Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Track Talk: Hold On To Your Hat
Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: September 19, 2019 07:10

GasLightStreet
Garbage. Filler. Awful. "Oh listen to us be a barn burner". Very far far away from that. "Don'tcha gimme no..." oh come on, just piss off.

Haven't listened to this song in years and I can still hear it in my head like a @#$%& church bell that rings 68 times at 7:08 in the evening for no reason.

Try that churchbell on a sunday MORNING after the saturday night before... whar's that aspirin!!!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 19, 2019 07:36

This would have been a good song in an 80's movie during a chase scene with sirens and cops.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: September 19, 2019 11:29

Pure crap like most of the record.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 19, 2019 15:09

Already posted this a few weeks back, but this was first cut in the summer of 1988 with Jimmy Rip, Ronnie, and Charlie backing Mick. Allegedly, some of Mr. Rip's guitar licks are still very much present on STEEL WHEELS on this track and "Break the Spell."

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 19, 2019 15:46

Rocky Dijon
Already posted this a few weeks back, but this was first cut in the summer of 1988 with Jimmy Rip, Ronnie, and Charlie backing Mick. Allegedly, some of Mr. Rip's guitar licks are still very much present on STEEL WHEELS on this track and "Break the Spell."

Are you sure? There was a session in '85 with RW and CW, and in 1988 with Ripp, but I didn't know about his session in '88.

Mathijs

Date: September 19, 2019 15:52

Nico lists this much at least.

880600C June and/or July: probably London, unidentified studio
MJ works on demos with RW (gtr), CW (dr), Jimmy Rip (gtr) and Doug Wimbish
(bass), incl.
- What Kind Of World Is This? (MJ) -unverified\

Not saying I'm sure about Rip playing on those songs. It does sound like it could be him, but that's not proof of anything. I'm only repeating what I was told by someone who claims to have been present.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: September 19, 2019 17:07

I've always enjoyed "Hold On To Your Hat". It does have an antiseptic sound to the production, but I think that adds to the appeal rather than detracts. It's like a sleek, shiny car roaring down the highway. I love blistering rockers like this.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 19, 2019 19:52

Fast and loud doesn't always equal good.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 19, 2019 19:57

Rocky Dijon

(bass), incl.

Not saying I'm sure about Rip playing on those songs. It does sound like it could be him, but that's not proof of anything. I'm only repeating what I was told by someone who claims to have been present.

Certainly could be Rip. Those runs are not very Keith or Woody.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: September 19, 2019 20:13

JumpingKentFlash
Rocky Dijon

(bass), incl.

Certainly could be Rip. Those runs are not very Keith or Woody.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-19 20:14 by SomeGuy.

Date: September 19, 2019 20:14

Rocky Dijon

(bass), incl.

Rip is far superior technically to Keith on rockabilly solos like the one on Hold On To Your Hat. He would never have okayed a take like that - based on other stuff he has recorded.

There are archetypical Keith phrasings in there, too.

My guess is that Mick, Ronnie and Charlie worked on something previously recorded (or developed) by Mick and Jimmy).

Date: September 19, 2019 20:23

That could very well be the case. It may simply be that someone wants to see Mr. Rip recognized for his unsung contributions.

I will note the same individual claimed a few years back that Mr. Rip did most of the tour arrangements the Stones have used onstage since 1989 pointing to the Empress Valley box set of rehearsals as proof.

Hard to know if that is correct as both Bernard and Matt Clifford claim to have worked on arrangements in 1989 and Chuck is the official keeper of the Bible when it comes to rehearsals. Success has many fathers and failure is an orphan, of course.

Worth noting that Nico Zentgraf places the Mick, Jimmy Rip, Ronnie, Charlie, and Doug Wimbish session as June or July and then shows Mick's rehearsals for his tour Down Under starting July 11 in London, but then has this before Mick and his solo band resume rehearsals at Skywalker Sound in Marin County.

880800B mid-August: Pocé sur Cisse, France, La Fourchette (MJ’s homestudio).
MJ, RW and CW work on demos.

I will further note that Bill German mentions Mick playing Keith the demos he cut with Ronnie and Charlie when they met at Jane Rose's office in August 1988 and that Keith lost his temper, but later apologized to Mick.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-19 20:31 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: September 19, 2019 20:25

It's a good riff/jam

Not the greatest delivery overall, but I like it.

Date: September 19, 2019 20:55

Rocky Dijon
That could very well be the case. It may simply be that someone wants to see Mr. Rip recognized for his unsung contributions.

I will note the same individual claimed a few years back that Mr. Rip did most of the tour arrangements the Stones have used onstage since 1989 pointing to the Empress Valley box set of rehearsals as proof.

Hard to know if that is correct as both Bernard and Matt Clifford claim to have worked on arrangements in 1989 and Chuck is the official keeper of the Bible when it comes to rehearsals. Success has many fathers and failure is an orphan, of course.

Worth noting that Nico Zentgraf places the Mick, Jimmy Rip, Ronnie, Charlie, and Doug Wimbish session as June or July and then shows Mick's rehearsals for his tour Down Under starting July 11 in London, but then has this before Mick and his solo band resume rehearsals at Skywalker Sound in Marin County.

I will further note that Bill German mentions Mick playing Keith the demos he cut with Ronnie and Charlie when they met at Jane Rose's office in August 1988 and that Keith lost his temper, but later apologized to Mick.

They may all be right, when it comes to the song arrangements on the SW/UJ-tours (and for some of the songs; ever since).

Many songs were added to the setlists after Mick's solo tours, when The Stones hit the road. Those songs might be the ones Bernard and Matt had in mind (+ some adjustments to Jimmy's arrangements)?

Date: September 19, 2019 21:02

Hadn't really thought about it much, but they're not mutually exclusive. Bernard was likely doing vocal arrangements only and Jimmy was doing musical arrangements.

Hard to know about Matt. He went from brilliant work on STEEL WHEELS and its tour ("Play with Fire" for instance) and on "Angel in My Heart" on WANDERING SPIRIT to largely dreck ever since.

Granted, I don't credit him for "Hide Away" or "Rain Fall Down" and probably should, but he seems so impossibly white that it's hard to imagine that's really his arrangements on both songs.

Date: September 19, 2019 21:06

The pan flute and spanish guitar must be Wyclef's work smiling smiley

Good track, btw.

Date: September 19, 2019 21:10

Only my buddy Bard can hit me between the eyes and then make me realize he just taught me something useful.

Thanks for that, seriously. I now appreciate Mr. Wonder Bread on "Hide Away" after all.

Now if I could just erase the image of his frenzied tambourine playing on "Brown Sugar" from my mind...

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 19, 2019 21:28

i always liked hold on to your hat, but its a like a cheap exile outtake, the weaving guitars i like, jaggers vocals not so sure but the song rocks and is easily far more energetic than the lame mixed emotions which was the single release from steel wheels.

i dont dig steel wheels as much as i used to, the rockers are a bit lame but the album does have some variety, but poor production.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 21, 2019 04:45

Rocky Dijon

Oh wow. Somehow I've not know about this. How absurd!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 21, 2019 07:06

ryanpow
This would have been a good song in an 80's movie during a chase scene with sirens and cops.
Nah

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 21, 2019 08:41

It’s a Kick ass rocker -

One of the things fans of artists who no longer exist don’t have to put up with is a bunch of idiots criticizing work that really doesn’t need criticism.
You don’t see endless nonsense being spewed about “Abbey Road vs Revolver “ or “Axis bold as Love vs Electric Ladyland” yet here we are on a website supposedly dedicated to The Rolling Stones bashing some of the best Rock and Roll ever played.
Thank God I came here because I would have never known what pieces of shit albums like It’s only Rock And Roll and Goats Head Soup were.
I honestly thought for years it was some of the most unbelievable great music I’d ever heard,silly me.
Thanks for telling me how Mick Jaggers voice sucked So often and how shitty Keith and Ronnie played because I was under the mistaken impression that the Stones were really, really good.

Date: September 21, 2019 18:13

<Pssst! You don't have to believe everything you read here, lem!>

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 21, 2019 18:19

GasLightStreet
Rocky Dijon

Oh wow. Somehow I've not know about this. How absurd!
Yes, EXTREMELY interesting.

Why was Keith mad? Because he was cut out of the arrangement process, or he didn't like the end results (or both)?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 21, 2019 19:10

lem motlow
It’s a Kick ass rocker -

One of the things fans of artists who no longer exist don’t have to put up with is a bunch of idiots criticizing work that really doesn’t need criticism.
You don’t see endless nonsense being spewed about “Abbey Road vs Revolver “ or “Axis bold as Love vs Electric Ladyland” yet here we are on a website supposedly dedicated to The Rolling Stones bashing some of the best Rock and Roll ever played.
Thank God I came here because I would have never known what pieces of shit albums like It’s only Rock And Roll and Goats Head Soup were.
I honestly thought for years it was some of the most unbelievable great music I’d ever heard,silly me.
Thanks for telling me how Mick Jaggers voice sucked So often and how shitty Keith and Ronnie played because I was under the mistaken impression that the Stones were really, really good.

So now you're woke? Or you simply choose to never not like something because of blind loyalty - which means absolutely nothing.

Date: September 21, 2019 21:03

keefriff99
Why was Keith mad? Because he was cut out of the arrangement process, or he didn't like the end results (or both)?

Definitely because he was cut out of the arrangement process. Same problem he has voiced more than once in the thirty years since then. I believe Bill German quotes him as saying that he was mad "not just because he went and did it behind my back, but because of his whole attitude toward the Stones."

Of course, that was before Michael Cohl dangled $65 million in front of them and the prospect of spending a year with Mick no longer seemed so daunting.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 22, 2019 09:58

GasLightStreet
lem motlow
It’s a Kick ass rocker -

So now you're woke? Or you simply choose to never not like something because of blind loyalty - which means absolutely nothing.

I was gonna blast you but I’ve actually never met a person from New Orleans I didn’t like so I’ll give a more measured response.
You have a point, I’ve ripped the Stones for all kinds of shit and now I’m complaining about people criticizing them.
The truth is that thing with Jagger last summer fckd me up- I’m just being honest.
In 10 years all the guys from the WHO,The STONES ,ZEP the FLOYD and every other monster band are gonna be dead.
Every few months you’re gonna turn on the radio,TV or go on your iPad and read about the end of music as you know it.
My point, as clumsy as the delivery was, is we may want to adjust our thinking a bit and not be hand wringing over some obscure track as if it’s 1993 when we are so, so close to that day when you wake up and just like that,it’s all gone..,I’m sorry but that’s where we’re at.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 22, 2019 14:00

To me DIRTY WORK, STEEL WHEELS and VOODOO LOUNGE constitute the absolute slump in the great career of the Rolling Stones. Probably I regard "Hold on to Your Hat" as the most indifferent song on STEEL WHEELS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-22 14:01 by Witness.

Date: September 22, 2019 15:17

lem motlow
GasLightStreet
lem motlow
It’s a Kick ass rocker -

I was gonna blast you but I’ve actually never met a person from New Orleans I didn’t like so I’ll give a more measured response.
You have a point, I’ve ripped the Stones for all kinds of shit and now I’m complaining about people criticizing them.
The truth is that thing with Jagger last summer fckd me up- I’m just being honest.
In 10 years all the guys from the WHO,The STONES ,ZEP the FLOYD and every other monster band are gonna be dead.
Every few months you’re gonna turn on the radio,TV or go on your iPad and read about the end of music as you know it.
My point, as clumsy as the delivery was, is we may want to adjust our thinking a bit and not be hand wringing over some obscure track as if it’s 1993 when we are so, so close to that day when you wake up and just like that,it’s all gone..,I’m sorry but that’s where we’re at.

Solid, honest posting.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 22, 2019 15:43

Since the 80's the Stones did some terrible tracks.
This is one of them.
Endless overdubs and bad production was the final straw for it.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 22, 2019 15:46

I'd take the odds that Mick lives past 86.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2186
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home