Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Chuck Berry collapses
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 2, 2011 21:28

All power to you Chuck. Hope you get better soon.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: January 2, 2011 21:29

Yes Get Well Chuck

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 2, 2011 21:29

Here's to a rapid recovery for Chuck!

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: January 2, 2011 21:50

get well Chuck-king-Berry

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: January 2, 2011 22:00

Did this happen during another of his endless and coma-inducing renditions of "My Ding-A-Ling"?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Hope he is on the mend.

Collapsing onstage can be scary for sure. Mark Sandman never got back up.

J

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: January 2, 2011 22:00

Lets hear some tributes to man now that he's still with us, I hate when everyone says how much someone meant to them after they died. Chuck Berry IS rock and roll.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 2, 2011 22:02

Scary stuff.

He must have been exhausted after doing two shows in NYC just the previous night.

Posted by: Dali ()
Date: January 2, 2011 22:39

JMARKO
Did this happen during another of his endless and coma-inducing renditions of "My Ding-A-Ling"?

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: January 2, 2011 23:04

get well soon Chuck!!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 2, 2011 23:14

"Concertgoer Steve Handwerker says Berry gave an erratic, out-of-tune performance"

Well, what's new since 1972?

Mathijs
Disclaimer: There isn't a bigger CB fan than myself (even though I do think his 64 come back material with Viva Viva Rock 'n Roll is the best he ever did).

Date: January 2, 2011 23:14

Oh NOsad smiley I hope hes okay.
See this is what happens when you get to old, thats why the stones need to hurry up! >sad smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 2, 2011 23:38

Mathijs
"Concertgoer Steve Handwerker says Berry gave an erratic, out-of-tune performance"

Well, what's new since 1972?

Mathijs
Disclaimer: There isn't a bigger CB fan than myself (even though I do think his 64 come back material with Viva Viva Rock 'n Roll is the best he ever did).
Seriously....If your name is Handwerker,wouldn't you change it?spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 2, 2011 23:40

[/quote]
Seriously....If your name is Handwerker,wouldn't you change it?spinning smiley sticking its tongue out[/quote]

With a name like Handwerker, he should have had a cameo in Borat!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 3, 2011 00:36

I watched both videos and saw nothing of him falling offstage or whatever, just the guy taking his guitar away because he didn't seem able to tune it. Hence the bit about Keith or Ronnie.

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: January 3, 2011 00:39

Wow , my heart went in my throat when I saw the topic .

Glad to hear he's doing better .

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: January 3, 2011 01:07

I don't know if anyone on this board is 84 years of age (I kind of doubt it!) but can you imagine doing whatever you do for a living at 84? Or just being alive at 84?? God bless CB for being out on the road. And his comment that he wanted to explain what happened to his fans was awesome. He's mellowing a bit in his old age! By the way, did anyone else notice that he has one hell of a wingspan?

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: January 3, 2011 01:32

get well soon Chuck!

I bet you will still be standing there in 20 years!

This guy is insane, THATS @#$%& rock n roll!

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: January 3, 2011 03:55

I was at the concert at the Congress Theater. From the outset, Chuck seemed a bit out-of-sorts, and very out of tune. I think the audience, and his 'band', were very bewildered. It was a very scary moment when he slumped on the keyboards and said "I'm struggling". I'm relieved that the founding father of rock and roll is doing better today. If it weren't for Chuck Berry, ...well, who knows.

Date: January 3, 2011 04:49

get well chuck berry!

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: January 3, 2011 06:43

bianca
It's a disgrace that a man that age is playing guitar in front of a paying audience.

The only reason he is doing it is because someone who wants to make money is forcing his hand.

I have never seen the man but I can guarantee you that at that age he is not a capable player, anymore. More like a freak show.

Attention Keith and Mick: watch and learn. Hang it up with dignity.

That was uncalled for and extremely disrespectful. Chuck Berry seems perfectly alert and capable of making his own decisions. I don't think anyone is forcing him to play. He's toured just like he's doing his whole life. What is the legal age when you have to retire?

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: January 3, 2011 07:21

bianca
It's a disgrace that a man that age is playing guitar in front of a paying audience.

The only reason he is doing it is because someone who wants to make money is forcing his hand.

I have never seen the man but I can guarantee you that at that age he is not a capable player, anymore. More like a freak show.

Attention Keith and Mick: watch and learn. Hang it up with dignity.

With a post like this, I don't think you're the most qualified to be giving advise on dignity.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 3, 2011 08:24

3DTeafoe
I was at the concert at the Congress Theater. From the outset, Chuck seemed a bit out-of-sorts, and very out of tune. I think the audience, and his 'band', were very bewildered. It was a very scary moment when he slumped on the keyboards and said "I'm struggling". I'm relieved that the founding father of rock and roll is doing better today. If it weren't for Chuck Berry, ...well, who knows.

3D, i'm going to have to be in better contact with you since you've got your finger on the pulse around this town. i saw the story on the news and indeed it sounds like a scary moment. i was impressed to hear he came out to explain and glad people cheered for him...and that he's better today. i'm sure the stones have heard about it and are concerned as well.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: January 3, 2011 09:54

Hey Bianca,

You have no F'ing clue what your talking about. You are an idiot.

I've seen him play twice in the past twelve months, both times from less than 10' away. He rocked both times, better than most 20 year olds I see around town.

He's a living legend and he's 84, and its amazing he still can do what he does and in my opinion he does it quite well, but as is the case with anyone who is 80+, you can lose it at any moment, as apparently happened here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-20 05:36 by chelskeith.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 3, 2011 11:48

Well said Chelskeith. Besides the insensitivity of the situation I really don't understand some peoples idea of when to retire. I say never retire, especially if you want to do it, and if you're able. This comes across very strange to me in the world of Rock And Roll where we're suppose to break down barriers, not make them. Also, I want to say that was very thoughtful of Chuck to return to the stage and let his fans know he was OK. Long may he run!!!!!

Date: January 3, 2011 11:58

Bianca, you don't know what you're talking about. Shut up, please.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 3, 2011 12:10

When did he collapse? Or is it the PR staff calling it a collapse. It sounds weird when he plays the piano, maybe something happened during that part.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 3, 2011 13:05

"I watched both videos and saw nothing of him falling offstage or whatever, just the guy taking his guitar away because he didn't seem able to tune it. Hence the bit about Keith or Ronnie."

Strange cause I thought you were initially trying to crack a poor gag at the expence of CB??

aka: "AHHHH you can't take a joke!"

Changed your 'tune' now?

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: January 3, 2011 15:44

Bianca - You are obviously very wise and the font of all knowledge............ could you please tell us when and where does the next Stones tour starts.

Grade A jerk....look in the mirror.

sc uk

Date: January 3, 2011 15:49

Bianca, @#$%& you.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 3, 2011 15:55

First of all, I wish Chuck gets well soon whatever actually happened to him.

Now, the title says "Chuck Berry collapses." In the article it says: "felt ill before a Chicago show and had to have medics check him out." Just another example of bad and stupid journalism. Just a made up title to attract attention. Most people don't read anything but the title, so most people get a completely false information. I will never get used to it.

Anyway, I hope Mr. Berry is fine. I wish him strong health and for myself I wish to have a chance to see him here in Europe.

Edit: In the article there is a link to Chicago Sun-Times. There it says:

"The 84-year-old Berry’s head lay on a keyboard, and he didn’t move for a couple of minutes before he was helped off stage by three people shortly before 10:30 p.m. He returned 20 minutes later after most of the auditorium had cleared out. He tuned up his guitar and tried to play before telling the audience he had no strength. He then did a variation of his legendary duck walk off stage."

It sounds very unlikely to me that his "head lay on a keyboard, and he didn’t move for a couple of minutes." I can not imagine the band and all the people look at him and wait for "a couple of minutes." Sounds completely made-up to me. Can somebody confirm it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-03 16:04 by Happy24.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1722
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home