Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith Richards: The Musical....could it happen?
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 11, 2010 10:33

so today I'm walking down Mission Street in San Francisco and see this billboardfor something called PIMP: THE MUSICAL.

and for some reason that sparked my mind to meandering and made me go hmmm...I can almost see LIFE being turned into a Major Motion Picture...and eventually a Broadway-ish type musical. The life of Keith Richards, per his autobiography, dramatized and set to music.

What dyall think?

Man, that would chafe Mick, wouldn't it!

swiss

Re: Keith Richards: The Musical....could it happen?
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 11, 2010 11:12

swiss
so today I'm walking down Mission Street in San Francisco and see this billboardfor something called PIMP: THE MUSICAL.

and for some reason that sparked my mind to meandering and made me go hmmm...I can almost see LIFE being turned into a Major Motion Picture...and eventually a Broadway-ish type musical. The life of Keith Richards, per his autobiography, dramatized and set to music.

What dyall think?

Man, that would chafe Mick, wouldn't it!

swiss

But why do you want the musical about only Richards and not the Rolling Stones in the whole?
it's weird

Posted by: folke ()
Date: November 11, 2010 11:14

Don't we all hate musicals?

Date: November 11, 2010 11:16

Isn't it all already set to music?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 11, 2010 11:22

PIMP: THE MUSICAL smiling smiley

LOL, and what part exactly got your mind working ... PIMP or MUSICAL ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 11, 2010 11:25

There just isn't enough tragedy in Keith's life to make a successful musical or opera. He will die old, rich, famous and surrounded by a large loving family.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 11, 2010 16:21

Bliss
There just isn't enough tragedy in Keith's life to make a successful musical or opera. He will die old, rich, famous, jealous, grumpy, full of shit and myths and surrounded by a large loving family that undoubtedly loves him even in his various conditions.

Sorry - I had to, er, correct it for ya!

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: November 11, 2010 18:21

I would love to see it, but only if Mick writes it.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 11, 2010 18:29

gives me the creeps just thinking about!

please refrain.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 12, 2010 07:29

proudmary
But why do you want the musical about only Richards and not the Rolling Stones in the whole?
it's weird

proudmary & all smiling smiley

I didn't say (a) I like musicals (b) want a musical, or (c) am hoping for a musical about Keith only vs the Rolling Stones.

I said I was walking down the street and saw a bizarre billboard for Pimp: the Musical, which led to musing that, in this nutty wonderful world in which we live, many odd things are being turned into musicals.

Why did I think of Keith? Well, like many people, I am reading LIFE right now (still not too far into it). To my delight and surprise, Keith has packed his life story full of compelling amusing moving anecdotes--and vivid imagery--which could/can easily translate into a flick (or for that matter a stage musical). Not to mention the colorful characters who have been part of his life (andthe color way he's painted them).

Why do I think Keith and not the Stones would get turned into a musical? The spirit of the times would embrace a Keith musical. Band and group musicals already had their day -- they're passe.

Keith's book is now---and, with its brilliant release timing vis-a-vi-s Christmas gift shopping and "2010 Best Of" lists, is ensured to remain for a long time--on the Best Seller List.

This is just the beginning of LIFE's success. All kinds of babyboomers and Gen Xers will be catching Keith Fever when word spreads virally what an enjoyable a read LIFE is, and how likable Keith comes off (mostly).

If there were a LIFE musical, the formula for musicals is usually: songs from the person's early life (e.g., infectious WWII songs, plus stuff like funny British tunes Keith's attractive zany family would sing together); early RnR music popular during Keith's teen years; then Stones songs (whole or or smatterings) discussed by Keith in LIFE; and songs in that "musical-y" way of people bursting into song to convey a point or emotion.

I don't love that shit---but in general people DO love that shit. You heard ithear first (sorry, open-g....I find musicals in also the same creep-out category as clowns, so I do understand).

- swiss

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 12, 2010 08:12

You can bet it's being pitched in some producer's office as we speak! I can just see a line of chorus boys singing "Satisfaction". Mark my word, this will happen.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: November 12, 2010 09:02

folke
Don't we all hate musicals?
Yes, we do!
And so does Keith.
However, I have heard talk of someone wanting to turn LIFE into a movie. Unfortunately that's all I know so far.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 12, 2010 09:08

Everything can happen.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 12, 2010 09:09

Keith Richards: The Movie seems a likelier bet. (Let's hope it doesn't turn out to be another Stoned). And I bet that one is being pitched somewhere even as we speak.

Or maybe not. In a movie you'd need much more accurate lead performance(s) and a decent script - in a musical reasonably good tribute performers can do the job, and the plot is secondary to the music.

But has the fashion for tribute-act musicals run its course? Or are the creators of the genre just running out of suitable subjects?

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: November 12, 2010 11:35

I don't think Keith would even consider selling the rights to a musical producer. He's not exactly desperate for money, is he!? Broadway and Keith doesn't sound right in my ears. Broadway's got the WRONG audience.
A movie however - I've already heard rumours. And the Stones are very well connected with the very best people in the film business.
Guess who Keith shared a private jet with from the Berlin Film festival to NYC after the premiere of Shine A Light! One of his biggest fans. Martin Scorsese.
And they have a great film producer among them - in Mick Jagger. I'm not sure if he'll be the first choice as the film's producer, though. Depends on who first approaches Keith with a concrete offer.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: November 12, 2010 11:41

I hope that The Stones will never be connected with musical in any way. Unfortunately it might easily happen. I am really sick of musicals.

Let me explain - in Prague (where I live..well..close to Prague), there are more musicals currently being played than on Brodway. No kidding. Nearly all of them written by our local "musicians". Absolute sh.t and rubbish. The sad thing is, that those musicals are sold out months and months in advance, while when some major act comes, they have serious problems to sell tickets The Stones sold 30 000 at their last stop in 2007, while the capacity was 60 000. They sold 120 000 ickets in 1994, 100 000 in 1990, 80 000 in 2003. Things have changed. Jerry Lee Lewis concert, which was about to take place the next Monday was cancelled, because the tickets didn't sell at all. Well, the ticket prices were huge, but the musicals are very expensive too, yet people go and fill the places again and again and again.

The general taste makes me sick and sad, since people just want to watch the Idol and if they go to see "live music," they want to see the local talentless "stars" that fill the pages of the local crappy magazines (like The Sun). Vox populi, vox Dei...

Re: a better idea
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 12, 2010 11:49

i cringe at the idea of a Keith bioflick almost as much as i cringe at the notion of a "tribute musical" [gack fu icky bah!]
so can't we have a well-made documentary instead, with Jagger as the producer?
and make it a box set about all the Stones - just keep Scorsese away from it please please

please

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 12, 2010 11:49

skipstone
Bliss
There just isn't enough tragedy in Keith's life to make a successful musical or opera. He will die old, rich, famous, jealous, grumpy, full of shit and myths and surrounded by a large loving family that undoubtedly loves him even in his various conditions.

Sorry - I had to, er, correct it for ya!

Even better!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1748
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home