Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Moody Blues, Tuesday AFternoon
Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: November 10, 2010 02:43

I've been really stressed lately; this seems to be the only song to relax me, so in honor of it being Tuesday (in some parts of the World right now) I wanted to post this great video of the MB live version:

Here are some song facts from songfacts.com:

This was written by lead singer Justin Hayward: "I sat down in a field, smoked a funny African cigarette, and that song just came out. It was a Tuesday afternoon."
On the album, this was listed as "Forever Afternoon (Tuesday)" at the insistence of a producer.

Hayward had a dog named Tuesday. Although he had nothing to do with the song, the dog would respond to his name whenever Hayward played this.
The London Festival Orchestra played on this. The original idea for the album was to record a rock version of a Classical piece called "New World Symphony" by Dvorak.

This song uses a Mellotron. The instrument is a keyboard which triggers taped loops of a chosen instrument recorded at different pitches. It is not synthesized sound, but actual instrument recordings. In this song the recorded loops were strings. The strange and unique quality of the sound comes from the warble in the tape loops as they play back. (thanks, Michael De Lazzer - Studio City, CA)

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Re: OT: Moody Blues, Tuesday AFternoon
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 10, 2010 02:53

Great band listen a lot to them back then...............made some great records .......but sounded a bit dated today, think this is because of the mellotron.

About Justin Hayward..............he was a bit of Mick Taylor great gain for the MB...........

Date: November 10, 2010 03:01

I like the songfact about Hayward's dog Tuesday responding to the recorded song!

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: November 10, 2010 03:36

Great song,
It was one the first songs I remember trying to play on guitar during my British Invasion phase.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 10, 2010 04:31

Is he playing a Mellotron through a Marshall amp? Cool.

Date: November 10, 2010 04:36

71Tele

your guess is better than mine, I have to admit I have a really hard time recognizing who is playing what guitar in many Stones songs. I just love the band, besides many others. The stones have been my #1 since 1978.

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 10, 2010 04:50

marchbaby
71Tele

your guess is better than mine, I have to admit I have a really hard time recognizing who is playing what guitar in many Stones songs. I just love the band, besides many others. The stones have been my #1 since 1978.

He's got a big Marshall amp head on top of the Mellotron. Hopefully it was turned up to 11.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: November 10, 2010 05:04

I've always loved the Moody Blues-- they had a really brilliant string of albums from 1967 to 1972, and a smattering of decent tunes afterward. Those early albums are among my favorite albums of any music and Days of Future Passed is one of the greatest albums ever recorded, really ahead of its time. It was recorded a few years before I was born, but all my life that album has meant a lot to me, still moves me when I listen. Nice to see some appreciation here. They recently released a live recording from Isle of Wight, early 70's... good stuff.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 10, 2010 07:27

NICOS
Great band listen a lot to them back then...............made some great records .......but sounded a bit dated today, think this is because of the mellotron.

think it might rather be the dippy bridge and outro. Galumph-galumph-galumph-galumph. Great opening hook. I hadn't heard the song in years, so had never realized they weren't real strings.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: November 10, 2010 15:45

To me, Days of Future Passed seemed indeed outdted for a long time but only recently I listened to it after a long time and really liked it. It has a nostalgic feeling, that is true, but the songs are great and it is an experience like with the old Miss Marple films - they are black and white and out of fashion but you can't beat them.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 10, 2010 16:32

I listened to them again recently when most of their albums were remastered in 5.1

Unfortunately they do sound pretty dated now but the band, as unfashionably hippy as they were to most of us rock heads, did have a good album's worth of songs.

Ones that spring to mind are:

Tuesday Afternoon
Ride My See Saw
Legend Of A Mind
The Best Way To Travel
Beyond
Candle Of Life
Simple Game
Lovely To See You
Question
The Story In Your Eyes
I'm Just A Singer In A Rock'n'Roll Band

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-10 20:43 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: November 10, 2010 19:36

Thanks March
They are and remain a great band.
PBS runs a special with them every so often.
Lots of really good songs ...
I think my favorite is Question

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 10, 2010 20:20

Live at Red Rocks is a great album.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: November 10, 2010 21:05

I got my only speeding ticket ever, while listening to this song, back in the 70's smiling smiley

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: November 11, 2010 03:13

Ergot derivative, headphones via a valve amp, & the Moody Blues early 70's....I'm being very nostalgic here...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 12, 2010 02:24

The great Moody Blues! This band should be in the rock and roll hall of fame just on the merit of the first "core 7" albums alone. Justin hayward is probabaly the must under rated singer,songwriter, guitarist today. Mike Pinder wrote the book on the mellotron. No one played it any better. No one.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 12, 2010 02:25

sweetcharmedlife

Pick up "Lovely To See you" a double CD set from 5 years ago. It's even better.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 12, 2010 02:35

More Hot Rocks
sweetcharmedlife

Pick up "Lovely To See you" a double CD set from 5 years ago. It's even better.
Ok,thanks.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: November 12, 2010 11:08

Just saw them a couple of months ago at the O2 and it was a great gig. Love a lot of their music.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1633
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home