Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones versus Hendrix
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 10, 2013 02:30

Anybody know how many albums the Stones have released as a group through the present...versus how many Jimi Hendrix albums released from Are You Experienced through the present?

Re: Stones versus Hendrix
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 10, 2013 02:38

Hendrix must be at least 40. I have 38 (I did download quite a few, I have to admit). Thats counting compilations.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: September 10, 2013 02:39

Yeah The Rolling Stones have released 29 studio albums. Jimi Hendrix released 4 albums during his lifetime.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 10, 2013 02:49

Rolling Stones: 29 studio albums, 18 live albums, 33 compilation albums, 3 EPs, 109 singles, countless official bootlegs

Jimi Hendrix: 10 studio albums, 19 live albums, 28 compilation albums, 20 EPs, 17 singles, 23 official bootlegs

Jimi's work consists of 4 years, whereas in later years, The Stones often go twice that long in between studio albums, so Hendrix may well pull ahead in other categories listed above. His estate will find a way.

None of the above includes a jam with Arthur Lee and Love in 1970, out of which came Easy Rider, which appeared on Love's sixth album, False Start:

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 10, 2013 03:53

Hendrix' output during his lifetime, was so limited. Yet, all studio albums ranks among some of the best music ever released by an artist. He covered extremely much ground on those albums. No offence to The Stones, but they had a more 'on and off' attitude, regarding strength material-wise. However, the golden four albums are on par with the Hendrix albums.

Date: September 10, 2013 03:58

How do you feel about the albums that have come since Hendrix death?

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 10, 2013 04:10

They are a mixed bag. I love most of the unfinished album, First Rays.
There are some very nice things on the Purple boxed set, and Valleys Of Neptune are also ok. I do wish they had made a big chronological box set for the recordings made after Electric Ladyland.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: September 10, 2013 04:12

His sister/step sister whatever the relationship deserves a kick for the blatant money grab she's done without any regard for the qualify - or rather lack of - material she's spewed the public's way since his death.

Some imo is must have - esp Montery album and vid - but most is gear I'm sure Hendrix would rather have never seen the light of day.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 10, 2013 06:29

Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitarist of all time IMO. However, as good as Jimi was I bet Keith has inspired more people to pick up the instrument than Jimi did. Jimi's three albums with the Experience are some of the finest ever, He was light years ahead of his time. Some of the stuff his estate has put out though is downright terrible,
Angel, Little Wing and the Wind Cries Mary are three of my all-time favorite songs. I also love Dolly Dagger.

Why do we have to rate him against the Stones?

Date: September 10, 2013 06:44

I'm not rating JH against the Stones. I don't think that way at all.

I'm working on an article about the ludicrous amount of albums released to make a buck since his death. As compared to several other bands still recording and also others who died young.

Hendrix's "catalog" makes me sad and angry but not everyone feels that way. His music was so important to him, really all he had, and I'm happy for the Stones, Springsteen, etc. etc. who have, for the most part, ultimately had control over their own music.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: September 10, 2013 07:04

The follow up to First Rays,South Saturn Delta,has some good stuff on it.

Date: September 10, 2013 07:31

slew
Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitarist of all time IMO. However, as good as Jimi was I bet Keith has inspired more people to pick up the instrument than Jimi did. Jimi's three albums with the Experience are some of the finest ever, He was light years ahead of his time. Some of the stuff his estate has put out though is downright terrible,
Angel, Little Wing and the Wind Cries Mary are three of my all-time favorite songs. I also love Dolly Dagger.

Why do we have to rate him against the Stones?

i doubt keth has inspired more people to pick up the guitar than hendrix.

Date: September 10, 2013 07:35

OzHeavyThrobber
His sister/step sister whatever the relationship deserves a kick for the blatant money grab she's done without any regard for the qualify - or rather lack of - material she's spewed the public's way since his death.

Some imo is must have - esp Montery album and vid - but most is gear I'm sure Hendrix would rather have never seen the light of day.

i think since she took over the releases have been great:
first rays
south saturn delta
the purple boxset
valleys of neptune
west coast seattle boy
people, hell and angels
winterland boxset

and all the other live releases. good stuff.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: September 10, 2013 09:28

Blueranger
I do wish they had made a big chronological box set for the recordings made after Electric Ladyland.

Now you can make your own:

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

smileys with beer

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: September 10, 2013 09:42

stonesrule

I think that none of the posthumous Hendrix releases are up to the standard of the material he released when alive. This includes The Cry Of Love. In fact, I always wondered if Jimi's death was somehow connected to what looks to me as an artistic burnout.

Date: September 10, 2013 09:57

stonesrule

I think the double album "First Rays Of The New Rising Sun" is excellent.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: September 10, 2013 11:37

'scuse me while I milk this guy.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 10, 2013 12:41

During his lifetime, an artist should have full control of his art. If he decides to keep something for himself, or if he believes that something else is not yet ready, he should have all the rights to do so. Often it doesn't work this way, but this is how things should work.

But once the artist is deceased, his work should belong to everybody. Full free access would be my ideal world. At the cost of going against the will of grumpy artists. I remain convinced that the world is somehow richer with the possibility of reading, say, a book by Kafka while listening to postumous Hendrix music.

Of course most jurisdictions allow heirs and other third parties to exploit the work of the deceased artist and, to certain extent, edit said work.

Fair enough as far as exploitation goes, but postumous editing is something that to me sounds plain wrong. This is the main issue that I have with JH "new" releases. Blues and Rays are the only two studio releases that can be listened.

Live recordings, the more we have, the better!

C

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: September 10, 2013 18:22

stonesrule

Great album;
Live at Monterey.
Jimi's three-night stand at Winterland in San Francisco from October of 1968, excellent recordings by Wally Heider.

What's up with JH brother Leon, has anyone ever met him?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-11 10:06 by runaway.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 10, 2013 19:06

Date: September 10, 2013 22:25

To be honest, I'm having trouble getting through his live albums. But his studio albums are excellent thumbs up

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 10, 2013 23:05

DandelionPowderman
To be honest, I'm having trouble getting through his live albums. But his studio albums are excellent thumbs up

Guess what....there's another one coming.
"Jimi Hendrix Experience: Miami Pop Fesitval, one of Hendrix’s most iconic performances as originally recorded by Hendrix’s sound engineer, Eddie Kramer, will be released as a single CD and limited edition double 12” audiophile vinyl."

[www.rollingstone.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: September 10, 2013 23:17

Due to his beautiful mind, Jimi was, is and always will be my personal God.

So sad not having had the chance to hear what could have followed if he hadn't gone resting in peace so early (although I doubt he did/does) ...

Someone wrote here how lucky he feels himself to have been living in this period of time with all the real good music stuff coming over us.

That's how I feel too. (at least till the end of the seventies + maybe the red hot chili peppers and nirvana later).

Then again so happy, that JH didn't have to experience capitalism as it developed.

He signed contracts just to being able to continue playing HIS music... What might have been possible? We'll never know.

To act like Jagger i.e. playing the same songs over and over and over and over and over again and just make money for the brood would have killed him anyway.

So:

happy that he could keep his beautiful mind (almost) till his end.

Enjoy your peace Jimi, wherever you are!

ps:

Only Mick Taylor is able to reanimate the Stones and give all of us (including themselves) another kick, otherwise they should quit! Really!!!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 10, 2013 23:35

Deltics

Guess what....there's another one coming.
"Jimi Hendrix Experience: Miami Pop Fesitval

And it seems they got the complete SB tape! thumbs up
(the bootlegs only have 4 songs)

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: September 10, 2013 23:52

There is also a new documentary about Hendrix that is going to be on PBS's American Masters series.

Hear My Train A-Comin'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1876
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home