Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

are certain rolling stones songs overrated.
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 1, 2012 00:14

and are the band aware of this or not.

my own personal opinion is that some well known songs are overrated.

honky tonk women is good but nothing more.

satisfaction is good, not great.

start me up is better than average.

miss you is good at best.

its only rock and roll is good at best.

you got me rocking is below average.

tumbling dice, very good, but there is better.

you cant always get what you want, ok but there are far better ballads which could easily replace it.

and many more seem to be always played warhorses and well known songs to stones enthusiasts and casual fans alike.

personally i feel the casual fan has been mislead into believing some of these songs are the best, when there are so many more songs by the band which are just as good if not better.

many of these songs lie undetected by the casual fan, and many were even dismissed by the band themeselves, its well known jagger dosent have a high opinion of buttons, satanic, goats head soup, its only rock and roll etc, which is a pity as there are some great songs in those albums.

i feel there are so many songs which are underrated which would have been well received by the casual fan if they had been played more live.

i also think only 3 songs should be ever present at any stones gig.

brown sugar
paint it black
jumpin jack flash

also imagine if this list of songs had been played to death as warhorses instead of those that were,

she was hot
heartbreaker
torn and frayed
jigsaw puzzle
let it loose
no expectations
back street girl
citadel
love is strong
shattered

would the standard be the same, i think probably better.

any opinions welcome.

Re: are certain rolling stones songs overrated.
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 1, 2012 00:17

A lot of their songs are over-hated.

Posted by: salty ()
Date: December 1, 2012 00:18

Blimey! I sense an imminent flame war on the cards on this one!

Date: December 1, 2012 00:25

I wonder whether part of the problem is that we are overfamiliar with some of the warhorses and take them a bit for granted. Perhaps if we suffered from amnesia and could not remember ever having heard "Satisfaction" ever before then we would enjoy it more, but, as they say, familiarity breeds contempt.

Date: December 1, 2012 00:27

Certain Beatle songs are overrated...

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 1, 2012 00:34

I think the biggest problem is that people think that because they don't like something that's popular, it is "overrated". As if the problem is EVERYBODY, and not you yourself. I for instance can't stand "Beast Of Burden", but just because I don't like it doesn't mean it's overrated, as my personal taste isn't a measuring stick for how things should be rated.

All art is subjective, just because you think Honky Tonk Women is "good but nothing more" or that Satisfaction is "good, not great", that doesn't make it so. It's just an opinion. I'm not crazy about a lot of the war horses, but there's a reason they have stuck around for as long as they have, and its not because they're overrated. The public has spoken, and these songs are popular because the general consensus is that they're great songs. This makes those of us that don't like whatever song, in the minority.

Date: December 1, 2012 00:49

I think perhaps some of the later stuff is underrated because it is inevitably compared to the early "glory period".

If some new band came out of nowhere and made "Rough Justice" people would probably say it was fantastic but, because it's the Stones, people tend to go "not as good as Brown Sugar/Get Off Of My Cloud/Satisfaction etc".

Moreso than the Stones, acts that I believe are somewhat overrated are Van Morrison (Astral Weeks is NOT the greatest LP ever made as so many rock critics would have you believe - most of the tunes aren't even memorable, they just ramble on as if he making them up as he goes along), Brian Wilson (considering it took him 30 years to write "Smile" I'd expect a lot better quite frankly) and Springsteen (I don't mind Bruce but he is NOT Elvis, Dylan and Hendrix rolled into one, which he would have to be to live up to the hype).

Date: December 1, 2012 00:51

Nothing is overrated in the Stones.

Nothing.

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: December 1, 2012 01:09

buttons67
!!!! honky tonk women is the pedestal of their new era started jumping jack flash and beggars banquet. confused smiley

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 1, 2012 01:23

buttons67
its well known jagger dosent have a high opinion of buttons, satanic, goats head soup, its only rock and roll

The one album I've heard Mick consistently say is overrated is EXILE. I just heard him say it again here >>> [www.loc.gov]

pt 2 >>> [www.loc.gov]

(Old interview, but it was just recently released in full.)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 1, 2012 01:47

brown sugar
paint it black
jumpin jack flash

In that case, it would be a pretty predictable, and short gig. Prolly no fines mind you, for going overtime.

Date: December 1, 2012 02:32

buttons67

Listen to some of Mick's solo stuff and you will realise how good the songs you've mentioned are.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 1, 2012 02:35

salty
buttons67

Listen to some of Mick's solo stuff and you will realise how good the songs you've mentioned are.

hey! that's cheating! i think....

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 1, 2012 03:18

Overated? No.............Over played?....of course, as you say there are many other great Stones songs that are never/very rarely played.............confused smileyconfused smileyconfused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-01 03:19 by EddieByword.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: December 2, 2012 05:52

buttons67
and are the band aware of this or not.

tumbling dice, very good, but there is better.

you cant always get what you want, ok but there are far better ballads which could easily replace it.

and many more seem to be always played warhorses and well known songs to stones enthusiasts and casual fans alike.

personally i feel the casual fan has been mislead into believing some of these songs are the best, when there are so many more songs by the band which are just as good if not better.

many of these songs lie undetected by the casual fan, and many were even dismissed by the band themeselves, its well known jagger dosent have a high opinion of buttons, satanic, goats head soup, its only rock and roll etc, which is a pity as there are some great songs in those albums.

i feel there are so many songs which are underrated which would have been well received by the casual fan if they had been played more live.

brown sugar
paint it black
jumpin jack flash

also imagine if this list of songs had been played to death as warhorses instead of those that were,

she was hot
heartbreaker
torn and frayed
jigsaw puzzle
let it loose
no expectations
back street girl
citadel
love is strong
shattered

would the standard be the same, i think probably better.

any opinions welcome.

I would say, don't worry about thinking of these songs as overrated. Instead, think about how they made you feel the first time you heard them--that magic moment of music appreciation. Somewhere in the world right now some first-time fan is having their mind blown by one or more of these so-called warhorses and will remember exactly where they were and what they were doing the first time they heard it.

Posted by: adjeff8 ()
Date: December 2, 2012 06:40

Ive seen them 53 times in my life. If I never see It's only Rock and Roll, that would be Ok. Miss You should be dead and Burried. On the last tour when they did Shes so Cold I was dumbfounded. Worst Stones song ever. Waiting on a friend is awful. You got me rocking is subpar

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 2, 2012 07:37

It is all subjective. All of the songs listed I think are great songs. I've seen the band 17 times and I wish they would not play these songs at every show. But, listen to Miss You on the 78 Fort Worth show great performance. Honky Tonk Women is one of my all time faves. Its all what you like.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 2, 2012 10:08

I would discuss each track, but I'm not sure it makes sense to engage in a debate with someone who thinks "Satisfaction" is "good, not great".

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: December 2, 2012 10:48

I'd say certain Stones songs are rather overplayed not overrated.

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: December 2, 2012 13:04

Honky Tonk Women has got to be played in my opinion - all time classic PLUS DEFO Satisfaction - I would have liked to hear the latter played as the opener on the 25th but I am not complaining whatever they wish to play (it was brilliant to hear I Wanna Be Your Man, I must admit although it was a surprise opener for me.
Other classics I personally would like included are Ruby Tuesday, As Tears Go By, Let it Loose, Tell Me, Honest I do... blimey I could go on and on... we all have our personal favourites - I am not really crazy about Miss You or Tumblin' Dice which they nearly always seem to do.
You see, I don't suppose we would want them to play the same songs at every gig but some people will moan whatever they do -
I think we are very lucky that the Stones are still performing and I am happy to still be able to see the greatest band ever "live".

Star

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home