Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Plundered My Soul Revisited
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 11, 2010 06:02

Now the dust has settled a bit. Time has gone on, the world still is turding. And then there is Plundered My Soul. Hit the US Billboard top 200 and peaked at No. 2. The Stones are now the only act to have released a No. 1 UK Album and then hit No. 1 again with the same album 40 years later. Now this is classic stones that frustrates, exasperates, inspires, and captivates. Their grand opus re-released in a souped up version. The commercial circus that got everyone chiming in. A box set that could have been so much more! Was seemingly shoddily slapped together, yet brought Mick out of a creative hibernation by finally connecting with his past. But that same quest for youth had him tinkering with history! Creating a bridge to his youth.
So? What about it? How are you liking Plundered My Soul Now? The infectious guitar lick that gets your foot tapping and that slanted smile on your face. Yeah "they are back!". It is a great song and I hope they continue down this vein on their next album. How's it sitting with you all out there now the dust has settled?

Re: Plundered My Soul Revisited
Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: December 11, 2010 07:09

whitem8
...the world still is turding.

On that we definitely agree!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 11, 2010 08:13

Bill's incredible bass, and Mick Taylor's lead bubbling underneath.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: December 11, 2010 08:53

So far, so good! In other words, still loving it!

I am expecting Don Was to kick them into high gear next time out resulting in a return to greatness. PMS was just a preview of things to come.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 11, 2010 10:24

I still feel it is the best new Stones product since TATTOO YOU. The only song since "Waitin' On A Friend" that really that has that Stones X-factor that gets me every time I hear it. The special feel.

- Doxa

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 11, 2010 10:48

The Stones TF-factor.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-11 10:57 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 11, 2010 12:06

... all the newly-released tracks pass the whistle test for sure - i was even dreaming I Ain't Signifyin last night :E
and i real regularly put on the compilation i made of selections from that disk.
my compilation is a great great disk that shakes my tailfeather every time ... PMS isn't on it, though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-11 12:07 by with sssoul.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 11, 2010 12:36

10/10

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: December 11, 2010 14:10

That's an intriguing theory in New Yorker's article

“Plundered My Soul,” which was released as a single in advance of the reissue, is the best of the lot, with witchy backup vocals and nasty lyrics (one of the lines in the chorus is “I thought you wanted my money,” but at one point Jagger appears to sing “I @#$%& your woman for money”). No band has ever been this beautifully crass for this long."

"I @#$%& your woman for money" - it's obviously a hint to Anita thing during "Perfomance". Which means this song is devoted to Keith?
What do you think, does it make sense?

Read more [www.newyorker.com]

Date: December 11, 2010 14:15

with sssoul
... all the newly-released tracks pass the whistle test for sure - i was even dreaming I Ain't Signifyin last night :E
and i real regularly put on the compilation i made of selections from that disk.
my compilation is a great great disk that shakes my tailfeather every time ... PMS isn't on it, though

How diverse Stones fans are. PMS is the only one of my compilation.

Date: December 11, 2010 14:23

I´m not crazy about the different versions of ADTL, TD and SS. The alternate take on LC, however, is brilliant, imo.

PMS is ok, not much more than that. Some nice bass playing though, and I like the drive in the choruses. It didn´t take long before I got tired of the verses and the bridge. Taylor´s playing is pretty standard, without his usual passionate phrasing.

All in all a fairly good stones tune, imo.

Date: December 11, 2010 14:31

DandelionPowderman
I´m not crazy about the different versions of ADTL, TD and SS. The alternate take on LC, however, is brilliant, imo.

PMS is ok, not much more than that. Some nice bass playing though, and I like the drive in the choruses. It didn´t take long before I got tired of the verses and the bridge. Taylor´s playing is pretty standard, without his usual passionate phrasing.

All in all a fairly good stones tune, imo.

Well in all fairness, isn't all Stones playing pretty standard, apart from their compositions? Their power comes from every one giving 20% of the cake imo.

Date: December 11, 2010 14:33

I don´t think they do (apart from Mick J. and Bill) on PMS. By standard, I mean going through the motions.

Date: December 11, 2010 14:37

Well I meant the Stones in general.
Keith is a big drive on PMS as well,even if it's just a loop.
Same for Charlie.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 11, 2010 14:38

proudmary
That's an intriguing theory in New Yorker's article

“Plundered My Soul,” which was released as a single in advance of the reissue, is the best of the lot, with witchy backup vocals and nasty lyrics (one of the lines in the chorus is “I thought you wanted my money,” but at one point Jagger appears to sing “I @#$%& your woman for money”). No band has ever been this beautifully crass for this long."

"I @#$%& your woman for money" - it's obviously a hint to Anita thing during "Perfomance". Which means this song is devoted to Keith?
What do you think, does it make sense?

Read more [www.newyorker.com]

If you want those words, you can sort of force yourself to hear them in what Mick sings - but personally I think it's wishful hearing. He pronounces "thought" exactly the same way in the "thought you wanted my loving" line - unless the New Yorker has an alternative meaning for that one too - and their interpretation doesn't fit the rest of the lyrics at all.

It must be interesting and frustrating to write lyrics when you know that the world is willing them on to be nice and dirty. If everyone is going to "hear" filth and crassness in whatever you write, you might as well write it that way in the first place!

As for Plundered My Soul: well, it still makes me smile when it comes round on the random playlist.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 11, 2010 14:41

>> What do you think, does it make sense? <<

nope! especially because he doesn't sing that. did the New Yorker seriously say he does?! eye popping smiley
someone posted that "mis-hearing" here but i was sure it was a joke

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 11, 2010 15:23

Amsterdamned
Keith is a big drive on PMS as well,even if it's just a loop.
Same for Charlie.

Wow, is there looping in this song? Are you sure of that? I really love this song, but for some reason that would disappoint me.

Date: December 11, 2010 15:29

Never heard about the loop before Amsterdamned mentioned it. If there is, there are several loops, because not only do Keith plays the rhythm guitar on the verse differently a number of times, the same is also the case with the chorus. On the bridge he is more or less absent.

Date: December 11, 2010 15:40

I didn't mean loop literally,but even if.

Date: December 11, 2010 15:44

proudmary

"I f*cked your woman for money" -

Green Lady

"I thought you wanted my loving" -

...There's a great thread on IORR about misheard (Stones-)lyrics;
this definitely is a 'classic' in the making!! We should include it there immediately.
>grinning smiley<

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Date: December 11, 2010 15:44

He´s a big loop drive then winking smiley

Date: December 11, 2010 16:30

DandelionPowderman
He´s a big loop drive then winking smiley

That's a tricky one DP .cool smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 11, 2010 16:35

Amsterdamned
I didn't mean loop literally,but even if.
thanks for clarifying

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: December 11, 2010 17:18

I still think its great. It does have the magic, that feel, that still excites me every time I hear. Obviously its great to hear Mick Taylor on it, but the Stones were great with Ronnie too (just listen to Handsome Girls). What sticks out to me is Bill. Bill is great on this track and reminds me of how much better the Stones were with Bill and how much he brought to the band's sound. This song shows how powerful the rhythem section was because of how tight Bill, Charlie, and Keith were together... the best!

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 11, 2010 17:46

I love it. It truly is the best thing since Tattoo You. I wish the single version was on the album instead of the less Taylor mix that is on the album.

Maybe if we're lucky UMe will actually be "forward thinking" and put out a Stones comp with the single mix on it.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 11, 2010 17:48

A real gift. A classic new track from the classic line up. I still get chills when I hear the intro, and as it gathers itself up and chugs into Mick's vocal. Never thought we'd get something of this quality again. Thanks, boys.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: December 11, 2010 18:01

PMS is a great song, Completely agree it's their best work since Tattoo You. Love it!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 11, 2010 18:44

I would love to hear the reaction of Keith, or Mick, if you told them the best thing about PM was Bill, and thanking them for reminding them how great Bill was. I would also like to see the looks on their faces before they sputtered and came up with some awkward reply.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 11, 2010 18:49

The whole exile 'part deux' is excellent generally, but PMS is a real standout.
Love the vocals - I recall a number of people originally had a problem with both Mick's delivery and the background vox, but I think they are excellent.
Best album since undercover if not tattoo you.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 11, 2010 20:06

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-11 21:42 by kleermaker.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2439
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home