Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 12 of 15
Re: Jagger at Grammy awards
Posted by: behroez ()
Date: February 14, 2011 19:18

See what Mick is capable of if he doesn't have to worry about and keep an eye on Keith.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: February 14, 2011 19:21

Title5Take1
ineedadrink
it's pretty easy to be energetic when you're singing one line over and over and over again winking smiley

Yeah, he should have done Queen's BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY, even though it was a Solomon Burke tribute!!!
>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: February 14, 2011 19:27

behroez
See what Mick is capable of if he doesn't have to worry about and keep an eye on Keith.

Ouch! That hurt a lot.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 14, 2011 19:34

little queenie

at the Wiltern 02, while solomon placing the cape on mick (obviously unrehersed)....mick looked flabberasted and shot looks at everyone like "oh my god" almost trying to give the cape back. tonight he thought it appropriate to wear....

i didn't notice but a friend pointed out that he was wearing a "Burger King crown" beltbuckle...

LQ, yeah, good point. I think in the original show, Mick was trying to get rid of it because it was way too heavy for performing.
Then someone came up, maybe him, with the brilliant idea to open with it on, with his back to the audience. He
knew he could take it off right away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-14 19:35 by angee.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 14, 2011 19:39

behroez

haha...that actually holds some truth

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 14, 2011 20:11

I always thought that thing with the cape at the Wiltern and Mick pushing it off was to do with his knighthood. Appearently just after he got it his kids were all coming up and bowing and stuff as a joke....I got the impression that Mick thought Solomon trying to put a cape on him was meant as a joke in this vein but Mick didn't appreciate it in public not realising that by giving Mick the cape Solomon was actually complimenting his masterly ability to deliver R&B/soul songs.......

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 14, 2011 20:15

Great performance.

He looked pale though - a bit of sun tanning and 2 more kilo on his body and he would looked healthier.

Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: February 14, 2011 20:28

Beast
paulywaul
The performance is pure Jagger, he's pretty much doing what he's always done. I thought it was great, it was him being the Mick Jagger the world has always known, and doing what Mick Jagger does best. I imagine the good reverend would be looking down fondly and nodding his head with 100 percent approval. Ten out of ten Sir Mick.

+1 thumbs up

I Agree Beast +1 from you, +1 from Paul, +1 from me...., so so far we have +5 !!! (so let's round up even more !!! ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT !!) ") (the Math Genius)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-14 20:30 by CrissCrossMind.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 14, 2011 20:52

CrissCrossMind
Beast
paulywaul
The performance is pure Jagger, he's pretty much doing what he's always done. I thought it was great, it was him being the Mick Jagger the world has always known, and doing what Mick Jagger does best. I imagine the good reverend would be looking down fondly and nodding his head with 100 percent approval. Ten out of ten Sir Mick.

+1 thumbs up

I Agree Beast +1 from you, +1 from Paul, +1 from me...., so so far we have +5 !!! (so let's round up even more !!! ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT !!) ") (the Math Genius)

+1

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 14, 2011 20:59

jamesfdouglas
CrissCrossMind
Beast
paulywaul

+1 thumbs up

+1

+ another one - looking good (although if he gets any thinner he's going to disappear...) and sounding good.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 14, 2011 21:03

jamesfdouglas
CrissCrossMind
Beast
paulywaul

+1 thumbs up

+1

What is this the high school equivalency diploma test? Or is it the donate an inch to the todger fund?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 14, 2011 21:17

The Sicilian
jamesfdouglas
CrissCrossMind
Beast
paulywaul

+1 thumbs up

+1

What is this the high school equivalency diploma test? Or is it the donate an inch to the todger fund?

You really ought to save your A material for the late set at the Top Bananna. I'm sure you kill em in Buffalo.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 14, 2011 21:19

Green Lady
jamesfdouglas
CrissCrossMind
Beast
paulywaul

+1 thumbs up

+1

+1

+ another one - looking good (although if he gets any thinner he's going to disappear...) and sounding good.

Date: February 14, 2011 21:20

MKjan
Green Lady
jamesfdouglas
CrissCrossMind
Beast
paulywaul

+1 thumbs up

+1

+1

+1

Date: February 14, 2011 21:39

behroez

From Yahoo:

BEST JUSTIFICATION FOR THE CONTINUED EXISTENCE OF CATWALKS: MICK JAGGER
He's still got it. There were an inordinate number of other tribute spots to old or decased artists on the show: the four divas paying homage to Aretha; John Mayer, Keith Urban, and Norah Jones giving it up for Dolly; Barbra paying tribute to herself. But Mick did the best job of capturing what was great about the honoree, Solomon Burke, as well as himself. Now if only his band leader-Raphael Saadiq-had merited an introduction, but Mick has learned how things can go wrong when you let the guitarist get a little attention.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 14, 2011 22:03

LA Times
As for Mick Jagger paying tribute to Solomon Burke, there was nothing not to like in his take on "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love." Jagger was raised on this sort of bluesey-soul, and he brought the crowd to his feet like few others. Personally, I would have liked to have seen him dig a little deeper and go beyond the big hit that's been covered by dozens, and give a performance that really would inspire people to check out Burke.

-- Todd Martens

Washingtonpost
Mick Jagger reminded us that he's still a formidable stage presence. Also, that he's exceedingly skinny.

NY Times
That left Mr. Jagger. He was there to pay his own tribute: to the soul singer Solomon Burke, who died last year and was one of Mr. Jagger’s major influences when the Rolling Stones began. Lean and angular in a teal brocade tuxedo, backed by a soul band in suits, Mr. Jagger sang Mr. Burke’s “Everybody Needs Somebody to Love” with sass and affection, rooster-strutting all over the huge stage and pushing around his guitarist. No choreography — just a rock star jumping around. Some of the youngsters could take some tips.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 14, 2011 22:58

Mick more than rose to the occasion. he pulled it off big time...just saw this review..very nice..[www.spinner.com].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-14 23:24 by Rip This.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 14, 2011 23:50

Fantastic performance, really! 67...and sharing the same barber as Wyman!

Mathijs

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: February 15, 2011 00:21

EddieByword
I always thought that thing with the cape at the Wiltern and Mick pushing it off was to do with his knighthood. Appearently just after he got it his kids were all coming up and bowing and stuff as a joke....I got the impression that Mick thought Solomon trying to put a cape on him was meant as a joke in this vein but Mick didn't appreciate it in public not realising that by giving Mick the cape Solomon was actually complimenting his masterly ability to deliver R&B/soul songs.......

interesting theory....but i was front row at that show and mick's reaction was intense but positive...smiling, laughing....embarassed. it really was like an "naw, you shouldn't...i'm not worthy" response.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 15, 2011 00:28

mick dominates keith as far as keeping busy, seems like keith is just waiting around for the stones tour

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: February 15, 2011 00:29

little queenie
EddieByword

interesting theory....but i was front row at that show and mick's reaction was intense but positive...smiling, laughing....embarassed. it really was like an "naw, you shouldn't...i'm not worthy" response.

Little Queenie - I was there, too, and agree with your assessment of Mick's reaction.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 15, 2011 00:35

MKjan
MKjan
Green Lady
jamesfdouglas
CrissCrossMind
Beast
paulywaul

+1 thumbs up

+1

+1

+1

Holy s**t ... never had so many people actually agree with something I've said ... cool smiley ... a barrage of abuse is more commonly the reaction of most folks winking smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 15, 2011 00:35

Thanks Mick

Thanks Grammys, CBS...

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 15, 2011 00:38

Jah Paul
little queenie
EddieByword

Little Queenie - I was there, too, and agree with your assessment of Mick's reaction.
....I wasn't there and to be sure there's nothing like a first hand experience so thanks for clearing that up, Eddie...thumbs up

Date: February 15, 2011 00:44

schillid

Thanks Mick

Thanks Grammys, CBS...

Thanks schillid

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 15, 2011 00:45

smileys with beer

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 15, 2011 00:47

paulywaul
MKjan
MKjan
Green Lady
jamesfdouglas
CrissCrossMind
Beast
paulywaul

+1 thumbs up

+1

+1

+1

Holy s**t ... never had so many people actually agree with something I've said ... cool smiley ... a barrage of abuse is more commonly the reaction of most folks winking smiley
Well F U then. No,I'm just kidding pauly. Add me as another +1.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: February 15, 2011 00:51

sweetcharmedlife
paulywaul
MKjan
MKjan
Green Lady
jamesfdouglas
CrissCrossMind
Beast
paulywaul

+1 thumbs up

+1

+1

+1

Well F U then. No,I'm just kidding pauly. Add me as another +1.

and me +1

Date: February 15, 2011 00:52

I think Jagger was phenomenal. That kind of audience is a tough crowd. They are the elite of popworld, they've been there for hours and have seen a lot of show; so to get them on their feet and genuinely smiling is tough. At a Stones show Jagger can come out in his robe and slippers and the place will rock.
In the breakdown when he is going "is everybody having a good time" he does that weird voice, where I was afraid he was going to go into that "I am the clean-up woman" bit again. Haha..
When the dude earlier got deep about Jagger sending a message to Keith by messing around with the guitarist, I don't think that is so far fetched. I'm sure he did not devise this as a strategy (matter of fact I don't think he thinks about Keith much at all), but it did show that Jagger wants some people to toss with. I think he'd rather have a band like this.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 15, 2011 01:14

16 380 views in less than twelve days! Jagger's performance sends echos through this board!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 12 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1267
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home