Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Question: Main Open Tuning Used on 'Acoustic' Songs
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: January 3, 2011 04:34

Hello all,
Happy New Year! I recieved a new acoustic guitar for Christmas. I would like to tune it to an open tuning other than open G.

Can someone tell me what open tuning (other than G) that is most used on Stones songs.......mainly acoustic songs,like Prodigal Son?

I look forward to hearing from you all.
Thank you

Re: Question: Main Open Tuning Used on 'Acoustic' Songs
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 3, 2011 05:01

Prodigal Son in Open E or Open D with capo on 2nd fret. Check Ya Yas video. Lots of Keith slide stuff circa Let It Bleed and BB in those tunings. Later things like Wild Horses in open G, of course.

Posted by: iamwaiting ()
Date: January 3, 2011 05:03

Prodigal Son is Open E tuning EBEG#Be, or to put less stress on the guitar, use open D tuning DADF#Ad with a capo on the 2nd fret.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: January 3, 2011 05:38

Backstreet Girl is in a weird tuning, not "Open tuning", I don't know what it's called: D/G/C/G/B/e

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 3, 2011 11:42

stones78
Backstreet Girl is in a weird tuning, not "Open tuning", I don't know what it's called: D/G/C/G/B/e

As far as I am aware BSG is in standard tuning.

Mathijs

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 3, 2011 12:15

YCAGWYW, Prodigal Son, Parachute Woman, SFM, Jig Saw Puzzle (both acoustic and slide), the acoustic early SFTD, JJF (at least one of the guitars), NE (acoustic and slide I believe?), Let it bleed, Gimme Shelter (rhythm), the slide on Midnight Rambler, slide on Still a fool, You got the silver. What did I miss?

Date: January 3, 2011 12:49

Redhotcarpet
YCAGWYW, Prodigal Son, Parachute Woman, SFM, Jig Saw Puzzle (both acoustic and slide), the acoustic early SFTD, JJF (at least one of the guitars), NE (acoustic and slide I believe?), Let it bleed, Gimme Shelter (rhythm), the slide on Midnight Rambler, slide on Still a fool, You got the silver. What did I miss?

??

Date: January 3, 2011 14:48

Redhotcarpet

Many of those songs are not acoustic. Many of the songs don't have open tuned guitars either (GS, PW, LIcool smiley.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 3, 2011 14:56

Palace Revolution 2000
Redhotcarpet

??

Rye Cooder.winking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 3, 2011 15:08

DandelionPowderman

Many of those songs are not acoustic. Many of the songs don't have open tuned guitars either (GS, PW, LIcool smiley.

The tremolo guitar on GS is tuned to open E, possibly atleast one of the acoustics on PW too. LIB, the slide is open tuned no?

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 3, 2011 15:11

Mathijs
stones78

Mathijs

Correct. Standard tuning. B A and E (Capoed at the 3rd fret)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-03 15:25 by terraplane.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: January 3, 2011 15:31

Thank you all.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 3, 2011 15:56

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

GS, PW are both in open E. I know he asked for acoustic songs but the Open E/D tunings are so rare I thought I'd include the electric.

Date: January 3, 2011 17:19

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

The tremolo guitar on GS is tuned to open E, possibly atleast one of the acoustics on PW too. LIB, the slide is open tuned no?

Yeah, you're right. Many guitars in there winking smiley

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: January 3, 2011 19:25

terraplane
Mathijs
stones78

Mathijs

Correct. Standard tuning. B A and E (Capoed at the 3rd fret)

It's not standard tuning because Keith plays a low D on the 6th string. So at least the 6th string it's tuned to D.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1803
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home