Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Questions for Bill German
Posted by: CattleoftheSun ()
Date: February 17, 2011 22:19

Hello everyone. I very rarely post, but I really enjoy reading what everyone has to say about the World's Greatest Rock n Roll Band.

Tonight, I will have the pleasure to listen to Bill German discuss his book "Under Their Thumb" at Villanova University. There will be a Q&A session at the end. I thought I would see if anyone here has any questions they would like to ask Bill. I am thinking of writing an article about this event for my friend's website. I have a list of questions, but I'd love to hear some suggestions from you.

-CotS

Re: Questions for Bill German
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: February 17, 2011 22:28

Is he still in touch with any of the Stones?
His take on "Life"

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 17, 2011 22:32

Ask him if can verify Keith's claim about Mick's..................oh never mind.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 17, 2011 22:33

What's he going to write about next?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 17, 2011 22:38

taylor or wood?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 17, 2011 22:42

cork ..or screwcap?

Posted by: django ()
Date: February 17, 2011 23:05

In his book he mentioned that he watched a video of an entire 1978 concert from the famous Video James collection. I can't remember on which page it was mentioned and what concert it was, but it wasn't Fort Worth if I remember right. Does that mean that a pro-shot video of a full 1978 concert exists?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 18, 2011 00:17

He answered the question about his contact with the band in his book. There's a story about seeing Ronnie on his book tour. Ronnie made eye contact with him and smiled and that was it. He's no longer in the loop.

Encouraging him to write something else is worthwhile. He is and always was an excellent journalist. His Stones memoir was one of the best books on the band and an entertaining read on its own.

He's a genuinely good guy who is rightfully proud of what he accomplished, but enjoys relative anonymity in fandom these days. His book did a great job of revealing what's great about being a fan and what's embarrassing about being a fan. He experienced on a larger scale what every single regular here goes through - taking it too seriously.

I believe he sometimes posts on Stones Messageboards icognito and never reveals he had insider knowledge keeping his posts to general opinion matters.

A better question is whether he is still friendly with and in contact with James Karnbach. I believe he is, but it would be interesting to hear his response.

For fun, ask him if he ever poses as a Scandinavian named BV or a Brit named Gazza.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 18, 2011 00:26

How much money did he make on the book?

Date: February 18, 2011 00:29

Seriously, SCL, no writer makes a ton of money on a book unless they sell movie rights. Not the way the publishing game works sadly.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 18, 2011 00:35

Does he think there will be a last Rolling Stones tour? If he met Mick on the street one day - would he be ignored? Did he receive any salary from the Stones during all these years? If not: How did he support himself? How many Stones concerts has he seen? Which one was his favourite? Is he unemployed?

Date: February 18, 2011 00:41

Some of this is covered in his book, Stoneage. Take it out from the library if you don't want to spend the cash. Its worth reading.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 18, 2011 00:46

Does he actually speak german?smoking smiley

Date: February 18, 2011 01:10

Thanks Rocky! Germans book didn't recieve much attention (in contrast to Keith's book) outside the fan-quarters here in Sweden. It wasn't reviewed in the papers or translated to Swedish. So my local library will never have it. You can buy it though (the English version) for about 18 Euro. Maybe I will!

Date: February 18, 2011 01:16

Thank you everyone! I am off to meet Mr. German!

Date: February 18, 2011 01:52

Sorry, Stoneage forgive my ignorance in forgetting it is not readily available in some markets. Sometimes you get stuck in your own little world.

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: February 18, 2011 01:56

CattleoftheSun
Hello everyone. I very rarely post, but I really enjoy reading what everyone has to say about the World's Greatest Rock n Roll Band.

Tonight, I will have the pleasure to listen to Bill German discuss his book "Under Their Thumb" at Villanova University. There will be a Q&A session at the end. I thought I would see if anyone here has any questions they would like to ask Bill. I am thinking of writing an article about this event for my friend's website. I have a list of questions, but I'd love to hear some suggestions from you.

-CotS

Please post after you see bill german, would love to hear how the students and faculty at VN liked him.

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: February 18, 2011 01:56

Stoneage
Does he think there will be a last Rolling Stones tour? If he met Mick on the street one day - would he be ignored? Did he receive any salary from the Stones during all these years? If not: How did he support himself? How many Stones concerts has he seen? Which one was his favourite? Is he unemployed?

I'll take a whack at the ones I remember from the book. He didn't receive any salary from the Stones. At one point, Keith, in what seemed a genuine and truly kind gesture, tells him they need to start paying him something, and he thinks he knows how they can do it. Bill tells him thanks but no thanks, he'd rather they not, so he can remain autonomous, and continue to write what he wants, how he wants. He was afraid if they put him on some kind of salary, he wouldn't be free to do Beggars Banquet his way.

He supported himself, barely, through subscriptions from Beggars Banquet. Late in the book, he talks about when he started to get really burned out, and wondered whether he should continue. He says the previous year he only made $14,000, which is crap money anywhere, let alone New York, even back then. He continued for about another year or so, then quit. The year he made the 14 grand was in the middle nineties, if I remember correctly.

I think he sometimes supplemented his income with freelance writing jobs. He did get a small, but fairly reasonable one-time payment, for the book he wrote with Ronnie in the late 80's. It was several thousand dollars, nothing spectacular, but it probably made his life a little easier that year. I got the impression that other work, and perks, occasionally came his way, but he doesn't speak a lot about how much money he made. He speaks more about how little he made.

I don't know the exact number of concerts he saw, and I don't think he says. I can't recall if he saw them in 78, or before, but I think he saw them at least a couple times in 81, and several times from Steel Wheels through, I think it was, Voodoo Lounge. He saw them in Europe and Japan, and possibly other countries too. He also got to see a number of Keith, Mick, and Charlie's solo shows in New York. Including Mick's Webster Hall show, and Keith's televised New Year's show. I can't recall if he saw Ronnie solo. He was also present in London for their Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award, and went with Keith to an after party at Eric Clapton's apartment. I would say he saw them live at least 40-50 times. Maybe a lot more, maybe a bit less, but I don't think he's any kind of record holder in concerts seen.

I seem to recall he does he had a favorite, but I forget which one.

I don't think he really says in the book what he does now. Someone else was wondering how much he made from the book, and another said not much, authors only make money if they sell movie rights. I think that's true, with the exception of those who publish multiple books that are very successful. Your average one time/first time author doesn't make a lot, if any, money off book sales. I imagine Bill got a fairly decent advance, and that's likely where he made his money from the book. I doubt there will be much residual income for him from ongoing sales.

Obviously I can't answer the meeting Mick now question, but in the book, it ran the whole gamut of good and bad. Sometimes he got the charming, warm Mick, sometimes he got Brenda. There were times when Mick was really wonderful to Bill, and times when he was a real dick. And I think Mick snubbed him a time or two also.

It really is a good book. I personally got a little tired of Bill's "voice" at times (the way he writes), but it's very well written, and keeps your interest. You really should do what you can to get a copy. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Date: February 18, 2011 02:13

Sincere thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, Bustedtrousers! Maybe I will buy the book. It seems to be a good and entertaining reading.

Date: February 18, 2011 02:43

Rocky Dijon
He answered the question about his contact with the band in his book. There's a story about seeing Ronnie on his book tour. Ronnie made eye contact with him and smiled and that was it. He's no longer in the loop.

He's a genuinely good guy who is rightfully proud of what he accomplished, but enjoys relative anonymity in fandom these days. His book did a great job of revealing what's great about being a fan and what's embarrassing about being a fan. He experienced on a larger scale what every single regular here goes through - taking it too seriously.

Rocky, you may be able to give insight to this-and I wish I would have seen this thread in time to give to Cattle as a question.

I got the impression that Bill couldn't, or didn't always know when, to take a hint. There were several instances when Keith or Ronnie said to come by, or they'd be glad to do this, or whatever the case may have been, and then frustratingly for Bill, it wouldn't happen.

They were very busy guys, with very chaotic lives, it goes without saying. But do you think they were always sincere, or were they sometimes just telling Bill what he wanted to hear so he would leave them alone? I got the impression that Ronnie and Keith both really liked Bill, and there were many instances where they, sometimes very sweetly, showed this.

But there were other times when I got an opposite feeling. They'd give him a seemingly sincere invite or promise for something, and then Bill would end up either struggling greatly with others in the organization, or even be flat-out stonewalled and denied. I think a lot of times Ronnie was just being characteristically scatter-brained and irresponsible (and I also felt he didn't have as much clout within the Stones operation as he thought). I think Keith was this way too. But with both of them, especially Keith, I think at times it was a little more than that. I particularly got the impression that he had Jane Rose play the bad cop, when he ended up not wanting to deal with Bill after a promise was made.

Then there were his run-ins with security, and Mick and his camp, where similar things would happen. It's understandable that Mick would put the nix on a lot of things, and that he had more power than Keith, and ESPECIALLY Ronnie. But do you think there were times when Ronnie and Keith, especially Keith, just said yeah sure, do this, it will be no problem, just to appease Bill in the moment, knowing full well that the Mick/Jane Rose bureaucracy, would get in his way when the actual time for whatever they promised came?

What's your take on this impression I got, from reading between the lines of Bill's book? Any substance to this theory?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 18, 2011 03:54

I got the impression that Ronnie and Keith may have told Bill he could do things that then became the subject of other people's control.
I never thought they knew beforehand that their promises were empty, not from what Bill said, anyway.

I may just be more naive and optimistic than you, bt.

Date: February 18, 2011 07:20

I would like to share a few thoughts about this evening's event. First, I must warn you that I am very tired and am on a very bumpy Greyhound bus to New York City right now, so there may be some typos and/or rmabling/unclear lines of thought. I plan to put together a coherent article in the coming days and weeks, which will (hopefully) represent the evening and the author well.

A couple of thoughts about Mr. German: He was very gracious and very warm. He's was also quite comical peppering his stories with Mick, Keith and Ronnie impressions. He looked like a regular guy. If you had never seen any pictures from his book, you would have thought he was a faculty member when he walked into the room.

About the presentation: Bill talked for about and hour and twenty minutes. He basically outlined the whole book. He did add a few interesting opinions and pieces of information that I do not recall from his book. Since this was a business school event, he also gave business advice. One point he reiterated several times was having and maintaining the respect and loyalty for your customers that they show you. He mentioned that he thinks the Stones have fallen short of this over the last twenty years by pricing out some of their most loyal fans. He said that he would attend maybe a show or two if they were to tour again.

The Question and Answer part was not nearly long enough. It was maybe twenty minutes long. Bill seemed like he could have stayed all night answering questions and talking about the Stones but the people running the event seemed to be in a hurry to get out which was a shame for me. I only got to ask one question. I asked if he had read Keith's book and if the Keith in Life is the same Keith that Bill knew. He said he had not read Life but had thumbed through it. He said he spotted some inaccuracies, but did not say specifically. He also said he's heard that keith comes off as arrogant in Life, while in Under Their Thumb Keith is portrayed favorably.

Overall, I really enjoyed the event. I wish it had gone on longer, but then again I would never have made this bus. Before I left I asked Bill to sign my copy of his book which he gladly did, addressing it to me personally.

I will be back with more soon. now, I need to get some rest so I can enjoy Honeyboy Edwards in Boston tomorrow night! Maybe I will post a review of that as well.

-CotS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-18 07:32 by CattleoftheSun.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 18, 2011 07:26

....Cots maybe ya mean Honeyboy Edwards...

ROCKMAN

Date: February 18, 2011 07:33

That was embarassing... Thank you Rockman. Just pulled into Port Authority. I need some sleep.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 18, 2011 07:38

that's okay ....get yaself some zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ROCKMAN

Date: February 18, 2011 10:33

angee
I got the impression that Ronnie and Keith may have told Bill he could do things that then became the subject of other people's control.
I never thought they knew beforehand that their promises were empty, not from what Bill said, anyway.

I may just be more naive and optimistic than you, bt.

Well, basically that's what I am asking. Did they really mean what they said, or were they giving Bill empty promises, or sometimes one, sometimes the other. I think with Ronnie, it was usually out of his control, and he isn't the most consistent person anyway. But after awhile, I wondered if Keith didn't always follow through when he could have.

At first I thought like you, they were always sincere, but their lives so chaotic, things were often beyond their control and couldn't work out. But it happened so much, I started to wonder if the opposite wasn't true, at least sometimes. Especially as time went on, maybe they even grew tired of Bill.

And I am pretty cynical.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: February 18, 2011 16:22

Stoneage

I've read his excellent book and it was the Ian Stewart Memorial 100 Club gig, which he attended

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 18, 2011 20:22

I'm surprised Bill hasn't read Keith's book/ I wonder if he still has some bitterness towards him.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: February 19, 2011 01:54

CattleoftheSun
I would like to share a few thoughts about this evening's event. First, I must warn you that I am very tired and am on a very bumpy Greyhound bus to New York City right now, so there may be some typos and/or rmabling/unclear lines of thought. I plan to put together a coherent article in the coming days and weeks, which will (hopefully) represent the evening and the author well.

A couple of thoughts about Mr. German: He was very gracious and very warm. He's was also quite comical peppering his stories with Mick, Keith and Ronnie impressions. He looked like a regular guy. If you had never seen any pictures from his book, you would have thought he was a faculty member when he walked into the room.

About the presentation: Bill talked for about and hour and twenty minutes. He basically outlined the whole book. He did add a few interesting opinions and pieces of information that I do not recall from his book. Since this was a business school event, he also gave business advice. One point he reiterated several times was having and maintaining the respect and loyalty for your customers that they show you. He mentioned that he thinks the Stones have fallen short of this over the last twenty years by pricing out some of their most loyal fans. He said that he would attend maybe a show or two if they were to tour again.

The Question and Answer part was not nearly long enough. It was maybe twenty minutes long. Bill seemed like he could have stayed all night answering questions and talking about the Stones but the people running the event seemed to be in a hurry to get out which was a shame for me. I only got to ask one question. I asked if he had read Keith's book and if the Keith in Life is the same Keith that Bill knew. He said he had not read Life but had thumbed through it. He said he spotted some inaccuracies, but did not say specifically. He also said he's heard that keith comes off as arrogant in Life, while in Under Their Thumb Keith is portrayed favorably.

Overall, I really enjoyed the event. I wish it had gone on longer, but then again I would never have made this bus. Before I left I asked Bill to sign my copy of his book which he gladly did, addressing it to me personally.

I will be back with more soon. now, I need to get some rest so I can enjoy Honeyboy Edwards in Boston tomorrow night! Maybe I will post a review of that as well.

-CotS

Cattle, thank you for your review and response. Glad you were able to enjoy and attend this event!

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Date: February 19, 2011 02:14

exhpart
Stoneage

I've read his excellent book and it was the Ian Stewart Memorial 100 Club gig, which he attended

Right! I think I remember that now. That's funny, because I was thinking he stated it was one of their small club gigs, and I almost said so. But I wasn't sure, and couldn't remember which one. I didn't feel like digging through the book, either.

And I know the Stew memorial isn't really one of "the" club gigs, because it was a private memorial.

I was looking at the book today, and happened to come across where he said he attended around 30 shows on the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour. He gave a specific number, but I already can't remember it. My short-term memory sucks. But if he saw that many on just that tour, then I up my guess of his number of shows from 40-50 to say, 70.

Anyone know what the exact number is?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2083
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home