The old synergy with him and the band seems in place, at least on stage. Taylor's work on Plundered My Soul shows he and Jagger still inspire each other creatively in the studio. So it would SEEM that a studio album would be a natural development, following playing together on tour. Would be a perfect opportunity to get the old "golden era" vibes going again with Ron Wood.

Is it too unconventional from a business pov? (tours usually promote new material) I would wager not in this case.

Doom and Gloom is a great track imo. But quieter ballads and blues material would be great to hear too. Can't wait tongue sticking out smiley

Date: November 24, 2013 19:29

LookoutMountain

Is it too unconventional from a business pov? (tours usually promote new material) I would wager not in this case.

Doom and Gloom is a great track imo. But quieter ballads and blues material would be great to hear too. Can't wait tongue sticking out smiley

That was in the 'olden days'. As new material doesn't sell anymore, and hasn't for some time, releasing a new album is more to promote the tour, where the real money is made.

I think that's the same for most artists now, even ones that sell in larger numbers. The live shows make more money because of what they're charging per ticket. What has the average album increased in price since the 70s, double? (in some cases they're cheaper!)

Concerts though...how many multiples has it increased since the 70s...10x, 15x, maybe more?

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 24, 2013 19:35

don't make a new album, recording new stuff with Mick taylor on board...Is really a lost opportunity.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 24, 2013 20:09

Rolling Hansie
duke richardson
he can do what he wants.

Absolutely correct
Damn right! Doom and Gloom is a great numba'.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 24, 2013 20:27

Doom & Gloom was good, but hardly a Stones record. More like a Jagger solo record. OMS was a waste to listen to once.

I don't expect a new album. I certainly don't expect them to listen to us at all and use Taylor, rope in Wyman, do whatever it takes to make one last great album. Until shown otherwise I'll believe that ship has sailed and hope for more pre 1990 archival releases.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: November 24, 2013 20:51

24FPS
Doom & Gloom was good, but hardly a Stones record. More like a Jagger solo record. OMS was a waste to listen to once.

I don't expect a new album. I certainly don't expect them to listen to us at all and use Taylor, rope in Wyman, do whatever it takes to make one last great album. Until shown otherwise I'll believe that ship has sailed and hope for more pre 1990 archival releases.

Suicide is an option as well. grinning smiley

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 24, 2013 21:24

If you listen to the audio of the interview from which the quote in the thread title is taken, it sounds like his use of the word "hopefully" was thrown in as an aside to both appear to answer the question as well as set it aside so that he could move on to the next question.

Mick is the main man, all he has to do is say the word and the band will convene in the studio. If after 8 years you can only say that "hopefully" they'll work on new material, then there are no such definite plans for the foreseeable future other than occasional batches of concerts in one or two world markets at a time so as not to oversaturate demand in what is now their only profitable capacity.

The two songs from GRRR! were hastily recorded to satisfy the quota of their contract with their latest record company that they produce at least some new material--there was no creative motivation, but merely contractual obligation.

Furthermore, Mick never offers up in any interviews the prospect of new Stones material, as if cheerfully optimistic about the prospect, but will only answer on the subject if pressed by the interviewer. His true current attitude about the likelihood of a new Stones album is more telling in his recent Late Night with David Letterman cameo for the top 10 list where he was willing to take part in joking about the audience only attending concerts to hear old rather than new material, a point that he reiterated in a subsequent interview from this year:

"It would be nice to have a new album, but people don't like the new album when you play it onstage." He added: "They glumly look at you. 'OK, it will be over in a minute'. It's not a good excuse, but it's the truth and has to be said."

[www.nme.com]

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: November 24, 2013 22:32

I think they should record a new album if they have good song ideas for that album, they don't have to do it to please the audience or the fans if they don't want to do it, but Mick's comment about playing the new songs live and the audience not being interested in them is really a bad excuse if they do have ideas and energy to create a new album.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 24, 2013 22:44

Yeah, D&G was definitely worth it, OMS, well, it's listenable...D&G conveys such wonderful memories for me, the Bondy rehearsals of course, the Trabendo, but also the excellent reception it got at HP with a couple of kids next to me howling all the lyrics.

BTW I don't think it was an actual obligation, but Universal did ask if they had any new material available that could be used for Grrr... (a Jagger interview from October 2012 if memory serves), an excellent idea in hindsight and the short sessions in Suresnes certainly got everyone in the right mood for the long rehearsals in Bondy.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 24, 2013 22:44

Chris Fountain
treaclefingers
Send It To me
DandelionPowderman
paulywaul

thumbs up

Doom & Gloom is very appealing & works great in concert; howvever, One More Shot, doesn't. Mixed Emotions or even Route 66 would be a better follow -up to D & G in setlist.

I think OMS worked well in concert, but only so so in the studio. Without the "na na na"-BS it was cool live.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2205
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home