Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: great live footage of 1964
Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: January 27, 2011 23:32

Superb it is!

What we need is a DVD box of all available live recordings from the Brian era...smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 27, 2011 23:48

Watch at approx. the 2:44 mark. The guy with dark hair and a white shirt in the
lower right corner flips the bird and is extremely amused with himself!! Guess that got right by the censors cause you KNOW that would have been removed in the 60s!!

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: January 27, 2011 23:50

Magnificent. Never watched the whole thing before. Definately Keith on all the lead parts.

I know Keith paints the Jones-years as a dual-guitar weaving thing but Brian did play mostly rhythm, except the slide stuff of course. The rhythm parts for each player were usually different and complimented each other, and I think that's what Keith is getting at. He says it's the same thing he does with Ronnie but it's not. What he does with Ronnie is much more improvisational.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: January 28, 2011 04:21

Tumblin_Dice_07
I know Keith paints the Jones-years as a dual-guitar weaving thing but Brian did play mostly rhythm, except the slide stuff of course. The rhythm parts for each player were usually different and complimented each other, and I think that's what Keith is getting at.

Brian did play a lot of lead guitar parts such as on The Last Time, Cloud, Mercy, Mercy, etc., but he didn't do standard guitar solos (which was Keith's realm). Brian himself was quoted saying he didn't play a whole lot of rhythm guitar.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 28, 2011 05:38

I still say Keith was interviewed during the '81 tour and cackled about doing Brian's solo every night on Time Is On My Side. The two videos I know of for TIOMS are from the T.A.M.I. show and Ed Sullivan. On both of those videos the camera cuts away and we never get to see who is playing lead. I swear that on the T.A.M.I. version, which goes in on a shoulders and head shot of Brian, it looks like he's playing the lead and is extremely satisfied with himself. I would appreciate it if someone else could post a video of TIOMS (from 1964) that shows Brian or Keith playing the lead.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 28, 2011 10:26

Looks like Billy boy ran a bass cab on each side of the stage

Date: January 28, 2011 11:26

neptune
Tumblin_Dice_07
I know Keith paints the Jones-years as a dual-guitar weaving thing but Brian did play mostly rhythm, except the slide stuff of course. The rhythm parts for each player were usually different and complimented each other, and I think that's what Keith is getting at.

Brian did play a lot of lead guitar parts such as on The Last Time, Cloud, Mercy, Mercy, etc., but he didn't do standard guitar solos (which was Keith's realm). Brian himself was quoted saying he didn't play a whole lot of rhythm guitar.

Cloud?

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: January 28, 2011 13:02

Thats how they were when I first saw them and from then on they would not leave me. I was allready hooked on Stones but that first concert left me dumbfounded.Till this day I never want to see them otherwise.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 28, 2011 13:04

24FPS
I still say Keith was interviewed during the '81 tour and cackled about doing Brian's solo every night on Time Is On My Side. The two videos I know of for TIOMS are from the T.A.M.I. show and Ed Sullivan. On both of those videos the camera cuts away and we never get to see who is playing lead. I swear that on the T.A.M.I. version, which goes in on a shoulders and head shot of Brian, it looks like he's playing the lead and is extremely satisfied with himself. I would appreciate it if someone else could post a video of TIOMS (from 1964) that shows Brian or Keith playing the lead.

Maybe he got things mixed up, forgot he was the one who played the solo's back in the 60's and/ or the interviewer mis quoted him.

Brian did not play those TIOMS solo's. His part consisted of barred chords and he picked up and down the strings. Keith strummed the chords and played the solo's, Brian kept playing his part the same whilst Keith solo'd.

Date: January 28, 2011 13:09

terraplane
Looks like Billy boy ran a bass cab on each side of the stage

Yup, during this time he used a Vox AC100 running two 50 watt Vox Foundation Bass cabs with an 18" speaker in each cab. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-28 13:10 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 28, 2011 13:11

As far as I am aware the only solo's played by Brian are slide solo's, with I Wanna Be You Man as his only 'real' lead.

On Mercy, Cloud, Last Time etc. Brian played the main theme, which technically is not 'lead' guitar.

And someone mentioned that the Brian Jones era is 'so underrated' -well, they made it to become the second biggest band in the world by '66...I wouldn't call that underrated!

Mathijs

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 28, 2011 13:31

They're underrated by later generations of fans because there isn't enough evidence around for how good they were live in Brian's day - so many of the filmed "performances" were mimed, and so few of the concerts were recorded. But I'm so glad that this one has survived complete and in good quality to prove that there was a good reason why they were superstars when I was a teenager. This is the band I fell in love with.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: January 28, 2011 16:19

Too true Green Lady, too true.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 28, 2011 18:13

Green Lady
They're underrated by later generations of fans because there isn't enough evidence around for how good they were live in Brian's day - so many of the filmed "performances" were mimed, and so few of the concerts were recorded. But I'm so glad that this one has survived complete and in good quality to prove that there was a good reason why they were superstars when I was a teenager. This is the band I fell in love with.

right--thanks to the emergence of MTV and the Stones' (temporary) return to relevance in the late '70s-early '80s, and also the rise of cable TV, where Let's Spend the Night Together was broadcast frequently in the early '80s, younger casual and non-fans probably think of that era first for visuals of the group, even if the first song they think of is still "Satisfaction." Add in the SNL appearance too. It's a shame, really.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: January 29, 2011 00:33

neptune
Tumblin_Dice_07

Yeah but as (I think) Mathijs said, the parts Brian played on those songs aren't exactly solo's. You may or may not consider them "lead" guitar parts. Brian might have played the riff on "The Last Time" but Keith played the solo and I'd have to go back and listen to "Mercy, Mercy" again but I can't imagine Brian playing lead on that although he might have had a riff that served a purpose similar to the riffs he played in "The Last Time" or "Get Off Of My Cloud".

He may very well have said that he didn't play much rhythm guitar, but that doesn't make me believe it. From everything I've seen and heard, Brian played alot more rhythm while Keith handled most of the leads during those years.

Date: January 29, 2011 01:19

Brian played the repetitive motif on Mercy, Mercy.

I wonder why Brian never played non slide solo's on guitar. Did he have no interest in playing like that? Was he able to play like that?

It's quite odd imo, there were many chances for him to take a solo, ie tracks where he's playing the motif like on The Last Time instead of just playing the same thing whilst Keith solo's.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: January 29, 2011 03:59

Check 14:25 out of 14:27. Brian with his hand up to his ear showing his pinky ring on - mascara perfect and Mick pleased in the other direction. Greatest shot of those two together.

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: January 29, 2011 04:30

Mathijs
And someone mentioned that the Brian Jones era is 'so underrated' -well, they made it to become the second biggest band in the world by '66...I wouldn't call that underrated!

Underrated in the perception of many people, including probably the Stones. They seem to be much more positive about Mick Taylor as a musician. I think that rhythm guitarists often are underrated anyway, and Brian Jones was discredited for reasons other than musical ones too. They often seem to mix that up.

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: January 29, 2011 05:15

rootsman
Superb it is!

What we need is a DVD box of all available live recordings from the Brian era...smiling bouncing smiley

I'd definitely go for this!! smileys with beer

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: January 29, 2011 07:06

Brue
24FPS
Buy the DVD and you get the whole performance, plus James Brown, Chuck Berry, Lesley Gore and more. Whenever I watch it I notice they don't even show Bill until the 2nd number. And then during 'Time Is On My Side' they cut completely away from Brian's hands during the whole solo, leaving the question of whether he did indeed do it. (I think he did). Brian's ryhthm playing on 'Off The Hook' is kind of groovy too. It's almost like getting an entire Stones appearance from that era. The most they used to do was 8 songs.

I think I will. I've seen low-rent versions, but it's time for the re-master in its entirety.

I just got the new remastered TAMI show dvd a couple months ago, and that was the first time I'd ever seen it. I can't recommend it highly enough, its friggin' GREAT, very entertaining all around. Easily the best footage I've ever seen of the Brian Jones-era Stones.

Aside from the Stones and James Brown, I was knocked out by how good Marvin Gay's performance in it was...outstanding!

Date: January 29, 2011 07:08

I still contend that Brian played the lead on 'Time' until there is evidence otherwise.

Date: January 29, 2011 07:42

24FPS
I still contend that Brian played the lead on 'Time' until there is evidence otherwise.

lol... what's the evidence for?

Date: January 29, 2011 08:32

Lo siento cc, no comprende 'what's the evidence for?

Date: January 29, 2011 17:10

I mean, is there any evidence that he did, vs. the several opinions that he did not. I think I recall you testifying to your memory of a clip or a statement, but no one else has seen this...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 29, 2011 18:29

I always assumed that Keith played it and will accept that until proven otherwise I think BUT it is odd that neither ones hands are shown during this part and Brian is making very animated facial expressions like someone posing?
I also wondered if there's a possibility that any lead parts were overdubbed later before release? Thats just a thought,nothing else!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 29, 2011 18:54

Tumblin_Dice_07
Magnificent. Never watched the whole thing before. Definately Keith on all the lead parts.

I know Keith paints the Jones-years as a dual-guitar weaving thing but Brian did play mostly rhythm, except the slide stuff of course. The rhythm parts for each player were usually different and complimented each other, and I think that's what Keith is getting at. He says it's the same thing he does with Ronnie but it's not. What he does with Ronnie is much more improvisational.

Yeah but I hear it on some songs, very close interplay, and I believe Keith also includes the very very early years.

Date: January 29, 2011 19:20

24FPS

During the solo Brian keeps playing the same kind of thing he's played throughout the song though, his part continues along the same lines. Keith's strumming chords part stops when the solo comes in simply because he's playing the solos.

The difference in guitar tones also tells us Keith is playing the solo. keith's les paul sounds nothing like Brian's Vox. The sound of the soloing guitar is the same as that on Around and Around, Off the Hook etc... Keith played the solo on TIOMS.

Maybe you want it to be Brian and this is clouding your judgment!? grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-29 19:30 by His Majesty.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: January 29, 2011 19:39

Great footage. I see Keith posturing and having a good time on the stage.

Why do some fans object to his moving around on stage now? No one has ever given me a good answer to that one.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 29, 2011 19:48

why no footage from the 68 poll winners show? was it filmed?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 29, 2011 21:28

flilflam
Great footage. I see Keith posturing and having a good time on the stage.

Why do some fans object to his moving around on stage now? No one has ever given me a good answer to that one.

It looks silly and many fans prefer him focusing on playing guitar like in the 70s. His movements were natural then and now they seem forced and stupid like he has to compete with Mick.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1386
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home