Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Adele - 21
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 26, 2011 23:33

But still, this is what I will be discussing on this board in 20 years time ..

2 1 2 0

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 26, 2011 23:36

OT: ?

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 26, 2011 23:43

"Not very many, I would say. But she badly lacks personality; it's a rare discrepancy. Maybe it has something to do with the general immaturity of the generations from the eighties onwards."

Oh I do love hearing from the critics corner??!

Adele is brimming with personality. You tube Chatty Man on Channel 4 then comment....

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: February 27, 2011 01:20

ablett
Adele is brimming with personality.

No, she isn't. She should grow up, get some experiences in real life, and stop doing the jazz circuit.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 27, 2011 01:25

IMO this is just another Amy Winehouse "Verschnitt" as we say in Germany. You better try Avril Lavigne, maybe for first listen the b-side/CD bonus track (on the reissue) "Alone". There's more Rolling Stones in this song that you'll ever will be able to imagine. At least more Rolling Stones-spirit than X-Tina has god (although I don't wanna say this is a bad singer). Sadly, her orginal 2007 "The Best Damn Thing" album was by far not as good as the first two; especially "Under My Skin" (2004), which has almost only classics on it IMO. The 4th one is supposed to be much better TBDT, although I don't really like the first single ("What The Hell").

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-27 01:32 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: February 27, 2011 02:08

Koen
Brue

Yeah that's pretty good. I would like to hear more.

Buy the CD thumbs up

I just might do that. I do these things legally.

Posted by: sirdoug ()
Date: February 27, 2011 02:15

Glad to finally see some love for Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings here. Their albums are great, but to totally appreciate them, you need to see them live. Nobody puts on a better show.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: February 27, 2011 09:04

lsbz
carlitosbaez
Too much American Idol, X factor or whatever, she´s a nice voice but c´mon!

Yes; reminds me of Katie Melua in that respect. They're talented enough, but they need to grow up and get better songs and musicians.

Yes, Adele has talent. However, the way she uses her voice is pretty much how pretty much all female artists tend to these days, which is disappointing, as is the choice and production values of her material. I have never really seen a strong resemblance to Katie Melua, mind. Katie has always been far more restrained and delicate when compared to the excesses of the American Idol/ X-Factor karaoke singers. Adele isn't quite as over the top as them, but she's heading that way at times. I find her very bland too at times. Amy Winehouse was the most talented new female artist in the last decade by far in my opinion. It's a pity her personal problems have affected the proficiency of her career.

Date: February 27, 2011 09:50

Edward Twining
However, the way she uses her voice is pretty much how pretty much all female artists tend to these days, which is disappointing, as is the choice and production values of her material.

Yes, but mostly she seems to be lacking a personality that suits her vocal abilities, that are quite good. It sort of feels like she had real life experiences in past lives, but forgot about them in this one.

Edward Twining
I have never really seen a strong resemblance to Katie Melua, mind.

Just quality wise. Adele is the best female singer that I have heard since Katie Melua. But both tend to be lazy; nor really with it. That's often the downside of virtuosity.

Date: February 27, 2011 13:47

"No, she isn't. She should grow up, get some experiences in real life, and stop doing the jazz circuit."

Lol, sorry, so what would you suggest at 21? Heroin addiction for a while, become a tibetan Monk? And I'm not aware that the up and coming arena tour is a 'Jazz' circuit? (Whats wrong with the 'jazz circuit' anyway oh great one??)

Posted by: boymacwerter ()
Date: February 27, 2011 14:04

I only like Norah Jones, Christina Aguilera, Beyonce and Alicia Keys and even they all bore me a little. The rest suck!

Date: February 27, 2011 14:08

ablett
"No, she isn't. She should grow up, get some experiences in real life, and stop doing the jazz circuit."

Lol, sorry, so what would you suggest at 21? Heroin addiction for a while, become a tibetan Monk?

Anything that makes her aware. Singing should be on life or death or it has no use.

ablett
And I'm not aware that the up and coming arena tour is a 'Jazz' circuit? (Whats wrong with the 'jazz circuit' anyway oh great one??)

I read about a performance at a jazz festival. Any singer who wants to be good should do rock/pop because there is more competition; the level is higher. And even if she would have success in that it would say very little nowadays. The best thing would be to find a good band but they hardly exist anymore.
She will get no respect from people who know is she continues this way.

Date: February 27, 2011 14:17

"She will get no respect from people who know is she continues this way."

I'm sure her record company are panicking at your words! Two top five albums and singles at the same time?

Blinding performance without any fanfare at the brits.

Taking america by storm.....

But I'm sure your 'advice' is welcome.....

("Singing should be on life or death or it has no use." - sentence of the week! You couldn't make it up!)

Date: February 27, 2011 14:29

ablett
"She will get no respect from people who know is she continues this way."

I'm sure her record company are panicking at your words! Two top five albums and singles at the same time?

I never cared for sales, nor will I ever. Many people at this board won't either. Maybe you should try to promote her somewhere else.

Date: February 27, 2011 15:09

Lol, superb, if it wasn't sunday afternoon and I had better things to do I'd argue it out with you but the dinner awaits....

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 28, 2011 00:45

Monsoon Ragoon
IMO this is just another Amy Winehouse "Verschnitt" as we say in Germany.

Never heard us say this in Germany...but you´re probably generalizing a popular
term used in your local pub...

Date: February 28, 2011 00:50

shortfatfanny
Monsoon Ragoon

[www.google.com]

240 results when I checked; seems fairly common.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 28, 2011 00:59

Somebody please explain to me what it means to "just keep chasing pavements"

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 28, 2011 01:02

lsbz
shortfatfanny
Monsoon Ragoon

[www.google.com]

[www.google.com]

Hey,you´ve checked all the 527 results and figured out about 240 of them
are referring to " Amy Winehouse Verschnitt "...?

But you both are correct,when I´m reading this term in context,I´ve to admit,it´s well known.
Fairly common might be a bit far fetched,but who cares...

My bad,sorry folks...

Date: February 28, 2011 01:10

shortfatfanny
lsbz
shortfatfanny
Monsoon Ragoon

[www.google.com]

[www.google.com]

The number of results can vary much at Google. Lats time I checked there were 603.

shortfatfanny
But you both are correct,when I´m reading this term in context,I´ve to admit,it´s well known.

You probably know better than me, because I'm not German. But this is only Verschnitt related to one singer, so I guessed it must be common to some extent.

Date: February 28, 2011 01:11

shortfatfanny
lsbz
shortfatfanny
Monsoon Ragoon

[www.google.com]

[www.google.com]

The number of results can vary much at Google. Last time I checked there were 603.

shortfatfanny

You probably know better than me, because I'm not German. But this is only Verschnitt related to one singer, so I guessed it must be common to some extent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-28 01:13 by lsbz.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 28, 2011 01:20

boymacwerter
She's got a very good voice, as have many others but these modern acts get way over hyped. The truth is their is not going to be another golden age of soul or Rock 'n' Roll or any of that stuff, these acts are not doing anything that is fresh/exciting/new and there are next to no great songwriters today, hence why she had to recycle an old Dylan song to get famous. In 20 years all these musical forms will be dead or dying and we will have to wait another 100 years for something new and interesting to come along in music.

Its not as if she covered 'Blowin' In The Wind'. Theres a sizeable % of Dylan fans who couldnt have even told you it was a Dylan song, and I doubt most of her audience were aware it was either.

Covering old songs at the start of their career didnt exactly do Dylan himself or the Stones for that matter any harm.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 28, 2011 06:49

What is it exactly that makes Amy Winehouse so special? I really fail to hear it. She sounds like a soul diva from the 60s and the songs are kindda mediocre.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: February 28, 2011 10:56

Adele is good. Checked her out now. Very promising indeed!

Speaking of good voices, check this out (a bit more modern, though):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-28 11:04 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 28, 2011 11:16

JumpingKentFlash
What is it exactly that makes Amy Winehouse so special? I really fail to hear it. She sounds like a soul diva from the 60s and the songs are kindda mediocre.

Speaking for myself, I don't like Amy Winehouse either. Probably even less talented than Adele. I just thought the conversation was very funny, so I checked it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-28 11:16 by lsbz.

Date: February 28, 2011 11:25

Isbbz, you seem to have a consistent opinion on this stuff. Give us some examples (modern) that are better then?

Date: February 28, 2011 11:36

ablett
Isbbz, you seem to have a consistent opinion on this stuff. Give us some examples (modern) that are better then?

My favorite female singers are Grace Slick, Nico, Karen Carpenter and Cher. No modern, sorry; pop/rock music appears to have collapsed in 1976 and has not recovered since.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-28 11:40 by lsbz.

Date: February 28, 2011 12:38

Priceless!! You either have that tongue firmly wedged in your cheek or your as mad as a box of frogs.....

Cher??????

Karen Carpenter????

""Adele She should grow up, get some experiences in real life, and stop doing the jazz circuit."

Did Cher ever grow up????

You couldn't make it up........ magic!

Date: February 28, 2011 12:43

ablett
Did Cher ever grow up????

I think she did. She made some great singles; that's all that counts. Chasing Pavements is nowhere near Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves.

Date: February 28, 2011 12:56

Lol, superb, you do brighten up a dull day at work.

Cher grow up? Isn't she still trotting round in her fishnets, with a face thats frozen in botox giving it her all in Vegas at 70?

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1513
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home