Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Who is singing in the beginning of "Winter?"
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 25, 2010 23:38

Always thought it was Bill Wyman

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 25, 2010 23:41

a true hidden gem. too bad we never hear it on the radio. would have been nice if they tried to play it in concert.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 26, 2010 01:19

TornAndFried
I was listening to "Winter" today getting into the Christmas mood, and was wondering who is doing the opening vocal lines (Oh, ohhhh...wah, na, na, la, etc...) after the guitar intro. Is that Keith? Sure sounds like it.

Hi TornAndFried--

Good question. I asked the same question some years ago and I'm still not sure!

[www.iorr.org]

Drew

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: December 26, 2010 01:42

That vocal intro is by Mick - I canĀ“t imagine why anyone would think otherwise...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-26 01:45 by rootsman.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: December 26, 2010 08:13

For all those out there that responded to my question with something all the lines of "It's Mick, 100%...I can't undertand how anybody could possibly think it was Keith" etc. All I can say is in spite of the strong opinions of some that it is definitely Jagger, there are apparently quite a few others who feel it could be Keith. So, obviously the answer is not as cut-and-dried as some would like to believe. Anybody else want to weigh in with their opinion?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-26 21:34 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 26, 2010 11:31

>> Maybe it's me but their voices are quite different and recognizable, it's hard not to notice right away who's singing. <<

in fact all that means (no matter who says it - i don't mean to pick on whoever it is i'm quoting)
is "whenever it sounds just like my idea of Glimmer A's voice, it sounds just like my idea of Glimmer A's voice".

i too believe i have very fine-tuned Keith Receptors, and the voice at the start of Winter sounds like the Mick to me.
but i think this is a lot like the "who wrote what" questions: our strong beliefs can be totally wrong.
the Glimmer Twins are very good at sounding alike when they want to

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: December 26, 2010 13:27

100% Jagger. I can see (hear?) why people think it could be Keith - the phrasing, etc. - but, to me it's classic Jagger. Remember, they used to sing a lot together in those days. You do adjust your timing and phrasing to that of the other person when you sing with them a lot, in my experience, so you do start sounding like each other in some ways.

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: December 26, 2010 17:02

100% Jagger

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 26, 2010 17:28

Van Morrison lost brother...kidding... it's Mick Jagger.

- Doxa

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: December 26, 2010 18:06

TornAndFried
I was listening to "Winter" today getting into the Christmas mood, and was wondering who is doing the opening vocal lines (Oh, ohhhh...wah, na, na, la, etc...) after the guitar intro. Is that Keith? Sure sounds like it.

It's definitely without a doubt Mick Jagger, just listened again - this is my favorite Stones tune, never thought anybody else was singing the opening.

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 26, 2010 20:23

funny, this seems to me like asking whether it's mick jagger playing the lead guitar on "Star Star." It's epistemologically possible, but it would never occur to me.

it also would be unusual for keith (or anyone) to lay down vocals on the track just for a couple of bars at the opening, before the song really even starts. On a track like "Sway," where he sings but doesn't play, he does a backing vocal throughout the song.

if keith plays on "Winter," what does he play? The consensus here has been that it's jagger on the rhythm guitar, and the bass sounds like bill to me (one of the reasons the track stands out nicely on the album, I think). And I think there's just the 2 guitars, the rhythm and the taylor-anza.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 26, 2010 20:38

Frosty the Snowman

Posted by: milliondollarsad ()
Date: December 26, 2010 22:29

"it also would be unusual for keith (or anyone) to lay down vocals on the track just for a couple of bars at the opening, before the song really even starts. On a track like "Sway," where he sings but doesn't play, he does a backing vocal throughout the song."

Yes although Sway and Time Waits For No One both have choruses in which it'd be more natural for him to blend in. I've always thought that one of the reasons that a Keith background vocal would pop up on those songs where he was mainly absent (besides the fact that he was a great background singer in those days) was that it provided some continuity. Made it sound like The Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-26 22:43 by milliondollarsad.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 26, 2010 22:52

They used some leftover tape of Brian Jones warbling incoherently into a microphone during the Beggars Banquet sessions and tacked it onto Winter.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 26, 2010 23:47

I have never come across a Stones song with a vocal mystery to it as to it be Mick or Keith. This is clearly Jagger doing some awful vocal waggle - because there's nothing else going on perhaps. Keith has never done something that goofy.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 27, 2010 00:10

Yoko Ono?

Date: December 27, 2010 00:17

There is also another possiblility nobody has yet mentioned...the vocal in question belongs to Charlie. He seems to mumble whenever he speaks. Perhaps in Keith's absence he was coerced by Jimmy Miller into doing some scat-singing. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-27 00:25 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 27, 2010 05:46

I can distinctly hear mick's voice in that intro, no question for me.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: December 27, 2010 07:38

Mick said he was impersonating Van Morrison.

Date: December 27, 2010 11:04

That's interesting...that part does sound a lot like Van Morrison. I know "Astral Weeks" was released around that time, but I never knew Mick was a fan of Van.

Date: December 27, 2010 13:53

with sssoul
>> And did [Keith] play on Fingerprint File? <<

yep he sure did. and where are we getting the concept that he doesn't play on Winter, please?
("he wasn't at the initial sessions" doesn't mean he doesn't play on it at all)

He could have played bass, but obviously Jagger is playing the open G-guitar, and Taylor the lead guitar.

Date: December 27, 2010 13:54

To me, the intro of Winter is classic Jagger. Compare to the humming on Time Waits For No One. Same era, same campy stuff (which I like very much, btw smiling smiley )

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 27, 2010 14:49

>> He could have played bass <<

that's what i thought - thanks

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 27, 2010 15:59

DandelionPowderman
with sssoul
>> And did [Keith] play on Fingerprint File? <<

yep he sure did. and where are we getting the concept that he doesn't play on Winter, please?
("he wasn't at the initial sessions" doesn't mean he doesn't play on it at all)

He could have played bass, but obviously Jagger is playing the open G-guitar, and Taylor the lead guitar.

Open G guitar on Winter? That's standard tuning for sure.

Mathijs

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 27, 2010 18:48

TornAndFried
That's interesting...that part does sound a lot like Van Morrison. I know "Astral Weeks" was released around that time, but I never knew Mick was a fan of Van.

for what it's worth, I thought Astral Weeks was 1967. But he has other albums, too...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 27, 2010 19:30

TornAndFried

Astral Weeks came out in 1968.

Date: December 27, 2010 20:15

Gazza
TornAndFried

Astral Weeks came out in 1968.

Yes, of course. Don't know why I was thinking "Astral Weeks" came out in the early 70's.

I guess the final verdict on this subject is: The vocal part is Mick..trying to sound like Van Morrison...and ending up sounding a little like Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-28 01:55 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 28, 2010 01:25

It's sexy Mick for sure...Keith can't do that sexy thing.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: December 28, 2010 03:27

Another vote for MJ. And another vote for Winter being a really great song.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1637
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home