Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Ian Stewart Tribute Album
Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: January 1, 2011 10:02

This news comes directly from Ben Waters and explain also the recent rumours of Bill with the rest of the band:

IAN STEWART ALBUM

Well I can't quite believe it - the album is finished! Mixed by Glyn Johns who I have to say was fantastic, one could see why he has produced some of the best records in recent decades. I am so over the moon with the album and I believe its a fitting tribute to one of my all time favourite pianists. Everyone has played their hearts out for Stu and there is a really magical track. Bob Dylans "Watching The River Flow". All of the Rolling Stones including Bill Wyman have played on this track, they came together for Stu and it sounds amazing. Sir Peter Blake is now working on the front cover

The Album is due for release on the 9th March 2011!!!!!!!

Re: Ian Stewart Tribute Album
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 1, 2011 11:59

great!
cant wait
jeroen

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 1, 2011 12:05

riccardo99
Bob Dylans "Watching The River Flow". All of the Rolling Stones including Bill Wyman have played on this track, they came together for Stu and it sounds amazing. Sir Peter Blake is now working on the front cover

Great news - thanks for the heads up....if it's true, anyway

"Watching The River FLow"....that was my suggestion for Ronnie Wood to record, when they had that "competition" on ronniewood.com concerning which coversong he should do for the "I feel like playing" album

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: January 1, 2011 13:29

This is good news. I hope it is true... And yes Erik, "Watching The River Flow" is a great tune isn't it. One of Dylan's greatest early 1970s numbers. Could be wrong but memory says Jesse Ed Davis and Leon Russell are on the Dylan recording. The song has great humour- I love the false stops and starts in it.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: January 1, 2011 13:45

Excellent news so early in this New Year.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 1, 2011 17:07

Watching The River Flow is one of the most hated Bob Dylan songs amongst Bobcats!

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: January 1, 2011 17:12

About time they did this...can't wait to get the full track listings. If it is a true tribute the it should be full of boogie woogie and blues.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 4, 2011 00:03

Why 25 years and 4 months after his death?
This should have been done in 1986 as the live release of the 100 Club gig.

Or the 100 Club PPV!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 4, 2011 00:07

Munichhilton

well if they can reissue Exile on it's 38th anniversary, why not?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 4, 2011 00:12

Munichhilton

i'm not sure stu cares one way or the other....

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: January 4, 2011 08:58

Here's very much looking forward to this disc.
And I hope they used the recording sessions for warming up to record their own new album.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: January 4, 2011 09:54

The Rolling Stones, PJ Harvey to appear on Ian Stewart tribute album / Rolling Stones Cover Bob Dylan for 'Sixth Stone' Ian Stewart Tribute Album
Date: January 3, 2011 23:13

[consequenceofsound.net]

The Rolling Stones, PJ Harvey to appear on Ian Stewart tribute album

We’ve learned time and time again not to get our hopes up when discussing The Rolling Stones’ future endeavors, but here’s something too cool not to note. Spinner reports that the legendary outfit have recorded a brand new song for a forthcoming tribute. Better yet, it’s a cover of Bob Dylan’s 1971 song of “Watching the River Flow” and it was recorded by an ensemble that not only featured current members Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, and Charlie Watts, but also former bassist Bill Wyman.

Don’t believe it? Well, here are the facts: British piano player Ben Waters is releasing a tribute album for the “Sixth Stone,” aka Ian Stewart. For those who don’t know their Stones history, Stewart was the keyboardist and co-founding member of the outfit before ultimately taking the role of road manager at the request of the band’s management. Despite the demotion, Stewart proved a key figure in the band’s history, as he contributed piano, organ, marimbas and percussion to all Rolling Stones albums released between 1964 and 1986, except for Beggars Banquet, and also toured with the band during that span. Sadly, Stewart passed away on December 12th, 1985 at the age of 47 after suffering a heart attack.

Due for release on March 9th, Waters’ tribute album, Boogie for Stu, will seek to benefit the British Heart Foundation. Already Waters has Watts, Wood, Jools Holland, and PJ Harvey as confirmed contributors and in a recent message on his website, he revealed that he also recorded with Keith Richards, who played on three tracks and added vocals on another while Mick Jagger “played harmonica and sung fantastically on one track.”

The Rolling Stones’ have yet to confirm the report, but we’ll of course let you know if it comes to fruition.

[www.spinner.com]
Rolling Stones Cover Bob Dylan for 'Sixth Stone' Ian Stewart Tribute Album

Although fans debate whether they're hitting the road again later this year, the Rolling Stones will appear on an upcoming album by British piano player Ben Waters that pays tribute to the late Ian Stewart, often referred to as the 'sixth Stone.'

Waters' management confirmed to Spinner that 'Boogie for Stu' will be released Mar. 9, with all of its proceeds going to the British Heart Foundation. Management neither confirmed nor denied the Stones' involvement, but according to the band's fan site, It's Only Rock 'N Roll, the whole gang -- including former Stones bassist Bill Wyman -- will appear with Waters on the disc for a cover of the Bob Dylan song 'Watching the River Flow.'

Waters, whose family was friends with Stewart, says he began recording the album last year. In a message last February, Waters announced that drummer Charlie Watts, guitarist Ronnie Wood, Jools Holland and PJ Harvey were contributing to the project, with "a few more special guests" to be announced later.

In a Nov. 8 message on his site -- reposted on It's Only Rock 'N Roll's message board -- Waters added he had just returned from New York where he was recording the album with Keith Richards, who played on three tracks and added vocals on another while Mick Jagger "played harmonica and sung fantastically on one track." The album will be produced by Glyn Johns, a close friend of the late musician.

An original member of the Stones before being dismissed from the stage lineup in 1963 by then manager Andrew Loog Oldham, Stewart continued performing in the studio with the group playing piano and became the band's road manager. He also appeared on every Stones album between 1964-1986, with the exception of 'Beggars Banquet.' Stewart passed away on Dec. 12, 1985 from a heart attack. He was 47. On their 1986 album, 'Dirty Work,' the Stones included a snippet of Stewart's playing as its coda.

Re: The Rolling Stones, PJ Harvey to appear on Ian Stewart tribute album / Rolling Stones Cover Bob Dylan for 'Sixth Stone' Ian Stewart Tribute Album
Date: January 3, 2011 23:21

watching the river flow? what's the matter with them, don't they have much to say?

Re: The Rolling Stones, PJ Harvey to appear on Ian Stewart tribute album / Rolling Stones Cover Bob Dylan for 'Sixth Stone' Ian Stewart Tribute Album
Date: January 3, 2011 23:23

A post on IORR telling the folks who Ian Stewart was.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 3, 2011 23:30

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 3, 2011 23:34

flip side is much better...SPANISH IS THE LOVING TOUNGE..SWEET AS MUSIC...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: January 3, 2011 23:50

Surprise! And they didn't even tell us! Wonder what other "surprises" they have in store for us? Plenty! Stay tuned!

Date: January 4, 2011 00:06

Waters' management confirmed to Spinner that 'Boogie for Stu' will be released Mar. 9, with all of its proceeds going to the British Heart Foundation. Management neither confirmed nor denied the Stones' involvement, but according to the band's fan site, It's Only Rock 'N Roll, the whole gang -- including former Stones bassist Bill Wyman -- will appear with Waters on the disc for a cover of the Bob Dylan song 'Watching the River Flow.'

So effectively this story is a rehash of a post on THIS forum?

Must have been recorded during the recent get-together then - and would explain the talk of Wyman being around.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 4, 2011 00:09

Well, if it's true Wyman is involved then it really is news. Watching The River Flow is a great Dylan track. I love the version on "Greatest Hits Volume II".

Date: January 4, 2011 00:11

71Tele
Well, if it's true Wyman is involved then it really is news. Watching The River Flow is a great Dylan track. I love the version on "Greatest Hits Volume II".

it's a fun track, although a rather pedestrian blues number. leon russell on geetar, if memory serves....

Date: January 4, 2011 00:16

The way its worded suggests its not specifically a Stones performance but a guest appearance with Ben Waters (and maybe others, perhaps a sort of 'ensemble' piece).

Might have been a pro tools job unless they managed to all get together while they were in London recently.

Still, its good to see a release of this nature and to have SOME Stones activity to talk about.

Date: January 4, 2011 00:54

Gazza
The way its worded suggests its not specifically a Stones performance but a guest appearance with Ben Waters (and maybe others, perhaps a sort of 'ensemble' piece).

Might have been a pro tools job unless they managed to all get together while they were in London recently.

Still, its good to see a release of this nature and to have SOME Stones activity to talk about.

There is very much a "sum of the parts" quality to this story but lets see what comes of it specifically in terms of the Stones contribution. As a tribute, hopefully the band will do more this time around instead of the bullshit tribute of a full 34 seconds of Keys to the Highway on Dirty Work.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: January 4, 2011 01:02

At only 34 seconds,it was the best track on DW !

scuk

Date: January 4, 2011 01:07

straycatuk
At only 34 seconds,it was the best track on DW !

scuk

Tough crowd in tonight!

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: January 4, 2011 18:04

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: January 4, 2011 18:52

Stones Reunite with Bill Wyman to Record
Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: January 5, 2011 08:01

[www.antimusic.com]

Very interesting, I thought. They never do guest spots like this unless they're recording already (not with Bill thought, I don't think).

[www.non-filters.com]

Re: Stones Reunite with Bill Wyman to Record
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 5, 2011 08:09

>> They never do guest spots like this unless they're recording already <<

that's not really true ... but anyway! :E

Re: Stones Reunite with Bill Wyman to Record
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 5, 2011 08:12

...... I swear ...I swear I've read this somewhere before ....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1702
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home