Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Video: New Barbarians at Knebworth (100,000 in the audience?)...
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 10, 2010 09:50

Sorry if it's been on here before. Here's the first 2 songs from the set. What was always interesting to me was the tug of war between promoter Freddie Bannister's claim of around 40,000 in attendance and Peter Grant's claim of over 100,000. From these brief snippets, it doesn't look like 100,000. But who knows how much this video has been edited and chopped back and forth. Was anyone there for the second Zeppelin Knebworth show?

BTW: It would be interesting to know what the girl in the first 30 seconds of this clip is up to nowadays.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-10 10:08 by tomk.

Re: Video: New Barbarians at Knebworth (100,000 in the audience?)...
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 10, 2010 10:34

the footage of that show is so tragically raggedy but extremely hot -
among other wonders, it proves Keith Richards has music for blood

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 10, 2010 12:02

Official admission for 1979 was 109.000.

Mathijs

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 10, 2010 12:48

I was there for both shows and although I didn't get round to counting everyone you can easily tell there were about 100,000 people there. I took some photos - as well as recording the gig - which I'll have a look for when I get home from work.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 10, 2010 15:16

You made a recording of New Barbarians, Silver Dagger ?
Hey would love to hear that one....maybe it could be shared via torrents ? Remembering your London 1973 recording.....my exceptations are high, concerning quality...! The recording we have from Knebworth 1979, as it is, is not really good, you know....

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 10, 2010 15:56

I have this entire video and it looks to me like it could have easily been that many people but thats just me.

Date: November 10, 2010 16:16

Erik_Snow
Hey would love to hear that one....maybe it could be shared via torrents ? Remembering your London 1973 recording.....my exceptations are high, concerning quality...! The recording we have from Knebworth 1979, as it is, is not really good, you know....

Hi Erik. I have the cassette but have never got round to converting it to digital format unlike some of my other recordings from the 70s.

Date: November 10, 2010 21:15

Silver Dagger
Erik_Snow

Hi Erik. I have the cassette but have never got round to converting it to digital format unlike some of my other recordings from the 70s.

Thanks for reply, SilverDagger - oh, well, but if you find the time one day..... cheers

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: November 10, 2010 21:35

I was also there at the second show...and I would estimate 100,000 plus it was a huge area completely covered with people. The Barbarians were late on rumour was that Keith was arguing with Peter Grant about payment...when he did come on I remember him saying something about he knew we weren;t there to see him and so he wouldn't hang around...maybe silover dagger can remember the exact comment.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: November 11, 2010 11:58

tomk

BTW: It would be interesting to know what the girl in the first 30 seconds of this clip is up to nowadays.

I like her boobies. Small, but classy.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 11, 2010 14:22

the first show on 4th August (which didnt feature the New Barbarians) had a bigger crowd - think it was estimated at around 150,000.

The 11th August show had an attendance reported of being around 40-50,000 less, so the figure Mathijs quotes sounds about right.

I think Todd Rundgren, Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes and er...Chas & Dave were also on the same bill as the New Barbarians and Zep.

Posted by: Oveinvain ()
Date: November 11, 2010 15:01

I was at the first show because I wanted to see The new Barbarians. But they cancelled that gig. sad smiley

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: November 11, 2010 15:31

Video boot on our site: [www.iorr.org]

Terrific page about Knebworth '79 gigs: [www.ukrockfestivals.com]

Posted by: Oveinvain ()
Date: November 11, 2010 15:48

Yeah and you can see some of my photos there

[www.stonesvikings.com]

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 11, 2010 17:20

Hey, Erik. If you run across any uncirculated Barbarians let me know, mate? !!

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: November 12, 2010 10:51

Keith plays terribly in wrong key about 10:04, something he is known to do today. He hasn't deterioted as a guitar player, he's simply doing today what he's always done. Actually Keith sounds now more like he sounded earlier. The sophisticated playing during the Steel Wheels era was a brief and interesting exception in his carieer as a guitar player.

Date: November 12, 2010 11:15

Bärs
Keith plays terribly in wrong key about 10:04, something he is known to do today. He hasn't deterioted as a guitar player, he's simply doing today what he's always done. Actually Keith sounds now more like he sounded earlier. The sophisticated playing during the Steel Wheels era was a brief and interesting exception in his carieer as a guitar player.

How often he does that has something to do with it, don't you think?

He played great from 1963 to 1992, imo. The occasional bum note - so what?

Date: November 12, 2010 11:36

I didn't judge his playing. I noticed that since VL he's been returning to the playing style he had before his solo project in the 80s. The period 1987-1992 is the exception in his career, but people tend to think that he always was as sophistocated and technical as he was then, and that he is now much worse. I don't think that's the case.

1962-1986: raw
1987-1992: sophisticated
1993- present: raw

Date: November 12, 2010 11:42

His solo playing on the 81/82 tour was way better and more technical than anything he did in 1992, so I guess this is a bit more complicated than the eras you suggest here.

And Tie You Up on Undercover may be his best studio solo to date. Let Me Go (Still Life) is one of the best he ever did live, imo.

Date: November 12, 2010 11:49

Ok, sophisticated period: 1987-1991.

Date: November 12, 2010 12:38

Bärs
I didn't judge his playing. I noticed that since VL he's been returning to the playing style he had before his solo project in the 80s. The period 1987-1992 is the exception in his career, but people tend to think that he always was as sophistocated and technical as he was then, and that he is now much worse. I don't think that's the case.

1962-1986: raw
1987-1992: sophisticated
1993- present: raw

The trouble with his so called sophisticated period is that the albums from this time weren't much cop. His best solo album reamins his debut although his latest one runs it pretty close. In that respect give me raw any day of the week.

Date: November 12, 2010 14:04

I never said raw meant bad or sophisticated meant good, and I'm mostly thinking of his live playing on Steel Wheels/Urban tour as sophisticated. I really think that his playing in the video above, including the mistake, is similar to how he's been playing for a while now.

Date: November 12, 2010 14:29

Get it, Bärs.

In 1987 he played some mean Chuck Berry licks in Hail, Hail Rock'n'Roll like he always does. He did it greatly, imo, but with sophistication compared to the Berry licks he was playing in 1972? Wouldn't say that.

In 1988, he played with the Winos. Raw sound, but no brilliance as a lead guitarist, imo. In 1989/90 all of a sudden he was playing fast and extended solos with the Stones (at his peak, imo).

Based on this I would shorten his "sophisticated period" to 1989/90. In 1992/92 his playing started to detoriate, imo.

Date: November 12, 2010 14:49

It's not like he suddenly went from raw to sophisticated and then suddenly back to raw again. It's a question of what he chooses to play. Perhaps the back up musicians 89/90 made it possible to play more lead guitar, but he also seemed to use a larger repertoire of licks, chords and other stuff in 89/90, and now he's back in the more minimalistic style again. There are moments of clear sophistication on Talk is Cheap, the solo on Locked Away for example. And in Beast of Burden (Miami 1994) he suddenly pulls out a very sophisticated solo aswell. Compare that solo with the one in SFTD same show and the difference between his two styles becomes clear.

Date: November 12, 2010 15:06

I think the Music Man guitars had a lot to do with it. They seem extremely light-played. He was getting there in 1988 when he started using them, and by 1989 he was playing fast and fluid solos like on SFTD, Sad, Sad, Sad and Can't Be Seen.

In 1995, the next time I catched the Stones, the Music Man was gone and his playing was less about technique again.

Date: November 12, 2010 15:43

scottkeef

Hi Scott, yes I'll do, mate, of course

BTW - if SilverDagger think his recording is allright - I'd be happy to get the tape transferred and torrented (but there's no pressure on SilverDagger....he's allready shared the finest AUD recording of the European Tour 1973......he's done his share, so to speak! )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-12 17:18 by Erik_Snow.

Date: November 12, 2010 18:14

Erik_Snow
scottkeef

Hi Scott, yes I'll do, mate, of course

BTW - if SilverDagger think his recording is allright - I'd be happy to get the tape transferred and torrented (but there's no pressure on SilverDagger....he's allready shared the finest AUD recording of the European Tour 1973......he's done his share, so to speak! )

God bless you Erik. I need to find it. All my tapes are filed away at my mum's place and I need to go through a lot of bags. The recording is about 8/10. Not the best I ever did but probably not too far from the Wembley 73 one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1742
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home