Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mixing Consul Outputs.
Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: November 16, 2012 08:01

If I was to plug a digital voice recorder into a normal mixing board, what sort of connection or output jack is the most common. Will the recorder be able to get a decent recording or would it be better to use an external mike to capture a better recording of a gig. I am going to a concert and a guy I know will be mixing and I have never tried a direct recording from a desk.

Re: Mixing Consul Outputs.
Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: November 16, 2012 08:25

You want the "line out" output on the mixing desk. Common sockets are xlr, 6.5mm or 1/4" phone, & some even have good old RCA's.

You then have to connect to your recorder. DO NOT plug into your "microphone in", the signal from the desk is too high for this & will cause distortion. You need a "line in" input on your recorder, if you don't have one you need some sort of "input attenuator" (getting a bit tricky here) which will lower the signal to match your recorder.

You're also going to have to watch the input levels on your recorder to make sure the signal is not to hot (high). In the old days of analogue tape recording you could let the signal just touch the red, & if you were using chrome tapes the recommendation was to be just in the red constantly. Digital recording is unforgiving. If you go into the red, it will distort.

Date: November 16, 2012 09:22

Sounds like I need a couple of practice runs to get it right, I need to know what sort of board they will be using, that should help, I haven't got the recorder yet, I don't want to spend more than about $150 au, I wont be using it that much, any suggestions, I would like a decent built in microphone but I am leaning towards getting a set of binaurals to plug in.

Date: November 16, 2012 17:02

I'd really check out the Zoom range. I've got the H4n, but it's overkill for what I need. I've seen the H1 in action & they're brilliant, I see Cranbourne Music has it for $139 with free delivery in Oz

[www.cranbournemusic.com.au]

Posted by: strettonbull ()
Date: November 16, 2012 21:05

Is this for 25th or 29th?

Date: November 17, 2012 01:50

strettonbull
Is this for 25th or 29th?

Plugging into the Stones desk? If only....Shows how brilliant the Dead were for allowing their fans to do just that.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: November 17, 2012 01:54

If your mates the sound engineer then he'll know how to set it up for you.

Date: November 18, 2012 02:56

It's a guy I know, not a mate but he should let me do it, its actually for a Living End gig, those in Australia will know who they are, they have a great guitar player called Chris Cheney.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: November 18, 2012 04:12

Email me if you need detailed info.. drake@hatfieldmedia.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2089
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home