Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Super Bowl
Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: February 5, 2011 19:44

sweet neo con
Packers 34 Steelers 24 - i had a premonition that it would be GB 34-24.

Since SNC is almost ALWAYS wrong, premonition or not :^) - I'm goin' with Packers 24/Steelers 34. Many thanks, in advance, to da Sweet Dude :^) (I can already see the cash just rolling in - YEAH !!!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-05 20:19 by CrissCrossMind.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: February 5, 2011 20:08

Not much interest in either team but Green Bay has been on a roll. I'll take the Pack!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: February 5, 2011 21:33

CrissCrossMind

Since SNC is almost ALWAYS wrong

what do you mean? you're the one that voted for Obama. winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: February 5, 2011 22:59

sweetcharmedlife

Will you knock it off man. Pick another thread to talk politics and fight with SNC on. I don't want this one shut down!

I agree.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: February 5, 2011 23:00

SCL, Whoa, come on (you're misunderstanding the whole thing big time),.... relax bro' - por favor mi amigo, there's no fighting going AT ALL (I actually agreed with him). It's all in good nature anyway (I don't even knows what it all means - just clowning around), I'm smiling and I'm sure he (SNC) is too.... we're just joking around. and as I said - Packers 24, Steel Wheelers 34. You know I LOVE football, my best friend's sister dated Broadway Joe, Please relax - herb, lager, vico's - choose your medicine.... All Apologies my man :^)

Date: February 5, 2011 23:10

Ah, come on, both of you... enough with the "Drama Queen" act. How old are we? I apologized if things were misunderstood. I guess the game has everyone stressed out. Again, I apologize if ANYTHING was taken seriously (I was joking around, I assumed SNC was too).... I'm gonna go play with my hamster for awhile, it's almost nap time anyway... Adios boys...

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 5, 2011 23:23

I predict it will NOT be close!! The Packers will get a lead and build o n it: 31-7 Packers.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 5, 2011 23:45

CrissCrossMind
my best friend's sister dated Broadway Joe,

Everybody's best friend's sister dated Broadway Joe! LOL smileys with beer

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 5, 2011 23:57

BROADWAY JOE !!! You gotta love the dude. Always charming and a class act all the way !!!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 6, 2011 00:37

if anyone is interested the stones complete super bowl press conf is up on youtube, not just the usual short clips, its the complete 12 plus minutes, never saw it complete until last nite keith is funny

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 6, 2011 00:51

melillo
if anyone is interested the stones complete super bowl press conf is up on youtube, not just the usual short clips, its the complete 12 plus minutes, never saw it complete until last nite keith is funny

How about posting it here?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 6, 2011 01:04

Date: February 6, 2011 04:04

CrissCrossMind
BROADWAY JOE !!! You gotta love the dude. Always charming and a class act all the way !!!

Namath changed the landscape of Pro Football forever when he and the Jets took down the mighty Colts!

Date: February 6, 2011 04:14

No Expectations
Namath changed the landscape of Pro Football forever when he and the Jets took down the mighty Colts!

And all this time I thought it was his use of panty hose that changed football.

Date: February 6, 2011 04:16

Edith Grove
No Expectations

And all this time I thought it was his use of panty hose that changed football.

A common misconception :-)

Date: February 6, 2011 08:08

Fri Feb 04 09:51am EST

How did the Green Bay Packers get their nickname?
By Chris Chase

The oldest continuous franchise in the NFL also has the most unique nickname. In a league whose team names lean toward an animal (Eagles, Dolphins, Panthers) or a historical event (49ers, Ravens, Patriots) or a controversial nod to the past (Chiefs, Redskins), the Green Bay Packers stand out. How did the 92-year-old franchise get the name?

As with most questions in sports, the answer has to do with money.

In 1919, Curly Lambeau decided to start a football team in the small Wisconsin town of Green Bay. Akron, Canton, Dayton, Hammond and Muncie all had teams, so it wasn't a stretch for Lambeau to start a franchise in his hometown. He just needed some funding to get off the ground.

At the time, Lambeau was earning $250 per month as a shipping clerk at a local meatpacking company. He convinced his employer to put up $500 for jerseys and equipment and also got permission to use the company's athletic field for practice. With all that support from the packing company, it was a natural that the team call itself the Packers.

The affiliation with the Indian Packing Company soon ended and before the team's first official NFL season, the company was absorbed by the Acme Packing Company. For a time, the team wore "Acme Packers" on the jersey. In each official NFL season, the team has been known as the Green Bay Packers. Both companies would soon be out of business, but the name stuck.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 6, 2011 15:17

I'll take the Steelers plus the points. They will win outright. Also, to start the day positive- take Florida State +7 as a road dog. Seminoles are the most underrated b-ball team in c-ball. Heels are vastly improving with Barnes gaining confidence....However, this the day of the dog! Why in the hell are the Steelers gettin points against a plastic team to begin with?

Date: February 6, 2011 16:07

i might go for the packers because steelers fans are so arrogant and annoying. if the steelers were bad for the next 20 seasons those fans would jump ship.

plus steelers fans just won't admit the packers have more NFL championships. who cares when they started calling it the superbowl. when you win the superbowl you are still called the nfl champion

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 6, 2011 16:42

sweet neo con
skipstone
Ah, I had it mixed up. Although it having to do with the CHI White Sox was on heh heh.

From [www.answerbag.com]

Green Bay packers’ fans are often referred as “cheeseheads”. The people of Wisconsin are referred to with the term due to its cheese production. The name was given by the Chicago White Sox fans at a Milwaukee Brewers game as an insult in 1987. Since then, with the passage of time, the name and the hats have been embraced by Packers fans.

Source: [www.discover-green-bay.com]

Read more: Why are the greenbay packers called cheeseheads | Answerbag [www.answerbag.com]

sorry....but answerbag.com is not correct. the term cheesehead existed long before 1987.

not saying White Sox fans didn't use the term but...they did NOT originate it.

I've lived here in Wisconsin all of my life except for a few years in the '60s.

Ah. Figures. It was the only thing I could find at the time. But you see, it's on the internet, mannnn, it MUST be true! Why, even that wonderful source of "information", Wikipedia, says the same thing, as do other various wiki-whatevers.

What the hell is with that anyway? Wiki this and wiki that? Is it just the stupid equivalent of iThis and iThat?

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 6, 2011 16:49

Skipstone -

Wikipedia is a concern of reliability; however I find the website very useful for locating data on history or general information. Please keep in mind that Wiki is driven by participants and is neutral in nature. Hell it beats the hell out of finding Worldbook encycs. Worldbook is something out of my youth ...many years ago.It was great learning tool.

Date: February 6, 2011 19:39

So what's on the menu for everybody's Super Bowl party? Going to a friend's house who has promised to make her awesome fried chicken. Among her other usual fine foods. Go Steelers!smileys with beer

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 6, 2011 21:10

Filet Mignon, good beer and the Packers kicking ass, I hope!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 6, 2011 22:21

Sports column in the daily newspaper by Jerry Sullivan:

Winning will not erase Big Ben's past
Steelers' quarterback missed four games after being accused of sexual assault twice in a nine-month span

I'll admit, I'm not objective on this one. I'm rooting against the Steelers in the Super Bowl today. To be more specific, I'm rooting against Ben Roethlisberger.

Too often, we confuse victory with virtue. Athletes commit all manner of indiscretions. But fans are desperate for any reason to forgive, any sign of contrition in their fallible heroes. Win the big game and it's a tale of human redemption.

Sorry, I'm not ready for Roethlisberger to win a third Super Bowl and tell the world he's headed to Disneyworld after being named the MVP.

It's too soon. Less than a year ago, "Big Ben" was accused of sexual assault for the second time in nine months. He never was charged with a crime. Still, commissioner Roger Goodell felt Roethlisberger's boorish and borderline criminal behavior warranted a six-game suspension, which was later reduced to four games.

Roethlisberger claims to be a new man. He's no longer the guy who mistreated waitresses, bolted on bar tabs and had his posse clean up after him. He wants to be a role model. Big Ben wouldn't reflect on his troubles during Super Bowl week. He quoted from the Bible. That night, he was seen throwing down rum and Cokes in a piano bar at 1 a.m.

Last week, I saw a report from the U.S. Department of Justice, estimating that one in five college women will be sexually assaulted. I have two daughters in college, one in graduate school, one a freshman.

A father worries. I tell my girls that even the good guys are trouble. Roethlisberger is not one of the good guys. He's no role model. The guy has a lot of nerve to even utter those words. The role models are the guys who never need a lesson in how to treat women, the ones who never use fame, money and power to intimidate.

Maybe Roethlisberger really is a changed man. Maybe it's easier to sell the transformation when you have a $100-million contract and a legion of supporters. Is he somehow more likely to reform than all those anonymous abusers on college campuses who have no fan clubs?

Roethlisberger doesn't need to be glorified. He needs to be humbled. I'm not sure the outcome of today's game will make a difference, one way or the other. The world won't be any safer for young women if he gets his butt kicked. That doesn't mean I won't enjoy seeing it.

I'm pulling for the better man today, Aaron Rodgers. OK, I'm less than objective, but I feel Rodgers is a better quarterback than Roethlisberger right now. He's been the best player of the NFL postseason and is getting his due as one of the great young quarterbacks in the game.

Rodgers is the real redemption song. He appears to be a decent guy. There hasn't been a whiff of controversy during his six years in tiny Green Bay. Rodgers has been wise enough to strike up a friendship with Packers legend Bart Starr. Now there's a role model for you.

It hasn't been easy for him. Rodgers lasted until the 24th pick of the 2005 draft. Experts felt he was too stiff mechanically. He wasn't a good enough athlete. For three years, he sat behind Brett Favre in Green Bay. Favre was upset with the choice and did nothing to help mentor Rodgers.

When Rodgers finally got a chance to start after Favre's departure in 2008, he proved his critics wrong. He threw for 4,000 yards his first two seasons and fell just short this year. Say what you will about quarterback ratings: Rodgers' career rating of 98.4 is the best in history.

Nowadays, the experts rave about Rodgers' consistency, his smooth mechanics and lightning-quick release. Rodgers has been a revelation in the postseason. His performance at Atlanta (31 for 36, 366 yards, 3 TDs) was one of the most efficient in history.

Rodgers is mobile with a cannon of an arm. That's a dangerous combination, one that could give the Steelers fits. Teams with an elite quarterback and deep receiving corps tend to do well against the Pittsburgh blitzes. If you attack them through the air and make them use extra defensive backs, you can move the ball on them.

Tom Brady went 30 for 43 for 350 yards and three TDs this year in a big win. Drew Brees beat them, going 34 for 44 for 305 yards and two TDs. Rodgers was 26 for 48 for 383 yards and three TDs in a 37-36 loss a year ago. Kurt Warner was 31 for 43 for 377 yards and three TDs in the Super Bowl two years ago.

The Steelers' defense is the best in the league against the run. But you don't need to run that much to beat them. As the Pats and Saints proved, you can throw 40-plus times, mix in 20 runs and win. The Cardinals ran just 12 times in Super Bowl XLIII and nearly pulled off the upset.

Rodgers has as much an arm as the other three QBs, and he can run. He had 356 yards rushing and four TDs this season. He'll buy time with his legs against an aggressive Pittsburgh defense eager to knock him out of the game.

The Packers have a gifted stable of wide receivers. Indoors, on a fast surface, Rodgers will have a big game if he avoids the blitz and make accurate throws in four- and five-receiver sets.

Roethlisberger has won two Super Bowls. He's tough. Like Rodgers, he makes plays on the move. But the Steelers' offensive line is weak and compromised by injuries.

Big Ben will make his share of big plays. Rodgers will make one or two more. It should be close. There's always a chance Roethlisberger will pull out another Super Bowl and establish himself as one of the great QBs of all time.

It'll take a lot more than that for me to believe he's turned into a great guy

by Jerry Sullivan the Buffalo News Senior Sports Columnist

Date: February 6, 2011 22:38

Sicilian?

Date: February 7, 2011 00:03

Going with some BBQ'd pulled chicken breast sandwiches slow cooked in the crockpot on low for 6 hours. Chicken breast/Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce/Brown Sugar/Italian Salad Dressing/and a dash of Worcestershire served on a Francisco French roll.......

Date: February 7, 2011 00:08

"Pinch the tail & suck the head"

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 7, 2011 00:30

I couldn't care less about what Ben did. All I know is the Steelers have won enough. They've turned into the goddamn NY Yankees of football. It's BORING. And using roman numerals is stupid.

Aaron Rogers is the new blood. Go Packers.

Teams that have never made the Supe: Detroit, Cleveland, Houston and Jacksonville.

Teams that have never won a Supe that have made it: Buffalo and Minnesota.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 7, 2011 00:33

When does the game start and what timezone is it? I live in Europe (CET - Central European Timezone).

Date: February 7, 2011 00:49

skipstone
I couldn't care less about what Ben did. All I know is the Steelers have won enough. They've turned into the goddamn NY Yankees of football. It's BORING. And using roman numerals is stupid.

Aaron Rogers is the new blood. Go Packers.

Teams that have never made the Supe: Detroit, Cleveland, Houston and Jacksonville.

Teams that have never won a Supe that have made it: Buffalo and Minnesota.

at least the lions still have some nfl championships from before the SB started

you forgot the bengals have been to the SB and never won

Date: February 7, 2011 01:08

Stoneage
When does the game start and what timezone is it? I live in Europe (CET - Central European Timezone).

EDIT: 6:30 PM U.S. Eastern Time which (I think) would be 00:30 CET.

[www.nfl.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-07 01:13 by Edith Grove.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home