Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Why was KR so upset by the review they got in 2007?,
Posted by: RSforever ()
Date: August 29, 2012 23:05

..and what impact do events like this, happening during the last tour, have on any future plans...

Sorry if this has been debated several times before,

[www.popeater.com]

Too me it was a bit strange that he was so upset about it, for sure the stones must at least a few times during their career have had some bad reviews, right?
Or, is it so, that they have actually never had a bad review for their musical performances before? (..know they have been banned for many other things)
I figure, he took it extremely personal, ..and the review was very much aimed directly at him.
Although I think he knew the the journalist was actually right in some ways, and that he did not live up to his earlier standards!
Thats why he took it so hard. For him it must have been extremely embarassing, given the legend/fact of him beeing the musical backbone of RS etc, etc..
So it all probably hit him in his weakest spot, ..who knew the stones would care about what a small Swedish newspaper writes anyway?..

Since the end of the last tour, and the Martin Scorsese thing, KR has hardly been seen - musically. (not talking about book promotions and studio things on old stuff etc..) It's only been a few times with him on stage holding a guitar, and these few times he has looked and sounded quite lost..

So what does that mean, has he actually lost his talent?..

OK, if I was KR I would be dead scared to perform with the stones again, knowing how some of the shows turned out towards the end of the last tour,
what if these things would repeat? This is porbably why nothing has happend lately.. Another thing, is him being such a great fan of Chuck Berry and seeing how that has ended with age, ..I don't think he would like to end up in that kind of embarrassment. I think this is it!, ..he thinks - why take the risk to further ruin his legendary status? He is probably the reason for nothing happening with the stones, doesn't matter what is stated officialy, etc.

Now, I think that most fans of RS do love them not only for their music, but also for just them being the stones. For me personally, being a huge fan of RS and KR, I would not think less of KR if he came forward and informed that;
Unfortuenately, due to his arthritis, braind damage from the palm tree fall (or shrub, whatever it was..) or simply due to age and hard living or whatever the reason may be, he just cannot do it anymore, if this is the case???
I would even like him more for beeing human and honest! I would even pay to see him on stage, - just trying his best, or even just standing there,
if thats what it would be, knowing the legend he really is!

Unfortuenately tough, I doubt the stones will ever perform togeather again, sadly.

By the way, I did see the consert in Gothenburg 2007, that was reviewed, and I actually didn't recognize them, having seen them many times before,
..it was quite lame and KR actually did get lost quite frequently, although, I absolutely do not defend this Markus Larson, who I think may be an idiot?, he wrote about things he really didn't understand, probably..

Any thoughts?

Re: Why was KR so upset by the review they got in 2007?,
Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 29, 2012 23:29

Never mind the concert, I wasn't there and can't comment though Keith playing badly was hardly unusual on that 2007 tour. What I really find lame here is the disgusting behaviour of KR three years later according to this article. "You're lucky to get out of here alive." Yeah, big words from an old man with his body guard next to him. Pathetic. That's what a lifetime of drink and drugs do for you - he's never grown up. At least in the 70s he was too dazed to say anything. The more we get to know Keith Richards the less appealing he is.

Date: August 29, 2012 23:59

Judging by these actions, I actually find him being a quite fragile person, He appears to have been depely heart by this! I think he may have lost confidence in him self then totally.., and maybe that feeling is still there? Some have previously suggested that it is MJ is the boss, and possibly he wants to first find out if KR can still do it or not, and so on, before givning it another go. Although, I think it may KR him self that needs to find out if he is still capable, and I think he may have some serious doubts?.. (..if he at all has some selfperception after all years of beeing idolized, maybe not?.)
Although, it would explain why he is the one only one that is never doing anything anymore, while the other three are.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 30, 2012 00:07

Settling disputes with fists (or blades?)....

Pathetic.

Keith really is hard to like sometimes.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 30, 2012 00:49

rebelrebel
Never mind the concert, I wasn't there and can't comment though Keith playing badly was hardly unusual on that 2007 tour. What I really find lame here is the disgusting behaviour of KR three years later according to this article. "You're lucky to get out of here alive." Yeah, big words from an old man with his body guard next to him. Pathetic. That's what a lifetime of drink and drugs do for you - he's never grown up. At least in the 70s he was too dazed to say anything. The more we get to know Keith Richards the less appealing he is.

I think it's hilarious when fans call out Keith's obnoxious, petty behavior by themselves also being obnoxious and petty.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: August 30, 2012 00:57

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 30, 2012 01:29

RSforever
Sorry if this has been debated several times before

Yes, it has been debated several times before. But don't worry, there are always people who love to debate it again.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: August 30, 2012 01:34

great post! really funny characterizations and comments!

who knows what the truth is...funny thing, I happen to be in Sweden at the moment, typing away on the netbook with "coming down again" playing, and trying to decide if GHS is more than half-decent...still not sure...has its charms! Not sure this eight minute dirge is one of them...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 30, 2012 01:53

The journalist angle on this was that the tabloid (Aftonbladet) wanted Markus to, so to say, smoke the calumet with Keith. However this didn't work out because Markus didn't master the situation (or the language). So it ended like a farce. It made the headlines anyway because of Keith's "slap" on Markus' head. Not the way they have intended it to work out though. But you can't always get what you want...

Date: August 30, 2012 02:05

I still think that his reaction to all this is quite interesting!

The fact that he originally wrote a letter to this newspaper in 2007 asking for an appology. Although, even more interesting that he after 3 years still remembers and is still so upset about it... Why should he care at all, it doesn't matter at all what review they got three years earlier, unless this really had a major impact on his self confidence as a guitar player? ..he even recently in some interview said that he doesn't really consider him self as real guitarist (maybe taken out of context some what, but anyway) - quite amazing statement considering that this is what he has been doing all of his life..

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 30, 2012 02:08

RSforever
I still think that his reaction to all this is quite interesting!

The fact that he originally wrote a letter to this newspaper in 2007 asking for an appology. Although, even more interesting that he after 3 years still remembers and is still so upset about it... Why should he care at all, it doesn't matter at all what review they got three years earlier, unless this really had a major impact on his self confidence as a guitar player? ..he even recently in some interview said that he doesn't really consider him self as real guitarist (maybe taken out of context some what, but anyway) - quite amazing statement considering that this is what he has been doing all of his life..

He's evolved into a 'Will Rogers' type character. The fact that the word "Keithisms" is in the vernacular and there are books about "What Would Keith Richards Do/Say (can't remember the exact title)" just about sums it up.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 30, 2012 02:18

The only reason he reacted to the review in the first place was that someone from EMA-Telstar translated the text for him. otherwise it would have gone unnoticed.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: August 30, 2012 02:25

I love Keith, but I also have a deep respect for musicians who acknowledge when they're not at the top of their game and either call it a day, work to get better or try a new musical direction.

Sadly Keith has chosen to do none of these things and it breaks my heart to be honest.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 30, 2012 02:50

Stoneage
The only reason he reacted to the review in the first place was that someone from EMA-Telstar translated the text for him. otherwise it would have gone unnoticed.

Agreed, we should be keeping Keith in the dark about such matters.

Date: August 30, 2012 03:56

RSforever
..and what impact do events like this, happening during the last tour, have on any future plans...

[www.popeater.com]

Too me it was a bit strange that he was so upset about it, for sure the stones must at least a few times during their career have had some bad reviews, right?
Or, is it so, that they have actually never had a bad review for their musical performances before? (..know they have been banned for many other things)
I figure, he took it extremely personal, ..and the review was very much aimed directly at him.
Although I think he knew the the journalist was actually right in some ways, and that he did not live up to his earlier standards!
Thats why he took it so hard. For him it must have been extremely embarassing, given the legend/fact of him beeing the musical backbone of RS etc, etc..
So it all probably hit him in his weakest spot, ..who knew the stones would care about what a small Swedish newspaper writes anyway?..

Since the end of the last tour, and the Martin Scorsese thing, KR has hardly been seen - musically. (not talking about book promotions and studio things on old stuff etc..) It's only been a few times with him on stage holding a guitar, and these few times he has looked and sounded quite lost..

OK, if I was KR I would be dead scared to perform with the stones again, knowing how some of the shows turned out towards the end of the last tour,
what if these things would repeat? This is porbably why nothing has happend lately.. Another thing, is him being such a great fan of Chuck Berry and seeing how that has ended with age, ..I don't think he would like to end up in that kind of embarrassment. I think this is it!, ..he thinks - why take the risk to further ruin his legendary status? He is probably the reason for nothing happening with the stones, doesn't matter what is stated officialy, etc.

Now, I think that most fans of RS do love them not only for their music, but also for just them being the stones. For me personally, being a huge fan of RS and KR, I would not think less of KR if he came forward and informed that;
Unfortuenately, due to his arthritis, braind damage from the palm tree fall (or shrub, whatever it was..) or simply due to age and hard living or whatever the reason may be, he just cannot do it anymore, if this is the case???
I would even like him more for beeing human and honest! I would even pay to see him on stage, - just trying his best, or even just standing there,

Unfortuenately tough, I doubt the stones will ever perform togeather again, sadly.

By the way, I did see the consert in Gothenburg 2007, that was reviewed, and I actually didn't recognize them, having seen them many times before,
..it was quite lame and KR actually did get lost quite frequently, although, I absolutely do not defend this Markus Larson, who I think may be an idiot?, he wrote about things he really didn't understand, probably..

Any thoughts?

Reminds me of the words Howard Cosell spoke about Muhammad Ali right before he fought George Foreman in Zaire in 1974. Ali was sitting right next to Cosell when Howard basically gave Ali's obituary (as a fighter) to the sporting world. I was laughing then, and I am laughing now. And Keith will soon have the last laugh. I do respect your sincerity though, you really do sound concerned. So did Howard. Nobody loved Muhammad Ali more than Howard Cosell. Keith is going to be just fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-30 04:02 by MightyStonesStillRollin50.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 30, 2012 06:00

If I remember well Keith was upset that the journalist bashed the band. Keith stood up to defend the other musicians because Richards thought that the band had played a decent show.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: August 30, 2012 06:50

MightyStonesStillRollin50

Reminds me of the words Howard Cosell spoke about Muhammad Ali right before he fought George Foreman in Zaire in 1974. Ali was sitting right next to Cosell when Howard basically gave Ali's obituary (as a fighter) to the sporting world. I was laughing then, and I am laughing now. And Keith will soon have the last laugh. I do respect your sincerity though, you really do sound concerned. So did Howard. Nobody loved Muhammad Ali more than Howard Cosell. Keith is going to be just fine.

So who's George Foreman to Keith's Ali? Athritis? Father Time? Both?? Comparatively tougher competition than Foreman for a 69-year-old.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: August 30, 2012 07:43

rollmops
If I remember well Keith was upset that the journalist bashed the band. Keith stood up to defend the other musicians because Richards thought that the band had played a decent show.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Did you listen to the clip at all?

There's no need to try to remember the spin.... listen to what the MAN (that's Keith) says in his own words when face to face with the "coward"...

"he hates ME". "He always writes bad things about ME"

ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME...... etc...

absolutely NOTHING about "the band" or "the other musicians".

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 30, 2012 09:15

He was caught in the act playing like the old man that he is....he didn't liked that fact being published...smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: August 30, 2012 09:40

Richards has to be the toughest guy in rock, guns, blades, so tough he even pulled a knife on Billy Preston because he played to loud and drowned out poor Keef, yes Keith, it is all about you.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: August 30, 2012 09:51

It was a great concert and the reviewer wrote of alot of crap like, ''only at Midnight Rambler they don't play like amateurs'' and ''they don't deserve the cheers from the audience''. He also gave many songs 1 out of 5 without reason.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 30, 2012 10:14

TheBlockbuster
It was a great concert and the reviewer wrote of alot of crap like, ''only at Midnight Rambler they don't play like amateurs'' and ''they don't deserve the cheers from the audience''. He also gave many songs 1 out of 5 without reason.

So what, he got the right to give every song 0 out of 5 without reason. If we don't like it we better read another reviewers writing...

2 1 2 0

Date: August 30, 2012 10:19

RSforever

[www.popeater.com]

Any thoughts?

The review in Sweden was mainly based on a different gig (Finland), when Keith supposedly was dehydrated, and had some problems.

The reviewer reported that Keith was "dead drunk" in Sweden, and that the gig was so bad that he asked the question "Are you taking the piss at me, Keith"?

As the gig in Sweden wasn't that bad at all, Keith posted an answer to the newspaper.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 30, 2012 10:52

Justin
rebelrebel

I think it's hilarious when fans call out Keith's obnoxious, petty behavior by themselves also being obnoxious and petty.

I've never hit anyone in my adult life, not that you know me from Adam.

Date: August 30, 2012 10:53

Yeah.. there was a Scandinavian concert where Keith was "supposedly dehydrated".

I believe more than a few people thought the show was not one of their best.

Date: August 30, 2012 11:08

GravityBoy
Yeah.. there was a Scandinavian concert where Keith was "supposedly dehydrated".

I believe more than a few people thought the show was not one of their best.

True, but taking for granted he would be in the same shape the show after, when he wasn't, is really, really bad journalism.

Anyways, Markus Larsson (the reviewer) is a dork.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 30, 2012 12:57

TheBlockbuster

It was an honest review and Keith couldnt handle it. Mick proabably had a talk with Keith after Helsinki and Stockholm and Keith took it out on the critic.

Date: August 30, 2012 13:08

Redhotcarpet
TheBlockbuster

It was an honest review and Keith couldnt handle it. Mick proabably had a talk with Keith after Helsinki and Stockholm and Keith took it out on the critic.

Did you read it? He falsely based some of the review on second hand information (an old friend of Keith's, who said he was dead drunk - but apparantely was joking).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-30 13:09 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 30, 2012 13:10

Keith definitely having a bad night.

Date: August 30, 2012 13:11

GravityBoy
Keith definitely having a bad night.

That was the show before!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home