Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Johnny Winter's Live Jumpin' Jack Flash...Opinions??
Posted by: ChrisO ()
Date: March 17, 2013 19:38

Myself,
I think Johnny really does justice on this tune, although he shines all round in my opinion.
His voice & guitar are both unbelievably fantastic on this song!

Re: Johnny Winter's Live Jumpin' Jack Flash...Opinions??
Posted by: bob r ()
Date: March 17, 2013 19:51

Always loved his version of JJF on the Johnny Winter And...live album !
He also did a solid version of Silver Train on Still Alive and Well....
He rocks !

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 17, 2013 20:13

Love 'em, also his versions of Stray Cat Blues and Let It Bleed.

Date: March 17, 2013 20:30

andrewm

Ok, I dont have a good reason, but I never heard Johnny's Stray Cat Blues before. Bout knocked me off my chair just now!!!!

Thank you andrewm!!!!!

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 17, 2013 20:35

The Live Johnny Winter vinyl album 1971 was my first JW album, JJF is a great cover and the rest sounds great as well

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: March 17, 2013 20:58

I've always liked that version...the only one I've heard which betters it is Leon Russel's version from Concert for Bangladesh

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 17, 2013 21:02

crumbling_mice
I've always liked that version...the only one I've heard which betters it is Leon Russel's version from Concert for Bangladesh

Have the same opinion as you. Johnny's version is great, but the best cover of JJF I know is Leon's from CBD 1971. Hardly anyone has had a cooler voice than Leon had at certain numbers in the early 70s.

Date: March 17, 2013 21:08

ChrisO
andrewm

Ok, I dont have a good reason, but I never heard Johnny's Stray Cat Blues before. Bout knocked me off my chair just now!!!!

Thank you andrewm!!!!!

No problem, ChrisO! Sorry, guess I could have provided a link. Anyway, glad you liked it.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 17, 2013 21:23

Erik_Snow
crumbling_mice

Have the same opinion as you. Johnny's version is great, but the best cover of JJF I know is Leon's from CBD 1971. Hardly anyone has had a cooler voice than Leon had at certain numbers in the early 70s.

The best cover? ; Jumping' Jack Flash- Aretha Franklin

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 17, 2013 21:39

Maybe he mixes Silver Train (released a few months before Goat's Head Soup was out!) with Stray Cat Blues?!
Great album called Still Alive And Well (a title with a meaning...) that also had Let It Bleed on.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 17, 2013 21:40

I like Johnny's version of Jumping Jack Flash a lot. Johnny is a highly skilled guitar player but he doesn't allow his technique to get in the way of his heartfell playing. Amazing rocker and bluesman, Johnny is a brilliant musician and great genuine interpreter of the Rolling Stones songbook. Johnny rocks!
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 17, 2013 21:50

really a great cover. love the bass playing on it too. love the ending.

Posted by: millerman60 ()
Date: March 18, 2013 00:10

I like all of Johnny's Stones' covers. His version of Stray Cat Blues is so sleezy I feel dirty listening to it.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 18, 2013 00:32

bob r
Always loved his version of JJF on the Johnny Winter And...live album !
He also did a solid version of Silver Train on Still Alive and Well....
He rocks !

thumbs up hot smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: March 18, 2013 01:59

JJHMick
Maybe he mixes Silver Train (released a few months before Goat's Head Soup was out!) with Stray Cat Blues?!
Great album called Still Alive And Well (a title with a meaning...) that also had Let It Bleed on.

Not sure what you mean? Silver Train and Let It Bleed are on Still Alive and Well, Stray Cat Blues is on Saints and Sinners.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 18, 2013 02:20

Yeah I liked that one!
And Stray Cat Blues from his album Saints & Sinners...
But it was brilliant what he did as producer for and whit Muddy Waters, especially the Hard Again album. Unforgettable.
Always liked Johnny from the start!
Thanks for posting ChrisO!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-18 02:30 by Dreamer.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: March 18, 2013 02:34

Going to see Johnny next Friday here in Massachusetts...he is frail but can still play.......

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: March 18, 2013 02:45

Always loved Johnny Winters music.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: March 18, 2013 02:46

Love JW,his JJF,IMO is just as good as the original,same goes for his other covers of The Stones,here is a story related to this subject,back in the 80's l was the manager of a private club in South Miami,well for two nights in a row Johnny showed up with some friends from the area to hang out and "party",so l got to talk to him a bit,first, he was very nice and accessible,at one point l mentioned to him that l loved his rendition of Silver Train,and that l thought his version was even better than the one in GHS (Still do),he said it was giving to him by Mick to record..On the second night of his visit he got up on stage with the house band and tore it up,did about six songs,and unforgettable experience...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 18, 2013 02:52

1974 version with killer rhythm/co-lead guitarist Floyd Radford...
I think this is the same line-up that appeared on the Captured Live album from 1976:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-18 02:53 by Hairball.

Posted by: millerman60 ()
Date: March 18, 2013 02:58

I also love Johnny's cover of Dylan's Highway 61 on Captured Live, a slide guitar tour de force.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: March 18, 2013 06:42

I like Johnny's playing (and Aretha), but no cover version of JJF stands up to the released version, even the Stones alternative JJF studio takes and all their live versions don't stand up to the JJF single.

I don't like the way Mick grunts it out with different chorus notes in most live versions.

I think Mick sang it in the original way at the Hyde Park concert, but not too many other times.

I also can't understand why Keith drops the intro and varies the main riff and tempo so much depending on the live version.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-18 06:50 by howled.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 18, 2013 08:19

Winters version is the one I were listened to...played on each and every party at that time...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 18, 2013 12:48

runaway
The Live Johnny Winter vinyl album 1971 was my first JW album, JJF is a great cover and the rest sounds great as well

Great, great record! And that "ROCK and ROLL" yell that introduces 'J.B. Good' is the best shout ever recorded on a rock and rock record.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: March 18, 2013 13:31

IMO the only cover which comes anywhere near to the original is by Aretha Franklin (not surprising as Keith and Ronnie are on it).

Posted by: Bassid6 ()
Date: March 18, 2013 14:13

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-31 01:50 by Bassid6.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 18, 2013 14:19

Johnny Winter And Live is a fantastic live album; Winter worked well with Rick Derringer.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: March 18, 2013 14:31

Johnny Winter sounds not bad with this cover, but I prefer listen to the orginal song!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 18, 2013 14:32

Johnny brings the golden blues touch to JJF and a lot of other Stones. JJF is a pure blues onslaught by Johnny. Full on full tilt and very passionate. I also think his version of Let it Bleed shreds the original! Love it!

Aretha's version sounds so tepid with that terrible 80s sheen that just about destroyed classic rock. And that joker from American Idol is on it too... ew!

Date: March 18, 2013 18:35

ROPENI
Love JW,his JJF,IMO is just as good as the original,same goes for his other covers of The Stones,here is a story related to this subject,back in the 80's l was the manager of a private club in South Miami,well for two nights in a row Johnny showed up with some friends from the area to hang out and "party",so l got to talk to him a bit,first, he was very nice and accessible,at one point l mentioned to him that l loved his rendition of Silver Train,and that l thought his version was even better than the one in GHS (Still do),he said it was giving to him by Mick to record..On the second night of his visit he got up on stage with the house band and tore it up,did about six songs,and unforgettable experience...

ROPENI,
What a fantastic time you must have had!!!
WOW, Thanks for sharing this!!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1655
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home