Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Taylor present at Satanic Majesties sessions?
Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: January 28, 2011 11:13

In Martin Elliott's "Complete Sessions" book he states that Mick Taylor was present at some of the Satanic sessions (but did not play). I always thought Taylor's famous Let It Bleed audition was the first time he had been in the studio with them. It must be said Elliott's book is very good but is riddled with mistakes, and maybe this is one of them... Does anyone know more to the story? Did Taylor visit The Stones in the studio during the Satanic sessions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-28 11:17 by bolexman.

Re: Mick Taylor present at Satanic Sessions?
Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: January 28, 2011 11:16

And here I thought that Taylor had been sacrificing chickens and goats to the satan in order to get that guitar tone of his

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-28 11:17 by stones_serb.

Re: Mick Taylor present at Satanic Majesties sessions?
Date: January 28, 2011 11:20

He bought a guitar from Keith a couple of years before he joined the band, didn't he? Could be around that time.

Date: January 28, 2011 11:21

Have fixed the heading smiling smiley If he was at the sessions, I wonder what was he doing there? It changes some things a bit. ... Ahhh, thanks Dandelion, I did not know that Taylor bought a guitar from Keith. I'm learning something new everyday!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-28 11:22 by bolexman.

Date: January 28, 2011 11:26

I don't know for sure it was around that time, though smiling smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 28, 2011 12:04

DandelionPowderman
He bought a guitar from Keith a couple of years before he joined the band, didn't he? Could be around that time.

He He Really? I love storytellings like this one...and George Harrisons 'Guild' is on the frontcover to Dylans 'Nashville skyline'..together with Mr Dylan of course..smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 28, 2011 12:27

Come On
DandelionPowderman

He He Really? I love storytellings like this one...and George Harrisons 'Guild' is on the frontcover to Dylans 'Nashville skyline'..together with Mr Dylan of course..smoking smiley

Other way around, Bob gave George the guitar when George stayed with him for awhile in 1968. It's a Gibson J200 which George went on to used on Long, Long, Long, For You Blue etc.

Martin's book has quite a few myths, exaggerations and total untruths.

Taylor visited Olympic briefly to buy Keith's les Paul but he only met Stu when he bought the guitar, not the other stones.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-28 12:36 by His Majesty.

Date: January 28, 2011 12:46

Thanks HisMajesty. Whereabouts was this Taylor/Stu/Olympic occasion documented, is there a book or interview that cites it? I'm surprised I haven't head more about it

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: January 28, 2011 12:49

He could have just popped in the studio to say hi ... it doesn't sound that bizarre to me

Date: January 28, 2011 12:54

Taylor himself has told the story, he bought the guitar from Stu, no popping in to say hi or anything.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 28, 2011 13:17

His Majesty
Taylor himself has told the story, he bought the guitar from Stu, no popping in to say hi or anything.

Taylor stated that he only met Jagger briefly before he met the band at the 'audition'.

Mathijs

Date: January 28, 2011 13:23

Mathijs
His Majesty

Taylor stated that he only met Jagger briefly before he met the band at the 'audition'.

Mathijs

Which confirms that Elliott is exaggerating.

Date: January 28, 2011 13:31

Elliott doesn't cite a source for this anecdote, which is a shame. The passage from the book occurs during a discussion of the song "2000 Man" and says:

"Mick Taylor, who played with Jon Mayall's Bluesbreakers, witnessed some of the 'Satanic' sessions and became aware of the friendly rivalry between the Stones and The Beatles..."

Date: January 28, 2011 18:03

Nonsense! grinning smiley

Date: January 28, 2011 18:08

Maybe his face is hidden in the 3-D cover?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1396
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home