Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: 40th Anniversary Live At Leeds Super Deluxe TRAVESTY
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 18, 2010 16:49

straycatuk
CousinC
So what about the Hull performance?
Good? Weak? Better than Leeds?

Daltry recently said Hull was a better performance.

Of course he said that. They want you to BUY the damn thing.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 18, 2010 17:03

whitem8
UnderAssistantWCpromoMan
I'd probably skip this and trade for a bootleg, I mean, it's so unauthentic and I'd really rather hear what went down, warts and all.

It really kinda chapped when in '79, Entwistle went back to the studio to "RE RECORD HIS BASS PARTS" for the soundtrack of QUADROPHENIA. WHY???? Everyone has their own favorite Who LP and QUAD was mine. It was perfect, it captured some awesome performances, it was recorded well - and I mean, did anyone have trouble hearing John's bass on "THE REAL ME"? I mean, at best, it was just a waste of time. I could never listen to the soundtrack to QUAD for that reason, but I listened to the original the past two nights in a row. Boy, the bass sure is loud on that LP!

Actually, Enwistle remixed the tracks and added bass to only The Real me, and there is an alternate version of The Real Me recorded with Kenny Jones on The Max R and B box set. All the tracks were different mixes bringing the vocals up and added three songs that weren't on the original. The excellent Four Faces is worth the price of the collection alone. Disc one was incedental music from the Movie, and some good stuff indeed. I thought it was a cool sountrack, and should be viewed as a soundtrack...

The version of The Real Me with Kenny is from a 1979 rehearsal tape, recorded right after he joined the group. It's a little sloppy. My recollection of the Quadrophenia soundtrack is that it was a double LP, with the first LP consisting of remixes of half of the songs from the original album. Side Three had the three new songs you mentioned, which were all fairly weak, plus, I think, the 1964 High Numbers tracks Zoot Suit and I'm The Face. Side Four contained songs by other artists that were used in the film, such as James Brown's Night Train, Booker T's Green Onions, and the Kingsmen's Louie, Louie.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: November 18, 2010 17:19

Crackling noises are O.K. Do Not Correct!!!"

Date: November 18, 2010 23:33

reg thorpe
Crackling noises are O.K. Do Not Correct!!!"

are you talking about live at leeds? i thought pete said they added the crackling noises

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: November 19, 2010 00:14

To be honest I am little suprised at the howling about this album. I mean Ya Ya's sounds like big overdub and is considered one of the best 'Live' albums ever and you are ripping these guys. Lets be fair now. Or are we just rippping everyone these days ? If you ask me if it sounds good to you listen. If it doesn't put something else on. Live at Leeds sounded pretty good to me.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 19, 2010 03:14

tatters
whitem8
UnderAssistantWCpromoMan
I'd probably skip this and trade for a bootleg, I mean, it's so unauthentic and I'd really rather hear what went down, warts and all.

It really kinda chapped when in '79, Entwistle went back to the studio to "RE RECORD HIS BASS PARTS" for the soundtrack of QUADROPHENIA. WHY???? Everyone has their own favorite Who LP and QUAD was mine. It was perfect, it captured some awesome performances, it was recorded well - and I mean, did anyone have trouble hearing John's bass on "THE REAL ME"? I mean, at best, it was just a waste of time. I could never listen to the soundtrack to QUAD for that reason, but I listened to the original the past two nights in a row. Boy, the bass sure is loud on that LP!

Actually, Enwistle remixed the tracks and added bass to only The Real me, and there is an alternate version of The Real Me recorded with Kenny Jones on The Max R and B box set. All the tracks were different mixes bringing the vocals up and added three songs that weren't on the original. The excellent Four Faces is worth the price of the collection alone. Disc one was incedental music from the Movie, and some good stuff indeed. I thought it was a cool sountrack, and should be viewed as a soundtrack...

The version of The Real Me with Kenny is from a 1979 rehearsal tape, recorded right after he joined the group. It's a little sloppy. My recollection of the Quadrophenia soundtrack is that it was a double LP, with the first LP consisting of remixes of half of the songs from the original album. Side Three had the three new songs you mentioned, which were all fairly weak, plus, I think, the 1964 High Numbers tracks Zoot Suit and I'm The Face. Side Four contained songs by other artists that were used in the film, such as James Brown's Night Train, Booker T's Green Onions, and the Kingsmen's Louie, Louie.
Yes, that is right tatters...but I disagree with your take on the three new songs. Four Faces is fantastic! The Quadro stuff on the disc were the songs from the film, remixed by Entwistle, and a new bass track on The Real Me, and a different ending on that song. I thought that the rehersal version of The Real Me on Max R and B was very interesting. It is very funky and choppy chunks of guitar. Not bad in my opinion. But Quadrophenia is my all time favorite Who Album, and I think much more cohesive and hard hitting than Tommy. Thei are at their peek as musicians on that one...

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: November 19, 2010 08:25

whitem8
tatters
whitem8
UnderAssistantWCpromoMan

Yes, that is right tatters...but I disagree with your take on the three new songs. Four Faces is fantastic! The Quadro stuff on the disc were the songs from the film, remixed by Entwistle, and a new bass track on The Real Me, and a different ending on that song. I thought that the rehersal version of The Real Me on Max R and B was very interesting. It is very funky and choppy chunks of guitar. Not bad in my opinion. But Quadrophenia is my all time favorite Who Album, and I think much more cohesive and hard hitting than Tommy. Thei are at their peek as musicians on that one...

I love The Who, but Quadrophenia's my favourite too, the one I reach for first. I'm a bit baffled as to why it hasn't had the Super Deluxe, or at least expanded treatment Tommy, Who's Next and Sell Out have had. I know Pete was mixing it for 5.1, then gave up because he was bored. I'd love to have a big box set, with both mixes of the album (original and the 1996 version), as well as a 1973 live show.

I wasn't that impressed with Entwistle's film soundtrack remix, and I rarely play it.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 19, 2010 09:54

bands have been altering live recordings in the studio since the creation of multi track machines. nothing that unusual

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 28, 2010 02:41

I got my copy of the 40th anniversary Live at Leeds and Hull today. The hardcover book is lovely, but the Leeds remasterings are the same as were done in 1995 for the non-Tommy material and 2001 for Tommy. So Shakin' All Over from Leeds remains edited (i.e., no Spoonful excerpt in the middle). The vinyl LP from Leeds includes an unedited version of Young Man Blues, instead of the edited version that appeared on the original LP.

The Hull show is newly mastered, but with Entwistle's bass parts from Heaven and Hell, Can't Explain, Fortune Teller/Tattoo, Young Man Blues and Overture lifted from the Leeds show. There's also a patch from Leeds that is used in one of the transition songs (Do You Think It's Alright or There's a Doctor). The lifted bass parts are lower in the mix than those on other songs that were actually recorded at Hull. Notwithstanding all that, the Hull performance is excellent. The Spoonful excerpt is included in the middle of Shakin' All Over. The Hull version of My Generation may even surpass the Leeds one in some respects.

New box sets from Hendrix, Springsteen, the Who and the Stooges have arrived within 10 days, shortly after box sets from Bowie, Dylan and Lennon and live DVDs from two different Stones US tours. The mancave will be rocking!

Date: November 28, 2010 03:17

what was the stooges boxset?

Date: November 28, 2010 03:19

Rhino has re-released the seven disc studio box of Fun House. INCREDIBLE!

Date: November 28, 2010 05:25

Yes, I finally have the Fun House Sessions box. I passed on it 11 years ago in an effort to appear civil and moderate to a then-girlfriend who did not rock. The relationship tanked within a few years, and I had no Fun House Sessions box until today. The original 5,000 copies sold out quickly. I looked high and low, but could not find a used copy at a reasonable price.

Learned a valuable lesson: Don't try to appear moderate on these matters. See as many shows as you can afford. Get all the hotsh-t reissues. Live as large as you can. You won't regret it later.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: November 28, 2010 06:11

Couldn't agree more. And I'm a little surprised at some on the Stooges board who are miffed because Rhino have reissued the Funhouse box. I bought it when it came out but I'm happy for those who missed out then but are now able to get it. Not too concerned about how it affects the value of my "original" copy, I'm never selling that thing anyway.

Date: November 28, 2010 06:18

They are miffed because it was sold as a limited number edition... so when that is the advertised description, and you are a collector, it detracts from the value. I ordered the new one as well, as I too foolishly din't get the original. I have also often priced it on eBay, it was always very expensive. So the value appreciated quite a lot from the original release. But I too can understand why folks are miffed. It is a bummer when you buy the collectable as advertised then it is no longer so collectable. But the originals will still be valuable for their numbered edition. The new ones aren't numbered. Heavy Liquid is another fantastic release by them in limited edition, so I am sure in another few years they will re-release that as well! But it is beautiful with a live disc, tons of great photo postcards and art work from Japanese imports. Very good release, and if you like the stooges I recommend it heartily.

Date: November 28, 2010 06:29

thanks i had no idea that was reissued. i thought maybe you were talking about the raw power boxset but that was not a recent release

Date: November 28, 2010 07:15

Yeah, I understand why they're miffed from a collectors' standpoint but in this case, I just think it's nice that folks who didn't get it before can now without having to pay something crazy like $ 500 on ebay. Y'know, get the music to the people and all that.

Date: November 28, 2010 07:49

i looked at rhino's website and it clearly says the first pressing was numbered and these will not be. that will keep the vakue of the original pressings pretty high

Date: November 28, 2010 09:32

Demand after the first pressing of the Fun House Sessions was sold would seem to indicate that it was a mistake to limit that pressing to 5,000 copies.

Concern about the resale value of the original pressing seems a bit dweeby and elitist. I buy music because I like it (or at least have a curiosity that warrants further investigation), not because I think that, somewhere down the road, I might be able to make some money off this thingy.

Date: November 28, 2010 09:45

Superbly put.

Date: November 29, 2010 02:19

Well you could still buy it as a download. Now I get what your saying about elitist and dweeby, but the other side of it is when you are being told it is a limited pressing and Rhino is trying to sell itself as a boutique label with custome limited release stuff, and if you had taken the initial plunge to get a limited release, well then you will have some folks who are disappointed.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 29, 2010 02:24

A lot of people bought the "limited edition" Beatles Mono Box set as speculators, so I didn't mind seeing them get burned when Apple/Capitol just decided to keep makin' 'em...

Date: November 29, 2010 09:11

Bottom line: buy music for its listening value, not for its potential speculative value.

Date: November 29, 2010 09:40

Yeah, I remember being so excited when I heard about the Funhouse box that I had to rush downtown to my friends' record store to use his computer to order it because I didn't even have a PC yet. Come to think of it, it was the first thing I ever bought online. But at no time that day was I thinking, " God, I'm so stoked about how rare this is going to be in the coming years!". I was thinking, "Every take of every song at the Funhouse sessions. That's just mind-boggling!".

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: November 29, 2010 14:53

ab
Yes, I finally have the Fun House Sessions box. I passed on it 11 years ago in an effort to appear civil and moderate to a then-girlfriend who did not rock. The relationship tanked within a few years, and I had no Fun House Sessions box until today. The original 5,000 copies sold out quickly. I looked high and low, but could not find a used copy at a reasonable price.

Learned a valuable lesson: Don't try to appear moderate on these matters. See as many shows as you can afford. Get all the hotsh-t reissues. Live as large as you can. You won't regret it later.
true, the records stay (in most cases)

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 29, 2010 16:50

alimente
Outright bullshit. Technically, it is possible to take the bass guitar track from one show and add it to the recording of a different show (if you have multitrack tapes), but musically, it wont fit. The Who are not Kraftwerk or Depeche Mode, they dont play every show with the exact same speed, timing, song lengths etc.

Oh it's possible alright: with editing and comping, one could make a totally new song with bass lines and make it fit. Now, is that right? No. But it certainly can fit.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 29, 2010 16:58

keefriffhard4life
i looked at rhino's website and it clearly says the first pressing was numbered and these will not be. that will keep the vakue of the original pressings pretty high

That kind of thing, 'limited edition', is such a farce. The "value" of something one buys is what they make of it, which goes for record shows and websites that sell that kind of thing. If you have something valuable and nobody else knows about it and you throw it away, it's not valuable is it! You have the thing, you copy the CD or whatever, is it still worth a lot? It's the packaging and not the music so much for that kind of thing.

However, for a really good example of both, I managed to find Prince's 'black album' at a yard sale! I friend of mine found it on vinyl back when it came out and then was pulled. I never even knew it was released on CD. So I bought it. It's the genuine album too. I have no idea what it's actually worth but it's got to worth more than the $2 I paid for it.

Date: November 29, 2010 22:48

the black album was released on cd in the mid 90's as a limited edition

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: December 9, 2010 03:59

Question: this youtube video says Live At Hull, but it's not and the cover states live at Woodstock, but I don't think so. Anybody know where this recording is from ???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-09 04:00 by custom55.

Posted by: bigtyke66 ()
Date: December 9, 2010 07:56

custom55
Question: this youtube video says Live At Hull, but it's not and the cover states live at Woodstock, but I don't think so. Anybody know where this recording is from ???

It's definitely not from Woodstock because YMB wasn't played there. Actually I doubt anyone one knows where this version is from. It's included in a compilation called the "The Fall Tour Acetates" and others. The tracks were supposedly rescued from tapes of the 1969 Fall US tour for an album that never materialised. Live at Leeds appeared instead.

If you're interested I suggest you check these out:

[www.dimeadozen.org]

The first torrent has this version of YMB (track 12).

[www.dimeadozen.org]
[www.dimeadozen.org]

All of these torrents are the best versions of these 1969 Fall Tour soundboards--absolutely classic Who.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-09 08:01 by bigtyke66.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: December 13, 2010 01:21

bigtyke66
custom55

It's definitely not from Woodstock because YMB wasn't played there. Actually I doubt anyone one knows where this version is from. It's included in a compilation called the "The Fall Tour Acetates" and others. The tracks were supposedly rescued from tapes of the 1969 Fall US tour for an album that never materialised. Live at Leeds appeared instead.

If you're interested I suggest you check these out:

[www.dimeadozen.org]

The first torrent has this version of YMB (track 12).

[www.dimeadozen.org]
[www.dimeadozen.org]

All of these torrents are the best versions of these 1969 Fall Tour soundboards--absolutely classic Who.

thank you !!! these are Who classics.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1459
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home