Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
what if 'Plundered...' had been released 'as new'?
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 2, 2012 21:11

Talking about the limited info given when Tattoo You came out made me wonder about what we'd've all thought if Plundered My Soul had been presented to us as 'new' material...

Obviously we'd've been stunned by the sound of it (the swing of the drums and the bass in particular), but no one would've believed they had recorded this recently, right?

(or if they had, they would've slated it! >grinning smiley<)

Re: what if 'Plundered...' had been released 'as new'?
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: September 2, 2012 21:13

"Swing"

Yep.

Something didn't move the same when Bill left.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 2, 2012 21:24

Well, no one knowleldgeable would have been fooled if it had been released as new. It's so obviously Bill playing bass, which is actually one of the main selling points of the song, along with Mick sounding like early 70s Mick, with some brilliant lyrics.

And if it had been released in the Exile era it would have been too similar to Tumbling Dice.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 3, 2012 05:54

Keno would have scored it a 6.8 if it was new.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: September 3, 2012 06:33

It's the same thing on "Tops", no one can think on Chuck Leavell when you are listening to Nicky Hopkins, you'll easilly find the difference. It's the same on here:

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Date: September 3, 2012 10:15

peoplewitheyes
Talking about the limited info given when Tattoo You came out made me wonder about what we'd've all thought if Plundered My Soul had been presented to us as 'new' material...

Obviously we'd've been stunned by the sound of it (the swing of the drums and the bass in particular), but no one would've believed they had recorded this recently, right?

Would have been received pretty much as Saint Of Me did, imo. Good song, nothing special.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 3, 2012 11:02

24FPS
Well, no one knowleldgeable would have been fooled if it had been released as new. It's so obviously Bill playing bass, which is actually one of the main selling points of the song, along with Mick sounding like early 70s Mick, with some brilliant lyrics.

And if it had been released in the Exile era it would have been too similar to Tumbling Dice.

Mick J or Mick T? In any case, both added their parts in 2010. Only drums, rhythm guitar and bass are from '71. And they are fantastic.

Mathijs

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 3, 2012 11:58

DandelionPowderman
peoplewitheyes

Would have been received pretty much as Saint Of Me did, imo. Good song, nothing special.

Nothing special?? I can't agree with that, I'm afraid.

Saint of Me was very good, but Plundered My Soul is right up there with the greats, IMHO.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: September 3, 2012 14:49

I would have thought: 'better than anything on ABB, Ronnie's really improved'

Date: September 3, 2012 14:53

buffalo7478
I would have thought: 'better than anything on ABB, Ronnie's really improved'

From Look What The Cat Dragged In, too?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 3, 2012 15:34

This is a hard question, but I think "Plundered My Soul" equals to TATTOO YOU stuff in the sense that there were great, potential stuff on the vaults which, for some reason or other, didn't have room for the original records. And just like the vaults stuff in TATTOO YOU was seemingly stronger than the stuff in EMOTIONAL RESCUE, "Plundered" is way better than anything they have released in their previous albums. (Actually I would claim it is their best song since TATTOO YOU material).

I don't think that knowing its historical source actually makes us believe that the song is better than it is. Besides, I find rest of the EXILE BONUS material rather mediocre (even though I admit liking "Following The River" very much). "Plundered My Soul" just hapen to be a wonderful track. Period.

- Doxa

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 3, 2012 15:54

I agree. It's the stand out track from the Exile bonus material. The rest are good.. but you can see why they didn't quite make the cut at the time.

The SG bonus stuff is another kettle of fish altogther.
Really hangs together as an album in its own right.

The really tantalising thing about the SG extra's is that the band could still make a very good fist of performing all these songs live,
If only !

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 3, 2012 15:55

Wouldn't people have felt cheated or deceived if they's tried to pass it off as new? At this stage, they are quite beyond tricking their fans with another Tattoo You type job whether with just one song or an album full. Besides, the song sounds too old to be passed off as new--Jagger likes to go for the trending pop sensibilities of the moment, because he likes the idea of the potential hit single.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 3, 2012 17:06

If PMS was released as new, I would have bought the 45.

Wait, I did.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 3, 2012 17:18

"Plundered My Soul" and "Pass the Wine" were both great. The rest of the reworked tracks didn't do much for me. Felt the results were stronger a year later with the redone SOME GIRLS project. Really enjoyed "Do You Think I Care?" and "When You're Gone." The thing of it is, if there are new Mick vocals singing new Mick lyrics, I think of it as a new song, not a reworked outtake. I certainly can't pretend that Mick in 2010 or 2011 sounds like he did in 1972 or 1978.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 3, 2012 17:31

Terrible song. A joke.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 3, 2012 17:58

tomcat2006
DandelionPowderman
peoplewitheyes

Nothing special?? I can't agree with that, I'm afraid.

Saint of Me was very good, but Plundered My Soul is right up there with the greats, IMHO.

I agree. For all its 'oldness', (and its a fantastic musical track)..... what drove the song was Jagger's performance, great lyrics and passionate delivery.
That trumps everything.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: September 3, 2012 19:53

A worthy farewell, musical wise.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 3, 2012 19:58

If it had been promoted and released as an all new track, I'd still have been thinking that the lead guitar is irritating.

Date: September 3, 2012 19:58

peoplewitheyes

Just think, they stopped at late 1972 recordings for Tattoo You for Mick to finish. They found these 1971 tracks for Mick to finish in 2010 or whenever. What if Mick had said to Chris Kimsey, 'let's go back even further' and found this song (or whatever else) back then? Granted, it wouldn't have MT on it but you get the point.

Obviously there is a plethora of vocally unfinished songs they could work on from various sessions.

Date: September 3, 2012 20:04

VT22
A worthy farewell, musical wise.

Yawns and bogey's to that.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 3, 2012 20:19

Plundered would have fit nicely on side one of Exile but there are so many fine songs on the album I can see why it was left off. I like alladin Story and Ain't Signifying as well I think those could have fit on the album as well. If Plundered were on the original album it would be right up there with the rest of the Exile songs. Sorry Hismajesty Taylor's solos are quite melodic and flow beautifully brian jones could not touch him on guitar!.

Date: September 3, 2012 20:52

slew
Sorry Hismajesty Taylor's solos are quite melodic and flow beautifully brian jones could not touch him on guitar!.

Lol.

Date: September 3, 2012 21:16

LOL all you want Taylor is a great guitar player.

Date: September 3, 2012 21:35

slew
LOL all you want Taylor is a great guitar player.

Lol, he once was, but anyone can play guitar.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 3, 2012 22:15

It would've been bashed to death.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 3, 2012 23:37

One thing clear from a lot of 'new' Stones songs is that they didn't fit the theme or sonic texture of the albums they were recorded around. Once again, Plundered My Soul is too similar to Tumblin' Dice. I love 'So Young' and 'Don't Be a Stranger', but they would have seemed weird on Some Girls.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 3, 2012 23:58

His Majesty
If it had been promoted and released as an all new track, I'd still have been thinking that the lead guitar is irritating.

It's irritating because its edited. Taylof probably played for half an hour, and maybe wasn't too inspired. They took the best bits and edited it all down to one track. And I think this editing wasn't the best job. Also his sound isn't the best -harsh, trebly and a bit fake.

Mathijs

Date: September 4, 2012 00:15

Anyone can play the guitar??? Why aren't you a member of the Rolling Stones His Majesty?

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: September 4, 2012 00:26

Mathijs
His Majesty

It's irritating because its edited. Taylof probably played for half an hour, and maybe wasn't too inspired. They took the best bits and edited it all down to one track. And I think this editing wasn't the best job. Also his sound isn't the best -harsh, trebly and a bit fake.

Mathijs

That's probably the reason why Jagger asked Taylor to participate and the track was released.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1528
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home