Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

stuff for new album
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 12, 2010 20:28

IMO this is great stuff to work on for next album:

1. Living in the harder love

2. Lonely at the tops

3. Do You Think I Really Care (aka Yellow Cab)

3. Some People tell me

4. Criss Cross Mind

5. Not the way to go

6. Breakin’ (max 4 min.)

or… You got it made

7. Misty Roads

8. You Should Have Seen Her Ass

9. What Are You Gonna Do (With My Love)

10. Fast Talking, Slow Walking

Re: stuff for new album
Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: December 12, 2010 20:31

hm, yes, but i think they should release that planned but scrapped album from 1999

Date: December 12, 2010 20:36

I don´t think Mick and Keith would put in their solo work on the next album, especially not Lonely At The Top, that Jagger released in 1985.

However, there are many good songs in there that they definitely should work on, imo.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 12, 2010 20:38

I wouldn't mind them throwing in one song of goofy humor like SOMETHING HAPPENED TO ME or COOL, CALM AND COLLECTED. I was just listening to those two songs yesterday in my car and having a ball.

Date: December 12, 2010 20:52

DandelionPowderman
I don´t think Mick and Keith would put in their solo work on the next album, especially not Lonely At The Top, that Jagger released in 1985.

However, there are many good songs in there that they definitely should work on, imo.

...has shown how it can distort and ruin a good outtake eye rolling smiley

Date: December 13, 2010 11:51

i've forgotten this great instrumental outtake:

A different kind

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: December 13, 2010 13:47

I've never heard Fast talking, slow walking before - which was rather great. I really look forward to the GHS-super-mega-deluxe boxset. The softer material after exile until Ron entered fulltime is really interesting.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 13, 2010 15:03

Oh please. 35-40 year old leftovers? If they're that bereft of ideas - after only having made ONE new album in the last 14 years - they may as well throw in the towel and have some dignity.

Are Stones fans that desperate that they seriously consider this a reasonable option?

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: December 13, 2010 15:06

Fantastic compilation KRiffhard!!! I really like it.

Date: December 13, 2010 16:31

Gazza
Oh please. 35-40 year old leftovers? If they're that bereft of ideas - after only having made ONE new album in the last 14 years - they may as well throw in the towel and have some dignity.

Are Stones fans that desperate that they seriously consider this a reasonable option?[/[/b]quote]

Yes, if the alternative is to work on stuff from ABB session

Date: December 13, 2010 16:54

This could be their last studio album and should be a great album.
They must do this for their fans and would be a great gift.
So I think the only way to get another 'Tattoo You' is to work on old stuff, especially on 70's sessions, otherwise the risk is to hear other 'Streets of Love' and similar rubbish.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 13, 2010 17:14

No 3 sounds like "stop breaking down" to me.
A different kind sounds kind of sunny.

The rest:throw it in the trash, no inspiration.

Date: December 13, 2010 17:20

Amsterdamned

...with your point of view there would never be 'Tattoo you'!

Date: December 13, 2010 19:12

KRiffhard

Who said it was? There were no completed tracks left over from ABB. How about they (gasp) write some new songs?

Date: December 13, 2010 19:14

KRiffhard
Amsterdamned

Tattoo You used songs that were mostly 2-4 years old, not 2-4 decades old.

Barrel scraping of the worst kind. The Stones would be a musical laughing stock if they did something like this.

These songs were left off albums (and werent considered for the albums that followed) for a very good reason. They werent very good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-13 19:15 by Gazza.

Date: December 13, 2010 19:28

Gazza
KRiffhard

Who said it was? There were no completed tracks left over from ABB. How about they (gasp) write some new songs?

...unfortunately it seems that there is something

Keef: “Mick and I spoke about a month ago in New York. It's at that mumbling stage. But I had some outtakes from the last sessions we did [for 'A Bigger Bang'] and said, 'Just to jog your memory...'

...surely they can write new songs but in this case I don't think we can expect a great album. I hope I'm wrong

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 13, 2010 20:24

KRiffhard
Amsterdamned

not really.....eye rolling smiley

Date: December 13, 2010 21:08

KRiffhard
Gazza
KRiffhard

...unfortunately it seems that there is something

Keef: “Mick and I spoke about a month ago in New York. It's at that mumbling stage. But I had some outtakes from the last sessions we did [for 'A Bigger Bang'] and said, 'Just to jog your memory...'

...surely they can write new songs but in this case I don't think we can expect a great album. I hope I'm wrong

..and they (and Don Was) said when ABB came out that there were no completed songs left over. The 2 songs used for the ABB expanded edition were all that were finished.

If they're now saying they have 'outtakes', then theyre little more than sketches or ideas for songs. And the quote refers to ideas that KEITH had - and his songwriting contribution to ABB was relatively minimal.

You're talking about bits of songs that are now six years old. Seriously, how difficult can it be for a band with three experienced songwriters to come up with a dozen songs in that period of time?

If any band's songwriting chops have diminished to that level, then its time they admitted defeat. However, I'd be pretty confident they'll have accumulated enough material between them in that time to churn another half decent record out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-13 21:10 by Gazza.

Date: December 13, 2010 23:38

..and they (and Don Was) said when ABB came out that there were no completed songs left over. The 2 songs used for the ABB expanded edition were all that were finished.

If they're now saying they have 'outtakes', then theyre little more than sketches or ideas for songs. And the quote refers to ideas that KEITH had - and his songwriting contribution to ABB was relatively minimal.

You're talking about bits of songs that are now six years old. Seriously, how difficult can it be for a band with three experienced songwriters to come up with a dozen songs in that period of time?

If any band's songwriting chops have diminished to that level, then its time they admitted defeat. However, I'd be pretty confident they'll have accumulated enough material between them in that time to churn another half decent record out.[/quote]

You're right Gazza. I don't question their ability to write songs and i've no doubt that they'll make a decent record. The point is this: if we are content with a record consisting of with 2 or 3 good songs and some useless filler, the argument is finished. But I wish that great album that is missing from 'Tattoo You' and imo the only way for this to happen is that they also work on stuff from old sessions. I think there is still a lot of material to be discovered...

Date: December 13, 2010 23:54

Thats where we disagree. I dont necessarily see that material as having the potential to be turned into anything special - most of that is stuff that even now they should be capable of throwing together in their sleep - and the ridicule heaped on them for digging out 30-40 year old leftovers and trying to pass it off as 'fresh' material would be immense and fully deserved. They'd be an utter joke in the music industry. If they cant throw together an album of new songs that are worth a damn, then a more preferable alternative would be a covers project.

I actually liked ABB. I still think they have a good record in them. Maybe not a 'great' one, but still better than what most bands would be capable of. And thats OK and not much to ask for. It doesnt bother me that they may be incapable of putting out a record as good as Tattoo You, let alone Exile or Let It Bleed, because I think its asking a lot from a group of men in their late 60s who have been more of a corporation than a 'band' for the last decade or two, who hardly ever see each other or work together and who really dont have the muse or desire to spend much time making records anymore as artistic creativity takes more effort and makes a lot less money than the much more lucrative alternative of nostalgia. Its also a lofty expectation to expect or demand great records from a band just because they set such high standards with classic releases in the past -because that past was a very very long time ago.

Theyve already seen in the last year that there's a bit of mileage in archives when the project is done properly. Thats the avenue they should explore with these leftovers. NOT trying to discover something wonderful in 30 year old sketches that werent wonderful to begin with and then trying to kid the public that its something fresh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-13 23:56 by Gazza.

Date: December 14, 2010 00:40

Gazza
Thats where we disagree. I dont necessarily see that material as having the potential to be turned into anything special - most of that is stuff that even now they should be capable of throwing together in their sleep - and the ridicule heaped on them for digging out
leftovers and trying to pass it off as 'fresh' material would be immense and fully deserved. They'd be an utter joke in the music industry. If they cant throw together an album of new songs that are worth a damn, then a more preferable alternative would be a covers project.

I actually liked ABB. I still think they have a good record in them. Maybe not a 'great' one, but still better than what most bands would be capable of. And thats OK and not much to ask for. It doesnt bother me that they may be incapable of putting out a record as good as Tattoo You, let alone Exile or Let It Bleed, because I think its asking a lot from a group of men in their late 60s who have been more of a corporation than a 'band' for the last decade or two, who hardly ever see each other or work together and who really dont have the muse or desire to spend much time making records anymore as artistic creativity takes more effort and makes a lot less money than the much more lucrative alternative of nostalgia. Its also a lofty expectation to expect or demand great records from a band just because they set such high standards with classic releases in the past -because that past was a very very long time ago.

Theyve already seen in the last year that there's a bit of mileage in archives when the project is done properly. Thats the avenue they should explore with these leftovers. NOT trying to discover something wonderful in 30 year old sketches that werent wonderful to begin with and then trying to kid the public that its something fresh.

...thats where we disagree!smiling smiley I dont like ABB and i think that if they used that stuff they could make a really great album without kidding anyone. I respect your opinion but I would not hear another ABB with 'Goddess' or 'Old habits' Influence.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 14, 2010 02:29

GetYerAngie
I've never heard Fast talking, slow walking before - which was rather great. I really look forward to the GHS-super-mega-deluxe boxset. The softer material after exile until Ron entered fulltime is really interesting.

One of there best never released songs IMO

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 14, 2010 03:20

no more new albums. please. i can't take it anymore.

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: December 14, 2010 04:07

NICOS
GetYerAngie

One of there best never released songs IMO

100% Agree. I like this song a lot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home