Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Plundered My Soul Revisited
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 11, 2010 20:49

24FPS
I would love to hear the reaction of Keith, or Mick, if you told them the best thing about PM was Bill, and thanking them for reminding them how great Bill was. I would also like to see the looks on their faces before they sputtered and came up with some awkward reply.

why? they never denied bill was great. bill left, they didn't kick him out

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 11, 2010 21:42

This version is BY FAR the best one (musically and visually grinning smiley), and differs from both the single and the Exile Bonus CD version:

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 12, 2010 00:22

How is that one different from the single mix? More backing vox? It certainly has what seems the same amount of Mick Taylor in it as the single mix.

Can one get the single version at iTunes? Is it available anywhere for download?

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: December 12, 2010 06:14

What the hell is that stripper video from?

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 12, 2010 06:22

'why? they never denied bill was great. bill left, they didn't kick him out' - Leonid P

They've always given faint praise, if any. I don't remember Mick admitting Bill was great. Even in Keith's autobio he still digs in with trying to get Bill's amp without having to take Bill. He said Bill played good with Charlie, not that Bill was good for the Rolling Stones. Keith has a bug up his ass about Bill, still. I don't think he ever accepted Bill was just as much a Rolling Stone as Keith was, where it really mattered, the music. Keith seems pissed that Bill wasn't a drug addict like he was. Keith compared Mick and Bill's tail hunting activities and said he knew Mick would be pissed to be compared to Bill. We know they were petty when they released the Rarities CD with Bill airbrushed out of the cover photo that he was obviously in.

Bill left after Steel Wheels. Like his bass playing, good timing.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 12, 2010 07:31

Keith is a bug up a bug's ass. He's a rude immature and inconsiderate person who will never give praise where it is truth - he's always after the stupid myth. Keith is a big cry baby who played guitar madly. That's it. Bill was a million times better bass player than Keith ever will be. Bill was the smart one. Keith has proven that he is not.

"Bill left after Steel Wheels. Like his bass playing, good timing."

Indeed.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 12, 2010 10:29

I love the iTunes video of Plundered My Soul. Brilliant! And really gives the impression there are a lot of great longer length films from Exile. I love how the camera flies in ala Free As a Bird...and morphs in and out of different frames from the cover. Wonderfully fun!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 12, 2010 11:56

mickjagger1009

it's from the film Femme Fatale: [www.imdb.com]
pretty amusing how it fits the track - is that your own work, kleermaker?

Posted by: Ferret ()
Date: December 12, 2010 15:36

Great song, probably my favourite they've released since Thru & Thru, it's a real good Stones rocker, and not in the hackneyed way of Rough Justice or You Got Me Rockin'. I like how it starts, with that cool Mick Taylor riff, and you can hear the Stones just sorta shuffling into the song in their own time.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 12, 2010 16:11

whitem8
Now the dust has settled a bit. Time has gone on, the world still is turding. And then there is Plundered My Soul. Hit the US Billboard top 200 and peaked at No. 2. The Stones are now the only act to have released a No. 1 UK Album and then hit No. 1 again with the same album 40 years later. Now this is classic stones that frustrates, exasperates, inspires, and captivates. Their grand opus re-released in a souped up version. The commercial circus that got everyone chiming in. A box set that could have been so much more! Was seemingly shoddily slapped together, yet brought Mick out of a creative hibernation by finally connecting with his past. But that same quest for youth had him tinkering with history! Creating a bridge to his youth.
So? What about it? How are you liking Plundered My Soul Now? The infectious guitar lick that gets your foot tapping and that slanted smile on your face. Yeah "they are back!". It is a great song and I hope they continue down this vein on their next album. How's it sitting with you all out there now the dust has settled?

I'm agree with you. But they should working on stuff from 70's sessions.

Date: December 12, 2010 16:15

with sssoul
mickjagger1009

it's from the film Femme Fatale: [www.imdb.com]
pretty amusing how it fits the track - is that your own work, kleermaker?

I searched for 'femme fatal' on YT, not knowing of any movie with that title, but hoping to find some video that would fit the song, and very fast I stumbled across a video with just the apt material. Then I only had to edit it a bit.

Btw: the girl has Dutch parents, which makes her even more aptwinking smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-12 16:32 by kleermaker.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 12, 2010 17:49

Kleermaker: Behave!

The best Stones song since TWFNW imo

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 12, 2010 18:21

Skip - Keith does seem petty these days and should praise Bill. Perhaps he is still mad that Bill left off his own accord and they have not sounded quite the same since but hey I still luv the guy! He is very unique.

As far as Plundered My Soul goes I still really like it!

Date: December 12, 2010 18:37

Keith is missing the good old times with Bill and Taylor, like he has said himself. We can't blame him for that 'cause real fans miss those two too.

Date: December 12, 2010 19:18

Come on, kleermaker! You are the only one that interprets that interview this way grinning smiley

Date: December 12, 2010 19:33

DandelionPowderman
Come on, kleermaker! You are the only one that interprets that interview this way grinning smiley

I'm just taking the words of your hero serious without interpreting. He wasn't ironic when he said that. Too many people interpret too much. I have no reason not to believe that he meant what he said. I still remember the look on his face when he talked about these guys. He looked so nostalgic, even a bit ... sentimental. Keith isn't and never was 'cool', like so many fans think. He was most of the time a junky and an addict. Those people generally are very sensitive and sentimental and absolutely not cool.

Date: December 12, 2010 20:42

Well, fair enough. Still, you are the only one putting that kind of weight on Keith´s words in that interview. Keith has said great things (with THAT look) about many musicians. That goes for Brian and Ronnie as well.

When push comes to shove, I don´t think he is the vulnerable, sentimental guy you describe him as. To stay this long in the music business you need to be sharp, hard and persistent - qualities he clearly have that I don´t think have decreased after Keith came clean.

Date: December 12, 2010 20:57

DandelionPowderman
Well, fair enough. Still, you are the only one putting that kind of weight on Keith´s words in that interview. Keith has said great things (with THAT look) about many musicians. That goes for Brian and Ronnie as well.

When push comes to shove, I don´t think he is the vulnerable, sentimental guy you describe him as. To stay this long in the music business you need to be sharp, hard and persistent - qualities he clearly have that I don´t think have decreased after Keith came clean.

After Keith got clean (not so long ago) there wasn't any reason left to be "sharp, hard and persistent". The race had already been run at that time. During the race Keith couldn't do without the drugs and booze. That says enough to me.

Btw: he was right about Brian if he said he was great as a musician, and if he said Ronnie was good he was right too, as far as the Faces are concerned. But as far as I know from the reports here he wasn't very positive about Ronnie in his book. Well, the great art of weaving blah blah, let's take those quotes of Keith with some grains of salt. They had to cover the musical loss and Keith knows that (didn't he refer to the golden age as well?).

Date: December 12, 2010 21:00

<Well, the great art of weaving blah blah, let's take those quotes of Keith with some grains of salt.><Kleermaker>

Didn't Keith invent this word called "weaving"?

Date: December 12, 2010 21:05

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

After Keith got clean (not so long ago) there wasn't any reason left to be "sharp, hard and persistent". The race had already been run at that time. During the race Keith couldn't do without the drugs and booze. That says enough to me.

Btw: he was right about Brian if he said he was great as a musician, and if he said Ronnie was good he was right too, as far as the Faces are concerned. But as far as I know from the reports here he wasn't very positive about Ronnie in his book. Well, the great art of weaving blah blah, let's take those quotes of Keith with some grains of salt. They had to cover the musical loss and Keith knows that (didn't he refer to the golden age as well?).

He also called Some Girls as good as Beggars Banquet.

My point is, he has said much more positive things about the two other guitar players in the Stones, and you start jumping the second he mentions Taylor in a favourable way.

Btw, there is no blah, blah about Beast Of Burden, one of my favourite songs - a top 10 single - and maybe the best example of weaving the Stones have done on record.

Date: December 12, 2010 21:06

Amsterdamned
<Well, the great art of weaving blah blah, let's take those quotes of Keith with some grains of salt.><Kleermaker>

LOL! are you serious? grinning smiley

Date: December 12, 2010 21:13

DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned

LOL! are you serious? grinning smiley

From Wiki: "Richards maintains that what he calls "guitar weaving"[18] emerged from this period, from listening to Jimmy Reed albums: "We listened to the teamwork, trying to work out what was going on in those records; how you could play together with two guitars and make it sound like four or five".

"Make two guitars sound like four or five", DP, not like one. I think you have to reconsider the 'weaving-concept' one more timegrinning smiley.

Date: December 12, 2010 21:23

LOL! Don´t play stupid. I never claimed that the two guitars should sound less than two guitars. The sound, however, should be one. The one of the song. The result of weaving is often that the unpredictability makes you think there are more guitars in there, though. But I´m sure you know this, kleermaker.

Weaving is an old word (just explaining for Amsterdamned here), and pretty common used when it comes to art forms as well (read painting, textiles etc.). To sum it up - a metaphor. Was Keith the first to use that metaphor in music - I dunno grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-12 21:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 12, 2010 21:29

<Weaving is an old word (just explaining for Amsterdamned here), and pretty common used when it comes to art forms as well (read painting, textiles etc.). To sum it up - a metaphor. Was Keith the first to use that metaphor in music - I dunno > <DP>

Thank's for setting that straight.
I like Keith jokes though. winking smiley

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 13, 2010 00:01

getting back to the track, it's never been established just how much was on the original tape that they worked up for the reissue.

I could easily accept that keith's guitar and the drums and bass have parts duplicated and repeated throughout the song, perhaps in different combinations to be less detectable and sound more natural. The original jam might have been a formless 1 or minutes.

anyone hear any repeated measures, say in the rhythm guitar?

I suppose it also hasn't been established firmly that it's keith playing the rhythm guitar. None of the band has any pre-2010 memories of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-13 00:02 by cc.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 13, 2010 04:52

24FPS
'why? they never denied bill was great. bill left, they didn't kick him out' - Leonid P

They've always given faint praise, if any. I don't remember Mick admitting Bill was great. Even in Keith's autobio he still digs in with trying to get Bill's amp without having to take Bill. He said Bill played good with Charlie, not that Bill was good for the Rolling Stones. Keith has a bug up his ass about Bill, still. I don't think he ever accepted Bill was just as much a Rolling Stone as Keith was, where it really mattered, the music. Keith seems pissed that Bill wasn't a drug addict like he was. Keith compared Mick and Bill's tail hunting activities and said he knew Mick would be pissed to be compared to Bill. We know they were petty when they released the Rarities CD with Bill airbrushed out of the cover photo that he was obviously in.

Bill left after Steel Wheels. Like his bass playing, good timing.

yeah, still Keith was the one that said he wasn't accepting that Bill resigned until he heard it from Bill himself. they also didn't make Daryl Jones a member of the band, thinking Bill might come back.... at least then, not sure why he's not an official member now, other than they would have to pay him more, i suppose.

And lastly, why the hangup over it? Maybe Keith didn't like him as much as the other Stones, so what? Not everybody likes everybody else. Hell, I am not sure that I would like Bill that much myself, if I knew him.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: December 13, 2010 07:32

i gave it a test by letting my father hear it. a man who is nearly 70 who for the most part does not use the internet and only listens to the early yrs of the band. and most important completely unaware of the exile re release hype. he actually refused to belive that it was a new song thinking that it was some lost b side

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 13, 2010 09:00

'And lastly, why the hangup over it? Maybe Keith didn't like him as much as the other Stones, so what? Not everybody likes everybody else. Hell, I am not sure that I would like Bill that much myself, if I knew him.' - LeonidP

I don't know, maybe it comes from being one of those losers that usually supports the underdog, and watches them lose. I always thought Bill was a good antidote to all the big egos around him. And as time went on I really began to listen to his bass and appreciated it more and more. And no matter how much they didn't seem to acknowledge him, he slowly made himself more and more indispensible. I can relate to that. And when Keith really needed help, when his selfish junkie ways got him busted, alone and sick in Toronto, Bill was the only Stone who stepped forward and got him some junk. True character will out.

Date: December 13, 2010 11:44

<I suppose it also hasn't been established firmly that it's keith playing the rhythm guitar. None of the band has any pre-2010 memories of it.>

Well, the line notes say Mick J., Keith and Mick T. on guitars. The acoustic sounds very much like Jagger, so then we're left with the open G-guitar which I'm sure was played by Keith.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 13, 2010 12:02

ghostryder13
i gave it a test by letting my father hear it. a man who is nearly 70 who for the most part does not use the internet and only listens to the early yrs of the band. and most important completely unaware of the exile re release hype. he actually refused to belive that it was a new song thinking that it was some lost b side

Very cool ghost! Very cool indeed. I can totally relate to that lost B-side feeling. That is it! Great way to describe when I first heard it. Yeah, there is a lot of mystery to this song. I mean does anyone have the original cut on a boot? I haven't seen it? So it is hard to peel away who is who and when is when. Which makes it that enigma of charm.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2069
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home