Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Keith Bashers are Frustrated Musicians
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: November 24, 2010 01:20

So at least one of the boys is prepared...

This was a recent remark by a fan in reference to Ronnie Wood's solo performances. The other boy would have to be Keith.

We all know that Keith is one of the most highly regared guitarists in the world, probably in the top 5 or 10 in the world. He has received accolades from many well-known and talented musicians, who have been blown away by his unique style. He also received praise for his work on A Bigger Bang, from professional critics as well as us ordinary fans. Some would say he was and still is the best ever.

I have a theory. Most Keith Bashers are musicians whose careers are going nowhere, who wish they could achieve stardom, and who have failed to achieve any measure of greatness in music. The name for this feeling is: Jealousy.

Prove me wrong out there, Keith Bashers. Tell me the name of your rock group, the name of your most recent CD, or your last concert appearance. Show us your latest Youtube video. Show us that you are more than mere talk and that you are more than a mere troll on this iorr.org website.

Re: Keith Bashers are Frustrated Musicians
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: November 24, 2010 01:46

Cmon Addicted is that really you?.hot smiley

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 24, 2010 02:05

flilflam
I have a theory. Most Keith Bashers are musicians whose careers are going nowhere, who wish they could achieve stardom, and who have failed to achieve any measure of greatness in music. The name for this feeling is: Jealousy.

Absurd.

Speaking for myself, there is absolutely NO correlation between myself or my "career" as you put it --with Keith's career. A person does not have to be successful or unsuccessful to see the grave differences in Keith's playing the last 5 years. My own abilities have nothing to do with Keith's decline.

1. You're telling me that Keith's playing on "Little T&A" on the Biggest Bang DVD is acceptable?? Where is the rhythm playing? Where is the LEAD work?

2. The fact that Keith doesn't even strap on a guitar AT ALL for "You Got The Silver" during Shine A Light---that doesn't say anything to you? Nor bother you?

3. Keith's long-winded solos during Sympathy on the last tour still move you?

4. His overall lack of taking charge of songs, deflecting to Chuck as leader of the band...is now my fault because my band doesn't have a CD out?? What the hell?

So following your logic...once a musician's career picks up: their Keith-bashing will decrease? Ridiculous.

I'm comparing Keith to Keith. Not Keith to me, not Keith to you, or Joe Schmo. Age is always a factor and I am the FIRST to supply sympathy for that. The arthritis is not getting better, I know that. And I accept it. But what is Keith doing to accomodate that--without letting the music suffer? If Keith has trouble with rhythm playing--then he should permanently stay in Open G tuning. No more standard tuning which is tougher on the hands. Have trouble with solos? Take no more and hand off to Ronnie full time. Can't remember chords? Have his own teleprompter or notes on stage for chord changes. These are just a couple ways he can tweek the current setup so he can accommodate his limitations and still keep the music on its feet.

But when Keith does the bare minimum and practically gives the songs the middle finger because he can't be bothered to remember chords or show any care/respect to the songs he wrote to actually play them from start to finish--well that's not right is it?

What do you expect on a Stones board? Many people here have seen the Stones COUNTLESS times, have walls full of CDs, stacks of DVD (official and bootleg)--we've all seen and heard their music over their 50 year career. The critics and the musicians you mention, may have seen them once or maybe a handful of times. Are they SUPER-FANS that can identity what tour "Start Me Up" is from just by listening to the mp3?? My guess is not. You have to look at the issue in its context. An outsider can give all the praise they want---which is just great. But it's a whole different story when you follow the entire career. Two different views.

it all boils down to the individual fan. If none of these issues bother you--then who cares?? "It's a party...don't take it too seriously!" Great--then don't bother. If I could put in my OWN theory: perhaps the Keith-Lovers AREN'T musicians at all. How about that? Preposterous? Probably. But I thought I'd match your ridiculous theory with a fitting one. I play an instrument, I know the limiations a musician can have, I know how musicians can have up and downs. If anything---we are the MOST understanding for Keith. It is with those "credentials" that we--or I--feel I can say the things I say. Whether or not you or anyone else care to share my feelings or agree---it don't matter a thing to me. And it shouldn't to you either.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 24, 2010 02:34

Well said, Justin. As a none-musician, watching DVD:s of concerts I sometimes can't help thinking: can he really play at all? I think the real problem is that there is probably no one in his inner circle who has the guts to critize him. I do not critize his his heart or his loyalty to the band, but the fact that his core contribution to the band (playing the guitar) is weakening and has been for quite a while now.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: November 24, 2010 02:42

I still think you are a frustrated musician with limited skills who does not have the balls to let us know who he is or what he has done musically. I judge Keith's work not so much by his performance on a given day at a given city but on his studio work only. That is all that will be remembered. The studio work is unsurpassed by very few musicians.

Justin, anyone who would spend that much money going to COUNTLESS Stones concerts is something of a nut case. You might want to find other hobbies besides listening to Stones music and analyzing each and every note. This sounds obsessive to me.

We are still waiting for your most recent Youtube concert performance. You do not have one, do you?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 24, 2010 02:43

It's exactly the opposite of what you said. Musicians who fell in love with Keith because of his great feel and playing cannot stand to see his decline as a guitarist. This is the guy who inspired me to pick up a guitar. Just compare his solo work on "Sympathy" on Ya-Yas with what he has done on that song in recent years. Pathetic. What we can't stand is the "Emperor's New Clothes" attitude where one is not supposed to notice how far the skills have deteriorated in recent years, or care. Call me a "Keith basher" if you must, but I'm not jealous, I'm saddened.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 24, 2010 03:00

keith bashers? huh? we're all stones fans here, dude....

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 24, 2010 03:10

flilflam
I still think you are a frustrated musician with limited skills who does not have the balls to let us know who he is or what he has done musically. I judge Keith's work not so much by his performance on a given day at a given city but on his studio work only. That is all that will be remembered. The studio work is unsurpassed by very few musicians.

Justin, anyone who would spend that much money going to COUNTLESS Stones concerts is something of a nut case. You might want to find other hobbies besides listening to Stones music and analyzing each and every note. This sounds obsessive to me.

We are still waiting for your most recent Youtube concert performance. You do not have one, do you?

I'm still waiting for you to show some class. You do not have any, do you?

I still think this is a crap thread with a dead-end argument led by a thick poster who throws out cheap shots and acts more like the trolls he criticizes in his own posts.

I don't recall any criticizing regarding Keith's studio output on this board but only critique about his recent performances on stage. So if that's the motive of your one dimensional post--you're in the wrong room, chump.

Posted by: matsumoto33 ()
Date: November 24, 2010 03:28

flilflam
So at least one of the boys is prepared...

This was a recent remark by a fan in reference to Ronnie Wood's solo performances. The other boy would have to be Keith.

We all know that Keith is one of the most highly regared guitarists in the world, probably in the top 5 or 10 in the world. He has received accolades from many well-known and talented musicians, who have been blown away by his unique style. He also received praise for his work on A Bigger Bang, from professional critics as well as us ordinary fans. Some would say he was and still is the best ever.

Prove me wrong out there, Keith Bashers. Tell me the name of your rock group, the name of your most recent CD, or your last concert appearance. Show us your latest Youtube video. Show us that you are more than mere talk and that you are more than a mere troll on this iorr.org website.

Hmmm, by the same token, professional athletes should only be judged by other professional athletes, movie directors by other movie directors and so on. Not sure what the point of this would be. It would certainly make your monthly music magazine a lot less interesting (not to mention shorter). If we all had to follow your impossibly high standards before expressing an opinion, very few of us would be able to say anything about anything. Have you ever voted in a national election Flilflam........?

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: November 24, 2010 04:29

You complain and call people who has criticized Keith Richards "mere trolls"...Your post is the very definition of a troll thread...absolutely nothing to say and only insulting other people to get reactions...you're the troll.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 24, 2010 05:42

You have misplaced the burden of proof fliflam. You have made the assertion that all Keith bashers are frustrated musicians it is therefore up to you to prove your "theory", not those whom you have labeled as bashers. You have made a statement but have not provided anything to substantiate your claim. Your logic, if it can be called that, is flawed and so therefore your argument is invalid...

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 24, 2010 06:12

an elegant and generous response as always, Chris.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 24, 2010 06:39

Nicely put ChrisM

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 24, 2010 07:52

71Tele
It's exactly the opposite of what you said. Musicians who fell in love with Keith because of his great feel and playing cannot stand to see his decline as a guitarist. This is the guy who inspired me to pick up a guitar. Just compare his solo work on "Sympathy" on Ya-Yas with what he has done on that song in recent years. Pathetic. What we can't stand is the "Emperor's New Clothes" attitude where one is not supposed to notice how far the skills have deteriorated in recent years, or care. Call me a "Keith basher" if you must, but I'm not jealous, I'm saddened.

Ditto. When I was younger, a teenage girl with a guitar, and other musicians would condescendingly say 'You want to be Joni Mitchell...?' I would say, "@#$%& no, I want to be Keith Richards...'
This is the dumbest theory I've heard from the Stones fan yet.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: November 24, 2010 08:06

stupidguy2
71Tele
I'm not jealous, I'm saddened.

Ditto. When I was younger, a teenage girl with a guitar, and other musicians would condescendingly say 'You want to be Joni Mitchell...?' I would say, "@#$%& no, I want to be Keith Richards...'
This is the dumbest theory I've heard from the Stones fan yet.

You both took the words out of my mouth, except I was a teenage boy with a guitar... a horrible Russian acoustic!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 24, 2010 09:15

Who's bashing Keith? angry smiley or Brian or Mick or Ronnie..

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: November 24, 2010 09:33

Ok, let's see what he wrote:

"Most Keith Bashers are musicians whose careers are going nowhere, who wish they could achieve stardom, and who have failed to achieve any measure of greatness in music. The name for this feeling is: Jealousy."

I've seen this countless times. Disillusioned musicians, earning small money as teachers in their home town an playing a local bar once in a while, who bash Keith and the rest Stones for their so called "limited" technical skills. Of course it's because of jealousy.

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: November 24, 2010 09:38

I don't consider myself a basher but I don't like much of his post 1980 work and I think he is a dick to Brian and Mick. I like him very much in his younger years but don't like how he turned out. Is that fair? BTW I am not a musician.

Date: November 24, 2010 10:04

Bärs
who bash Keith and the rest Stones for their so called "limited" technical skills.

I for one don't care about technical skills, Keith has played some of the greatest rock guitar ever recorded AND has written some of the best songs ever. Plus he developed an original style out of the Blues and Chuck Berry. Too bad he doesn't deliver anymore (by the evidence I've seen & heard).
I'm beginning to think this thread shows a certain jealousy towards musicians in general - I don't know what a frustrated musician is, I'm freaking happy I can play guitar and write songs as a hobby, makes working "9 to 5" for money that much easier to take.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-24 10:05 by Child Of Clay.

Date: November 24, 2010 10:22

Child Of Clay
Bärs
who bash Keith and the rest Stones for their so called "limited" technical skills.

I for one don't care about technical skills, Keith has played some of the greatest rock guitar ever recorded AND has written some of the best songs ever. Plus he developed an original style out of the Blues and Chuck Berry. Too bad he doesn't deliver anymore (by the evidence I've seen & heard).
I'm beginning to think this thread shows a certain jealousy towards musicians in general - I don't know what a frustrated musician is, I'm freaking happy I can play guitar and write songs as a hobby, makes working "9 to 5" for money that much easier to take.

Yes, and I beleive that the intention of the original post was to criticize hard core Stones fans who criticize Keith, even though the poster doesn't say it - and I don't think he's right either. But in general there is some truth in what he wrote.

What I don't get is the emotional involvement some fans display. I think it's a fair to say what you say: He doesn't deliver any more (if you think so). But to patronize him and act like some father who is sad and depressed for Keith's "decline" - that's just hilarious. I don't think we have the right to take that attitude. That's disrespectful towards Keith.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: November 24, 2010 10:26

ROPENI
Cmon Addicted is that really you?.hot smiley
No - I had nothing to do with that one.
I bet you're disappointed, Ropeni.
That one's probably written by a relatively young fan.
I'm just an old hag, remember!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 24, 2010 10:29

Bärs
That's disrespectful towards Keith.

Keith has no problem being very disrespectful to others so he should have no problem about being disrespected.

Date: November 24, 2010 10:35

Bärs
What I don't get is the emotional involvement some fans display. I think it's a fair to say what you say: He doesn't deliver any more (if you think so). But to patronize him and act like some father who is sad and depressed for Keith's "decline" - that's just hilarious. I don't think we have the right to take that attitude. That's disrespectful towards Keith.

That's a valid point!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-24 10:35 by Child Of Clay.

Date: November 24, 2010 10:35

His Majesty
Bärs

Keith has no problem being very disrespectful to others so he should have no problem about being disrespected.

Well, don't criticize Keith for being disrespectful then...

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: November 24, 2010 10:37

Sorry Flimflam you are the Troll.

Just because you're successful doesn't mean you're a decent musician. Do you understand how difficult it is to succeed as a musician? By what means are you measuring success? Just because you're a frustrated musician playing to a hundred people in a bar doesn't make you any less successful. Depends on ones level of expectation.

If you want to critique my music, my guitar playing go on, by all means do so. Remember it's easy to be a critic and those that are critics are usually those who have never picked up an instrument. So come on son show us your balls and your critique skills on my music.

Oh by the way I'm not a Keith basher just disappointed that he's lost his way a bit. Can only be expected after you've pumped yourself full of drugs, fallen out of a tree, believe your own myth etc, etc.

Oh ps when your offering a critique of my songs remember that they were recorded at home in a crappy room with a crappy £60 mic on a six year old pc. Unlike the Stones who have access to great studios and the mastering services of Bob Ludwig.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-24 10:42 by NickB.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: November 24, 2010 10:39

His Majesty
Bärs

If you're thinking about his half sentence comment about someones little "Willy", even that was part of a compliment. I'm quite sure you haven't read the book he wrote, because if you had, you would have noticed that on a lot of other pages, he declares his love for Mick. His skills, the old friendship, his work. Please - read it - and get the whole picture - not just the tabloid crap version with stuff that made good and scandalous headlines. If you don't want to buy it - borrow it at the library, because it's quite stupid when people who obviously haven't read the book have strong opinions about it.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 24, 2010 10:42

Bärs
His Majesty
Bärs

grinning smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 24, 2010 10:44

Bärs

>grinning smiley<

LOL You just got to love the logic in that one.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: November 24, 2010 10:44

NickB
Oh by the way I'm not a Keith basher just disappointed that he's lost his way a bit. Can only be expected after you've pumped yourself full of drugs, fallen out of a tree, believe your own myth etc, etc.

In other words you're disappointed that he had an accident and swollen finger joints.

That's generaous.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 24, 2010 10:52

If somebody bashes an untouchable player like John mc'Laughlin,or some other great player,I would agree.

To me it's just sad to see how musicians ruined their health,an cannot play decent anymore, even at a relatively young age, but still keeping up the appearance.
A player should be ambitious: poor or rich,talented or just a good artist.
Or just quit and don't ask money if you want to please people with your music.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-24 10:55 by Amsterdamned.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2342
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home