Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Any Cult Fans Out There?
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 3, 2010 22:51

Electric and Sonic Temple are great rock records.

Sonic Temple always was a title I could have imagined
for a Stones record/tour.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 3, 2010 23:24

Embers and Siberia are excellent new songs. EMAWIAS is just average - too much like The Witch.

Date: November 3, 2010 23:46

skipstone
Embers and Siberia are excellent new songs. EMAWIAS is just average - too much like The Witch.

agreed. i just wish they'd release an entire album instead of these dumb dual disc e.p.'s. dual disc died 4 years ago

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: November 3, 2010 23:53

Wry Cooter
mickscarey
Go. They are great. WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than the Blue Oyster Cult

I am guessing you don't know much of BOC's catalog and since I know virtually nothing of the Cult's then we can agree to disagree!

Love the Stones do we not....

Have seen BOC probably 10 times. Cult WAY better

Date: November 4, 2010 01:38

BLUE OYSTER? (CULT)

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: November 4, 2010 03:55

mickscarey
Wry Cooter
mickscarey

I am guessing you don't know much of BOC's catalog and since I know virtually nothing of the Cult's then we can agree to disagree!

In their prime (1972 -77 approx) BOC had bands like the Cult in their stool. Buck Dharma is one of the top 5 greatest guitarists ever. Their first four albums are classics. They were smart, funny, and burned.... Sorry to tell you that you are just plain wrong!

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: December 17, 2010 13:53

Looking forward to see them ijn June next year at Azkena Rock Festival in Vitoria with Gregg Allman, Black Country Communion, The Avett Brothers, Blue Rodeo, Reverend Horton Heat, Clutch, Bad Brains and New Bomb Turks by the moment...

Carlitos
Tenerife

Date: December 17, 2010 16:15

The 4 new songs are great. Embers, the newest single, is killer.

Posted by: R ()
Date: December 17, 2010 16:42

I saw The Cult a couple weeks ago. Best show I've ever seen them do. Duffy stole the show from Ian who was entirely sporting a "Jim Morrison in the last days look" i.e. aviator shades, looong hair and beard, leather jacket and a bit of a paunch. I thought he was in fine voice but I was not about to spend $80 on a four song vinyl EP however.

Date: December 17, 2010 16:59

Ouch. It's that much for the 4 track vinyl 12" single? Yikes.

Well, if this makes you feel any better, they are recording with 2" analog tape.

I passed on this tour. Too expensive. House Of Blues. I saw them there for the BIT tour and swore I'd never go to the HOB again. The Cult were great but the HOB is a shithole. The attitude of the people there is beyond shitty. So I even passed on seeing one of my faves come back around. It's difficult to stick to one's word like that when it's a band you love.

But I had to. The price for The Cult was only $38. Everything else on top of that, all the stupid shit JOB does to tickets, would have cost me $102.21 for me and my wife.

A ticket to Jazz Fest is $50 and that's for a whole day!

Date: December 17, 2010 17:00

Great, underrated band

Posted by: R ()
Date: December 17, 2010 20:59

skipstone

I passed on this tour. Too expensive. House Of Blues. I saw them there for the BIT tour and swore I'd never go to the HOB again. The Cult were great but the HOB is a shithole. The attitude of the people there is beyond shitty. So I even passed on seeing one of my faves come back around. It's difficult to stick to one's word like that when it's a band you love.

But I had to. The price for The Cult was only $38. Everything else on top of that, all the stupid shit JOB does to tickets, would have cost me $102.21 for me and my wife.

Sorry to hear that. It was a free show here sponsored by the also-ran FM rock station. I was expecting a massive crowd but I'm guessing there was 500-600 people tops in a club built for 1,500.

Date: December 18, 2010 04:42

Grand Rapids?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 18, 2010 16:16

mickscarey

I was never a big BOC fan - but yes, The Cult are great!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 19, 2010 01:56

thumbs upFinally caught a show recently, THE CULT ROCKS!thumbs up

Date: December 19, 2010 02:49

They are very very underrated. Billy Duffy is one of the greatest guitar players in the history of rock I think. He's as good as Angus, Keith, Pete, Jimmy etc. He's in that skool. He likes to work though ha ha...

Date: December 19, 2010 17:32

keefriffhard4life
i just wish they'd release an entire album instead of these dumb dual disc e.p.'s. dual disc died 4 years ago

Well, at least they're releasing new music! I would rather an album myself. Ian keeps saying that the album is dead. Yet bands continue to release albums on vinyl and CD. It's still a ways away from being dead. As long as hard drives continue to crash people will still want to buy a hard copy of something.

At least I will.

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: December 19, 2010 18:17

Saw them last year during their LOVE-Live Tour in Duisburg/Germany. I like them really, but in my opinion the performance of the entire LOVE album killed the first half of the set. It was a very average performance.
After a short break they came back for the second half of their set and then they kicked ass! Tremendous performance and the venue was on fire!
Unfortunately the gig ended after exactly 90 minutes. And that's for 48,- Euros eye rolling smiley

They sold meet and greet packages for 100,- Euros each. Lot of money if you ask me.

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Date: December 19, 2010 19:12

It is expensive time wise to see The Cult. But in a way it's a proper amount of time for a gig. I do wish they'd play more songs - less Edie, more Zap City. I've never read why they play such short shows from the band themselves. Maybe they like to leave the audience wanting more and actually do that. It's not because they're sober. They've played shows that long their entire career. It's just what they do.

Date: December 21, 2010 08:13

Also keep in mind that tickets to go see some other acts - the Stones or Elton John or AC/DC etc are WAY more expensive and not much longer. Elton John tickets are going for as much as $180 - that's pretty expensive for some wig "rock". One can see The Cult for up to 4 shows for that cost!

It's not so much the length of the show but the energy. One should feel alive and ready to eat electricity after seeing The Cult. I can't say that about the Stones.

Date: December 21, 2010 11:34

skipstone
It is expensive time wise to see The Cult. But in a way it's a proper amount of time for a gig. I do wish they'd play more songs - less Edie, more Zap City. I've never read why they play such short shows from the band themselves. Maybe they like to leave the audience wanting more and actually do that. It's not because they're sober. They've played shows that long their entire career. It's just what they do.

I think Astbury always have had trouble doing long gigs. He's saving that fantastic voice way too much live, imo.

I didn't even know of the EP. Gonna grab that one for sure.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 21, 2010 16:11

Is it possible to get Capsule 1 on CD anywhere? I can only find it on vinyl??

Date: December 21, 2010 17:03

VoodooLounge13
Is it possible to get Capsule 1 on CD anywhere? I can only find it on vinyl??

amazon had them but not sure if they still do. the problem is they are dual discs which don't fit a lot of cd players because they are too think

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 21, 2010 18:13

Really? I've never had a problem with a dualdisc.........that's bizarre

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: December 21, 2010 18:16

I wish they would dome stuff from their Cult album. On that record, Astbury is 'THE VOICE' sining at his personal limit such songs as Black Sun or Real Girl....can't get enough of that stuff after all those years!

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Date: December 21, 2010 18:32

VoodooLounge13
Really? I've never had a problem with a dualdisc.........that's bizarre

mainly its car/computer trays have a problem loading them. no to mention since there was audio on 1 side and video on the other 1 side normally always had a factory flaw which is why most companies stopped making them

Date: December 21, 2010 19:39

Wry Cooter
mickscarey
Wry Cooter
mickscarey

In their prime (1972 -77 approx) BOC had bands like the Cult in their stool. Buck Dharma is one of the top 5 greatest guitarists ever. Their first four albums are classics. They were smart, funny, and burned.... Sorry to tell you that you are just plain wrong!

Get your ears checked. You could not be so more wrong

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: December 21, 2010 21:17

mickscarey
Wry Cooter
mickscarey
Wry Cooter
mickscarey

Get your ears checked. You could not be so more wrong

nyah nyah nyah. You heard me!

Happy holidays!

Date: December 22, 2010 07:09

Yeah the first EP/Capsule is out of print now. I gave up trying to find it on Amazon. 5000 (?) copies were made.

Some vinyl still left.

Second EP/Capsule mastered beyond brickwalled - distorted with volume up a bit. Ironically the download sounds better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-12-22 07:10 by skipstone.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1429
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home