Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Plans for lasting tribute to Rolling Stones legends
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: November 9, 2010 03:02

Click on link to see picture, don't know how to copy and paste picture (dosn't seem to work with me)

[www.kentonline.co.uk]

Would you get any Satisfaction from seeing two of Dartford's music legends set in Stones?

That's the question being posed after an artist immortalised Sir Mick Jagger and Keith Richards in a series of statues and claimed they should find a permanent home in the borough.

Professional sculptor Anthony Hawken says there would be no better place to erect the tribute than Dartford railway station, where a chance meeting between the two young musicians in 1962 gave rise to The Rolling Stones.

Mr Hawken said: "I was talking with a friend about famous people from this area and as a football fan he had been up to Liverpool and said the statues of Lennon and McCartney were brilliant.

"We've got the Stones and their roots down here, so we should have something similar for them. There seem to be lots of places in Dartford where a statue could go, but I think the station would be the most fitting place."Mick Jagger returns to Dartford Grammar School

Richards and Sir Mick, who were both brought up in Dartford, first crossed paths as youngsters at Wentworth Primary School before heading their separate ways when the latter secured a place at Dartford Grammar School and the former began studying at Dartford Technical College.

By then Richards, whose first home in Chastilian Road was destroyed by a V1 flying bomb in 1944, was living in Spielman Road, part of the new Temple Hill estate. Sir Mick lived with his parents in Denver Road.

Dartford Borough Council leader Cllr Jeremy KiteKeith Richards said he had hoped to place a commemorative plaque to the pair and the band on the station platform, but plans were put on hold after Network Rail announced proposals for a major refurbishment.

He added: "We do get quite a few tourists visiting Dartford to go to Wentworth School or the station, so I think we would be really keen to do something.

"There are a few options we're considering, and finance is always an issue, but it's certainly on our agenda."

Re: Plans for lasting tribute to Rolling Stones legends
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 9, 2010 03:16

Great ........except that their hairs are to long for that time

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 9, 2010 10:49

the idea is perfect - those statues look deformed, though! eye popping smiley

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 9, 2010 16:18

OMG ... not THOSE statues, they're bloody awful. Great idea in principle, but not using those particular statues, please please please

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: belld ()
Date: November 9, 2010 19:44

Lets have all the London airports named after them-
Michael Philip Jagger Airport (MPJ Airport)
Sir Keith of the Richards Airport.(SKR Airport)
Charles "Dapper" Watts Airport,( CDW Airport)
Ronnie "Sober" Wood Airport ( RSW Airport)
Brian "Musician" Jones Airport ( BMJ Airport)
On a serious note a lasting tribute in their homeland to mark a 50th Anniversary Tour is required. Anyone know Boris`s e mail address?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 9, 2010 19:57

belld
Sir Keith of the Richards Airport.(SKR Airport)
Charles "Dapper" Watts Airport,( CDW Airport)
Ronnie "Sober" Wood Airport ( RSW Airport)
Brian "Musician" Jones Airport ( BMJ Airport)
On a serious note a lasting tribute in their homeland to mark a 50th Anniversary Tour is required. Anyone know Boris`s e mail address?

GatMick & Keithrow?

Date: November 9, 2010 19:58

Paulywaul where are you? Being a local lad may I suggest you organise an IORR online Petition to send to Mr Mayor Johnston? You may even be our representative at such an event.

Date: November 9, 2010 20:10

Green Lady
belld
Sir Keith of the Richards Airport. (SKR Airport)
Charles "Dapper" Watts Airport, (CDW Airport)
Ronnie "Sober" Wood Airport (RSW Airport)
Brian "Musician" Jones Airport (BMJ Airport)

GatMick & Keithrow?

[marching around in protest] but but but what about Bill and Stu?!
okay okay since Bill doesn't fly maybe a highway or train station would suit him better
but the UK needs an Ian "Heir of Pittenweem" Stewart airport!

Posted by: Keefy ()
Date: November 9, 2010 20:21

Cool..But where the F#@k is Brian? and for that matter Bill and Charlie..??confused smiley

Date: November 9, 2010 21:04

Keefy
Cool..But where the F#@k is Brian? and for that matter Bill and Charlie..??confused smiley

the article is about a Dartford tribute, so it's normal that it's focussed on the Dartford Stones.
Brian's already got one in Cheltenham (although anybody deserves a better one than that!)

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 9, 2010 21:55

with sssoul
Keefy

the article is about a Dartford tribute, so it's normal that it's focussed on the Dartford Stones.
Brian's already got one in Cheltenham (although anybody deserves a better one than that!)

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-10 15:22 by Deltics.

Date: November 9, 2010 22:11

with sssoul
Keefy

What about us I hear Charlie and Ronnie shout, we`re not from Dartford. It has to be a "London Stones" lasting tribute.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 9, 2010 22:27

I agree that it should be about the Rolling Stones. If Dartford wants to do something for Mick and Keith thats fine, but London should do something very big. If statues, well what happens to MT and RW...maybe they can rename Hyde Park.... and the statues need to big enough for the Queen to see from her window.

Date: November 9, 2010 22:32

MKjan I jest not, they richly deserve a lasting tribute in central London. Why not? They have put the city on the map for decades and contributed god knows how much to its economy. Why not an IORR petition to the citys Mayor? Lets go.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 9, 2010 23:53

belld
MKjan I jest not, they richly deserve a lasting tribute in central London. Why not? They have put the city on the map for decades and contributed god knows how much to its economy. Why not an IORR petition to the citys Mayor? Lets go.

I agree belld, for the reasons you stated, and it would draw attention to their great songs forever.
Better hurry with this before Buenos Aires does something on a grand scale, and then Keith will weigh in, and there'll be trouble over the Falklands, and well, it's the Rolling Stones.

Date: November 10, 2010 11:58

MKjan
belld

I agree belld, for the reasons you stated, and it would draw attention to their great songs forever.
Better hurry with this before Buenos Aires does something on a grand scale, and then Keith will weigh in, and there'll be trouble over the Falklands, and well, it's the Rolling Stones.
No problem with the Malvinas, Argentina please take back what is your territory.
In many ways it would be much more appropriate for Buenos Aires to give them a lasting and fitting Tribute, they are really appreciated in Argentina even by an incredible number of younger people. Sadly they are not given anything like the same status and accolade in their home country. Shit the UK is more likely to give this to Elton John, Susan Boyle and those other UK icons Abba! The land of the Sun newspaper and X Factor. Enough said.

I recall speaking to a guy at a Wembley Concert a number of years ago. He was accompanied by his 2 young sons of school age. Why were they not at school we joked? Father explained - they attended one of the top Public ( Expensive Residential) Schools in England. When he asked the Headmasters permission to take them out for 2 days it was refused. I told the Headmaster he said emphatically " Don`t you know that the Rolling Stones is one of the greatest cultural icons to ever come from this country" They went to their first Stones concert and many more I suspect afterwards.
Lasting and fitting Tribute,lost cause I guess in the backwater that is the UK.
Honky Tonk Holograms in Hyde Park every year on the 5th of July, but the butterflies can be real.

A statue for Mick Jagger and Keith Richards in Dartford
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: November 18, 2010 12:17

"Sculptor Anthony Hawken is hoping to raise enough money to build a statue of Sir Mick Jagger and Keith Richards in Dartford."

[news.bbc.co.uk]

from BBC News

edit: photograph

edit: Thanks bv for putting my post here where it belongs.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 18, 2010 13:21

Would be great to have a permanent tribute at Dartford station,but unfortunately vandalism will be a problem.It must be a sculpture that is going to be liked by Mick and Keith as well as Dartford residents.That picture of the proposed sculpture is awful.Gotta be better than that.A nice idea for London would be Trafalgar Square on the 4th plinth which is high up away from vandels.A lovely sculpture of the 4 of them playing on the B stage.They have something on there for a year or 2 these days before another ''act'' takes over.That would be realy good. >grinning smiley<

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1746
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home