Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Robert Plant talking about the Stones..???
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 7, 2011 20:43

The Stones always have new music on each tour. The 40 licks tour even had DON'T STOP, a song I love. It infuriates me when great groups tour, often reuniting after years apart, and don't record new music (the Police, the Sex Pistols, the Who). I think it is such a wasted opportunity. So I admire the Stones for never doing that. (Of course when a band I hate like the dull-as-dish-water bland-as-sand Eagles recorded new music a few years ago for the first time in ages, I thought NOOOOO!)

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: January 7, 2011 20:44

Doc
I saw him several times on stage :
Big venues as Page / Plant
Smaller (if not tiny) places with his other bands

I have to admit that his Fate Of Nations Tour in 1993 was awesome, as was the 1998 Page/Plant Tour.

The rest is getting too much into World Music to fit my current taste.
Glad to have seen him, great each time, but no envy to see him again soon.
He isn't as dynamic as Mick Jagger, but he still has a certain charisma on stage.

Mick he is not. I went to a Plant solo show not too long ago. He sounded good and seemed to be really enjoying himself. His music got boring to listen to live though and the audience only perked up when he played zep tunes. What's funny is that a friend of mine that I went with is always mistaken for someone famous. Everyone thought he was Jimmy Page for some reason and he actually posed with people for pictures.....sooo....if you hear that Page was at Plant's solo show 6 months ago, he wasn't, it was a mistake in identity. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-07 20:51 by TrulyMicks.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 7, 2011 20:45

"Jealous and washed up"

Didn't his last venture do rather well commercially and critically?

Posted by: Corcovado ()
Date: January 7, 2011 21:00

StonesTod
Corcovado
Though being right, Bob himself is trying to be an artist in an absolutely wrong kind of bizniz - and that is indeed a much more serious kind of self embarassement.

i read this three times and now need a tylenol....

Some guys are wise, some are otherwise... Tod, I always thought you were into laxatives, what happened? smileys with beer

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 7, 2011 21:16

Corcovado
StonesTod
Corcovado
Though being right, Bob himself is trying to be an artist in an absolutely wrong kind of bizniz - and that is indeed a much more serious kind of self embarassement.

i read this three times and now need a tylenol....

Some guys are wise, some are otherwise... Tod, I always thought you were into laxatives, what happened? smileys with beer

or otherwise-wise (the apartment reference). i was into them, but decided that was the easy way out....

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: January 7, 2011 21:24

ablett
"Jealous and washed up"

Didn't his last venture do rather well commercially and critically?
winning a grammy for album of the year is only relevant and important if it's someone that you like that wins it tongue sticking out smiley

Date: January 7, 2011 21:28

i'm having trouble understanding what he is supposedly jealous about....he's doing what he wants, seems to be enjoying his artistic freedom....more or less what anyone in the biz would want, i think...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 7, 2011 21:32

StonesTod
i'm having trouble understanding what he is supposedly jealous about....he's doing what he wants, seems to be enjoying his artistic freedom....more or less what anyone in the biz would want, i think...

Putting his feet up for three years?

Date: January 7, 2011 21:35

Gazza
StonesTod

Putting his feet up for three years?

hey - these world tours take alot of our heroes. another year or two and they'll be back out there making poor mr. plant all envious again....

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: January 7, 2011 21:54

keefriffhard4life
crumbling_mice
I'm afraid Percy likes to think he recreates himself a' la Bowie. He does, to a point, but I've seen him both in Zeppelin the Honeydrippers, Priory of Brion, Band of Joy and Page and Plant and at every show since zeppelin he has played zeppelin numbers. He does sometimes re-work them but they are still the old classics. And he still parades about with long flowing locks and dresses as he did when in Zeppelin.

surprised no one called you out before. as a solo artist plant did not play any zeppelin numbers until i believe the now and zen tour so that makes at least 2 tours he did not play any zeppelin tunes

He did. The first band he formed after zeppelin - The HOneydrippers played some early zeppelin numbers at various gigs, as did all the rest of his solo ventures right up to his last tour with Alison Krauss

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 7, 2011 22:12

Here Plant says it exactly about Led Zep:

[g1.globo.com]

Somehow he says: It is a pain in the ass. "É um pé-no-saco, para ser honesto."

The article translated in goggle:
07/01/2011 17h04 - Updated 07/01/2011 17h04
'I can no longer associate myself with Led Zeppelin,' says Robert Plant
Singer says he got tired of requests from fans for a reunion with former band.
Group last met in London in November 2007.

Singer Robert Plant did not even seem more willing to relive the old days ahead of Led Zeppelin. In an interview with the American magazine Rolling Stone, the former lead singer of the band says it uncomfortable with the insistence of fans, who want the band reunited once more.

The last time this happened was on December 10, 2007, onstage at the O2 Arena in London for a show about 20,000 people.

"It was an incredible night for all who played and everything we were trying to capture. But (then) went so far in the other direction that can hardly associate me most is ... what a pain in the ass, to be honest. I know that people care, but think about it from my point of view. I will soon need help across the street, "the singer said the publication.

In September last year, Plant released "Band of Joy," praised the project which included musicians from country and folk Americans.

The American country music has been an important influence for the singer, who launched an award-winning bluegrass album with the singer Alison Krauss in 2007

As Keith also mentions in the videoe on page 1 in this thread: Jimmy Page WAS led Zeppelin and that's why Plant is not up to Led Zep anymore.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: January 7, 2011 22:19

I like Zep and quite a bit of Plant's solo stuff, yet all told, I think it a joke for that body of work to be compared in any way shape or form to the Stones' catalogue and achievements.

All the more reason for it to sting when he's out there working with serious talents (Krauss, Burnett, Miller, Griffin) and exploring the musical worlds that inspired him. Plant even backs it up by leaving the LZ reunion money sitting on the table.

Can you imagine how great it would be if the Stones were willing to risk market share by doing something as adventurous as Plant is? While re-thinking their catalogue? If "Rock'n'Roll" can be a swampy rockabilly shake, then how about a folk-blues "Sympathy" (as originally conceived) or a blistering "Still A Fool?"

We're all getting older--Plant's just chosen to make that interesting, rather than depressing.

Date: January 7, 2011 22:32

Rev. Robert W.
I like Zep and quite a bit of Plant's solo stuff, yet all told, I think it a joke for that body of work to be compared in any way shape or form to the Stones' catalogue and achievements.

All the more reason for it to sting when he's out there working with serious talents (Krauss, Burnett, Miller, Griffin) and exploring the musical worlds that inspired him. Plant even backs it up by leaving the LZ reunion money sitting on the table.

Can you imagine how great it would be if the Stones were willing to risk market share by doing something as adventurous as Plant is? While re-thinking their catalogue? If "Rock'n'Roll" can be a swampy rockabilly shake, then how about a folk-blues "Sympathy" (as originally conceived) or a blistering "Still A Fool?"

We're all getting older--Plant's just chosen to make that interesting, rather than depressing.

quite obviously the difference is that Robert actually enjoys being a musician, and although he likely enjoys the money it provides, he's not doing it just based on monetary calculations. jagger, clearly, has a different set of interests - doing something musically interesting and challenging isn't one of them....

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 7, 2011 23:09

Plant's recent albums are a shining example to all the old rockers out there that you don't have to keep on doing the same old four to the floor stadium rock. He's paired back his sound, like Neil Young, to let the music breathe. Wish The Stones would do the same.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: January 7, 2011 23:16

Neil Young? It's been YEARS since he released anything good.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 7, 2011 23:21

crumbling_mice
keefriffhard4life
crumbling_mice
I'm afraid Percy likes to think he recreates himself a' la Bowie. He does, to a point, but I've seen him both in Zeppelin the Honeydrippers, Priory of Brion, Band of Joy and Page and Plant and at every show since zeppelin he has played zeppelin numbers. He does sometimes re-work them but they are still the old classics. And he still parades about with long flowing locks and dresses as he did when in Zeppelin.

surprised no one called you out before. as a solo artist plant did not play any zeppelin numbers until i believe the now and zen tour so that makes at least 2 tours he did not play any zeppelin tunes

He did. The first band he formed after zeppelin - The HOneydrippers played some early zeppelin numbers at various gigs, as did all the rest of his solo ventures right up to his last tour with Alison Krauss

I'm not seeing many Zep tunes in this set (two?)..."Bring It On Home" and "How Many More Years" (Howlin' Wolf's original)...and this was a fairly typical set for the few shows the original Honeydrippers did in 1981 (I think he did "I Can't Quit You" occasionally as well). Whatever the case, not exactly a classic Zep-fest.

Robert Plant & The Honeydrippers
Blue Note Club, Derby, England
21 April 1981

01 - Little Sister
02 - Hey Man
03 - Lotta Lovin
04 - Your True Love
05 - Deep In The Heart Of Texas
06 - Honky Tonk
07 - How Many More Years
08 - Crosscut Saw
09 - Bring It On Home
10 - Just Can't Be Satisfied
11 - Sugar Coated Love
12 - Born Under A Bad Sign
13 - Keep On Loving Me
14 - What Can I Do
15 - Keep Your Love
16 - Queen Of The Hob
17 - She, She, Sheila
18 - Got My Mojo Working

And for the record, during his first solo tours in 1983 and 1985, he did not play any Zeppelin songs...not until the "Now and Zen Tour" in 1988.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 7, 2011 23:27

His voice is shot.

Date: January 7, 2011 23:42

Jah Paul
crumbling_mice
keefriffhard4life
crumbling_mice

I'm not seeing many Zep tunes in this set (two?)..."Bring It On Home" and "How Many More Years" (Howlin' Wolf's original)...and this was a fairly typical set for the few shows the original Honeydrippers did in 1981 (I think he did "I Can't Quit You" occasionally as well). Whatever the case, not exactly a classic Zep-fest.

21 April 1981

01 - Little Sister
02 - Hey Man
03 - Lotta Lovin
04 - Your True Love
06 - Honky Tonk
07 - How Many More Years
08 - Crosscut Saw
09 - Bring It On Home
11 - Sugar Coated Love
13 - Keep On Loving Me
14 - What Can I Do
15 - Keep Your Love
16 - Queen Of The Hob
17 - She, She, Sheila
18 - Got My Mojo Working

And for the record, during his first solo tours in 1983 and 1985, he did not play any Zeppelin songs...not until the "Now and Zen Tour" in 1988.

I wasn't saying he did zep 'classics' I was saying he did songs that he'd done with zep. It was more of a defence against what he was saying about bands like the stones.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 7, 2011 23:44

Who cares what Robert Plant thinks about anything? Not worth the ten seconds I took to type this.

Date: January 7, 2011 23:57

...and, if you look at song frequnecy of his solo shows over the years the most frequently played songs are; 6 of the top 12 songs are songs he played with zeppelin (all 6 page and plant songs) Admittedly the first 3 tours following the zep splt he tried to avoid page/plant authored songs, but following these tours (which weren't very lucrative and often in very small venues) he went bac to the zepp catalogue big time - this coincided with bigger venues and more lucrative tours.

The point being, he isnt really in a position to criticise bands like the stones and the whole zepp reunion gig pisses all over his own argument and despite being a tribute to A Ertegun, it was still him with page, JOnes and Bonhams son, playing classic zepp numbers and hopping around the stage as he did in the mid 1970's. Surely he could have changed the act a bit if he really felt the way he says he does...it would still have sold out etc.

Date: January 8, 2011 00:06

crumbling_mice
...and, if you look at song frequnecy of his solo shows over the years the most frequently played songs are; 6 of the top 12 songs are songs he played with zeppelin (all 6 page and plant songs) Admittedly the first 3 tours following the zep splt he tried to avoid page/plant authored songs, but following these tours (which weren't very lucrative and often in very small venues) he went bac to the zepp catalogue big time - this coincided with bigger venues and more lucrative tours.

The point being, he isnt really in a position to criticise bands like the stones and the whole zepp reunion gig pisses all over his own argument and despite being a tribute to A Ertegun, it was still him with page, JOnes and Bonhams son, playing classic zepp numbers and hopping around the stage as he did in the mid 1970's. Surely he could have changed the act a bit if he really felt the way he says he does...it would still have sold out etc.

i know some people who saw him his first few tours and they said it was pretty packed.

but anyways again you are wrong. i said plant did not play any zeppelin tunes as a SOLO artist until the late 80's and you said yes he did when he was THE HONEYDRIPPERS. thats a band not a solo artist. here is a site with some setlists from plants early tours on it and prior to 1988 there isn't a single zeppelin tune on those setlists.
[www.setlist.fm]

Date: January 8, 2011 00:29

crumbling_mice
Jah Paul
crumbling_mice
keefriffhard4life
crumbling_mice

21 April 1981

01 - Little Sister
02 - Hey Man
03 - Lotta Lovin
04 - Your True Love
06 - Honky Tonk
07 - How Many More Years
08 - Crosscut Saw
09 - Bring It On Home
11 - Sugar Coated Love
13 - Keep On Loving Me
14 - What Can I Do
15 - Keep Your Love
16 - Queen Of The Hob
17 - She, She, Sheila
18 - Got My Mojo Working

I wasn't saying he did zep 'classics' I was saying he did songs that he'd done with zep. It was more of a defence against what he was saying about bands like the stones.

You also said he's played Zep tunes on "all the rest of his solo ventures right up to his last tour with Alison Krauss" -- which isn't the case. He didn't play ANY Zep songs on his first two solo tours...and even the 2 or 3 songs he played with the Honeydrippers probably bore little resemblance to the Zep versions, considering he had a band with a saxophonist and a dedicated harmonica player (who also played sax).

As for your defense, Plant didn't even mention the Stones by name...and so what if he was even implying it? Whether he plays Zep songs or not, his track record as a solo artist has hardly been rooted in nostalgia.

I've never understood why some Stones fans are so overly-protective of their favorite band that they have to verbally seek and destroy any and all enemies...real or imagined. It's like teenage girls worshiping Donny Osmond or something.eye rolling smiley

Date: January 8, 2011 00:33

I'm not overly protective...I was an equally big Zepp fan and saw them at Knebworth and all Plants' tours since. I have a great deal of admiration for both Plant and Page. Oh and by the way at the Honeydrippers gig (Bradford University) the songs he played which he had played with zepp were instantly recognised by all the audience. I personally had a broef chat with RObert at the bar prior to him going on stage and asked him if he intended to do any zepp numbers and his very words were, 'a couple' and that is indeed what they did! eye rolling smiley

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 8, 2011 02:13

As a person who lived and breathed Zeppelin in the 70’s (seen them 18 times) here is my 2 cents:

I totally respect Plant for all that he has accomplished, or attempted to accomplish (musically) since 1980.

That being said, it doesn’t mean I like everything he’s done. I don’t. I like the "Rock n Roll" Plant. I have seen him 4 or 5 times solo, and another 2 times w/ Page & Plant, and I enjoyed what he put out in the 80’s, early 90’s and the Mighty Rearranger a few years back (as well as the stuff he did with Page in the 90’s). And yes, he did not do any Led Zeppelin his first 2 solo tours.

I see nothing wrong with an artist changing the presentation of a song to fit in the style of the band he is playing with. I love the Strange Sensation version of Black Dog. Sometimes bands will change a style of their own music just to mix it up or get a better live sound (and it doesn’t always work.

As far as Plant’s statement, maybe he had the Stones in mind, but I didn’t see it that way. I took it more to mean the bands on the casino and Sunday in the Park circuit such as Credence Clearwater Revisited, Styx & Flock of Seagulls. Good or bad, the Stones did have new material the last time they toured.

All that being said….If Plant totally flopped as a solo artist and Page did not want to do a reunion, I bet he would be singing Zeppelin tunes at under 1000 seat venues.

Would I go to a Led Zeppelin reunion? You bet I would!

Date: January 8, 2011 02:17

crumbling_mice
I'm not overly protective...I was an equally big Zepp fan and saw them at Knebworth and all Plants' tours since. I have a great deal of admiration for both Plant and Page. Oh and by the way at the Honeydrippers gig (Bradford University) the songs he played which he had played with zepp were instantly recognised by all the audience. I personally had a broef chat with RObert at the bar prior to him going on stage and asked him if he intended to do any zepp numbers and his very words were, 'a couple' and that is indeed what they did! eye rolling smiley

so whats with the lack of comments about the link with the setlists i posted? it clearly shows the setlists were about the same every gig and there are no zeppelin tunes. he didn't even tour after his first solo album because he didn't have enough material and didn't want to do zeppelin tunes.

Date: January 8, 2011 02:43

crumbling_mice

Well, I wasn't there, but on the recordings I've heard from that brief tour, "How Many More Years" sounds like...well, Howlin' Wolf's "How Many More Years", which has a very different tempo and rhythm compared to "How Many More Times." "Bring It On Home" is recognizable, but it's the Sonny Boy Williamson version all the way, without Page's theatrics in the middle.

Guess that would count as maybe one instantly recognizable "Zepp" number.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: January 10, 2011 03:11

jhat111
— Plant is endlessly annoyed by his musical peers (he won't name names) who do little besides replay their old hits. "There's nothing worse than a bunch of jaded old farts, and that's a fact," he says. "People who have written their story — they've gotten to the point where nothing moves. I don't deal in that, and I don't deal with anybody who deals in that."

msnbc.com

Robert Plant? Just another typical Jealous Rat Male suffering from 'Jealous Rat Male Syndrome'. Saw him not too long ago on some music channel, what an absolute mess.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 10, 2011 03:38

24FPS
Sure, they play the 'warhorses', but there's usually enough bonafide blues in a Stones concert to satisfy. And they are the only major rock group from the 60s to continually tour and cycle in new material.

Will you provide a percentage of what "new material" they "cycle in" when they're "continually" touring?

Date: January 10, 2011 03:44

Midnight Toker
it's called reality. reason why led zep never reformed for a lengthy tour. i see his point. what is the use of playing the same old songs over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again?

See Rolling Stones tours 1989, 1990, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2007.

Date: January 10, 2011 03:53

Jah Paul
I'm not seeing many Zep tunes in this set (two?)..."Bring It On Home" and "How Many More Years" (Howlin' Wolf's original)...

In fact, there are ZERO Zep songs in that list you provided, because "Bring It On Home" was written by Willie Dixon.

However, since Zep did "cover" it, one could say he did play one Zep song ha ha...

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1628
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home