Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Glastonbury was great but...
Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 3, 2013 15:18

The Rolling Stones performance at Glastonbury last week was great. Everybody from press to TV viewers to festival goers say it was so great. But how about those 18 arena shows they did in America this summer? They were great too!!!

They have been at this great level all summer. Well not on TV but still, this is the Stones anno 2013 as they are live on stage. Not through youtube videos, but right into your face and ears in high res quality. They did not re-invent the wheel at Glastonbury. They did what they have been doing for a long time, and they will do it again at Hyde Park now, two times.

That is my message to those who constantly complain about the setlists...

Bjornulf

Re: Glastonbury was great but...
Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: July 3, 2013 15:35

Thanks for making this point, BV.

Casual Stones fans who attended US shows with me were expecting an aging band with the typical crowd-pleasing setlist. They went home totally impressed with the quality of the performance and the new energy brought to the somewhat standard setlist, not to mention the return of Mick T. It was not unlike the reaction that people had after seeing Glastonbury. Holy sh*t, these guys are amazing in concert and have become a global cultural treasure.

The US audiences were similary enthusiastic, and having the tongue pit provided some of that standing room excitement that was obviously amplified a thousandfold at Glastonbury.

Can't wait for the Hyde Park shows to further convince the skeptics. But you need to be there, not judge from videos.

HBK

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 3, 2013 15:40

Has there ever been a bad Stones-day in BV-land?

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: July 3, 2013 15:42

Ah yes the day will come: everyone agrees that with just 1 setlist every show was as great as the other...

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: July 3, 2013 15:50

Absolute nonsense. All the shows were not the same. The second Philly show achieved a higher plain of consciousness than the 1st show. Can't You Hear Me Knocking was sophisticated artistry. Not simply an admirable, workmanlike, mistake free performance, but something heroic, subtle and transcendent.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 3, 2013 15:53

shawnriffhard1

something heroic, subtle and transcendent.

Wow! Mick J. izzat you?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 3, 2013 15:53

Do I spot an ounce of critisism in BV's post?

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 3, 2013 16:14

Well I hate to disagree with BV and I am basing my opinion on mostly UTUBES, 3 live shows and TV, what happened in Glastonburry was a step up, an historic moment in rock, like Jimi at Woodstock or The Beatles at Shea. Amazingly it took 50 years for The Stones to have their defining moment in concert but there it was, age defying, balls out and chillingly genuine. While I have not heard every J.J.F. they ever played I will go out on a limb and say Saturday's was the greatest performance of that warhorse, ever!

Date: July 3, 2013 16:47

bv
The Rolling Stones performance at Glastonbury last week was great. Everybody from press to TV viewers to festival goers say it was so great. But how about those 18 arena shows they did in America this summer? They were great too!!!

They have been at this great level all summer. Well not on TV but still, this is the Stones anno 2013 as they are live on stage. Not through youtube videos, but right into your face and ears in high res quality. They did not re-invent the wheel at Glastonbury. They did what they have been doing for a long time, and they will do it again at Hyde Park now, two times.

What is this, Bjornulf? Everybody say it was so great. Well I did and I didn't. Both very clearly. I said about Glastonbury Girl ...so lovely to have the idea...that's what it's all about; having the idea, writing it and doing it. That's the energy and dynamics I like so much about this guy. He still got it! That gave me tears of pure joy...great fun!

But I also said, as a reaction to StonedInTokyo's
"It easily ranks as the best performance of the 2012-13 era and possibly among their Top 5 best performances over the past 25 years.:"

Absolutely not!
After Echoplex I saw the first 7 shows in the US and 3 of them are better; 2nd Staples, San Jose and Anaheim 2nd.
The excitement was very nice this time, the total experience was great even watching it simultaneously on my big screen with good sound over the stereo. Choice of songs surprised with Factory Girl and 2000 Light Years From Home but...that's 2 songs. Nice they did CYHMK but we could expect that.
They f.cked up MR when compared to the US shows and SMU, TD & BS were trainwrecks...BS got better as did Satisfaction but that one wasn't 'good' also...SFTD was all Chuck & DJ & CW... Doing a few good licks doesn't make a great performance to me.
Would love to hear the first half because two of my children were there and called me today saying the second half was better... just want to check their ears and RS education..confused smiley

Is that still allowed or...? I don't like your expression "That is my message to those who constantly complain about the setlists..."
The word complain...why use that? Why do you give people a black hat who just don't have the same opinion as you regarding the setlists? What kind of message is that? Don't even help to create a climate like that.

Don't get me wrong; you have the best website-forum there is regarding the RS... for which you deserve credit and when you need it I will help you.
But it's the diversity of opinions that maintains it's quality: we agree to disagree.

Whining about whiners and complaining about complainers; where is a leader leading to when he's doing that?
I hope you can add some nuance to your post; maybe it got lost in your translation...

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: July 3, 2013 16:47

But I'd rather read the Glastonbury reviews (both here and in the papers) than those of the US tour which often talked about expensive tickets and empty seats. I know some people don't mind if the venue is half empty or not because of that..I do. Anyway...
Glastonbury made me happy and a little bit proud to be a Stones fan....and I feel very lucky that I was part of all that despite the fact that I didn't see much except the screen

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 3, 2013 16:59

I'm a hardcore fan and I was at Barclay's in relatively great seats and I think they have come a long way since then. (We also didn't get Taylor at that show, which kinda sucked.) I've compared the PPV show with the BBC footage and to me they have definitely upped their game, which is to be expected. Seeing them in the Pit every show would no doubt give one a skewed perspective to the positive.

BV, thanks for this great site. Glad you're living the Stones dream!

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: July 3, 2013 17:01

bv

BV, agree 100% with you!

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: July 3, 2013 17:11

BV I agree with you. I saw 5 shows in the US on this tour. I enjoyed them all. Again lets hope that all of us are healthy enough at the age of 70 to listen to great rock and roll let alone play in front of thousands of people. all of you critics with set lists and so-called train wrecks, its not 1972 anymore. sit back and listen to the music, we are all open to criticsism. Just chill.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 3, 2013 17:15

Dreamer
bv

What is this, Bjornulf? Everybody say it was so great. Well I did and I didn't. Both very clearly. I said about Glastonbury Girl ...so lovely to have the idea...that's what it's all about; having the idea, writing it and doing it. That's the energy and dynamics I like so much about this guy. He still got it! That gave me tears of pure joy...great fun!

"It easily ranks as the best performance of the 2012-13 era and possibly among their Top 5 best performances over the past 25 years.:"

Absolutely not!
After Echoplex I saw the first 7 shows in the US and 3 of them are better; 2nd Staples, San Jose and Anaheim 2nd.
The excitement was very nice this time, the total experience was great even watching it simultaneously on my big screen with good sound over the stereo. Choice of songs surprised with Factory Girl and 2000 Light Years From Home but...that's 2 songs. Nice they did CYHMK but we could expect that.
They f.cked up MR when compared to the US shows and SMU, TD & BS were trainwrecks...BS got better as did Satisfaction but that one wasn't 'good' also...SFTD was all Chuck & DJ & CW... Doing a few good licks doesn't make a great performance to me.
Would love to hear the first half because two of my children were there and called me today saying the second half was better... just want to check their ears and RS education..confused smiley

Is that still allowed or...? I don't like your expression "That is my message to those who constantly complain about the setlists..."
The word complain...why use that? Why do you give people a black hat who just don't have the same opinion as you regarding the setlists? What kind of message is that? Don't even help to create a climate like that.

Don't get me wrong; you have the best website-forum there is regarding the RS... for which you deserve credit and when you need it I will help you.
But it's the diversity of opinions that maintains it's quality: we agree to disagree.

Whining about whiners and complaining about complainers; where is a leader leading to when he's doing that?
I hope you can add some nuance to your post; maybe it got lost in your translation...
Glastonburry had little to do with the marks they missed or mistakes they made. It was pure energy, a night that shook the earth. They make mistakes every night, every song, it's silly to evaluate this event on those terms. This was a night that proved to the music world no one can touch this band. I saw an interview where a kid announced, "Better Than Metallica, best band I ever saw.", now a new generation has learned what we knew, they have witnessed what a great concert experience is. Just as this band was dangerous for their age in the 1960's these geezers today defy all boundaries.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-03 17:17 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 3, 2013 17:16

Excellent point(s) and couldn't agree more.

Glastonbury had an added "satisfaction" for the band and their fans, because
of the venue and the anticipation, but the rest is indeed hat they've been doing a long time.

Great tour.

Next.
And Counting....

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: July 3, 2013 17:36

MisterDDDD
Excellent point(s) and couldn't agree more.

Glastonbury had an added "satisfaction" for the band and their fans, because
of the venue and the anticipation, but the rest is indeed hat they've been doing a long time.

Great tour.

Next.
And Counting....[/quote

ditto

Date: July 3, 2013 17:40

DoomandGloom
Dreamer
bv

Absolutely not!

Glastonburry had little to do with the marks they missed or mistakes they made. It was pure energy, a night that shook the earth. They make mistakes every night, every song, it's silly to evaluate this event on those terms. This was a night that proved to the music world no one can touch this band. I saw an interview where a kid announced, "Better Than Metallica, best band I ever saw.", now a new generation has learned what we knew, they have witnessed what a great concert experience is. Just as this band was dangerous for their age in the 1960's these geezers today defy all boundaries.

Yes DoomandGloom...It was pure energy, a night that shook the earth.
I said something like that with my "The excitement was very nice this time, the total experience was great even watching it simultaneously on my big screen with good sound over the stereo. Choice of songs surprised with Factory Girl and 2000 Light Years From Home..."
After that followed with But...with my remarks about how SMU was a trainwreck imo...and that's what my reaction to bv is about; diversity in opinions is what this forum makes a very good forum and certainly as the founder / leader he should not start a crusade to people who have other opinions than him about setlists...or about ticketprices, about Chuck, Mick Taylor, Brian, Lisa, KR, MJ and so on...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 3, 2013 17:50

Calm down Dreamer, I don't think BV is starting a crusade against anyone, simply stating his opinion, like many others do here.

The consensus here is that Glastonbury was a special night for the Stones, unique for the band's performance, the setting, the audience, the media coverage, on and on...

In any case, his comment was directed to the setlist complainers, and I happen to agree with him there.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 3, 2013 18:14

bv

Yeah, but the crowds in the USA were not as great as Glastonbury.
Wait till you see the people at the Ziggodome Amsterdam. .
Jeroen

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 3, 2013 18:20

deleted

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: July 3, 2013 18:26

It's always possible to have a positive outlook when you were in the pit every night of the tour, find yourself in a rehearsal or at the Echoplex. It pays to know people and I would be sitting on cloud nine too.

Date: July 3, 2013 18:44

latebloomer
Calm down Dreamer, I don't think BV is starting a crusade against anyone, simply stating his opinion, like many others do here.

The consensus here is that Glastonbury was a special night for the Stones, unique for the band's performance, the setting, the audience, the media coverage, on and on...

In any case, his comment was directed to the setlist complainers, and I happen to agree with him there.

Oh I agree you can choose another word for it sure.
But as long as the RS do what they do "complainers" keep "complaining" aka opinions will be made about whatever so if that's the problem eh, don't start a forum?
Regarding opinions that the setlists look a lot like each other; best solution is more diversity in setlists, which a lot of people more or less ask for by giving their opinion about the setlists that look a lot like each other...and that will stop when setlists no longer look like each other...or maybe not!

That is my message to those who constantly complain about the people with those other opinions...

So latebloomer; what's your favorite setlist? And why?
Wanna know mine? Paradiso 2nd night...23 songs without the warhorses and with just 500 people attending. Oh and with LARS played the first time...MJ & KR singing together on Connection...Still A Fool 2nd time played...
Diversity...in setlists and opinions.
smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-03 19:05 by Dreamer.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 3, 2013 18:47

The BAND at Glastonbury were amazing, going by the live stream. But the CROWD, while terrific, of course, always respond that way. (Check out any YouTube vids of other Glastonbury headliners.) They weren't going any more nuts than they do for many bands--thus, nothing historic about this, nor does there have to be. Just a great performance by a great band.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: July 3, 2013 18:48

Obviously, the Glastonbury crowd, the vibe, whatever else added to it put the whole thing ove the top.

I saw the Barclay's show (which exceeded expectations) and Philly 2 (which as everybody knows was a great show) and i have seen over 50 shows going back to 7/26/72. I did not think the Stones could do what they are doing. I didn't think Keith could come back and play like he is (not that he is Segovia or anything). They deserve tremendous acclaim for what they are accomplishing, against all odds. But I don't see what is wrong about lamenting that they don't vary the setlist more, stuff like that. Does every comment have to be 100% positive, or else it is complaining or whining? 95% positive is not enough? And do they not have off nights? Is every show the same? As people have pointed out, seeing ths show as an insider from the pit every night is perhaps not the best perspective.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 3, 2013 18:48

did the stones have the tongue pit at glastonbury?

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: July 3, 2013 18:51

I agree w/fathree...

Easy for BV to say..he seems to have all the time and money in the world to be in the pit for (nearly?) every show all over the world including rare club dates...no wonder he is in love with this tour. He is either quite independently wealthy or is content with spending all his savings following the band...that is his choice and I am quite happy to live through his adventures.

Part of being a major fan is being critical..it comes naturaly and from a place of love. We all love the Stones but even in their prime, they F U C K up A LOT! And we will be there to call them on it. They dont get a free pass on missed cues and crazy expensive ticket prices just because they have great songs and are now legends.

If all anyone said here was gushing fanboy stuff about how wonderful they are, it would be quite boring.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 3, 2013 19:16

Well, if we had the Internet in '69, '72, '75,'78 etc. there would be a LOT of setlist whining, as they played pretty much the same set every night. Everything was the same, right down to when Mick would jump on the giant phallus, etc. Only difference is a lot of the stuff was fresh.

Date: July 3, 2013 19:18

bleedingman
Well, if we had the Internet in '69, '72, '75,'78 etc. there would be a LOT of setlist whining, as they played pretty much the same set every night. Everything was the same, right down to when Mick would jump on the giant phallus, etc. Only difference is a lot of the stuff was fresh.

We did talk about it ...in the pub! And now we do the same here at this virtual pub. Like setlists, nothing changes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-03 19:19 by Dreamer.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 3, 2013 20:22

Apart from serious fans, many people in the UK were not even aware that the Stones had been on tour in the USA this spring, nor that Mick Taylor had rejoined them on stage. So the performance at Glastonbury came out of the blue - and all the more devastating for that.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 3, 2013 20:31

I think I can agree with BV's sentiments BUT...

Not everyone was there for the American tour. You simply can't tell by watching youtube clips.

For me the big surprise was seeing how much they have improved since last year at O2 and the PPV.

If they are truly playing this well every single night then these Hyde Park shows will be amazing.

Add to that the fact that Hyde Park is also a GA show so will have a high energy crowd and I just can't wait to be there. Roll on Saturday.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2256
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home