Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stones to play 100 Club, London, on Dec 1??
Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: November 9, 2010 17:46

praline
Guys... Ronnie is the only Stones who would still play in this kind of club.

Frankly, can you imagine Mick Jagger (and Keith...) in a small club, with no backstage, no security and whatever ? Those people have crazy standards, wherever they go they expect 2 floors of a 5* palace to be booked for them so that they can warm up... plus a security staff that would screen the place 2 days prior to any appearance.

And you think they will all come and have a drink at the bar ?

Charlie did of course play there last year with Ben Waters, Axel, Dave Green, Chris Jagger et al., and....they all stayed behind afterwards and had a drink and a chat at the bar. Pam and I were lucky to still be there, finishing our drinks after everyone else had pretty much left as we had a local hotel and no need to rush oput, and couldn't believe our luck.

Chris

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 9, 2010 17:51

skipstone
Silver Dagger
If the Stones are going to do it then it wouldn't be a fully blown Stones show - rather a short blues set in keeping with the gigs they used to play there in the early 60s.

For that they wouldn't need to rehearse. All it would take is for them to agree on a few old standards. Most musicians worth their salt could pull that off without rehearsing.

Hence the reason the Stones would need to rehearse even those kind of songs. Even Keith has admitted, albeit to his own regard, that he's rusty. But based on the Bang tour, ha ha...

The Stones have only played the 100 Club twice - a pre-tour warm up gig on 31.5.82 (which was attended by mostly family and friends I think) and the Ian Stewart tribute gig on 23.2.86 - which was a private performance not open to the public. They never played it in the early 60s.

As praline says above, a Stones gig - with public access - in that club would be a logistical and security nightmare.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 9, 2010 17:59

Rocky Dijon
The Stones may do that for private functions, but even their guest shots have rehearsals in recent years. They are under too much of a microscope at their ages to risk a rusty set of unrehearsed blues standards in front of the public and have the media and internet run them down for it. Plus, I do not believe the band would play the 100 club outside of a tour unless it was personal like Stu's memorial gig which was not open to the public. I'd love to be proved wrong, but I don't see it happening. I'm likewise skeptical that Ronnie will play a guest shot there next month. All of Keith's pronouncements of sessions and tours should be taken with the same grain of salt as his Winos reunion talk. How many years do we need to have our leg pulled before we stop taking the bait?

Yep - although all their private shows have been during a tour, and havent necessitated rehearsals.

Apart from Knebworth in '76 and the El Mocambo shows in '77, the Stones havent performed a public concert of their own volition outside of the confines of a 'tour' since Hyde Park in 1969.

Every other non-tour gig since then has either taken place within a tour (or a week or two after it).

I suppose you could argue that the two CNIB shows in April '79 would count, but Keith had to play those shows anyway, and the Stones appeared as surprise guests and played a 45-minute set. The 100 Club gig in '86 was a private gig and was basically a loose jam - Charlie wasnt even there for several songs as he was stuck in traffic.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 9, 2010 18:00

Personaly, I think Ronnie and Mick T. will be the only Stones-related guests to make an appearance - unless someone like Chris Jagger decides to tag along. In fact, I wouldn't be too suprised if Taylor fails to make it. It could just be Ronnie.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 9, 2010 18:06

hahahaaha
dream on baby
jeroen

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: November 9, 2010 18:52

If it's a joke...I don't like it.Not good for my heart.
However, I like these kind of rumours since I have tickets for this gig winking smiley

It would explain the cancellation of the ABCD gigs in Milan end november.
You are excused Charlie. See you in London instead. smileys with beer

Anyway, hope Mick T. and Ronnie Wood will show up.... still, I'm dreaming

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 9, 2010 19:18

It has to be said that Jim Driver is known as a purveyor of bad jokes (and I mean Seriously Bad)!

Date: November 9, 2010 19:22

Beast
It has to be said that Jim Driver is known as a purveyor of bad jokes (and I mean Seriously Bad)!

He is probably having a good laugh right now

Posted by: belld ()
Date: November 9, 2010 19:26

Gazza what chance Fred and Barney et al playing at Windsor Park tonight? However i do hope that they do make a significant input to this gig and cause.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 9, 2010 19:28

Big Al
paulywaul
Indeed, one of the good Mr Driver's "special guests" on some night or other in the past turned out to be a "Bob the Builder" lookalike who was er ......... "eminently forgettable" shall we say ?

Who was that, then?

Like I said, "eminently forgettable" ....... haven't got a clue who he was, can't recall the name and don't care to recall it

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: November 10, 2010 08:18

Damn, so it was just a dream last night....

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 10, 2010 10:43

Mick did turn up one night with Chris Jagger at either Bulls Head,Barnes or Half Moon ,Putney a few years ago.A few from IORR were there.Mind you,highly improbable to see him Keith or Charlie there when Mick T and Ronnie are booked.Maybe another night totally unannounced with a musician or band you might not associate them with.Security prevails on nights like December 1st. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-10 10:52 by crawdaddy.

Date: November 10, 2010 10:50

crawdaddy
Mick did turn up one night with Chris Jagger at either Bulls Head,Barnes or Half Moon ,Putney a few years ago.A few from IORR were there.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Bulls Head in Barnes it was. I was here at the time and curse myself for having missed that gig, have no excuses for not having spotted it and going along. Drat !!

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: November 10, 2010 13:29

I just wonder if the Stones did turn up to play without any reahersals, they ought to be able just to pick up their instruments and play without any problem, come on they have been playing for nearly 50 years and if they can't just play without a practice its a pretty poor show. i think they could pull it off easily, I'm not saying they WILL show but just IF they did.

Date: November 11, 2010 10:15

Harm
It would explain the cancellation of the ABCD gigs in Milan end november.
You are excused Charlie. See you in London instead. smileys with beer

Good point there Harm

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 11, 2010 11:31

Harm
Good point there Harm

LOL Harm, you are quoting yourself ???
What bar have you been to ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: November 11, 2010 12:05

Rolling Hansie
Harm
Good point there Harm

Snigger snigger .....! Yeah Harm old son, have you been quaffing champagne cocktails for breakfast ? Wots goin' on ?

Date: November 11, 2010 13:07

paulywaul

Snigger snigger .....! Yeah Harm old son, have you been quaffing champagne cocktails for breakfast ? Wots goin' on ?

No 'harm' in that.......!

Date: November 11, 2010 13:16

paulywaul
Rolling Hansie
Harm
Good point there Harm

No, just my daydreaming...that's all. No harm in that either smiling smiley

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: November 11, 2010 13:25

pgarof
I just wonder if the Stones did turn up to play without any reahersals, they ought to be able just to pick up their instruments and play without any problem, come on they have been playing for nearly 50 years and if they can't just play without a practice its a pretty poor show. i think they could pull it off easily, I'm not saying they WILL show but just IF they did.

Oh come on, now. Have you ever tried it? I have. I'm a member of a band that only gets together occasionally (in memory of a departed musical friend / brother). We've played together in this format for over ten years, but when we get together after a long lay-off, during which time most of us have been pursuing other musical projects, we find that: -

1. Much to our surprise, we still rock together, but...

2. We all forget little bits, e.g, "didn't we usually play that bit twice", "did I miss a verse", etc

The upshot of this is that the first rehearsal cooks at times, but there are plenty of train wrecks, even in songs we know well. If a band are gigging regularly, there's no real need for rehearsals unless you want to work on new material, etc., but if they haven't played together for years, then they DO need to rehearse. Remember that the Stones don't always play everything the same way on every tour. So, no, I don't think the Stones will play without rehearsal. I do hope that those of you able to attend (lucky b*stards) get some surprise guests. Another Stone wouldn't surprise me greatly (and Keith's putting himself about a bit just now), but I don't think the full band is a realistic option. For all you lucky b*stards, however, I would love to be proved wrong.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 11, 2010 13:56

as long as the 100 club is saved,
it doesn't really matter which Stones turn up and which one's don't.

Date: November 11, 2010 22:05

Adrian-L

Quite, lets not lose sight of the bigger picture here. 1st December 2010 is one night, and for all we know ... at that time the 100 Club as we know it might have but a month of its long cherished existence left, and that would be an absolute tragedy. So yes, lets indeed hope it can be saved. Personally, I can't imagine the live music scene in London without the 100 Club; I've been dropping into it for so long now that to think it could no longer be there in less than two months time is quite frankly unimaginable.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 11, 2010 23:12

paulywaul
Adrian-L

Quite, lets not lose sight of the bigger picture here. 1st December 2010 is one night, and for all we know ... at that time the 100 Club as we know it might have but a month of its long cherished existence left, and that would be an absolute tragedy. So yes, lets indeed hope it can be saved. Personally, I can't imagine the live music scene in London without the 100 Club; I've been dropping into it for so long now that to think it could no longer be there in less than two months time is quite frankly unimaginable.

But there is another worthy gig that we should organise a IORR night out for - The Pretty Things - later in the month. Anyone up for it? Always a good show and Dick Taylor is always up for a chat afterwards.

Date: November 12, 2010 04:23

Silver Dagger
paulywaul
Adrian-L

But there is another worthy gig that we should organise a IORR night out for - The Pretty Things - later in the month. Anyone up for it? Always a good show and Dick Taylor is always up for a chat afterwards.

Absolutely, most definitely up for it ... saw the Pretty Things at the 100 Club not that long ago. Fab. some pictures from that gig are in this thread (link below)

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: November 12, 2010 08:48

paulywaul
Silver Dagger
paulywaul
Adrian-L

Absolutely, most definitely up for it ... saw the Pretty Things at the 100 Club not that long ago. Fab. some pictures from that gig are in this thread (link below)

[www.iorr.org]

They played a great show in Glasgow last month - watch out for the acoustic version of "Can't Be Satisfied". Did a mixture of hits, a bit of psychadelia and muchos glorious R&B as she should be played. I'm a Roadrunner, Baby....

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 12, 2010 14:01

paulywaul
Silver Dagger
paulywaul
Adrian-L

[www.iorr.org]

count me in

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 12, 2010 18:17

The Pretty Things play the 100 Club on Fri Dec 17 - the last proper Friday before Christmas. What better reason than that to celebrate a great band, meet some fellow IORRers, sink a few jars and have a great time. I'm in too.

Tickets here: [www.rhythmgigs.com]

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: November 12, 2010 22:39

It might be just me but. Having only been to the 100 Club once. I thought is was an absolute shithole

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: November 12, 2010 23:06

Sometimes one can only judge a shit hole by the turds that pass through it! I love the place.

Date: November 13, 2010 00:32

andy js
It might be just me but. Having only been to the 100 Club once. I thought is was an absolute shithole

It pretty much is a shithole, but what did you go there for ... interior furnishings ??

Were you taking in the flocked wallpaper and chintz curtains - or listening to a shitkicking r n' r band ??

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1760
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home