Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
A New Album: Now, Or Never!
Date: February 27, 2013 05:05

Let's not kid ourselves! It's either a new album now, or never! I find it hard to believe that all we are hearing about these days is chatter of more live shows - the second part of '50 and Counting. The "real talk" should be about whether they are going to dig down deep (as artists) and deliver one last great album!

The 50th anniversary shows were fantastic, but it's time to put the #50 behind us and look forward to something new and exciting, like a new album! Do the Stones honestly believe that they can tour this coming summer on no new music? Of course they could, but why would they? Just why are we not hearing anything about a new album? Do they really think that time is still on their side and that they can wait until 2014 or 2015 to produce new music? For yet another tour?

It's nice to think that our musical icons will go on forever, and there will always be time later on to produce that one last great album, but lets be realistic - these guys average close to 70 years old! It's just flat out too risky to prolong the making of a new album past 2013. In fact. if they are going to tour this summer then they should be producing that new album at this very moment!

Could it be that they have no real desire to ever record new music again? Or, are they going to spring a surprise on us when we least expect it? I hope it's the latter, but if it's the former, then I am deeply disappointed in them. How about you?

Re: A New Album: Now, Or Never!
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 27, 2013 05:16

I want a new album if they truly have the time and the material to make a good one. The reverse is more cookie cutter songs that we're going to have to hear in concert. There is no rule saying they can't write a few good ones play them all summer and then record after a tour once they've vibed them up.

Date: February 27, 2013 05:21

DoomandGloom
I want a new album if they truly have the time and the material to make a good one. The reverse is more cookie cutter songs that we're going to have to hear in concert. There is no rule saying they can't write a few good ones play them all summer and then record after a tour once they've vibed them up.

Eight or nine powerful new songs would be more than adequate.

Date: February 27, 2013 05:26

JumpinJackOLantern
DoomandGloom

Well they have to have it in them, but yes it would be nice..

Date: February 27, 2013 05:32

DoomandGloom
JumpinJackOLantern
DoomandGloom

Well they have to have it in them, but yes it would be nice..

The last two turned out pretty good and they banged them out in no time, but you are correct, they have to have the desire burning in their gut to make it happen. Lets see if we can "light a fire" under them with this thread! Sometimes I think they need a pep talk! It works in sports! Why not in rock 'n roll?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-27 05:34 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Date: February 27, 2013 05:54

I think you are being unfair, great songs come from more than desire. They have so much going on and all live such separate lives. I think there's a better chance for a true band album after a tour. All speculation but I could do without 8 more Doom and Glooms and One More Shots...

Date: February 27, 2013 06:10

DoomandGloom
I think you are being unfair, great songs come from more than desire. They have so much going on and all live such separate lives. I think there's a better chance for a true band album after a tour. All speculation but I could do without 8 more Doom and Glooms and One More Shots...

I would certainly help if Mick and Keith could come together (as in the past) and work together. I would really like to know what is going on between them. They need someone like Barney Fife to line them up like he did Floyd, Gomer, and Otis, and read them the riot act! In short, they need a manager/motivator that is going to get in their face and bring the best out of them. Neither one would like it, but maybe that is what they need? I know they have it in them.

Date: February 27, 2013 06:20

If you look at 12-12-12 they seem to be buddies. Insiders talk of tough talk between the two in rehearsal but rehearsal is a very stressful environment. It's really loud and it's no wonder they should be short or lose their tempers. Keith looks great in his latest photo, he's had a long road to travel since his accident and personal cleanup. They love each other some actions may contradict that but if someone rushed Mick again Keith would clobber him with a Tele once more.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: February 27, 2013 06:22

The Stones need one more album to push past the Sons of Beatles. Right?

Date: February 27, 2013 06:24

DoomandGloom
If you look at 12-12-12 they seem to be buddies. Insiders talk of tough talk between the two in rehearsal but rehearsal is a very stressful environment. It's really loud and it's no wonder they should be short or lose their tempers. Keith looks great in his latest photo, he's had a long road to travel since his accident and personal cleanup. They love each other some actions may contradict that but if someone rushed Mick again Keith would clobber him with a Tele once more.

It's so difficult to know exactly what is going on behind closed doors with these guys. If they never record again then we know something is amiss. I have suggested Dr. Phil.

Date: February 27, 2013 06:31

GumbootCloggeroo

Just who the hell are you exactly, and what are you up to? Seems to be some strange synchronicity going on.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: February 27, 2013 07:54

The fantasy for me would be another album wih a Beggar's Banquet feel. So that means that they spend about nine months together in a semi-communal environment and slowly but surely extract the last creative juices. The album would have a nice acoustic and stripped-down feel mixed with some electric tunes.

I am not much of a fan of an all-blues album. They have already worked through the blues throughout their career and even original blues songs would not be covering any new ground.

Just nine or ten thoughtfully written and crafted songs, Rolling Stones songs. The recording needs to have an organic sound. Perhaps use tape and 1960-70s-era mising consoles. Spend months and months honing and bouncing ideas off of each other.

They need an unknown producer in his or her thirties that has the magic touch for channeling the Stones. There can be no high-profile producer "sheen" to the sound. There should be no sense of an producer "stamp" at all. No Don, heaven forbid.

In this day and age they would all have to agree to take a year "off" to do this and get rid of all of the modern crap we have to wade through in life these days. So no tweets from the band members and remote managing of a movie production operation and crap like that. Pretend it's 1968 and loose your cell phones. The simpler stripped-down life so you could just live and make music.

Bring Bill Wyman back for the last recording sessions.

A fantasy....

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: February 27, 2013 08:53

JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo

Just who the hell are you exactly, and what are you up to? Seems to be some strange synchronicity going on.

And what's happened to the Sons of The Beatles project? Was looking forward to that.

Date: February 27, 2013 10:09

John has two sons so there's a delay..

Date: February 27, 2013 10:18

10 songs, mostly blues and rock'n'roll - Berry style, with a ballad tossed in. Can't go wrong, but it is wishful thinking indeed...

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: February 27, 2013 10:37

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 27, 2013 11:29

"Now, Or Never" ... great title for the new album

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: tomekdp ()
Date: February 27, 2013 12:42

Heh - Deep Purple have just announced the title of their new LP. It's "NOW What?!". So "Now or Never" for the Stones would not be such a bad idea.
Anyway - I feel much the same. Either they follow the momentum and make some really good music to sum up these 50 years, or the (hopefully) forthcoming tour will really be their swan song. Having said that, I will do my best to secure myself a ticket in a reasonable price winking smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 27, 2013 12:56

or just some outtakes, that would be brilliant.

jeroen

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: February 27, 2013 18:17

They could also do an Undercover Deluxe album in november, when it's 30 years after
the original release. With a second disk filled with highlights from the 1984 world
tour....

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 27, 2013 18:35

Sadly, money, age and the digital recording technique have hurt the Stones.

No one will ever love the STONES next album..

Because The fans of the Stones early 60's blues will hate it as it will be too clean and not
bluesey enough for them..

The fan's from the 70's... Taylor years, will hate it as it doesn't have Taylor
on it..haha..

And most fans in the USA seem to love rap, and pop....Not many are loving
good old Berry Blues Rocking Rolling Stones type of music anymore!

I really dig the 2 new tracks from GRR. but half the people on this Stones fan site
hate it...WOW...

What is a ROCK BAND TO DO?

I LOVE THE STONES thumbs up
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 27, 2013 18:52

hot stuff
No one will ever love the STONES next album

I would

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: February 27, 2013 19:29

MileHigh
The fantasy for me would be another album wih a Beggar's Banquet feel. So that means that they spend about nine months together in a semi-communal environment and slowly but surely extract the last creative juices. The album would have a nice acoustic and stripped-down feel mixed with some electric tunes.

I am not much of a fan of an all-blues album. They have already worked through the blues throughout their career and even original blues songs would not be covering any new ground.

Just nine or ten thoughtfully written and crafted songs, Rolling Stones songs. The recording needs to have an organic sound. Perhaps use tape and 1960-70s-era mising consoles. Spend months and months honing and bouncing ideas off of each other.

They need an unknown producer in his or her thirties that has the magic touch for channeling the Stones. There can be no high-profile producer "sheen" to the sound. There should be no sense of an producer "stamp" at all. No Don, heaven forbid.

In this day and age they would all have to agree to take a year "off" to do this and get rid of all of the modern crap we have to wade through in life these days. So no tweets from the band members and remote managing of a movie production operation and crap like that. Pretend it's 1968 and loose your cell phones. The simpler stripped-down life so you could just live and make music.

Bring Bill Wyman back for the last recording sessions.

A fantasy....

Nice fantasy, lets hope it becomes a reality.

Date: February 27, 2013 19:51

BlackHat
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo

And what's happened to the Sons of The Beatles project? Was looking forward to that.

The concept of the Sons of The Beatles is not a joke. It's a "No-Brainer." It would bring joy to millions and make a ton of money for all involved. James McCartney has expressed an interest in the concept at some point down the road. It isn't going to happen overnight, Sure, it would be cool if they could pull it together for the 50th anniversary of the Beatles coming to America in 2014 but that isn't likely. As a fan of the Stones you learn patience, as a fan (of the concept) of the Sons of The Beatles you must also exercise patience. At least you have had plenty of experience.

Ultimately, I think the deciding player in whether this will happen or not is going to be Yoko. Sean appears to be a "mommas boy" just like his dad - Yoko being the mother figure, of course. If Yoko gives it the green light then I think it can happen. Ringo's sons are another potential roadblock. I think Dhani would be in for it.

My best guess is that if it's going to happen it will be sometime later in this decade. In the meantime, I will be doing all that I can (as a fan) to make it happen - there is magic in the pen!

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: February 27, 2013 20:08

hot stuff
I wouldn't say that digital recording techniques have hurt the Stones. They've been using digital for a long time now. They wouldn't be in a different position if they had been recording analog this entire time. At the end of the day, what matters is the song. If the song they've written isn't gold, a recording technique isn't going to fix that.

Money and age have hurt them, yes. But that's only human nature. People love money and they want more and more of it. And with age, musicianship declines. I don't blame them for that.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 27, 2013 20:12

JumpinJackOLantern
BlackHat
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo

The concept of the Sons of The Beatles is not a joke. It's a "No-Brainer." It would bring joy to millions and make a ton of money for all involved. James McCartney has expressed an interest in the concept at some point down the road. It isn't going to happen overnight, Sure, it would be cool if they could pull it together for the 50th anniversary of the Beatles coming to America in 2014 but that isn't likely. As a fan of the Stones you learn patience, as a fan (of the concept) of the Sons of The Beatles you must also exercise patience. At least you have had plenty of experience.

Ultimately, I think the deciding player in whether this will happen or not is going to be Yoko. Sean appears to be a "mommas boy" just like his dad - Yoko being the mother figure, of course. If Yoko gives it the green light then I think it can happen. Ringo's sons are another potential roadblock. I think Dhani would be in for it.

My best guess is that if it's going to happen it will be sometime later in this decade. In the meantime, I will be doing all that I can (as a fan) to make it happen - there is magic in the pen!

That's not a band, it's a cynical marketing exercise.

Date: February 27, 2013 20:14

Rolling Hansie
"Now, Or Never" ... great title for the new album

thumbs upthumbs up

Date: February 27, 2013 20:20

hot stuff

No one will ever love the STONES next album..

Because The fans of the Stones early 60's blues will hate it as it will be too clean and not
bluesey enough for them..

The fan's from the 70's... Taylor years, will hate it as it doesn't have Taylor
on it..haha..

And most fans in the USA seem to love rap, and pop....Not many are loving
good old Berry Blues Rocking Rolling Stones type of music anymore!

I really dig the 2 new tracks from GRR. but half the people on this Stones fan site
hate it...WOW...

What is a ROCK BAND TO DO?

Is it possible that half the people on this site (that hate the two new songs) are really just a handful of people with multiple user names? Probably "plants" that are, in actuality, Beatles fans!

Date: February 27, 2013 20:21

DoomandGloom
John has two sons so there's a delay..

Good one!

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 27, 2013 20:23

True. But with tape you can hide and layer the sound....Take SWAY or any of their
old hits. Every time you play it you hear something different.

With Digital recordings it just sounds to clean to be the Stones..

What i agree is that every fan has their own favorite period for what they think
the Stones should sound like..

The last album that they really worked hard on was Bridges...And many didn't like it...
Then they go back to the basic...Bigger Bang and many didn't like it..

Sadly i'm old enough to remember the Release on Exile...I loved it. But many people at the
time hated it.. I also remember a friend who told me his older brother bought Black n Blue
and returned it as he hated it...Saying this isn't the Stones...

Stones can't win..They need to play what they like and not try to cater to every fan..Just
play what you like and play it from the heart...That's what makes a great Stones album..HEART!

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1742
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home