Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Any Heart fans
Posted by: tipps ()
Date: August 3, 2012 18:34

Any Heart fans here... besides me.

Re: OT: Any Heart fans
Date: August 3, 2012 19:10

i remember seeing heart in around 1980 at exhibition stadium in toronto, on tour with j geils and the who

i remember that i was surprised by their set, how good they were, and how good that chick could sing

saw them again a year and a half ago or so at massey hall, she can still sing great

covered the who (love reign over me) zep (what is what what should never be) and the stones (sympathy) that time

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: August 3, 2012 20:05

Love them. Went to see them in concert a few years ago, with somewhat low expectations, and damn they gave a real rock concert! I guess I was expecting an oldies show, but there is no rust whatsoever on the mighty Wilsons. Ann's voice hasn't aged at all. Nancy played a fine acoustic set which included a cover of Elton John's "Madman Across the Water."

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: August 3, 2012 20:17

Seen them many times,in fact, they used to play at my high school dances. They were heavily influenced by Led Zeppelin and used to close the dance with Stairway to Heaven. Anne can sing and Nancy can play the guitar.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 3, 2012 21:27

Love me some Heart. My current band is playing both Barracuda & Alone. Can't wait until I can "feel" Barracuda and can quit having to count all of the 3/4 5/4 7/4 9/4 measures. Also REALLY thankful that our lead vocalist lowered the key of Alone by a step as I can actually hit the background vocals in the lower key. In the higher key I sound like a dog whistle trying to hit those notes. Also fun in Alone is the fact that the bass part actually gets to play a mixolydian scale. Finally all those theory classes seem worth it! Ha!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 3, 2012 21:29

had some cool hits back in my dj daze...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 3, 2012 21:41

Love that band, especially live. As a warmup act they often blew the headliner off the stage. Loved that they were playing Zep tunes and pulling it off, even making them their own. In the American midwest they played so many concerts they were probably seen by more of those people than any other band.

To say Nancy can play is a bit of an understatement...what a package!

I always think that first guitarist of theirs was part of the magic. Replaced by someone competent and with all the right sense of fashion (lol) but never quite right for me. The Mick Taylor/Ronnie Wood story repeated somewhat. peace

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 3, 2012 21:52

Always been a fan of Heart. Seattle band but recorded their first couple albums in Vancouver. My older sister told me they played a dance at our highschool back in the early 70's before Dreamboat Annie had been released. George V, where do you live?
Heart is playing at the PNE in Vancouver this month so I might check them out. Ann Wilson has one of the best female rock voices ever!
Recall reading how Manny Charlton, Nazareth guitarist, was pissed off with the band because he thought they stole the riff to This Flight Tonight for Barracuda until Ann laughed and told him they stole the riff from Zeppelin Achilles Last Stand! After that, all was good!

Date: August 3, 2012 22:00

Claire_M
Love them. Went to see them in concert a few years ago, with somewhat low expectations, and damn they gave a real rock concert! I guess I was expecting an oldies show, but there is no rust whatsoever on the mighty Wilsons. Ann's voice hasn't aged at all. Nancy played a fine acoustic set which included a cover of Elton John's "Madman Across the Water."

Wow Madman? I always thought that would make a great acoustic number, tried it on mandolin years ago and it was kinda lame, but since you brought it up here it is. peace

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 3, 2012 22:04

Yes, yes, yes, always been a big Heart fan! So funny to see this thread, I was just blasting Dreamboat Annie on the drive back from the beach this morning. As a young woman who loved rock and roll in the 70's, the Wilson sisters were my idols. I always wanted to sing like Ann and play like Nancy. Kind of fell away from them over the years, but I do have many of their albums and would love to see them live.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 3, 2012 22:18

Long time fan here.

Date: August 3, 2012 22:53

great band

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: August 3, 2012 23:46

Naturalust
Claire_M

Wow Madman? I always thought that would make a great acoustic number, tried it on mandolin years ago and it was kinda lame, but since you brought it up here it is. peace

You see, it does work as an acoustic number! Nice. Your arrangement is similar to Nancy's but she went "bigger" with it emotionally. Drama, drama! as Lulu would say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-03 23:48 by Claire_M.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: August 3, 2012 23:58

DGA35: near vancouver. Which high school?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 4, 2012 01:52

Their early hits are a guilty pleasure.

Date: August 4, 2012 01:59

71Tele

you carry around way to much guilt. shake it off, man...

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 4, 2012 02:03

yes

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 4, 2012 02:04

Sorry, but a soft, female Led Zeppelin is not my idea of a party. Unless it's this. This is a party!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-04 02:08 by tatters.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 4, 2012 02:09

StonesTod
71Tele

you carry around way to much guilt. shake it off, man...

Oh Tod, you have no idea how much...

Date: August 4, 2012 02:33

tatters
Sorry, but a soft, female Led Zeppelin is not my idea of a party. Unless it's this. This is a party!

you're a little heartless at times

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 4, 2012 05:48

Hi George V. Hope Senior Secondary. I still live here but work in Chilliwack! I think there are/were a few others on this board that are from BC.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 4, 2012 05:51

I was reminded of them the other day when "Crazy on You" came on at the grocery store. Or maybe it was "Barracuda." Either way, I felt it was unnecessary to be subjected to the song again. Or to have any rock music playing at the grocery store, really.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-04 06:09 by cc.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 4, 2012 05:58

They thought this was good enough to have included it on an official release. That's about all you need to know about Heart.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-04 06:04 by tatters.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: August 4, 2012 06:20

Always like them. Somewhat "underrated" perhaps...to start that again...

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: August 4, 2012 17:06

Always loved them. Saw them twice on the Brigade Tour. At one show I had front row seats, right next to one of the PA stacks. They rocked hard and Nancy was on fire that night. I was nearly deaf for about two weeks after that show!

Date: August 4, 2012 19:27

Claire_M
Naturalust
Claire_M

You see, it does work as an acoustic number! Nice. Your arrangement is similar to Nancy's but she went "bigger" with it emotionally. Drama, drama! as Lulu would say.

Drama is best saved for the queens. I would love to hear that Heart version someday. Who is LuLu? peace

Date: August 5, 2012 04:02

mr_dja
Love me some Heart. My current band is playing both Barracuda & Alone. Can't wait until I can "feel" Barracuda and can quit having to count all of the 3/4 5/4 7/4 9/4 measures. Also REALLY thankful that our lead vocalist lowered the key of Alone by a step as I can actually hit the background vocals in the lower key. In the higher key I sound like a dog whistle trying to hit those notes. Also fun in Alone is the fact that the bass part actually gets to play a mixolydian scale. Finally all those theory classes seem worth it! Ha!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Very nice. I was thinking the reason you're not feeling Barracuda is because you are counting it? Use the force Luke. lol peace

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: August 6, 2012 11:12

stonesdan60
Always loved them. Saw them twice on the Brigade Tour. At one show I had front row seats, right next to one of the PA stacks. They rocked hard and Nancy was on fire that night. I was nearly deaf for about two weeks after that show!

A little addition....When I had front row seats, it was at an amphitheater where the stage had a lip at the front. I was on the right side of the stage and when the band went to the front of the lip, I was actually seeing them from behind which was kind of fun...especially in the case of Nancy, who looked gorgeous that night in very tight white slacks. OK, I'm a pig but she was beautiful. I felt sorry for Ann, who took a lot of flack at the time for being at her heaviest weight, but she still rocked and sang like no one else. I'd love to see them again although I do miss Howard Leese on guitar. Nevertheless, as long as Ann and Nancy feel the muse, Heart will live!

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: August 6, 2012 14:59

stonesdan60
...I do miss Howard Leese on guitar. Nevertheless, as long as Ann and Nancy feel the muse, Heart will live!

I've seen Howard with Paul Rodgers and he's really good. Did he play lead for Heart or share with Nancy?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 6, 2012 15:34

Naturalust
mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

Very nice. I was thinking the reason you're not feeling Barracuda is because you are counting it? Use the force Luke. lol peace

Oh great Obi Wan... If ONLY that was the problem... Unfortunately I've got a drummer who, although he likes to turn the beat around & inside out in straight ahead tunes (where the rest of us wish he would just stay solid), when the song starts throwing 3/4 & 5/4 measures in that force the beat to turn around, he don't do so well. Believe me, the day I know I can turn my back on him and not have to worry about having to rescue him, this particular bass player is going to be spending a whole lot more time on stage in zen meditation mode than the current role of active metronome that I'm having to occupy. This having to cue every single change is getting old.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1951
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home