Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: Sid Vicious died 32 years ago today.
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: February 7, 2011 00:25

lsbz
Nikolai
Also there were Morrissey and Mick Hucknall of Simply Red. And Duran Duran too - yup, they started out as a punk band. Simon LeBon cited Pretty Vacant as one of his favourite records.

Maybe, but those and others you mention are pretty minor bands too. I'd say that generally any good Hollies track is more influential on good bands than everything the Sex Pistols did combined. And then you're talking about a very relative, minor influence as well.

Oh, I get it. You're a troll. Sorry I fed you. You were good though. I'll give you that.

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: February 7, 2011 00:32

Nikolai
lsbz
Nikolai
Also there were Morrissey and Mick Hucknall of Simply Red. And Duran Duran too - yup, they started out as a punk band. Simon LeBon cited Pretty Vacant as one of his favourite records.

Maybe, but those and others you mention are pretty minor bands too. I'd say that generally any good Hollies track is more influential on good bands than everything the Sex Pistols did combined. And then you're talking about a very relative, minor influence as well.

Oh, I get it. You're a troll. Sorry I fed you. You were good though. I'll give you that.

No, you're not going to get away with that. If you keep insulting me, I may file a complaint with the board admins. I am serious in my discussions and you may not agree with me, but you should use arguments and not insults.

Date: February 7, 2011 00:44

Nikolai
How old are you?

None of your business. Complaint filed.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 7, 2011 00:45

Please, cool down gentlemen! Agree to disagree and call it quits. By the way, please accept my apologies for my first post in this thread. Americans do understand punk. You got the Ramones! I forgot about them. 1-2-3, let's go!

Date: February 7, 2011 00:54

Stoneage
Please, cool down gentlemen! Agree to disagree and call it quits. By the way, please accept my apologies for my first post in this thread. Americans do understand punk. You got the Ramones! I forgot about them. 1-2-3, let's go!

You made a good point there - contentious as it was. winking smiley Accepted wisdom has it that 'punk' was a term the UK media coined in the wake of the Pistols, to lump any band who played short, sharp, aggressive songs. Once the music industry got to grips with punk, it sub-categorised the upcoming roster of singer-songwriters like Elvis Costello, Ian Dury, Joe Jackson et al as 'new wave'.

In New York. the magazine Punk was started in 1976 to cover uncategorizable groups and singers emerging from CBGBS - Patti Smith, Blondie, The Ramones, Television, Richard Hell, Talking Heads. Unlike their British counterparts, they had nothing in common musically.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 7, 2011 00:57

First time I checked this post...................I'm out

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 7, 2011 01:08

I love the Sex Pistols, and if it weren't for them maybe SOME GIRLS (my favorite Stones album) wouldn't have be what it is.

From Barbara Charone's Keith biography p. 175. "Jagger has kept a watchful eye on the British punk scene, imitating them in song and gesture in the studio."

The Ramones were American punk and Mick was obviously inspired to write When the Whip Comes Down by the Ramones' song 53rd and 3rd.

Date: February 7, 2011 01:29

Title5Take1
I love the Sex Pistols, and if it weren't for them maybe SOME GIRLS (my favorite Stones album) wouldn't have be what it is.

From Barbara Charone's Keith biography p. 175. "Jagger has kept a watchful eye on the British punk scene, imitating them in song and gesture in the studio."

The Ramones were American punk and Mick was obviously inspired to write When the Whip Comes Down by the Ramones' song 53rd and 3rd.

That's a great point. Whip is about a gay hustler, and Dee Dee Ramone wrote 53rd and 3rd from personal experience (in fact, there's even a rumour that he really did knife a john).

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: February 7, 2011 06:44

Nikolai
Title5Take1

That's a great point. Whip is about a gay hustler, and Dee Dee Ramone wrote 53rd and 3rd from personal experience (in fact, there's even a rumour that he really did knife a john).

Speaking of Dee Dee, he was one of Sid's hereos (at least acoording to Dee Dee!) Sid started wearing a leather jacket because of the Ramones, and Sid carried the same kind of knife that Dee Dee gave to Stiv Bators after a show (Sid was there when Dee Dee gave the knife to Stiv). In Dee Dee's autobiography he tells a disgusting yet funny story about being with Sid when Sid shot up in a men's room, and used some water from a stopped up used and abused toilet in the syringe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-07 06:45 by Keefan.

Date: February 7, 2011 09:56

Keefan
Nikolai
Title5Take1

Speaking of Dee Dee, he was one of Sid's hereos (at least acoording to Dee Dee!) Sid started wearing a leather jacket because of the Ramones, and Sid carried the same kind of knife that Dee Dee gave to Stiv Bators after a show (Sid was there when Dee Dee gave the knife to Stiv). In Dee Dee's autobiography he tells a disgusting yet funny story about being with Sid when Sid shot up in a men's room, and used some water from a stopped up used and abused toilet in the syringe.

Sid was obsessed with Dee Dee. He wore his bass low because Dee Dee did (as did Peter Hook). Dee Dee also used to wear a padlock chain. I've read that either he gave his to Sid, or Chrissie Hynde bought Sid one exactly like it.

Sid

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: February 7, 2011 19:43

Inspired by this thread I just played Never Mind The Bollocks at full blast for the first time in a year or so its still one of the greatest records ever made 34 years later, vinyl dynamite.tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: February 7, 2011 20:40

humanriff77
Inspired by this thread I just played Never Mind The Bollocks at full blast for the first time in a year or so its still one of the greatest records ever made 34 years later, vinyl dynamite.tongue sticking out smiley

Its one of my all time favorite rock 'n' roll albums - one of the purest distillations of the rock 'n' roll spirit IMO.

People always think of Johnny Rotten and Sid first when they think of the Pistols, but I think it was really Steve Jones and Paul Cook that made them a great band. They were SUPER tight & SOLID.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: February 7, 2011 20:47

gee, how ironic. this is a thread about punk music and the punk lifestyle and yet someone gets insulted by a single word and they feel the need to cry to the administrator. get tough! sticks and stones, remember?

Date: February 7, 2011 21:00

ineedadrink
gee, how ironic. this is a thread about punk music and the punk lifestyle and yet someone gets insulted by a single word and they feel the need to cry to the administrator. get tough! sticks and stones, remember?

It's obviously not the "single word", and I never liked the punk culture anyway. I liked the music at the time, I even got three Sex Pistols singles, but I don't think they were that great as they are made to believe here. I don't think the Beatles were that great either, and I am surprised that anyone would think that reason enough to insult others; sorry to awake you from your idol dreams.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-07 21:08 by lsbz.

Re: Sid Vicious died 32 years ago today.
Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 8, 2011 06:25

Silver Dagger
I first met Sid on a night when students at my college - Kingsway-Princeton - overtook the place in a demonstration against education cuts.

There was a knock on the door outside and it was this guy all dressed in black who asked me if 'John' was around. I hadn't the faintest idea who he met but invited him in and we sat down and talked - mainly about music. He mentioned liking some of the bands that I was into at the time like The Pink Fairies, Hawkwind,Roxy Music, Alice Cooper, The Stones and most importantly Syd Barrett from whence he got his name. I thought he was an interesting guy. Half an hour later he went off to find his friend John who I know now was John Lydon - a guy I used to see stalking the college corridors with long dyed henna hair and a badge bearing the legend 'In Search Of Eddie Riff'. That was the name of an album by Roxy Music sax and oboe player Andy Mackay.

As I said, over time we became mates and hung out together but bad blood brewed after he took a shine to my girlfriend.
He moved into a squat with my best friend and I used to see him whenever I went up there but by this time he was starting to get into bad habits, inspired by his other hero Keef.
I remember a few occasions where he was so strung out that he would come to college on the coldest winter's day in just a string vest.

In the next year of college I returned late only to find that my place in cinema studies was taken by him. He was never Sid to me, always Spiky John because of his hair. The Sid name really only came about in mid 76 after he styarted hanging about at Sex on the the Kings Road.

Thanks so much for posting this. It's great getting some insight that's not sensationalized or tacked on to an agenda.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: February 8, 2011 18:44

Punk changed the music scene, that's a fact!, without punk no new wave, without punk, no grunge, no Nirvana, no Foo Fighters, no Green day, no Pearl jam, no Some Girls,no Mick wearing a destroy t- shirt...

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1903
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home