Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stones to play 100 Club, London, on Dec 1??
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 9, 2010 13:44

This morning I emailed Jim Driver, the guy who books most of the gigs at the 100 Club and asked if there were any spare tickets for the Ronnie Wood/Mick Taylor 'Save The 100 Club' gig on December 1.

Here is his response.

"I hear they're all gone.To make it worse I hear that the entire Rolling Stones are set to show up and play.
I don't have a ticket either.
cheers
Jim"

Knowing how much the Stones love this venue; that Mick Jagger has personally spoken up about saving it; that they played there twice in the 80s then I think the possibility is a strong one.

Here's Mick talking about the 100 Club.
[www.nme.com]

Here's the latest news from today's BBC website.
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Re: Stones to play 100 Club, London, on Dec 1??
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 9, 2010 13:50

Holy S**T! Is this one of Jim Driver's jokes that he so loves to tell???

Date: November 9, 2010 13:56

Beast
Holy S**T! Is this one of Jim Driver's jokes that he so loves to tell???

Really not sure Beast but I wouldn't bet against it.

Posted by: MiCkJaGGeR ()
Date: November 9, 2010 14:01

100 Club Homepage says for Dec. 1: "Another very special guest to be announced."

Date: November 9, 2010 14:05

Correction - it says "other very special guests to be announced". But it's said that from the time tickets first went on sale last month.

Posted by: praline ()
Date: November 9, 2010 14:09

There are always "very special guest" announced, for each shows... even when there is no one.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 9, 2010 14:25

I am the very special guest!!!!!!!!! Ladies and gentleman, here you have the magnificen ".................."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: novica ()
Date: November 9, 2010 14:39

just in case ,prepare your video cameras,microphones ...the whole shebanghot smiley
hope they'll show up, then roof is going up to the sky,and mick & keith hire mick taylor again and hit the road to ...infinity ......
mmmmm....sweet dreams are made of this......

Date: November 9, 2010 14:43

Ok, the Stones (the last time they played together was 3 years ago...) play a gig in a tiny club in London, with Mick Taylor and Wood, and why not Wyman ?

And Brian Jones who was actually living on a secret island, will come back just for the show and they will play a secret album they had kept in a drawer in the 60s.

(an organizer I dont know has said that in an email to someone he does not know either, so that's definitely true).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-09 14:44 by praline.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 9, 2010 14:51

Silver Dagger
This morning I emailed Jim Driver, the guy who books most of the gigs at the 100 Club and asked if there were any spare tickets for the Ronnie Wood/Mick Taylor 'Save The 100 Club' gig on December 1.

Here is his response.

"I hear they're all gone.To make it worse I hear that the entire Rolling Stones are set to show up and play.
cheers
Jim"

Knowing how much the Stones love this venue; that Mick Jagger has personally spoken up about saving it; that they played there twice in the 80s then I think the possibility is a strong one.

[www.nme.com]

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Holy Caramba ... can this be, or can it be another of the good Mr Jim Driver's jokes ? Yikes !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: November 9, 2010 14:57

Definitely glad I have a ticket for this!

However, I can't see all of them turning up. Maybe Mick Jagger as well as MT and RW, but I'd be very (pleasantly) suprised if all of them play.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 9, 2010 15:04

Beast
Correction - it says "other very special guests to be announced". But it's said that from the time tickets first went on sale last month.

That doesnt mean 'we're keeping it a secret'. It could just as easily mean 'we havent got anyone lined up yet'.

Could also just mean that there's an as yet unknown opening act.

The Stones probably havent all been in the same room together at any time in 2010. They're not even due to get together for a meeting until next month. Cant imagine there's even a remote chance of them performing as a band at this.

Date: November 9, 2010 15:07

Silver Dagger

Here is his response.

cheers
Jim"

[www.nme.com]

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Silver Dagger me ole china ... check yer email !!

Date: November 9, 2010 15:08

Gazza
Beast

That doesnt mean 'we're keeping it a secret'. It could just as easily mean 'we havent got anyone lined up yet'.

Exactly - usually it's no more than a ploy to get people to buy tickets.

Date: November 9, 2010 15:35

Beast
Gazza
Beast

Exactly - usually it's no more than a ploy to get people to buy tickets.

Indeed, one of the good Mr Driver's "special guests" on some night or other in the past turned out to be a "Bob the Builder" lookalike who was er ......... "eminently forgettable" shall we say ?

Posted by: turd ()
Date: November 9, 2010 15:37

Chris Barber has been confirmed for this gig.
[www.stereoboard.com]

Only but the inner circle are likely to know if the Stones might (or might not) turn up on the night and are not likely to broadcast it - so this rumour as far as I'm concerned is utter bunkum dreamed up in someone's firtile imagination.

Date: November 9, 2010 15:40

paulywaul
Silver Dagger

Here is his response.

cheers
Jim"

[www.nme.com]

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Silver Dagger me ole china ... check yer email !!

Just checked it your highness and you got mail back.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: November 9, 2010 15:44

If it is true it should put to rest the other band members are pissed off at Keith about his recent book release. It's all about the money honey!

CBII

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 9, 2010 17:00

The rumour is like the Taylor dreamers. Alas, no Taylor, no...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 9, 2010 17:01

paulywaul
Indeed, one of the good Mr Driver's "special guests" on some night or other in the past turned out to be a "Bob the Builder" lookalike who was er ......... "eminently forgettable" shall we say ?

Who was that, then?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 9, 2010 17:12

Gazza
Beast

The Stones probably havent all been in the same room together at any time in 2010. They're not even due to get together for a meeting until next month. Cant imagine there's even a remote chance of them performing as a band at this.

...nor a remote chance that we'd really want to hear them play sans rehearsals...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 9, 2010 17:22

Not a chance. This was just a great way to drum up attention for the 100 Club. A guest spot is possible by an individual Stone, but no way is the band playing there on December 1, 2010.

Date: November 9, 2010 17:24

If the Stones are going to do it then it wouldn't be a fully blown Stones show - rather a short blues set in keeping with the gigs they used to play there in the early 60s.

For that they wouldn't need to rehearse. All it would take is for them to agree on a few old standards. Most musicians worth their salt could pull that off without rehearsing.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 9, 2010 17:35

The Stones may do that for private functions, but even their guest shots have rehearsals in recent years. They are under too much of a microscope at their ages to risk a rusty set of unrehearsed blues standards in front of the public and have the media and internet run them down for it. Plus, I do not believe the band would play the 100 club outside of a tour unless it was personal like Stu's memorial gig which was not open to the public. I'd love to be proved wrong, but I don't see it happening. I'm likewise skeptical that Ronnie will play a guest shot there next month. All of Keith's pronouncements of sessions and tours should be taken with the same grain of salt as his Winos reunion talk. How many years do we need to have our leg pulled before we stop taking the bait?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 9, 2010 17:36

Silver Dagger
If the Stones are going to do it then it wouldn't be a fully blown Stones show - rather a short blues set in keeping with the gigs they used to play there in the early 60s.

For that they wouldn't need to rehearse. All it would take is for them to agree on a few old standards. Most musicians worth their salt could pull that off without rehearsing.

Hence the reason the Stones would need to rehearse even those kind of songs. Even Keith has admitted, albeit to his own regard, that he's rusty. But based on the Bang tour, ha ha...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 9, 2010 17:38

Silver Dagger

Ah, but the Stones were - according to Jagger, anyway - not 'allowed' to perform the 100 Club due to it being a jazz venue.

The Stones didn't perform there until 1982.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()

I seem to recall in the interview with Mick re. the 100 Club that it was stated that he would not be available on the 1st December.
Chris

Satisfied since 1976

Guys... Ronnie is the only Stones who would still play in this kind of club.

Frankly, can you imagine Mick Jagger (and Keith...) in a small club, with no backstage, no security and whatever ? Those people have crazy standards, wherever they go they expect 2 floors of a 5* palace to be booked for them so that they can warm up... plus a security staff that would screen the place 2 days prior to any appearance.

And you think they will all come and have a drink at the bar ?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 9, 2010 17:39

Silver Dagger
Most musicians worth their salt could pull that off without rehearsing.

you're forcing some of us to bite very hard on own tongues, you know...

Date: November 9, 2010 17:40

Silver Dagger

Ronnie has been playing there regularly, cf. Saint Jude's topic on this forum.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1582
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home