Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Do the KINKS care the most about their fans?
Date: June 6, 2013 06:36

for a band that was never as popular as they should have been they seem to get the fans all the material they can. every kinks album from 1964-1969 has been remastered and reissued in a 2 cd set, village green preservation society as a 3 cd set. everything from 1971-1984 has been remastered with bonus tracks. there is also the BBC box set, the picture book box set with unreleased stuff and a few dave davies releases that collected unreleased stuff.

Re: OT: Do the KINKS care the most about their fans?
Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 6, 2013 06:41

What a Kink's fan calls providing a good service to fan's, a Stone's fan calls greedy gouging.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 6, 2013 07:28

Well I think it is different from gouging. They have been doing some really good releases of Kinks material lately. Particularly the recent remastered deluxe discs of all their 60'a releases. But I also think a lot of this is the record companies, not so much The Kinks. If they really cared about their fans they would burry the hatchet, reform, record and tour! IT would be wonderful.

Date: June 6, 2013 07:54

whitem8
Well I think it is different from gouging. They have been doing some really good releases of Kinks material lately. Particularly the recent remastered deluxe discs of all their 60'a releases. But I also think a lot of this is the record companies, not so much The Kinks. If they really cared about their fans they would burry the hatchet, reform, record and tour! IT would be wonderful.

ray or dave or both i believe have had some input on these re-releases. i would love for them to reform and tour but lets just leave it in the past. the bowed out when it no longer became fun and they felt the creative juices were gone. ray has released a few albums and EPs and tours and dave has released 3 new studio albums and a handful of new songs on other releases. he also had a stroke that cut back his ability to tour

Date: June 6, 2013 07:55

jazzbass
What a Kink's fan calls providing a good service to fan's, a Stone's fan calls greedy gouging.

yet fans are clamoring for real outtakes and unreleased tracks and not old songs that mick went into the studio last year and dolled up

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 6, 2013 07:56

Ray's tours are also pretty great. Yes, its not the Kinks, but its pretty damn close. He usually has an excellent band, he sounds great, and aside from Dave not being there not many people would notice its not the Kinks. As a hardcore fan, obviously I want Mick Avory and John Dalton to be there, but since we don't have the Kinks, Ray is the next best thing. I highly recommend his shows, as well as his own solo albums. His debut was excellent.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 6, 2013 08:13

keefriffhard4life
whitem8

ray or dave or both i believe have had some input on these re-releases. i would love for them to reform and tour but lets just leave it in the past. the bowed out when it no longer became fun and they felt the creative juices were gone. ray has released a few albums and EPs and tours and dave has released 3 new studio albums and a handful of new songs on other releases. he also had a stroke that cut back his ability to tour

Yes, those deluxe re-releases were Ray's idea, something he had been planning for a long time, and I read an interview where he was discussing the work he was putting into going through the archives to compile outtakes for the deluxe editions. It's a pity that ABKCO owns the prime era of the Stones catalog, as Mick would likely have done the same by now with that segment of their back catalog.

Regarding the break-up of the Kinks in the 90s, it had nothing to do with the creative juices drying--both Ray and Dave but Ray especially is a compulsive workaholic. In the mid-90s Dave put out his version of Life, a brash, tell-all memoir called Kink that really got up the nose of his older brother.

You see, Ray shares certain traits with one Mick Jagger. Like Jagger, the heart of Ray Davies beats in English time, as a band front man he is a showman in the music hall tradition, and, most important, he likes to maintain an air of mystery and ambiguity around himself and the band he was fronting. As with Keith's Life, Dave's Kink brought an unsettling light of demystification to both his life and those around him as well as the band, and Ray was so taken aback that in 1995 he was heard to comment to those around him, "Have you read Dave's book? This could mean the end of The Kinks this year." Ray dissolved the band in 1996.

Ray's approach to autobiography was decidedly different; written himself in novel form, he creates a journalist character who comes to interview him in old age--Ray names himself "Raymond Douglas" in his fictional autobiography, and ever the ironically comic-tragedian, he actually kills himself off before the book ends, just kills himself off in his own autobiography.

The Kinks came close to reforming in 1998. Ray wanted to bring back original drummer Mic Avory, but Dave refused. It was Dave who pushed to have Avory fired from the band in the 1980s. When in recent years the brothers again discussed the prospect of reforming, the drummer issue was once again the sticking point. The Mic Avory issue continues to prevent it from happening. The brothers refuse to arrive at a compromise.

Date: June 6, 2013 08:29

i knew ray and dave and issues between them but i didn't know it was that bad.

also thank you for clearing up if the band members had input in the reissues. i thought i heard one of the davies brothers did but wasn't sure

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 6, 2013 08:34

keefriffhard4life
jazzbass

yet fans are clamoring for real outtakes and unreleased tracks and not old songs that mick went into the studio last year and dolled up

My man has a point.......

Posted by: 69firebird ()
Date: June 6, 2013 09:19

I am going to see Dave Davies Friday night.I am looking forward to seeing him
again,and haven't seen him since his stroke.

Date: June 6, 2013 09:38

i am trying to pick what i should blow some money on? the picture book box set or a few early albums in the 2 cd deluxe editions

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 6, 2013 09:53

keefriffhard4life
i am trying to pick what i should blow some money on? the picture book box set or a few early albums in the 2 cd deluxe editions

Village Green as a three cd set would be worth investing in, ditto Arthur as a two cd set.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 6, 2013 15:06

69firebird
I am going to see Dave Davies Friday night.I am looking forward to seeing him
again,and haven't seen him since his stroke.

I saw Dave at a (packed) free show he did in City Winery's parking lot this past Tuesday. I left after 4 songs. The best I can say is that he is still alive and able to play the guitar, an ability he lost after the stroke. He also did 3 nights at the Winery proper last week. There was lots of love for Dave, I will say that, and he's gotten very favorable reviews so what do I know? There are youtube clips up if you want to get an idea. And you'll certainly be able to judge for yourself when you see him.

Date: June 6, 2013 15:17

2 cd deluxe editions of lola and muswell hillbillies due out soon

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: June 6, 2013 15:24

Oh...he can still play, but his singing has gotten AWFUL!!! NOT ONE SINGLE note fits!

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 6, 2013 15:28

New book from Ray in October: Americana: The Kinks, the Riff, the Road: A Memoir

"As a boy in post-War England, legendary Kinks' singer/songwriter Ray Davies fell in love with America—its movies and music, its culture of freedom, fed his imagination. Then, as part of the British Invasion, he toured the US with the Kinks during one of the most tumultuous eras in recent history—until the Kinks group was banned from performing there from 1965-69. Many tours and trips later, while living in New Orleans, he experienced a transformative event: the shooting (a result of a botched robbery) that nearly took his life. In Americana, Davies tries to make sense of his long love-hate relationship with the country that both inspired and frustrated him. From his quintessentially English perspective as a Kink, Davies—with candor, humor, and wit—takes us on a very personal road trip through his life and storied career as a rock star, and reveals what music, fame, and America really mean to him. Some of the most fascinating characters in recent pop culture make appearances, from the famous to the perhaps even-more-interesting behind-the-scenes players. The book also includes a photographic insert with images from Davies's own collection from the band's archive."

And available now:

Not from the Kinks themselves but of interest:

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-06 15:29 by bleedingman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1774
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home