Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Ian Stewart Tribute Album
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 9, 2011 15:16

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-09 15:17 by His Majesty.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 9, 2011 16:57

His Majesty

His Majesty's a pretty nice guy but he doesn't have a lot to say...

Date: January 10, 2011 00:33

loog droog
His Majesty

grinning smiley

Had problems posting earlier, so used here to test and see if the issues had gone away.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: January 11, 2011 16:42

loog droog
His Majesty

Well he does have a point.

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: January 11, 2011 19:00

Why to have been waiting that long before making it?

Date: January 11, 2011 21:52

Britney
loog droog
His Majesty

Well he does have a point.

Ha good one!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 12, 2011 20:50

schillid
I can't wait to get this.

After reading Keith's book, and watching the new L&G Bluray...
More and more, I think that besides just being "the sixth Stone," Stu was such an integral member of the band and an unsung hero throughout their career until his death.

Ian Stewart was the 6th Stone and well respected by his bandmates.
When Oldham "demoted" him because he didn't fit the image....he supposedly accepted it.

According to MJ: "Stu was the one guy we tried to please. We wanted his approval when we were writing or rehearsing a song. We'd want him to like it."

According to KR: "[Stu] might have realized that in the way it was going to have to be marketed, he would be out of sync, but that he could still be a vital part. I'd probably have said, 'Well, f**k you', but he said 'OK, I'll just drive you around.' That takes a big heart, but Stu had one of the largest hearts around."

Did rest of the Stones sit still when Oldham "demoted" Stu? ANy attempts to keep Stu on stage?

Once the Stones began to control their own careers....did they try to make things right??
Did this founding member (aka the SIXTH Stone) ever get compensated equal to the rest of the "on stage" band??

IORR............but I like it!

Date: January 12, 2011 22:37

According to the 1981? Keith interview Honestman posted, Brian was the only one that got upset about Stu being asked to take a step back.

Stu has been dismissive about promises Brian made to him at the time, but someone on another forum noted that at the time Brian may have been genuine with those promises, but for whatever reason was not able to fulfill them.

Seems the others just accepted it with out protest. According to that interview I mentioned Keith doesn't really seem to have given a shit about it, of course he tries to tell it differently now. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 13, 2011 00:11

His Majesty
According to the 1981? Keith interview Honestman posted, Brian was the only one that got upset about Stu being asked to take a step back.

Stu has been dismissive about promises Brian made to him at the time, but someone on another forum noted that at the time Brian may have been genuine with those promises, but for whatever reason was not able to fulfill them.

Seems the others just accepted it with out protest. According to that interview I mentioned Keith doesn't really seem to have given a shit about it, of course he tries to tell it differently now. eye rolling smiley

thanks.

what about the $$? ever get his fair (or equal) share..?.he had significant
involvement...he just didn't have the "look". Maybe equal pay just out
of guilt for his circumstances (demotion by Oldham).

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-13 00:12 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 16, 2011 06:41

While I look forward to this and understand that Dylan's version has a boogie-woogie feel, I can't help but think it's an odd choice for a Stu tribute album. Any of the songs they played at The 100 Club for Stu's wake would have made more sense.

On a related topic, I can't help but feel when they talk about Stu it is largely just myth-making and/or guilty consciences. During most of their first 25 years he was a roadie allowed to sit in when it suited them. Saying they wanted his approval was rubbish when one considers he probably disliked much of what they wrote and released (particularly as singles) once they ceased being primarily a cover band.

Stu even picked on tracks like "Honky Tonk Women" for the amount of overdubbing Keith did. He was a true purist. He knew them from the beginning and his mouthing off was tolerated, but at the end of the day he was mainly a guy to organize tour dates and oversee equipment being set up more than he was the guy they turned to for piano.

I say that because I believe that is truth. I love every one of Stu's contributions to their albums and miss him greatly. I just find their comments since 1986 to be disingenuous.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 16, 2011 07:08

Rocky Dijon
While I look forward to this and understand that Dylan's version has a boogie-woogie feel, I can't help but think it's an odd choice for a Stu tribute album. Any of the songs they played at The 100 Club for Stu's wake would have made more sense.

On a related topic, I can't help but feel when they talk about Stu it is largely just myth-making and/or guilty consciences. During most of their first 25 years he was a roadie allowed to sit in when it suited them. Saying they wanted his approval was rubbish when one considers he probably disliked much of what they wrote and released (particularly as singles) once they ceased being primarily a cover band.

Stu even picked on tracks like "Honky Tonk Women" for the amount of overdubbing Keith did. He was a true purist. He knew them from the beginning and his mouthing off was tolerated, but at the end of the day he was mainly a guy to organize tour dates and oversee equipment being set up more than he was the guy they turned to for piano.

I say that because I believe that is truth. I love every one of Stu's contributions to their albums and miss him greatly. I just find their comments since 1986 to be disingenuous.

A large part of that may be true to a a degree. But,you have to give the Stones some credit that they were able to innovate from their humble beginnings. You get the feeling sometimes that Stu hated any part of them being successful or remotely commercial.

Date: January 16, 2011 07:15

I loved Stu's contributions, but that didn't stop me from loving roughly 90% of all the music they have released over their career most of which did not feature Stu's piano and much of which did not stay true to their roots as far as a purist would be concerned.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 16, 2011 07:17

I can't help but think it's an odd choice for a Stu tribute album.

Yeah Rocky ... Fully agree but guess the proof will be in thee pudding ....

Hey and good ta see ya hangin' around again ....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 16, 2011 07:24

As for my return, allow me to paraphrase Mr. Zimmerman as it seems appropriate...

"Now the Rockman gave me two cures
Then he said, "Jump right in"
The one was Texas medicine
The other was just railroad gin
And like a fool I mixed them
And it strangled up my mind
And now people just get uglier
And I have no sense of time"

The cure took. I intend to stay put and be less abrasive.

Date: January 16, 2011 07:29

Hey yeah ya shouldn't take it so serious ..... AND it is really the
boss Stones site and after all when it's said and done it's only rock & roll....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 16, 2011 07:31

...and crashbox lust.

Date: January 16, 2011 07:38

Oooow Yeah that's a thing and it'll that'll knock ya and sooth ya .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: January 16, 2011 16:24

will the song be titled as "The rolling stones" on the album?(of course not the title of the track)
Cause then you cuold almost say that it's a brand new stones song, even if its a cover.

anyone know when this was recorded?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-16 16:25 by Pelle.

Date: January 16, 2011 18:20

His Majesty
...at the time Brian may have been genuine with those promises, but for whatever reason was not able to fulfill them. ...Keith doesn't really seem to have given a shit about it, of course he tries to tell it differently now. eye rolling smiley

...any idea how hypocrite the way you formulate this really sounds, HM?!
Definitely a LOT more then all the so-called/ hypothetical hypocrisy you credit and/or blame 'some' bandmembers for...
eye rolling smileyeye rolling smileyeye rolling smileyeye rolling smileyeye rolling smiley

And getting back to the (real) subject here: I never heard Stu complaining; what was there to set 'right' then, I wonder?!

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 16, 2011 19:54

Let's see, current Rolling Stones, and a former member, are going to play on a Bob Dylan cover, 'Watching The River Flow'. Hmmmm. Their last, and only go round on a Dylan song, 'Like A Rolling Stone', was a rather pedestrian result. In the past the Stones could take a cover and make it theirs. This was from songs that weren't recorded all that well, 'Around and Around', 'Harlem Shuffle', that the Stones saw great potential in. 'Watching The River Flow' is a well known, rollicking Bob Dylan song that is pretty much fully realized on its studio version (Greatest Hits, Volume II.) I don't quite understand why Ben Waters, or anyone, would tackle what is already a great Leon Russell piano part. And I don't know who played electric guitar, but they did a damn good job.

Another strange aspect is the pick of a Dylan song, with Bill Wyman on it! Wasn't it Dylan who recently said the Stones had turned into a funk band and needed Wyman back on bass? Could that be part of the Stones' humor, or just a strange coincidence? Odd that no one in the media brought that up, but the media has dropped considerably the past few years in my two-cents of an opinion.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: January 16, 2011 23:58

24FPS

Another strange aspect is the pick of a Dylan song, with Bill Wyman on it! Wasn't it Dylan who recently said the Stones had turned into a funk band and needed Wyman back on bass? Could that be part of the Stones' humor, or just a strange coincidence? .

Well done! I think, the former.
Btw, I really like 'Like A Rolling Stone' on Stripped and the video of it was great.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: January 17, 2011 09:17

Elmo Lewis
Album should be great. Good to see ya back, Lukester.

Thanks. It's great to be back.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: January 18, 2011 03:20

Seems like a great sing for Jagger to sing, if he gives it a little humor. A much better pick than Like a Rolling Stone

Date: January 19, 2011 13:20

MississippiBullfrog

...any idea how hypocrite the way you formulate this really sounds, HM?!
Definitely a LOT more then all the so-called/ hypothetical hypocrisy you credit and/or blame 'some' bandmembers for...
eye rolling smileyeye rolling smileyeye rolling smileyeye rolling smileyeye rolling smiley

And getting back to the (real) subject here: I never heard Stu complaining; what was there to set 'right' then, I wonder?!

Keith stated didn't give a shit about it in a early 1980's interview. Now he says it's stu who formed the band, it was his vision etc.

Quite a turn around and basically it's nonsense!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-01-19 13:29 by His Majesty.

Date: January 21, 2011 12:22

sweet neo con
schillid
I can't wait to get this.

After reading Keith's book, and watching the new L&G Bluray...
More and more, I think that besides just being "the sixth Stone," Stu was such an integral member of the band and an unsung hero throughout their career until his death.

Ian Stewart was the 6th Stone and well respected by his bandmates.
When Oldham "demoted" him because he didn't fit the image....he supposedly accepted it.

According to MJ: "Stu was the one guy we tried to please. We wanted his approval when we were writing or rehearsing a song. We'd want him to like it."

According to KR: "[Stu] might have realized that in the way it was going to have to be marketed, he would be out of sync, but that he could still be a vital part. I'd probably have said, 'Well, f**k you', but he said 'OK, I'll just drive you around.' That takes a big heart, but Stu had one of the largest hearts around."

Did rest of the Stones sit still when Oldham "demoted" Stu? ANy attempts to keep Stu on stage?

Once the Stones began to control their own careers....did they try to make things right??
Did this founding member (aka the SIXTH Stone) ever get compensated equal to the rest of the "on stage" band??

IMO Oldham was right.
It is pretty mindblowing to see even Jagger say they were always looking for Stu's approval etc. But that even more underscores this different relation towards him: it was more of an avuncular or mentor role he played. He was just 5 years older but 5 years at that stage was big, plus he just looked older. And we all know what Oldham's vision for the Stones was. And we all are sold on it. So Oldham was right.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: January 22, 2011 17:38

I'm happy Bill is there, maybe he will be doing a few dates on their tour.

Date: January 23, 2011 23:57

Rocky Dijon
As for my return, allow me to paraphrase Mr. Zimmerman as it seems appropriate...

"Now the Rockman gave me two cures
Then he said, "Jump right in"
The one was Texas medicine
The other was just railroad gin
And like a fool I mixed them
And it strangled up my mind
And now people just get uglier
And I have no sense of time"

The cure took. I intend to stay put and be less abrasive.

Good to have you back, Rocky! I hope you got my apologies before you left.

Date: January 24, 2011 00:42

I did see it, DandelionPowderman, and thanks but it wasn't necessary. I was the one with the problem so I took a powder, if you'll pardon the expression, and now all is well again.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: January 25, 2011 16:57

Interesting details about how this was recorded - don't think this was posted before.

[www.planetjive.freeuk.com]

Ben Waters flew to New York for a recording with Stones guitarist Keith Richards.

Mick Jagger has done his thing on the new album.[...] He recorded his parts down in the south of France. Unfortunately due to both our schedules we couldn't meet up for this session, so I e-mailed my track down to him and he added his parts and e-mailed it back.

So probably the Stones never reunited to record the track where they all guest.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 25, 2011 17:31

gwen
Interesting details about how this was recorded - don't think this was posted before.

[www.planetjive.freeuk.com]

Ben Waters flew to New York for a recording with Stones guitarist Keith Richards.

Mick Jagger has done his thing on the new album.[...] He recorded his parts down in the south of France. Unfortunately due to both our schedules we couldn't meet up for this session, so I e-mailed my track down to him and he added his parts and e-mailed it back.

So probably the Stones never reunited to record the track where they all guest.

Maybe that's how they'll record the next Stones album.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home