Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones tracks minus Charlie on drums?
Posted by: belld ()
Date: January 16, 2011 22:02

Dirty Work.Sleep Tonight. Charlie late for recording and Ronnie playing drums. Ronnie handed over to Charlie and he refused and insisted Ronnie finish the track. Others?

Re: Stones tracks minus Charlie on drums?
Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: January 16, 2011 22:10

Happy. They started jamming in Keith's basement at Nellcote, and Charlie wasn't there, so Jimmy Miller filled in on drums. Bill Wyman wasn't there either, so Bobby Keys played the basslines on a baritone sax. (Keith overdubbed a bass part later).

Its Only Rock'n' Roll. Kenney Jones, of the Faces, on drums. Willie Weeks on bass. Rhythym tracks recorded in Ron Wood's basement, when he was still in the Faces.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-16 22:15 by Keefan.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 16, 2011 22:12

A couple of songs where Jimmy Miller plays drums and not Charlie: You Can't Always Get What You Want, Happy and Shine a Light.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: January 16, 2011 22:16

mtaylor
A couple of songs where Jimmy Miller plays drums and not Charlie: You Can't Always Get What You Want, Happy and Shine a Light.

I thought there were more that Jimmy Miller played on, but couldn't remember which ones. Thanks.

Date: January 16, 2011 22:18

Jimmy Miller plays partially on Tumbling Dice.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 16, 2011 22:19

It's either Charlie or Steve Jordan on Dirty Work, not Ronnie. Ronnie only played on Sleep Tonight as far as everything I've ever read.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: January 16, 2011 22:26

And there are tracks without drums, but with some percussion played by someone else. I think all the percussion on Gomper is by Brian and the congas on Factory Girl are by Rocky Dijon.

Plus some tracks don't have anyone on drums or other percussion: Play With Fire,
Lady Jane, As Tears Go By....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-16 22:28 by Squiggle.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 16, 2011 22:50

Kenney Jones on "It's Only Rock n Roll"

Date: January 16, 2011 22:55

skipstone
It's either Charlie or Steve Jordan on Dirty Work, not Ronnie. Ronnie only played on Sleep Tonight as far as everything I've ever read.
This is Ronnies own account explained on one of his recent shows on Absolute Rock Radio?

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: January 17, 2011 01:53

Squiggle
And there are tracks without drums, but with some percussion played by someone else. I think all the percussion on Gomper is by Brian and the congas on Factory Girl are by Rocky Dijon.

Plus some tracks don't have anyone on drums or other percussion: Play With Fire,

I seem to remember my UK version of "High Tide & Green Grass" there was a blurb in there where it said something about Charlie playing tamborine against someone's shoe(?) I'm presuming maybe PWF ... but could be wrong ...
----------------------------

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: January 17, 2011 03:14

Squiggle

There are no congas on Factory Girl, it's a tabla and it's played by Charlie.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 17, 2011 04:20

belld
Dirty Work.Sleep Tonight. Charlie late for recording and Ronnie playing drums. Ronnie handed over to Charlie and he refused and insisted Ronnie finish the track. Others?

An error in judgment on Charlie's part.

Date: January 17, 2011 04:38

belld
skipstone
This is Ronnies own account explained on one of his recent shows on Absolute Rock Radio?

Why would he say that now and not when he said he played on Sleep Tonight? And alluded to that being the only song he played drums on? Sleep Tonight is messy - Dirty Work is much tighter. No way that's Ronnie on drums! It's gotta be Jordan if it ain't Watts.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 17, 2011 04:53

Squiggle
And there are tracks without drums, but with some percussion played by someone else. I think all the percussion on Gomper is by Brian....

Brian was busy playing electric dulcimer and recorder on Gomper. Charlie plays tabla on the track.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: January 17, 2011 12:05

Oh, yes, of course, the Gomper credits have been sorted out.

About Factory Girl, Nico's site has Rocky on congas but Charlie on percussion; Keno just has Rocky on congas; timeisonourside has Charlie on tabla and the track talk here has Charlie on percussion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-17 12:16 by Squiggle.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 17, 2011 12:13

Charlie's not on Following the River.

Btw, there's more Wood on drums: What Am I Gonna Do With Your Love, Some of Us are on Our Knees and Invitation (with Don Covay), all from '85.

Mathijs

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 17, 2011 12:21

Sitting on a Fence has no drums

Date: January 17, 2011 12:24

belld

It's Charlie on Dirty Work. Ronnie himself stated (I read it somewhere) that he also played drums on Too Rude, but I'm not too sure about that. And he played on Sleep Tonight, of course.

Date: January 17, 2011 12:25

71Tele
belld

An error in judgment on Charlie's part.

You think so? The drums on Sleep Tonight are messy, but kinda charming, and suit the song, imo. There are also a few fills in there that sound great.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 17, 2011 12:43

Squiggle
Oh, yes, of course, the Gomper credits have been sorted out.

About Factory Girl, Nico's site has Rocky on congas but Charlie on percussion; Keno just has Rocky on congas; timeisonourside has Charlie on tabla and the track talk here has Charlie on percussion.

Charlie played tablas on Factory Girl, he even stated he played them with drum sticks. cool smiley

On Factory Girl, I was doing something you shouldn't do, which is playing the tabla with sticks instead of trying to get that sound using your hand, which Indian tabla players do, though it's an extremely difficult technique and painful if you're not trained.
- Charlie Watts, 2003

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-17 12:46 by His Majesty.

Date: January 17, 2011 13:08

skipstone
belld
skipstone

Why would he say that now and not when he said he played on Sleep Tonight? And alluded to that being the only song he played drums on? Sleep Tonight is messy - Dirty Work is much tighter. No way that's Ronnie on drums! It's gotta be Jordan if it ain't Watts.
Skipstone my original post names Dirty Work as the album on which Sleep Tonight is the track Ronnie stated he played with Charlies blessing. I did not mean Ronnie played drums on the Dirty Work track. Cheers

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 17, 2011 13:39

belld
skipstone
belld
skipstone

Skipstone my original post names Dirty Work as the album on which Sleep Tonight is the track Ronnie stated he played with Charlies blessing. I did not mean Ronnie played drums on the Dirty Work track. Cheers

ah...that's what i thought you meant.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 17, 2011 13:51

Does he play on Continental Drift?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 17, 2011 15:37

I thought they wiped Kenny Jones and had Charlie redo it. NO?

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: January 17, 2011 15:54

Charlie was replaced by thousands of screaming teenage girls on 'We Want the Stones'.

Date: January 17, 2011 16:48

Sorry belld - you said it like this - "Dirty Work.Sleep Tonight." and then at the end of the thread said "Others?". It wasn't clear that you meant the LP instead of the song...

Date: January 17, 2011 19:01

There are a few tracks where Mick and Ron play the initial drumming, but the final version is played by Charlie. Fx: You Don’t Have To Mean It.

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: vicdrow ()
Date: January 17, 2011 20:23

Mathijs
Mathijs

Mathijs, I hate to disturb but there's a question for you:
[www.iorr.org]

Thanks,

vic

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: January 17, 2011 22:37

Koen
Does he play on Continental Drift?

It sure sounds like him, but I suspect sampling/programming.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1670
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home