Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Inaccuracies in Life?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 10, 2010 08:31

................................Keith Richards 1997

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: December 10, 2010 10:17

LeonidP
Gazza
LeonidP
[Nothing at all. It's an observation from Keith. Too many people read way too much into it. It's an unbelievable stretch to equate this with picking cotton if the fields for the white man. And still it's possible that this story is true. It's been told by Keith for years, and though Muddy's family might say it's inaccurate, I've never read that Muddy himself, while alive, has ever denied it.

Well, maybe he was unaware of the story. I dont recall it being mentioned by Keith prior to the interview for "25 x 5" in 1989. Muddy had been dead for over six years by that point.

I agree with your comment that to equate Keith's quote with racism to be preposterous.
Yes, definitely possible that Keith's memory has been altered. Still anyone that tries to bring up the race card w/ Keith (not you, of course), especially in regards to Muddy Waters, has no idea how much respect & love Keith has shown Muddy over the years, up until Muddy's death.

I think what people object to is that it sounds a bit patronising. But I think Keith was just naive and expressing his amazement that a blues legend was not living like royalty. From what I have read, Chess Records was like a family and it's highly possible that MW would have helped paint the ceiling if it needed painting, just as he helped the young Stones unload their gear.

I think Keith is entirely sincere in the interview above regarding his feelings about black people. This may underscore some of the difficulties he has had with Mick, who does not share his working class roots, and who has always sought out the company of upper middle and upper class people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-10 10:18 by Bliss.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 10, 2010 10:39

Rockman

it just....blows me away that he can say something that silly and ridiculous with a straight face.

"i've spent half my life in back rooms with black guys"-no keith,you've spent 2/3s of your life living in mansions and being shuttled around the world in private planes and the other 3rd back in london your skinny white ass was not hangin in any back room with the brothers.

to me the other side of the tracks is where i can really rest" ah ha ha ha ha ha really???? holy f/cking shit!!!!

its actually like when my little niece would say"i've been outside ,flying with birds"and everyone would say"wow,great" the sad thing is there are actual adults that listen to keiths nonsense and not only take it as true but as gospel. vanilla ice didnt have this much nerve,i mean really dont you guys ever feel even a little embarrassed?

keith really has become what we call in america a celebretard.they live in such a bubble that they dont even understand the basic idea of being condescending.keith,those people you're "hangin with" have job titles,they work for you.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 10, 2010 11:06

Well, I think it's time to lighten up this heavy conversation with a bit of music from the
Checkerboard lounge. Enjoy:

Date: December 10, 2010 11:32

lem motlow
Rockman

it just....blows me away that he can say something that silly and ridiculous with a straight face.

"i've spent half my life in back rooms with black guys"-no keith,you've spent 2/3s of your life living in mansions and being shuttled around the world in private planes and the other 3rd back in london your skinny white ass was not hangin in any back room with the brothers.

to me the other side of the tracks is where i can really rest" ah ha ha ha ha ha really???? holy f/cking shit!!!!

its actually like when my little niece would say"i've been outside ,flying with birds"and everyone would say"wow,great" the sad thing is there are actual adults that listen to keiths nonsense and not only take it as true but as gospel. vanilla ice didnt have this much nerve,i mean really dont you guys ever feel even a little embarrassed?

keith really has become what we call in america a celebretard.they live in such a bubble that they dont even understand the basic idea of being condescending.keith,those people you're "hangin with" have job titles,they work for you.

Well. he's clearly spent more time doing private things than touring. And he has a house in Jamaica. How do you know it's not correct?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 10, 2010 15:48

Very nice bit of music marco. And a very good try

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 10, 2010 15:58

lem motlow
Rockman

Wow, you are seriously a douchebag. First of all, it's most likely not to be taken literally. I've heard many people say things like "I've spent 1/2 my life working" which isn't possible. And, as someone already pointed out, Keith has a home in Jamaica - records with the Wingless Angels there (and spent much time there playing w/ them before he ever recorded with them). Goats Head Soup sessions were done there. Keith & Anita lived there when no other country would have them. Add to it all the shows they have done w/ black blues musicians and the fact that the Stones have black musicians on tour with them (as did the Winos). I am sure if feels like he's spent 1/2 his life in back rooms with them, even if an exaggeration.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 10, 2010 17:05

bustedtrousers
Green Lady
bustedtrousers
Doxa
with sssoul
what Bill "confirms" is that the Stones met Muddy Waters at Chess Studios,
and that he helped them carry their gear inside. everyone present seems to agree on that

Exactly. As far as I know no one denies that - that the Stones met Muddy (and many of their other heroes as well, such as Chuck Berry) at Chess - which is not even a story, but a simple fact. But what is disputed it the claim of Muddy painting a roof or a ceiling because his records were not selling at the time. This is a claim made and justified by only one person - Keith Richards who testifies seeing with his own very eyes that Muddy was doing the painting job, even how the white paint was in his black face, when he Stones were visiting the Chess studios. According to Wyman, "it is not most definitively true", and it is denied by Chess people as well. Jagger doesn't remember anything.

I have always wondered the moral of Keith's story. What does he really want to say with it? Or has he ever wondered its consequences? Maybe he tries to be empathic to Muddy but I think he is really offensive for such a humble but a proud man as Muddy Waters, according to the people who knew him, was. The story is denied very strongly in every source I have seen. The belief to counter it is based on that Muddy would have never acted like that in the given circumstances - by that time, no matter how his records were selling, he was a star, an artist, not anyone's "boy". So from that base I think here is a an implicit racism in Keith's story. I wonder why on earth Keith doesn't respect his "hero" any better but uses him as a just another pawn in his story-telling game?

- Doxa

I've always thought that to Keith, the story meant how ironic, and possibly disheartening, it was to meet one of your heroes, and have them be down on their luck. Especially while you are on your way up. And it was a lesson in how things can turn out, how far you can fall. How you can see someone as great, and that they must have a great life, only to learn the reality is much different. I don't think it was racist at all. He was just telling a story, and pointing out the details that stood out to him.

Also, the racism that you think the story infers is, in my opinion, very American-centric. Being an American, and from the south, the line "watching the white paint run down that great black face, and he’s smiling.", does have the scent of AMERICAN racism. BUT, and this is very important, because Keith isn't American, but is BRITISH, I don't think he would speak such words with any racist meaning. I don't think the British in general look at black people in the same way that Americans do. There is a very different history of blacks in Britain, and I don't think Keith would have been, or is, very versed in the American racist vernacular.

Can any of the people here from England verify this. Am I correct in my thinking that the racism towards blacks in England, however it might exist, is significantly different from the racism in America? I get the impression that the racism in England towards blacks is much milder than in America. That what may be racist when said by an American, would likely not be when said by a Briton. Is this true? Is Keith innocent in his way of speaking, because a Brit wouldn't think of a black guy in the same way as an American and, therefore, something that is racist when said by an American, isn't so when said by a Brit?

As far as the story itself goes, I think it's bullshit. From what I've read, Leonard loved Muddy, and whenever Muddy raised questions about, or needed, (his) money, Leonard would give him some. Or buy him a car, or whatever else he needed. Maybe not the best way to answer Muddy's concerns, but not racist either.

Sam Phillips had a habit of buying guys like Carl Perkins a Cadillac whenever they achieved a certain goal in their career. Back then the, "Don't worry, here's a Cadillac" trick was a common thing pulled by guys like Chess and Sam.

Leonard may not have always been completely honest about the money that Muddy generated and was owed for/by Chess, but he always took care of him. I don't think Leonard would have felt right making Muddy do such manual labor for pay. Plus, Muddy still made money on the road during the mid-60's. He always did. If I'm not mistaken, it was always his primary source of income.

And I don't think Muddy ever denied the story personally, because it probably never came up while he was alive. I don't know when Keith first told it, but back when Muddy was still around, I don't think it was well known like it is now.

bustedtrousers, British racism can be just as poisonous as the US variety, but it doesn't have that context of fairly recent slavery/slave ownership or that whole language of "boys" and "plantations". We have different ways of giving and taking racial offence (which I don't think I want to go into). Also, the non-white population of the UK was fairly small in the early 1960s and race/racism was only just beginning to be a significant issue. I don't think for an Englishman in the 1960s the potential racial offensiveness of this situation would be blindingly obvious. And I agree with your take on the "point" of this story as far as Keith is concerned. As I said earlier, I can't see what reason (certainly not a racist one) he would have for making this up, and it seems to be a real, vivid and significant memory for him, which is why he keeps telling it.

If it does indeed cause huge offence, a tactful person might decide that it was now time to quietly lay the story to rest - but Keith? tactful? forget it.

Thank you for the reply Green Lady. I had the feeling that England is as you describe it. And as a result of that context you mention, Keith's "white paint/black face" comment really can't be construed as racial, in the way it could be if said by an American. You guys don't have that horrific master/slave/plantation history, so you don't think in those terms.

When it comes to Keith's story, I think the problem is this. In America, we have painted ourselves into such a corner with racism, that any story which contains a perfectly innocent and descriptive detail, like what Keith said about Muddy's black face, can automatically run the risk of being labeled as racist. And the really sad part is, if Keith were American and I didn't know better of him, I myself may very well have taken some of what he said as racist.

Sadly, I'm not surprised to hear it isn't necessarily any better in the UK, just different. Unfortunately, that seems to be that case all over the world.

Thank you for your insightful replies. My personal take on that is that I don't find anything racial or pejorative in Keith's remark. For that reason I was surprised when I started paying attention to the reactions among 'Muddy's people'. And I can't say that I perfectly understand or agree with those sentiments. I can't. I am sure there is nothing intentionally 'bad' in it. I am sure that Keith admires and respects Muddy helluva lot and he has all good intentions. It is just he unintentionally and unfortunately picks up ideas and words that do not sound nice to some ears. I take to be that even though Keith loves American black culture and all that, he might be "blind" to some crucial features in people's history and life. After reading LIFE this sounds logical - Keith doesn't pay any attention to the point of views of others - how they "feel". I think it is a bit corny that in praising the man he succeeds hurting the real friends and relatives of this man who probably is Keith's biggest hero. And even today, almost pathetically, he insists repeating the story and ignores the perspective of the people close to real Muddy Waters totally.

I think teh Muddy painting story is no a big deal an sich at all - but it is an interesting instance of how an entity called Keith Richards functions.

But thanks to the person who brought here he ALO quote. That might even change my view of the accuracy of the story. Now there is another testimony. The way Oldham picks up Brian's reaction backs up the reliability of the story. It could be the case that it was a kind of fact that people near Muddy don't want to remember.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-10 17:08 by Doxa.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 11, 2010 11:28

winking smiley

(photo: Gene Shaw, the Ritz 1986)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-11 11:29 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: Daffodil ()
Date: December 12, 2010 19:34

crumbling_mice
Has anyone here read Barbara Charone's book on Keith? She lived with Keith and Anita in the period before, during and after he was busted in Toronto. I seem to remember that prior to going to Toronto she describes living with them at Redlands, yet in Life, Keith describes being in central london in the time before he goes. I've searched for my Charone book to check it's not me that is recalling it incorrectly but lord knows where I've put it. Can anyone pour some clarity on this?

Since I don't think anyone has yet answered this question: the answer is that in Charone's book Keith, Anita and Marlon depart to Toronto from Redlands. However, during the previous week (approximately) Keith had attended "an official band meeting organized to renegotiate their new recording contract". So probably Keith is mixing the timelines in Life.

This would be no surprise, since in Charone's account their last weeks at Redlands consist of dealers hanging around and endless arguments between Keith and Anita. However, in the end, "much to the relief of the Stones' London secretary and the entire band, Keith, Anita and Marlon finally board a BA flight. Before leaving they lock up Redlands as if they will never return and bring their dog Tobasco over to Mrs Richards's house. With 28 cases,including numerous guitars, toys, and enough clothes to outfit several large families, they leave five days late."

Charone's book is still one of my favourite Stones books. However, one issue has always bothered when reading the book (probably this has something to do with that I was 12-13 when reading it the first time around 1980, so a child really) is how Charone characterizes and describes Keith and Anita's family. To her, it is apparently totally normal that the family is Keith, Anita and Marlon. Dandelion is mentioned about three times and only in passing. There are several photos of Marlon and none of Dandelion in the book.

Back then, I just couldn't understand how they just could leave a child behind (and effectively out of the family) and it was apparently totally normal to e.g. Charone. In the passage I quoted above even the family dog is mentioned, but not their daughter...

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 12, 2010 20:50

lol, thanks Daffodil, this thread did go all around the houses a bit! Charone's book is one of my favourites too and I thank you for clarifying the bit prior to the toronto bust. Search as I might, I can't find my copy, which is a bit moth eaten but that is due to it being read many times. I tend to believe her timelines more than the ones in Life. I was about 19 when I read it so didn't pick up on the Dandelion thing. I'd bought into the Charone outlook I think, but now you point it out, yeah it's a strange way to live, but as Keith states in Life, it was done to give her stability (don't know why that didn't apply to Marlon!) Maybe it was part of Charone's deal, that she wasn't to discuss Dandelion in any depth so she could have as normal a life as possible in Dartford?

Date: December 12, 2010 21:04

My recollection of this is that Keith's mother Doris had serious objections to Anita from the very beginning, and this was exacerbated when Anita couldn't manage Angela very well on the road (Anita's report). Doris pretty much insisted on taking Angela with her to Dartford to raise her.

Date: December 12, 2010 21:19

Bliss
My recollection of this is that Keith's mother Doris had serious objections to Anita from the very beginning, and this was exacerbated when Anita couldn't manage Angela very well on the road (Anita's report). Doris pretty much insisted on taking Angela with her to Dartford to raise her.

Yeah, I seem to remember reading this Bliss, maybe it was because she was a girl as well....women of Doris's age and at that period tended to give boys more leeway

Date: December 13, 2010 08:15

crumbling_mice
Charone's book is one of my favourites too and I thank you for clarifying the bit prior to the toronto bust... I tend to believe her timelines more than the ones in Life. I was about 19 when I read it so didn't pick up on the Dandelion thing. I'd bought into the Charone outlook I think, but now you point it out, yeah it's a strange way to live, but as Keith states in Life, it was done to give her stability (don't know why that didn't apply to Marlon!) Maybe it was part of Charone's deal, that she wasn't to discuss Dandelion in any depth so she could have as normal a life as possible in Dartford?

You're welcome! I'm glad someone else also appreciates Charone's book, since for a book written from the perspective of a journalist fan`/ press assistant/officer / whatever she was for Keith in the late 70, I think it is a remarkably clear-headed account of Keith's life around 1977-78. Despite clearly being a "Keith fangirl" she gives quite an objective view of the sorry state Keith and Anita were in at that time. The only big thing that disturbs me, in addition to the treatment of Dandelion, is Charone's view that Keith "might actually be able to handle heroin".

As for the Dandelion case (I'm answering also to Bliss's comment here), I think Charone (and most of the other Stones writers too) have done a lot of whitewashing. It can very well be true that Doris insisted on having Dandelion, as she felt that she could give the child a better life - and most probably it is true that she got a better life with her grandmother. However, the main point of the story is that, for some reason, both Keith and Anita (I wouldn't want to put the blame entirely on Anita, as most Stones books/articles do) neglected her and lavished all their attention on Marlon. E.g. Philip Norman's Stones bio describes how Dandelion was left alone to wander around hotel corridors, and when she got sick during one tour, it was Bianca who took her to hospital and visited her there. So it really seems that, for one reason or another, Dandelion was deserted by both her parents, which is really a horrible thing.

Date: December 13, 2010 08:29

Doris was a very strong-minded woman and Keith was close to her til she died at a very old age. Anita wouldn't have stood a chance against her, considering her long crime sheet.

But it's clear that both Keith and Anita favoured Marlon. Angela was born with a harelip and had difficulty talking. I have read that Marlon bullied her cruelly. Being taken by Doris was probably the best thing that could have happened to her.

Date: December 13, 2010 08:51

Bliss
Doris was a very strong-minded woman and Keith was close to her til she died at a very old age. Anita wouldn't have stood a chance against her, considering her long crime sheet.

But it's clear that both Keith and Anita favoured Marlon. Angela was born with a harelip and had difficulty talking. I have read that Marlon bullied her cruelly. Being taken by Doris was probably the best thing that could have happened to her.

My main point still is at Doris "took" Dandelion because she was neglected and deserted. She didn't "take" Marlon because Marlon was cared & loved by his parents, however unconventional his upbringing might have been.

Plus that Anita isn't/wasn't a weak woman either. If she (and Keith) had wanted to keep Dandelion, she/they would have. For some reason, they didn't really care about her.

As I wrote earlier (and you say too) , probably living with Doris was the best thing that could happen to Dandelion in the circumstances. When reading "Life", I was really disturbed when reading the account of Marlon's life in Connecticut in the early 80s, too: how he was left with the hangers-on and dealers.

That both of Keith and Anita's children have apparently grown up to be "normal" people, content with their lives, is a great thing and seems almost like a miracle. But still the "whitewashing" of these events and Dandelion's early childhood in particular bothers me.

Date: December 13, 2010 09:21

Daffodil
Bliss

My main point still is at Doris "took" Dandelion because she was neglected and deserted. She didn't "take" Marlon because Marlon was cared & loved by his parents, however unconventional his upbringing might have been.

Plus that Anita isn't/wasn't a weak woman either. If she (and Keith) had wanted to keep Dandelion, she/they would have. For some reason, they didn't really care about her.

As I wrote earlier (and you say too) , probably living with Doris was the best thing that could happen to Dandelion in the circumstances. When reading "Life", I was really disturbed when reading the account of Marlon's life in Connecticut in the early 80s, too: how he was left with the hangers-on and dealers.

That both of Keith and Anita's children have apparently grown up to be "normal" people, content with their lives, is a great thing and seems almost like a miracle. But still the "whitewashing" of these events and Dandelion's early childhood in particular bothers me.

Sure, I agree with you. But take a look at some of these pics where Angela is clinging pathetically to Keith, on what must be a rare visit.

[rollingstoneskids.multiply.com]#

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 23, 2010 09:18

BTW - on the subject of inaccuracies - Bill German points out that Keith got the date of his dad's death wrong by two years -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-23 09:45 by hbwriter.

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: December 23, 2010 11:30

I think keith meant that in the america of the 50'S and 60's, il you were a superstar, a musician who sold a lot of records, but a black man, you could as the same time being the guy who repaints ceilings or walls. But It was in Chicago and not in the south. I think, he would expected to see this kind of situation, something conform what he read and learnt before coming to the USA. Anyway Keith tells this as a tale. Perhaps I'm wrong. But like says Jean-Pierre GAUFFRE on France-infos "mais vous n'êtes pas obligé de me croire".(in french in the text).

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 23, 2010 17:29

Rockman

YEAH that Keith ...So disrespectful ta Muddy and Muddy so rude ta Charlie ....

Heck the shakin' from laughter is nearly enough to stop ya playin' their records for a m..m..minute or t..t..two ...

funny about keith kneeling down and kissing Muddy Waters's hand here--in Life, he has a laugh at Tom Jones for doing just the same thing when he meets Little Richard on that first package tour.

Date: December 23, 2010 20:01

Daffodil
crumbling_mice
Charone's book is one of my favourites too and I thank you for clarifying the bit prior to the toronto bust... I tend to believe her timelines more than the ones in Life. I was about 19 when I read it so didn't pick up on the Dandelion thing. I'd bought into the Charone outlook I think, but now you point it out, yeah it's a strange way to live, but as Keith states in Life, it was done to give her stability (don't know why that didn't apply to Marlon!) Maybe it was part of Charone's deal, that she wasn't to discuss Dandelion in any depth so she could have as normal a life as possible in Dartford?

You're welcome! I'm glad someone else also appreciates Charone's book, since for a book written from the perspective of a journalist fan`/ press assistant/officer / whatever she was for Keith in the late 70, I think it is a remarkably clear-headed account of Keith's life around 1977-78. Despite clearly being a "Keith fangirl" she gives quite an objective view of the sorry state Keith and Anita were in at that time. The only big thing that disturbs me, in addition to the treatment of Dandelion, is Charone's view that Keith "might actually be able to handle heroin".

As for the Dandelion case (I'm answering also to Bliss's comment here), I think Charone (and most of the other Stones writers too) have done a lot of whitewashing. It can very well be true that Doris insisted on having Dandelion, as she felt that she could give the child a better life - and most probably it is true that she got a better life with her grandmother. However, the main point of the story is that, for some reason, both Keith and Anita (I wouldn't want to put the blame entirely on Anita, as most Stones books/articles do) neglected her and lavished all their attention on Marlon. E.g. Philip Norman's Stones bio describes how Dandelion was left alone to wander around hotel corridors, and when she got sick during one tour, it was Bianca who took her to hospital and visited her there. So it really seems that, for one reason or another, Dandelion was deserted by both her parents, which is really a horrible thing.

Interesting and a thought crossed my mind that maybe, and I only speculate respectfully, but could it be that Angela might not have been Keith's?

Date: December 23, 2010 22:20

According to Greenfield's latest book, there was quite a lot of drama about Angela's paternity, some people thinking Mick might be the father. It was eventually accepted that Keith was her father, but this event was a serious blow to Mick and Keith's r'ship.

Date: December 23, 2010 22:36

Hmmm...Bliss, that might just explain quite a lot of the way Angela was treated as opposed to Marlon

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: December 24, 2010 00:39

crumbling_mice
Hmmm...Bliss, that might just explain quite a lot of the way Angela was treated as opposed to Marlon

Why this? Mick and Anita slept during the shooting of Perfomance in the end of 1968 and Marlon was born in 1969. So why the possibility that Mick might be the father of Angela too should have had more impact on Keith?
And Marlon as Angela are his children not Mick's. I don't even believe that Mick had an afair with Anita in 71.

Date: December 24, 2010 01:24

proudmary
crumbling_mice

Why this? Mick and Anita slept during the shooting of Perfomance in the end of 1968 and Marlon was born in 1969. So why the possibility that Mick might be the father of Angela too should have had more impact on Keith?
And Marlon as Angela are his children not Mick's. I don't even believe that Mick had an afair with Anita in 71.

I don't think we will ever know the answer to that one, but with Jaggers insatiable appetite for beautiful women and Anita's free and easy approach to most things, It is a strong possibility it did happen. Jagger did it to Clapton's girlfriend and others. As regards the dates for the birth of Marlon and Angela you are correct they don't add up with the theory///but that's al it was a possibility

Posted by: Marie ()
Date: December 24, 2010 01:52

Marlon was born in August, 1969. Angela was born in April, 1972. For what it is worth, Tony Sanchez in Up and Down With the Rolling Stones depicts fights between Anita and Keith over Angela. But look at her... she looks just like Keith as does Marlon. Strong gene pool there. They also had a son named Tara born in 1976 named after the Guinness heir Tara Browne who had died ten years earlier, ironically on Keith's birthday, in 1966. While everyone knows about his death being immortalized in A Day in the Life, some don't know that Tara's Browne's older brother, Garech Browne, was a founding member of The Chieftains. Tara Browne was also a very good friend of Paul McCartney and Brian Jones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-24 01:56 by Marie.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: December 24, 2010 01:54

who cares

Date: December 25, 2010 22:44

lol, I care MArie, always interesting to read about musical connections and thanks for the Sanchez info - I've not read that book and can't seem to be able to get it anywhere

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 25, 2010 23:47

mickscarey
who cares
About you? No one.

Date: December 26, 2010 08:59

For crumbling_mice,

[www.abebooks.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1463
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home