Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ronnie Feel Like Playing Revisited
Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: November 15, 2010 15:22

Ok now the dust has started to settle I still love this album! I have given this to several friends to have a listen and they were very apprehensive at first, but they really like the album. I think this is easy on the ears and very enjoyable (I don't think you can honestly say that about the last couple of Stones albums). I'm not bashing the Stones (I'm a huge fan!) I just wish they could make a record as good as this.

John Nicholls

Re: Ronnie Feel Like Playing Revisited
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 15, 2010 15:33

john nicholls
Ok now the dust has started to settle I still love this album! I have given this to several friends to have a listen and they were very apprehensive at first, but they really like the album. I think this is easy on the ears and very enjoyable (I don't think you can honestly say that about the last couple of Stones albums). I'm not bashing the Stones (I'm a huge fan!) I just wish they could make a record as good as this.

John Nicholls

Agree, I love it too.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: diego ()
Date: November 15, 2010 15:43

I agree also. Great, great album. Ronnie seems to be really focused, alive and HAPPY, don´t you think so?
Finally, after all the cheap talk about Ana Araujo, she seems to be doing a very good job with Woody, isn´t she?

Date: November 15, 2010 15:52

Awesome album!

Posted by: belld ()
Date: November 15, 2010 16:07

In my humble opinion it is a good album, not a great album. However considering Ronnies recent history it may well be a masterpiece! It has 3 very good tracks and no real weaknesses apart from the odd lyric.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 15, 2010 17:30

I also love this album and play it a lot - and definitely more than I did ABB at this stage following its release.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: November 15, 2010 17:50

diego
I agree also. Great, great album. Ronnie seems to be really focused, alive and HAPPY, don´t you think so?
Finally, after all the cheap talk about Ana Araujo, she seems to be doing a very good job with Woody, isn´t she?

I think Ronnie was still with Kat when this album was recorded (spring '09?).

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 15, 2010 18:28

it's ok. I listened to it a few times before deleting it from my pc. As I recall, the best song is "Catch You."

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: November 15, 2010 18:39

I don't listen to it more often than ABB. But I think it has some well stolen things from Keith and Mick solo albums and of course from ABB.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: November 15, 2010 18:47

I Gotta See is probably the best song a Stone has written since Wandering Spirit or Evening Gown and those songs were 17 years ago!!!!
Woody should for sure get decent input on a new album (if one appears)

Date: November 15, 2010 19:08

Reading Ronnie's interview a while ago, it seems his friends helped him with songwriting.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 15, 2010 19:52

Very good album. What I truly love, besides Ronnie's singing and playing is JK's drumming and BF's vocals. They truly give a touch of class!

On the other hand, as I already noted, I am quite surprised to see how many of those who like Ronnie's album dislike ABB, because for me these are two very similar works. Both are consistent and not over produced, guitars upfront and stripped down bands. I do like them both a lot.

C

Date: November 15, 2010 20:00

jamesjagger
I don't listen to it more often than ABB. But I think it has some well stolen things from Keith and Mick solo albums and of course from ABB.

Feel free to explain! Now I'm getting curioussmiling smiley If you're thinking of Thing About You, it's not Ronnie's fault that Billy Gibbons is a Keith fan - and plays a couple of milliseconds of 999 in there.

What do you think are inspired by Mick and ABB?

Date: November 15, 2010 20:01

gwen
Reading Ronnie's interview a while ago, it seems his friends helped him with songwriting.

Kristofferson, Vedder and Bernard. Who else? Didn't catch that interview, I think. Link?

Date: November 15, 2010 20:05

liddas
Very good album. What I truly love, besides Ronnie's singing and playing is JK's drumming and BF's vocals. They truly give a touch of class!

On the other hand, as I already noted, I am quite surprised to see how many of those who like Ronnie's album dislike ABB, because for me these are two very similar works. Both are consistent and not over produced, guitars upfront and stripped down bands. I do like them both a lot.

C

I like ABB, too. Although it's not amongst the better stones albums, imo. The best stones albums are fantastic, though smiling smiley

I think Ronnie's album has a more organic sound than ABB. Seemingly, people have a beef with the mastering (levels) of ABB. The playing, songwriting and mixing (apart from a couple of places) are good, imo.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 15, 2010 20:17

don't you think I Feel Like Playing has mastering issues, too? Seems like everything is LOUD, even on a quiet track like the last one, which is a nice tune but an unimaginative arrangement.

Date: November 15, 2010 20:25

When I listen to I Gotta See that thought never crosses my mind...

Posted by: Sespin ()
Date: November 15, 2010 21:18

I love the Song "Forever" - this song really has a feeling of playing!!!

Ronnie should do some songwriting for the next album...

Date: November 15, 2010 22:26

I think it was the nice interview he did before having lunch with Mick, Obama and Clinton. It said that Lucky Man was Bob Rock it seems, Thing About You Gibbons... and I Don't Think So I always thought came from Bernard and Blondie.

[exploremusic.com]

Edit - Actually this could the one:
[blog.masslive.com]

Not that I mind, Ron is being honest about the cooperations and the result is way beyond expectations - but I wouldn't consider I Feel Like Playing a testimony of Ronnie's songwriting.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-15 22:42 by gwen.

Date: November 16, 2010 01:06

gwen
I think it was the nice interview he did before having lunch with Mick, Obama and Clinton. It said that Lucky Man was Bob Rock it seems, Thing About You Gibbons... and I Don't Think So I always thought came from Bernard and Blondie.

[exploremusic.com]

Edit - Actually this could the one:
[blog.masslive.com]

Not that I mind, Ron is being honest about the cooperations and the result is way beyond expectations - but I wouldn't consider I Feel Like Playing a testimony of Ronnie's songwriting.

Lucky Man is co-written by Eddie Vedder from what I've heard. I haven't heard that Billy wrote Thing About You, where did you get that? I Don't Think So is obviously about Jo. If that's not the case it would surprise me.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: November 16, 2010 01:17

Great album - very listenable, high repeat value!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 16, 2010 01:25

I still like it.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: November 16, 2010 02:03

'I Don't Think So'. That song blows me away. It's my favorite Woody song since his first solo LP way back when.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 16, 2010 09:29

Safe album but carries none of the underlying brutality & tension of Bigger Bang ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 16, 2010 09:56

Like I said in the previous thread - the most consistent album by a Stone or the Stones since Talk Is Cheap. Ronnie done good.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 16, 2010 12:57

Good Job Ronnie!!!!!!!!!
I like it much more than BtB for example

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: November 16, 2010 15:15

Rockman
Safe album but carries none of the underlying brutality & tension of Bigger Bang ...
Hey Rockman safe is just fine with me. Like I said I think it's very enjoyable to listen to all depends what rocks your boat I suppose.

John

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: November 16, 2010 16:47

I'll be listening to this one for a long time.
It's a keeper!

Date: November 17, 2010 01:20

DandelionPowderman
Lucky Man is co-written by Eddie Vedder from what I've heard. I haven't heard that Billy wrote Thing About You, where did you get that? I Don't Think So is obviously about Jo. If that's not the case it would surprise me.

From said interview:

Billy Gibbons would be passing through and say, “I’ve got a song for you, ‘Thing About You.’

The chorus from I Don't Think So I believe evolved from a jam Blondie & Bernard recorded and that was put online by Rasputin Redrum, although the finished song is quite different.

About Catch You:

Tell me about the song “Catch You.”

That was from my friend Bob Rock and his partner down in Hawaii.

And Lucky Man:

Once again Bob Rock said “Ronnie I’ve got the grain of a song for you, take it your way.” He said “Here’s the thing, ‘Oh I’m a lucky man.’”

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1657
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home